Exclusive

Exclusive: Parenthood Casts Zeek's Mom!

It’s time to meet the matriarch on Parenthood.

Veteran actress and two-time Tony winner Frances Sternhagen has been cast as Zeek’s (Craig T. Nelson) never-before-seen mother, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Parenthood Scoop: Dexter Alum to Romance [Spoiler]!

Sternhagen, whose TV credits include playing mom to John Ratzenberger’s Cliff on Cheers and, more recently, Kyra Sedgwick’s Brenda on The Closer, will appear in one episode of the NBC drama to air in early ’12.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Dana says:

Bravermans are getting bigger.lol I can´t wait for the road trip storyline.

2. kevin says:

The Bravermans are still one of the most dysfunctional families in TV history thanks to PARENTHOOD even more dysfunctional than the Walkers (Brothers and Sisters) or any other fictional families that I can think of. Wouldn’t mind how the season will end come February 28th even with a Season Four on the horizon.

3. tdoa says:

If Parenthood were about a “functional” family, there would be no story. It’s my go to show since end of B & S, and an excellent one at that, for family drama. I’m happy for you Kevin that you come from a well adjusted family, but in most cases even the most loving and close knit families have dysfunction, yet they rise above it and that’s what Parenthood (and before that B & S) never fails to show. I hope it lasts many more seasons!

4. Ryan says:

Any idea of this is a flashback sort of thing, or is she actually still alive? Anyway, LOVE this show!

5. mommahills says:

The Braverman’s dysfunction looks pretty normal, folks. I’ve yet to meet those people that Rockwell used to paint. This family sings in the kitchen, has family game night that looks like ours, and even has meddling parents. Love this show since it’s inception, and now that Friday Night Lights is gone, it’s my favorite.

6. ddlbugmom says:

Parenthood is the only show I will sit down and watch regularly. I finally got my 16-year-old daughter to watch it with me and she loves it, too. It has made for some great conversations! Love Frances Sternhagen — I’ll bet that’ll be a great episode!

7. Donna J. says:

Frances Sternhagen is a wonderful, talented actress. They should make her a regular. I used to see her at mass on Sundays when I lived in New Rochelle, NY.

8. Michael says:

These are interesting comments, because I think the Bravermans are the most functional family on television. Seriously, they are tight-knit and always leaning on each other, how families should be.

9. Doug-H says:

That means Zeek and Brenda Leigh Johnson are TV siblings!!!

10. Joan says:

Love the show and love the idea of Frances as his mom…that so works! This show has something for everyone and is great for watching with your kids- hope it stays on for years and years!

11. Arlene says:

Where has mom been – during holidays, etc.???

12. Dawn says:

Well put!

13. Diana says:

Bunny, Troy McDougal’s mother & Charlotte’s insufferable step-mom on SATC?

14. a. says:

i’d love to see a bit of the respective parents and/or siblings of the family members who are not “Bravermans” – you know, Christina and Joel, for example. don’t they have any parents? siblings? aunts or uncles or other relatives?

15. regina says:

As far as I’m concerned Parenthood is the best show on tv hands down. And the family dynamic may be dysfunctional but still seems more in line with what most families experience on a regular basis. I LOVE this show!

• Joy says:

I LOVE this show too! I hope it keeps going for several more years. However, please let Adam stay faithful to Christina!! It will just be so sad if he isn’t faithful!!

Keep it up NBC – this is a great show! I look forward to it every week!

J

16. Nick says:

Would love to see John Ratzenberger cast as Zeke’s half-brother brother Cliff.

17. DL says:

I love Frances Sternhagen on “The Closer” as Brenda’s mom, so I’m definitely excited about this, although I’ll probably have a hard time not seeing her as Willie Ray Johnson. On a sidenote, she’s only 14 years older than Craig T. Nelson, so she must have had him pretty young! ;)

18. Chris says:

I would love to see Barbara Barrie cast as the mother of Bonnie Bedelia’s character, ‘Camille’.
    Love Parenthood – excellent writing, great ensemble!

19. Allison says:

I have never written or commented about a TV show before so this ought to tell you all how much I LOVE this show! The writers are spot on! We have all faced many of the issues that the Braverman’s face and the writers handle situations so well and don’t try to cure the problem in an hour. As a teacher, I have dealt with children like Max and I must say Bravo to the writers. You are AWESOME!

20. Janine says:

I don’t see dysfunction- sure, they have problems, but they work them out so well. I wish I could have all the fun that tv family has.