Ratings: American Music Awards Even With Year Ago, The Simpsons Drops

ABC’s presentation of this year’s American Music Awards drew north of 12 million total viewers on Sunday night, while scoring a 4.3 demo rating. That marks a sliiiightly larger audience than the 2010 AMAs, while matching that telecast’s all-time low demo.

The 2011 American Music Awards: TVLine Lists the Top 20 Moments

NBC Sunday Night Football of course won the night, and while final numbers aren’t in, it appears be down a bit from last week.

* Due to NFL overrun, the CBS numbers are still scrambled, but The Amazing Race seems to be flat with a week ago and The Good Wife was down a hair, while CSI: Miami took a tumble. All those cop drama aficionados must have leaped over to ABC to see LMFAO in their smiley-face boxers.

* Over on Fox, The Simpsons (5.74 mil/2.7) tumbled more than 20 percent, operating sans a strong NFL lead-in, while freshman Allen Gregory (4 mil/1.9) slipped a few percentage points. Family Guy (6 mil/3.1) and American Dad (4.8 mil/2.4) were flat.

1. Lisa says:

Wow, today’s pop music is really bad. Good thing I taped it so I could blow through all of it. The only good song was the live performance of The Band Perry. Taylor Swift is always sweet and funny.

• CJ says:

I can’t believe people get excited over these two-bit music awards shows that don’t even pretend to reward quality. There are about a dozen of them now, which trot out the same old flash-in-the-pan acts, watch a few of them caterwaul through their “latest hit,” and then give awards for most popular (which is what I thought the charts were for).

2. Lisa says:

Gee, do you think they could have forced more bad Jennifer Lopez promotions on us viewers throughout the entire show?

3. kevin says:

Good news: ONCE UPON A TIME returns next Sunday. Bad news: DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES and PAN AM (retro drama still on the verge of getting canceled when the series is over) returns in just 13 days.

4. Lisa says:

Tony Stewart is the 2011 Nascar Sprint Cup Champion!

5. Saundra says:

Well, the increase in viewers for AMA’s this year, you KNOW was because Adam Lambert “presented”! He’s HUGE! Everywhere he goes the ratings go up. Over 1 BILLION people watched his iconic performance on the MTV EMA’s.

(Yes, that’s sarcasm.)

6. Caiti says:

I actually really enjoyed the Simpsons last night. Jokes about Twilight and writing a novel (NANO season) were well timed, accurate, and funny.

7. Saint Alicia says:

Ugh, babies with AIDS… football continues to eff over TGW. -___-

8. Nitpicking says:

Well, no surprises with the Simpsons. This season has been rather lame.
    I know no one forces me to watch, but I am always hoping they will come up with one of those great episodes, at least, a funny one.

9. Jill says:

My DVR doesn’t realize that football went into overtime and almost every week I only record 1/2 of the Good Wife. I catch the other 1/2 online eventually, but I’m worried about the shows ratings. Older demos are not into watching shows online, and I fear the shows ratings will suffer as people give up after missing it. All because of football. Ugh. I hate CBS for moving the Good Wife to Sunday night.

10. Nero TheTVFiddler says:

ABC had their normal Sunday night lineup preempted last night/Sunday by the AMA event with improved ratings, but for those who may be interested, ABC did announce [last week]their plans for the Sunday (and other nights) lineup in the coming new year/2012 for midseason leading to May 2012. Here’s a quick overview for those who may be reading this Sunday review blog interested in ABC and Pan Am, OUaT, DH, etc. –

Sunday – 7pm American Funniest Video 8pm OUaT 9pm DH 10pm GCB

Pan Am will be replaced at 10pm by GCB (Good Christian Belles) on March 4th. Hence, I assume Pan Am will run its course prior to March – perhaps the additional 5 scripted episodes completed and aired by that time. I’d predicted Pan Am would be moved to Monday in March, but that will not be happening. I was also [unfortunately] incorrect on timeslot for GCB – it will follow DH at 10pm instead of leading into DH at 9pm. We’ll see if that move [keeping DH at 9pm] proves helpful to GCB – I think it is a mistake, but we’ll see.

Monday- 8pm Bachelor [good grief – 2 hours long] 10pm Castle
    Tuesday- 8pm Last Man 8:30 Work It 9pm River[Feb 7th] 10pm BProof
    Wednesday- No changes – Middle/Suburg/ModFamily/HappyEnd/Revenge
    Thursday- 8pm Missing [Mar. 15] 9pm Greys 10pm Practice
    Friday- 8pm Shark Tank [2 hours! Are you kidding me?] 10pm 20/20

Some reality fluff (Wife Swap and Wipeout) fill in during January on Monday at 8pm and Thursday at 8pm. Dancing w/Stars returns in March.

We’ll see how this schedule plays out for ABC. No word yet on where/when Cougar Town will return, and where/when Scandal and ‘B*&* in Apartment 23’ will premiere. I’m disappointed in Pan Am’s fate with this schedule – it looks like it will remain on Sunday’s at 10pm until around February/March [when AMC’s Mad Men returns].

Let’s hope for the best for ABC and Pan Am – it looks like a rough flight ahead, but perhaps with Football winding down on NBC in January, DH and Pan Am may be able to build up audience and ratings a bit. Then we hope for ‘bubble-show’ status, and maybe a bit of good karma for Pan Am come May when Fall schedules are set. That’s probably the best we can hope at this point.