How I Met Your Mother Shocker: Did You See The Big [Spoiler Alert] Coming?

If you have yet to watch this week’s How I Met Your Mother, run — don’t walk — to the nearest exit. Everyone else, keep reading…

HIMYM Exclusive: Becki Newton to Romance Barney!

In the closing moments of Monday’s episode, HIMYM dropped the mother of all bombshells: Robin’s with child!

In retrospect, we probably should’ve seen it coming as parenting issues served as a major theme of the episode. Mom- and dad-to-be Marshall and Lily seriously mulled a move to the kid-friendly ‘burbs, which sent Robin into a tailspin. (Only later would we learn why it caused her such emotional duress.)

Meanwhile, Barney — still reeling from Robin’s rejection and his breakup with Nora — contemplated going the bro-parenting route with BFF Ted. He eventually came to his senses, admitting to Robin in the final scene, “Can you imagine me being a dad?” That prompted Robin to confess that, well, yes she can imagine it seeing as how they just recently slept together and now she’s pregnant!

But questions remain: Is Barney, in fact the baby daddy? Or does the bun in the oven belong to her shrink-turned-lover, Kevin (Kal Penn)? Hit the comments with your thoughts and theories!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Recaps

1. Michael says:

Ok are you people even fans of the show or do you just like to bitch about show no matter what they do

Yes unplanned pregnancy is the most over used real life situation but what is it come on people its like bitching when someone dies well guess what were all going to die its a part of life

and NO HIMYM did not JUMP THE SHark wicth by the way is a outdated term

• mary sue says:

So as a fan of the show am I just supposed to look away and not say anything whenever there is a bad episode? Or how about when the jokes are no longer funny? You seem to think that someone is not a true fan if they complain letalone if they do not like a storyline.

2. Melissa says:

i was shocked, my husband and i looked at each other like we both heard it wrong… i am kinda hoping it turns out to not be true… it seems like it would take away from Lily, i like how they are handling her pregnancy, it’s a big deal, but she is still her, it’s not the only story line… but it is imporant and life changing…

• Exactly. I just can’t see why they’d write two pregnancy stories at the same time. Also, no one would want to see Barney and Robin get back together right now based on this, especially after how Robin treated him last week. If it’s just a scare, though, I don’t really see the point, except that she might break up with Kevin in the ensuing drama.

• Susan says:

I want Barney and Robin together but not because of an unplanned pregnancy. Kevin obviously knew about Robin cheating on him so he manipulated her into not dumping him. Of course he’s going to tell Robin that he loves all these wonderful things about her, he already knows how insecure she is. Barney spoke from his heart and told Robin the truth that neither one of them is perfect. While Kevin is just going to fix Robin to be perfect for him without caring if it’s what she needs.

3. Michael says:

I really enjoy this show but I believe it’s time to go off the air now. Seinfelf had the right idea and these other shows need to follow suit. Grey’s Anatomy is another show that is boring now because it has been on too long. It should have ended after the hospital shooting. HIMYM should have ended this season. So it looks as if Barney will be marrying robin after all.

4. Brooke says:

I think Victoria maye said it when she was leaving

5. Heather says:

here’s hoping it’s Barney’s!!! Fingers crossed!!
    I was SO sad when they shared that moment of “no”, I know Kevin’s answer was better, but Barney could’ve come up with a better one if he knew he had such healthy competition.
    I literally cried….
    and I don’t care what you think that makes me.

6. fefe says:

guys cmon lets not lose hope on himym.its still a funny show! they can probably work the storyline out! if she is really pregnant,i really hope its barney’s! but for all you know it might just be a false positive..

7. Natalie says:

Well, I have a theory on this: [SPOILER ALERT!]
    Since we know we’re going to see Robin’s kids in maybe the next episode, I could imagine her being at the gynecologist (you know, to see if she’s really pregnant).And while she’s waiting for the doctor to tell her if she’s with child, she pictures her future with Barney and their children, just to imagine what it would be like. Then the doctor tells her it was a false positive, but she realizes that she likes the idea of Barney and her being together and having a family.

But maybe Barney’s not ready for children yet, so she doesn’t want to be with him because she finally knows that she wants to have children and that’s why she stays with Kev a while longer. We know Barney’s gonna get a new girlfriend, then Robin gets jealous and BOOM! By the Season Finale they’re together and Robin will be his bride.

8. DVD says:

Wouldn’t it be cool if it turned out to be Ted’s first kid. And the story of ‘how I met your mother’ he is telling is actually to his 2nd and 3rd kids from a different mom.

9. AUST says:

No shrink baby please.

10. Patrick says:

I think Robin is leaving. She is causing a lot of problems for the two exes in her life. Looking back, she is always going after one or running one’s current girl off. She only seems to want one when she can’t have one.

Plus, her real life baby daddy /bf/ fiance lives in NY. She may want to live in NY.

I have gotten a wierd vibe off of her for 2 seasons now. I think she might “leave” and go down to recurring, only doing a few eps a year.

11. Bob L. says:

This is one of those dreaded cliff-hanger thingys! We’ll probably have to wait til next season to see if the baby is: (a) wearing a suit (Barney) or (b) sporting a full head of dark curls (Kevin).

12. Pepper says:

I hate that every show ends up the same – everyone, even the ones that have been against marriage and children ends up getting married and having kids. Ruins everything. Yep, I said it. And I’ll say it again. Kids ruin everything.

13. KK says:

I ma be the only one who doesn’t think that they jumped the shark. Too many people have such a problem with pregnancies in TV shows nowadays that no matter what show it is, unplanned pregnancies are a cliche.

Also, if Robin didn’t want kids (which obviously meant it would happen sooner or later), then there’s no way to get her pregnant besides on accident (at least at this point in the story). And I don’t know if you’ve all noticed, but most of them are getting up there in age. They’re not /old/ yet, but they should be having kids pretty soon, if you base on the approximate ages of Ted’s children in the year 2030.

Besides. I love pregnancies. :) To be cliche, myself.

• Lillian says:

Well,what can you do? People want the shows to be like they want. Not cliche.I love pregnancies mostly the accidental ones and the show is fresh every time i watch it. I don’t see a problem with Pregnancies why should people care? Well,yes they like the show. But they shouldn’t be un-happy.Un-expected things keep the shows fresh! So just deal with it 8-)

• peaceloverock83 says:

i am with you! i love it! Plus, Robin and Barney not necessarily wanting a kid (not hard enough to try like L/M) would have completely different parenting styles which could be funny. This show trys to be realistic w/ timing and people grow up—most people don’t sit in a bar for the rest of their lives….some make it out of the group lol

14. Robin says:

I was shocked…really shocked…and then I felt like goodness why? I shouldn’t have been shocked – tons of forshadowing during the whole episode, but no apparently I didn’t see it coming…I think that is probably because I suppose I never imagined that they had unprotected sex…but perhaps they did.

Still love the show! :)

15. lacey says:

I was surprised and was thrilled until it sunk in. We’re probably going to find out next episode that she’s not sure who the father is. I can see Barney proposing and Robin turning him down b/c she’s not going to marry someone just b/c she’s pregnant. I doubt she’s going to remain pregnant for long, either a miscarriage or false positive. Barney is getting a new love interest soon and a Robin’s pregnant storyline would clash with that.

16. Josie says:

She is pregnant, Ausiello confirmed it. But next weeks episode guide hints at a miscarriage so thats probably the route they’re gonna take. I wasn’t expecting the accidental pregnancy line because it seems so soapish but I don’t mind it. What I hate is that she may only be pregnant for 1 episode. Don’t really see the point in it.

• Susan says:

The point is to mess with Barney. Robin will tell Barney he’s the father, then she miscarries and instead of telling him she lets him go on believing he’ll be a father. Which really is just another cruel act on Robin’s part!

17. zara says:

Boring bland show for idiots. Who cares about this bunch of fools? I swear. They are all nerdy idiots. It’s like watching paint dry. No diversity. No nothing.

18. bob says:

not that “friends” wrote the rule on unplanned pregnancies between estranged couples, but considering the similarities that “how i met your mother” shares with “friends,” you would think that the writers would try and avoid even resembling such a significant story line from those central perk coffers. fearless prediction: robin miscarries in the next four or five episodes and realizes that she wants to be with barney, who over the past several episodes stepped up at the possibility of being a father, just in time for becki newton’s arc, meaning barney will once again be unavailable.

• peaceloverock83 says:

also resembles ‘that 70’s show’ a lot and they also had a unplanned pregnancy and the parents weren’t together

19. jennifer says:

You are completely right. I learned all of this waiting the 2 weeks to find out if I was pregnant, I was, and haven’t forgotten the stages of pregnancy.

20. chickie says:

The writers of this show try to make it somewhat like real life. Have you never met two friends who are pregnant at the same time? I’ve been pregnant at the same time as two of my best friends every time, for a total of nine kids amongst the the three of us, a mix of planned and unplanned babies. People in real life who “know how to not get pregnant,” to quote another poster, get pregnant all the time. I appreciate that the writers are making these people like real people who have non-viewer-pleasing things happen to them. This show has some fun with real life. If you want escapist silliness, watch Glee.

21. fan123 says:

First of all on Bones Emily Deschanel is really pregnant and they had to write it into the show or there would be no show, or very little of one, this year…and as far as HIMYM Robin is not the getting pregnant kind of girl, and they need to make these people grow up a little so they had to do the unplanned pregnancy. I know its typical of a show to do this but I think it works, and unplanned pregnancies get me every time, I’m always surprised and I like them!

22. Annamona says:

I love HIMYM! And I love this season! The characters have grown and matured and I hope Robin and Barney end up together and parents :). If youre a true fan of the show then you want to see them grow up- so to speak. If you think Barney won’t want to be a dad or has to remain a single player type dude- then you are just living in the past. I don’t care if we have to wait til the end to meet the mother. The show is about how he met her. Not who she is. Just be patient fans. And you naysayers- go watch another show and quit complaining :)

And anyone remember the epi where Robin and Ted were trying to talk Lily out of getting preggo- and Lily found ‘sock’ in cushion. And kept saying ‘sock’ in a baby voice? Remember when Robin found the sock at the end of the episode and was like ‘sock’. She isn’t in the mother mood yet. I wasn’t til I got preggo. Even then I didn’t embrace it til I felt my baby move. And I was full career gal and now am full time stay at home mom and love it so you don’t know til you know.

23. Lillian says:

Omg! Of course barneys the dad. Don’t you remember? she slept with him and blah blah blah.. Don’t wanna say the whole story here and yeah Kal Penn Won’t be in the show forever. And her sons gonna be blonde isn’t that a little bit too obvious??

24. Mary says:

Of course Barney is the dad. And i bet he would love to be him! He loves Robin and he knows it.My opinion is: Barneys gonna be the father of the child. The show made them grow up. Don’t live in the past when Barney was still the “Player” type.Now he’s a grown man,forget the past. What was in the past Stays in the past. Be patient.The time will come soon. So don’t worry xD and be Happy how the show is. :D

25. Cheryl says:

Barney and Robin have to end up together. The writers have invested too much into the Barney/Robin relationship and viewers will not be satisfied with any other relationship for Barney at the end of this season. The viewers did not like Nora and unfortuntely do not like Kevin. Even people that are not fans of their relationship respect them together in the end

26. Ursula says: