How I Met Your Mother Shocker: Did You See The Big [Spoiler Alert] Coming?

Get More: News, Recaps

If you have yet to watch this week’s How I Met Your Mother, run — don’t walk — to the nearest exit. Everyone else, keep reading…

HIMYM Exclusive: Becki Newton to Romance Barney!

In the closing moments of Monday’s episode, HIMYM dropped the mother of all bombshells: Robin’s with child!

In retrospect, we probably should’ve seen it coming as parenting issues served as a major theme of the episode. Mom- and dad-to-be Marshall and Lily seriously mulled a move to the kid-friendly ‘burbs, which sent Robin into a tailspin. (Only later would we learn why it caused her such emotional duress.)

Meanwhile, Barney — still reeling from Robin’s rejection and his breakup with Nora — contemplated going the bro-parenting route with BFF Ted. He eventually came to his senses, admitting to Robin in the final scene, “Can you imagine me being a dad?” That prompted Robin to confess that, well, yes she can imagine it seeing as how they just recently slept together and now she’s pregnant!

But questions remain: Is Barney, in fact the baby daddy? Or does the bun in the oven belong to her shrink-turned-lover, Kevin (Kal Penn)? Hit the comments with your thoughts and theories!

Comments (137)

• Here’s hoping it’s Barney’s child. :)

Comment by Nina – November 21, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That sound you heard was the show jumping the shark.

Comment by BP – November 22, 2011 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This. I’m sorry they couldn’t think of ways to keep the show fresh without resorting to a cheap plot device like that. A true indicator that the show has stayed too long at the party.

Comment by april-ann – November 22, 2011 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the idea of Robin/Barney as a couple, but am I the only one who thinks that an unplanned pregnancy seems like the world’s most played out storyline?

Comment by andrea – November 22, 2011 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not to mention the fact that they just started that same played out storyline on Bones! HIMYM is supposed to be better than that!

Comment by anotherjoy – November 22, 2011 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its has to be Barney’s going on their convo at the end there.

Comment by willow138 – November 21, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, really HIMYM???? I must say I am disappointed. I thought HIMYM would not go this route. It’s so typical of a TV show to throw the pregnancy bombshell. Are they that desperate for storylines???

Comment by LL – November 21, 2011 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. It’s so cliche to use the oops pregnancy to get a will, won’t they couple together. That’s why I gave Bones last year. It’s just so lazy. Why drag it out only to not even have them choose to be together just to be together?

Comment by Kate – November 21, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • At least Bones’ pregnancy was somewhat justified due to RL reasons.

Comment by DJ Doena – November 22, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t think shows should undermine the story they’ve created (particularly in this case a show that has been on so long) because an actress gets pregnant. There are plenty of ways to get around it. While I sympathize that ED was actually pregnant, it just felt like a really lame way to get B&B to get together. I would have rather the writers allow them to decide to be together in those last few episodes and then have them be instantly pregnant at the beginning of this season. At least that way you get the satisfaction of the characters deciding for themselves, because that’s a big moment after all these seasons. It just felt like after all they’ve been through together the characters deserved better than an oops pregnancy.

Comment by J – November 22, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But RL pregnancies can easily be covered up. See: Parks and Recreation with Amy’s pregnancy. Half of the time I couldn’t tell. Actually most of the time I couldn’t. But yes, that’s also why I stopped watching Bones.

And I’m hoping she’s not ACTUALLY pregnant. It’ll just make her realize what she actually wants in life. To be with Barney and make little Stinsons. Uh oh.

Comment by tvnut014 – November 22, 2011 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • When she was pregnant before they tried to cover it and it was pretty obvious. The same happen with Alyson.

Comment by Nanu – November 22, 2011 05:16 PM PDT
      • You should actually watch Bones before saying stuff like this. It’s pretty damn obvious they’re together because they choose to be, not because of the baby.

As for Robin, I think she’ll either miscarry or get an abortion.

Comment by Christy – November 22, 2011 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed! I also agree with the comments below that it is probably a false positive. I don’t think the fact that Robin mentioned her pregnancy after Barney asked ‘if she could see him as a father’ is an indication that it is his child. She is too early in her pregnancy to be able to have a paternity test anyways

Comment by Jess – November 21, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t too surprised, no. And I wouldn’t be surprised either if it turned out to be a false positive. I have to say I’m a little disappointed in how the writers are handling the Barney/Robin storyline. Why did Barney have to be the one to go find Robin and ask if they’re still friend’s‽

And where is that scene that was supposed to be redeeming? Because that wasn’t. At all. Robin didn’t even admit that what she did what such a dick move. They just went passed it like breaking Barney’s heart was not a big deal! Ugh I’m so pissed right now!!

Comment by Dee – November 21, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with everything you said here. I don’t think Robin’s really going to end up being pregnant, and I think that it’s irritating they didn’t have her admit that what she did to Barney was pretty low. He has to go find her to make sure they’re still cool? He has every right to be very upset with her!

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – November 21, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m so happy that I’m not the only one thinking that!! I used to adore Robin but man has she dissapointed me this year…

Comment by Julie – November 22, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’ll be interesting to see Ted’s reaction to this, when he wants a family so bad, and Robin not wanting kids was a major cause to their break up.
    Then you have Robin and Barney themselves, neither of whom are really kid gung-ho. Wow. Did NOT see this coming!

Comment by carlie – November 21, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the ep last night. Plus, wasn’t there some sort of teaser @ beginning of season regarding Ted and Robin exes can’t be friends situation? or was it end of last season with Zoey…

Comment by jessica – November 22, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • es de barney

Comment by louisa – November 21, 2011 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well Kal Penn’s arc is almost over and Becki Newton is coming on as a serious love interest for Barney so I’m confused. Unless this is a Rachael-Ross situation.

Comment by Gaby – November 21, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know. I am confused where Kevin and Becki Newton’s character comes in. I keep thinking it is a false positive.

Comment by Amy – November 21, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also thought it could be a Ross/Rachel situation with Barney’s new love interest coming in.. Maybe they won’t get together even though she’s pregnant since she broke his heart last week.. At least not for now.

Comment by Marie – November 21, 2011 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I literally yelled WHAT? I mean, I should have seen it coming, but I didn’t. Why has Ted the Narrator never mentioned this child? I am not sure how I feel about it. Would it have been long enough ago for Barney to be the dad because of course I want it to be his.

Comment by Amy – November 21, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Why has Ted the Narrator never mentioned this child?”

Probably because the pregnancy — if indeed she is pregnant and not just, um, *late* — doesn’t get that far.

Comment by Ace – November 21, 2011 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • when you tell stories about the past do you bring up people who weren’t born yet when that story takes place? I don’t. It hasn’t been relevant to the story yet. Why would Ted tell a story about Robin as a young single woman and randomly add in “Oh by the by little Susie Canada Stinson wasn’t born yet.”

Comment by Avi – November 22, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Can we get a petition together to name the child – if there is one – Susie Canada Stinson?

Comment by Haley – November 22, 2011 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No didn’t see that one coming. I hope it is Kevin’s because I do not want Barney and Robin together.

Comment by Carm – November 21, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes! neither do i!

Comment by Anna – November 22, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course Barney is the dad,and here’s why:
    1.Kal Penn won’t stay forever in the show, as far as we know.
    2.She said that right after Barney asked her “Can you imagine me being a dad?”
    3.Too many mommy-daddy talks around Robin and Barney in the episode.
    4.If Kevin was the dad, she’d be trying to figure out how to tell him, imo.
    Spoiler alert!!!

5.Robin’s son is Blonde!

Now, I know that Barney will have another romantic interest, but remember Ross, Rachel and Emma?

Comment by Marli – November 21, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How do you know Robin’s son is Blonde… for what i know it hasnt even been mentioned that Robin is married or has children!… if so please tell me when so i can watch it again!

Comment by luis – November 21, 2011 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I saw a spoiler a few days ago that they were casting Robin’s son, who was described as blonde.

Comment by Marli – November 22, 2011 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There was a casting call where they were specifically looking for a blonde boy as Robin’s son.
          And there is an ep coming up where future Robin talks to her children just like future Ted does with his kids.

Comment by Svenja – November 22, 2011 02:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They were also casting for a brunette daughter. Maybe the daughter is born first?

Comment by Diane – November 22, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m 90% sure she thinks it’s Barney’s. After a second viewing, the way she responds to the friends question with, “I hope so,” really makes it seem like, “We’d better be if we’re going to have a kid.”

Comment by Nick – November 22, 2011 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Emma? You mean the child that was forgotten at the end of the series? The one Rachel was just moving to Paris without Emma?

Comment by Mike B – November 22, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rachel was going to Paris WITH Emma, that was part of Ross’s angst. Emma was never forgotten.

Comment by JGM60 – November 22, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In the episode they said that Emma was staying with Rachel’s mom and they would both come to Paris after Rachel got there.

Comment by Em – November 22, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just WOW. I really loved it, and did NOT see THAT coming. Yikes. I will have a coronary if it’s Kevin’s, seriously, it MUST be Barney’s – although this makes Becki Newton’s casting…just not good. How can Barney be dealing with a pregnant Robin and seriously romancing Becki Newton?! – must be a false positive.

Comment by Rachel – November 21, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’ll turn out to be a false alarm. Yeah, they’ve already done the false positive thing with Lily before, but I can’t see the show doing two babies at once.
    The timing of it makes me think it’s NOT Barney’s. He’s getting a new girlfriend (Becki Newton) soon and I couldn’t see that happening if he’s Robin’s baby daddy.

Comment by Nicky C – November 21, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is possible that Barney could be the father, but he could not want to get back with Robin after she chose Kevin over him. He could still step up as a father, but not be ready to jump back in to a relationship with Robin.

Comment by Jelly – November 22, 2011 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I am really disappointed with where this season has been going. 7.09 had such promise, and while I was upset with Robin last week in 7.10, it was a good episode. But this week? They brush everything under the rug for 29 minutes, and then in the last minute, Robin and Barney are finally going to talk. Does Robin explain herself, apologize? Does Barney ask her why she rejected him so coldly? No, he has to seek her out and asks if they’re still friends. Blah! And the pregnancy thing has got to just be a scare. No way are they going to write both female characters pregnant at the same time. But even so, do we really want a “Who’s the father?” drama storyline, even if just for one episode? NO!

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – November 21, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t see it coming at all! I really like Robin and Barney together, but I do think it was strange that Barney had to find Robin to ask if they’re still friends. I guess she didn’t know how to handle the situation. But after she wanted Barney so much and he gave up Nora for her, you’d think she’d be a little more understanding of Barney’s feelings. I hope the baby is Barney’s, especially after he has shown so much growth in terms of wanting a family and wanting Robin. Read more of my thoughts in this episode and others at http://www.tvmovielove.com.

Comment by Beth – November 21, 2011 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok – Seriously. They had sex around Halloween, right? And it is Thanksgiving, right? How on earth can she be pregnant with Barney’s baby? It hasnt even been a month yet – she wouldnt even know she is pregnant.

I love the fact she is pregnant, I hope they dont do a really stupid “who is the father” crap. And why are they making Robin dress like a grandma?

This season really bothers me – I dont like it.

Comment by Holly – November 21, 2011 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A woman ovulates two weeks before her period arrives, so she would definitely know if she is pregnant well before a month passes.

Comment by Janice – November 21, 2011 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, it would be 6 weeks. You go by the date of your last period, not date of conception. Usually you don’t ovulate until 10 days after your period. Doesn’t make sense to me either.

There’s you’re sex ed for the day. :)

Comment by LizL – November 22, 2011 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • a woman ovulates usually around day 14 and misses her period on day 28 (assuming a 28 day cycle). That means most women know they are pregnant two weeks after conception (which would make her 4 weeks pregnant, since the pregnancy starts counting from the last period). Many home pregnancy tests today can detect HCG levels soon after the embryo implants in the uterine wall and starts forming the placenta, as early as 6-10 days after conception. So, a month spacing is clearly reasonable. I am a OB/GYN with a specialty in fertility, but thanks for the sex ed lesson :)

Comment by Janice – November 22, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m 6 weeks pregnant and conceived Oct. 25. I got a positive test 2.5 weeks ago, less than 2 weeks after conceiving.

I am guessing the pregnancy won’t last one way or another because Kevin is leaving the show and Barney is going to be pursuing Becki Newton’s character. Unless Robin leads everyone to believe it’s Kevin’s, tells him the truth and then later confesses it’s Barney’s.

But if Lily and Marshall are having a child and Robin’s having a child, that could definitely act as a catalyst for Ted to get serious about his search for the mother again. Does anyone even care about that anymore?

Comment by 8daysaweek – November 21, 2011 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m assuming you meant 4 weeks pregnant?

Comment by Dee – November 22, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Do none of you people know how pregnancy works?
          I’m 6 weeks pregnant. The first two weeks of the 40-week pregnancy are actually the first two weeks of a woman’s cycle before ovulation and conception. You aren’t actually pregnant for the first two weeks.

Comment by 8daysaweek – November 22, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet its just a pregnancy scare.
    I personally don’t think she’s actually pregnant. She would have to have the baby over the summer. (and tv babies never seem to be born over hiatus)
    Kal Penn only has a couple episodes left (and I don’t think Kevin would leave if there was the slightest chance he was the father), and Barney is going to start possibly dating Becki Newton soon (which would be surprising if Robin was actually pregnant with Barney’s kid, seeing as he really wants a future with Robin), and the show is already having a baby next season with Marshall & Lily.
    I bet she thinks she is, finds out she isn’t, and Barney and Robin make some comment about how this was a good thing, they would be terrible parents, etc… even though they start thinking about someday having that possible future.

Comment by Katherine – November 21, 2011 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i did not see it coming. and i hated it! eff you himym creators.

Comment by tommy – November 21, 2011 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i also scremed what i hope she really isnt . im dissapointed in himyr its such a better then this type of story line but if she is preggers does not seem to add up as barneys

Comment by ollie – November 21, 2011 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was wondering NPH’s daughter played Hurricane/Sadie. Nothing was listed on the credits, but does anyone know?

Comment by Ashleigh – November 21, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope, pretty sure it wasn’t Harper.

Comment by sam – November 21, 2011 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It didn’t look like his daughter, or his son for that matter. But I’m a bit embarrassed to admit that I know what his kids look like.

Comment by Cori – November 21, 2011 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I have no idea what his kids look like — I may have seen a photo when they were first born, but I don’t follow him on twitter or anything. I just know they keep things in the family on that show (Sandy Rivers, Scooter) and though “maybe!” But thanks, all!

Comment by Ashleigh – November 21, 2011 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He tweeted Tues am that it was not his daughter

Comment by Heather – November 22, 2011 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so glad I am not the only one who did not see that coming. I yelled “WHAT” at the TV, and then realized it probably shouldn’t have been such a surprise since the whole episode was about parenting and felt like an idiot. Glad to know it wasn’t just me who was totally caught off guard. But I agree that this is a stupid way to take the Barney/Robin storyline.

Comment by Carrie – November 21, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just don’t even know what to think. Hey Ausiello, throw us a bone here! Surely you know SOMETHING about what happens next.

Comment by lariet50 – November 21, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly don’t know what to think. I really do think that she is pregnant but something will happen to cause them to maybe go their seperate ways for a while. I don’t honestly see that happening just yet or she is not pregnant and has a false alarm than they also can stop seeing each other as friends. But, I am leaning towards her being pregnant and she decides to stay with Kevin for the time being until he finds out that the baby isn’t his. Kevin has to find out about them sleeping together at some point cause he isn’t going to stay there forever he is leaving soon.

Lets just see how this plays out. I hope they do something great if she is pregnant but if she isn’t then okay.

Comment by Shar – November 21, 2011 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i also wonder if the baby was neils kid and was glad to see wayne back as james

Comment by ollie – November 21, 2011 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not convinced she’s pregnant. We might find out it was a false alarm in a few episodes, and through those few episodes Barney and Robin will come closer together again. And I really don’t get why Barney asked if they were still friends when SHE was the one who burned HIM…

Comment by Chris – November 21, 2011 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At this point, I don’t even really care. After tonight’s episode, I’m thinking about just quitting watching the show and waiting until it ends to find out who the mother is and everything else. This season has been awful (it’s been on a decline since season 4), and this episode was the worst. I might stick around a few more episodes to see if the writers actually go through with this pregnancy, but it’s such a shame to see what a once excellent show has become.

Comment by Lindsey – November 21, 2011 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What decline its as good as ever

Comment by Jon – November 21, 2011 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I gave it up last season after loving the first few seasons. The whole Zooey thing was awful and some of the characters were starting to grate. I check in on articles like this every once in awhile to see if I’m missing anything, but nothing has convinced me I made the wrong decision. I think it would help if the writers either revealed the mother before the end of the show, or picked an end date. I felt like them constantly having to drag things out was ruining the charm of the show.

Comment by Kate – November 21, 2011 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Got to love this show, awesome as ever

Comment by Mike – November 21, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree !!! People who watch only to find out who’s the mother are not watching for the good reasons according to me! I looove this season so far and if she is actually pregnant and it’s Barney’s, I’m gonna be thrilled, even if they don’t get together right away!!!

Comment by Marie – November 21, 2011 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it turns out to be Kevin’s that way Barney can fully move on and start a new life sans Robin; however, the flash forward in the second episode “Beercules”(where Barney & Marshall are in the casino) let’s me to believe it’s Barney’s. The writers are so going to milk this story line for all it’s worth until Robin has her kid and it pops out full white, instead of half. Lazy and predictable writing.

In previous seasons they never mentioned that Robin and or Barney have any children, just Ted and Marshal & Lily. I always assumed that Robin was childless cause Ted’s kids spend a lot of time with her. Also, how’s Robin going to become a world reporter with a kid-in-tow; what, she’s gives up her career or puts the baby for adoption for sake of here career!!!!! If she gives up the baby, then gang should not be her friends anymore.

Comment by Blasto – November 21, 2011 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? They should stop being her friend if she chooses to give the baby up for adoption? What an utterly ridiculous thing to say. I pity anyone who is your friend.

Comment by tripoli – November 22, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s Barney’s. Omg maybe they’re gonna get married at the end of the season!

Comment by Michele – November 21, 2011 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is really getting uneven. This was episode 10, and this year so far there have been 4 good ones. The worst part is that Ted, who is supposed to be the star of the show, is getting overshadowed. The two Ted centric episodes this season, “Field Trip” and “The Slutty Pumpkin Returns” were probably the two worst episodes of the season, making the Ted character seem pathetic and less interesting.
    Note to the producers: Find a smart-funny actress, say she is the mother, and make the show a six person ensemble, and do it this season before the show becomes unwatchable.
    (Smart-funny is a requirement for a new female since Allyson already has cute-funny covered, and Cobie has sexy-funny covered.)

Comment by Ariane – November 21, 2011 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really people? Noone remembers when ted was telling a story to his kids, they he says “as you know kids. your ain’t robin never had any kids”.. anyone remember?

Comment by latinowisconsin – November 21, 2011 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by latinowisconsin – November 21, 2011 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t !! Do you know which episode ??

Comment by Marie – November 21, 2011 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think he said ‘as you know, your Aunt Robin eventually made her peace with kids and went on to star in some very important works of art: yours’.

It was the episode where Robin gets set up by Lily with one of her student’s Dad’s and his child draws a picture of a woman that looks like Robin with the label “My new Mommy” but it turns out it was the guy’s other girlfriend that he drew…

Sad I know that :p

Comment by hw216 – November 22, 2011 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hahaha thanks!!! I’ll look in my DVDs ;)
        And that is not as sad as me thinking “I’m supposed to know that, why don’t I remember?”
        But yeah maybe when he said she made her peace with kids, it meant something like “even though she got pregnant and didn’t want any kids before that, she got used to it and made peace with the fact that she became a mom”.. Anyways, we’ll have to wait and see how it turns out !! :)

Comment by Marie – November 22, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s always been implied that her feeling about having kids changed. I don’t remember a definitive Robin never had kids moment. HIMYM is pretty good about not writing things that major in stone. She’s never liked kids but remember when she stole the baby sock? She’s been more open to the idea I think since Lily and Marshall started talking about having a baby. That being said, Robin is a smart girl and Barney has slept with literally hundreds of women, are you telling me that the two of them can’t figure out how NOT to get pregnant?

Comment by Ava – November 22, 2011 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show just keeps getting better and better!!

Comment by Ashton – November 21, 2011 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would have to be Barney’s kid (if it isn’t a false positive, which I also believe and really hope it is) because it would be incredibly irresponsible for them to say that Robin slept with Kevin without protection (and that whole the condom broke thing, would be such a cop out), so if they end up going with the baby story line (DON’T DO IT!) then Barney is the only one that makes sense!

Comment by Greg – November 21, 2011 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How is it any less responsible for her to have had unprotected sex with Barney, who she knows has slept with half the city??

Comment by catfuneral – November 22, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because her sleeping with Barney was a spur of the moment, whirlwind type deal where they were too caught up in the moment to address that little factoid. I highly doubt Robin and Kevin EVER had that kind of moment, and because she states she doesn’t want kids, being unprotected with Kevin would just be inappropriate, irresponsible, and would totally turn Robin into a bitch far-removed from anywhere that could bring her back. My point was this will never be a mystery, as the baby is obviously Barney’s.

Comment by Greg – November 22, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is keeps on getting better and better XD

Comment by Santana – November 22, 2011 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know if this is the answer to any of Ausiello’s Blind Items?? Some of them go so far back it’s hard to find them in the site’s archives!

Comment by Leah – November 22, 2011 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hold on i mean i read in imdb that becki newton will be barney’s girlfriend sometime so if barney is the dad then why does he have a girlfriend !!!!!!!!!

Comment by nick – November 22, 2011 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that if you are not a fan of Barney and Robin,you will hate this storyline. If you like them together, then I wouldn’t be celebrating just yet. This was a weird way to bring them together, but we don’t know that it will be bringing them together. Barney has a new love interest, so I doubt they will be all lovey dovey preparing for a baby. I predict that Robin will go back to Ted, assuming this pregnancy remains a thing, which I hope it will, because I would hate for the episodes twist to simply be pointless. The same goes for if the baby isn’t Barneys.

Comment by Joseph – November 22, 2011 12:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish that it’s Barney!
    I really really love this season because it’s all about Barney and Robin!!!
    When’s the next episode?

Comment by Mark – November 22, 2011 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I completely agree

Comment by Kim – November 22, 2011 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw it coming (from 20 minutes in). With Barney wanting a baby so bad and Robin sitting in the bathroom, it just made sense. As a matter of fact, it was the only thing in this RIDICULOUSLY CRAZY episode that made any sense.

With that said, I feel like this could be too soon or possibly “jumping the shark”. I don’t know. What I do know is that, what could be a mistake on the writer’s part, is something I REALLY LOVE. Barney & Robin are having a baby and I’m 99.9% certain Robin’s the bride. For this Robin/Barney fan, it couldn’t get any better. :) I can’t wait to see what happens next! :)

Comment by Kim – November 22, 2011 01:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Despite Ted being the boy scout, Barney is always prepared when it comes to wrapping the sausage. I hope its all a big mistake. I hate TV pregnancies.

Comment by jay – November 22, 2011 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At the end of the Victoria episode they were talking about how Ted, Robin and Barney could not be friends because they were ex’s. Somehow I think that this pregnancy is going to drive Robin into Ted’s arms and Barney to his new love interest….then at the end of the season at Barney’s wedding to the new love interest, Robin will try to get back with Barney, leaving Ted when he will walk outside in the rain and some girl with a yellow umbrella will be there. Just a shot in the dark but if that is where it is going, I think I like this season.

Comment by Kirsten – November 22, 2011 01:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i was thinking that might happen sooner as a fling also?! b/c at the end of the first episode of this season lilly rushes in and says “ted, the bride wants to see you” why would this new girl want to see ted…it would be too soon for that in a tight knit group like theirs. It would make sense that Robin (who said ted would be her best man) is asking for him. And Marshal would be Barney’s best man. I just can’t see Barney marrying someone quickly that they stick in mid-season :) LOVE THIS SHOW!

Comment by peaceloverock83 – December 3, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well if Barney gets a new love interest in January, either the baby ISNT his or she loses the baby. I mean, I guess I could see her choosing to go the single parent route alone…but….

Also, I don’t think Ted said Robin never had kids. He said she didnt LIKE kids, but got over it, and they showed pictures of his kids drawings of her with them. Of course, that could mean she never has kids of her own, but it’s never SAID.

Comment by megslin – November 22, 2011 02:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope they don’t saddle Barney with Robin. I have never been fond of the Barney/Robin forced pairing. Someone like Barney doesn’t need to be tied down to anyone, let along Robin.

Comment by scooterbeanbag – November 22, 2011 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • neither of them would actually tie each other down…that’s why i like them together.

Comment by peaceloverock83 – December 3, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last weeks show was better…i laughed–i cried the show was great..now about who barney marries…i think its like the mother…we have not met her yet…and about the mother…barneys sister carly seems to be the front runner in my book…

Comment by Richard – November 22, 2011 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Robin will stay pregnant, it’s ideal with Lily’s pregnancy and will make it easier to write storylines for the whole gang in the future. I’m very pleased with this turn for HIMYM!

Comment by Nadine – November 22, 2011 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The baby has to be Barney’s. I don’t understand why was Barney the one who asked if they where still friends.

Comment by morcades – November 22, 2011 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The shark has officially been jumped…so bummed at this turn of events!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on HIMYM the fans that have stuck by you from the first episode deserve so much better, please oh please, let that have been a daydream or a nightmare of one of the characters :)

Comment by Annabelle – November 22, 2011 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NPH just tweeted:

‘Twas not our daughter on this week’s HIMYM. Would never subject her to the rigors of a soundstage. I’m saving her for the pageant circuit.

Comment by DJ Doena – November 22, 2011 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks i was wondering that!

Comment by Melissa – November 22, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow really people!! How about unplanned pregnancy is the most over used real life situation

Comment by Liz – November 22, 2011 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For real, according to TV pretty much the only way to get pregnant (not to mention solidify that on again, off again relationship) is on accident.

Comment by Kate – November 22, 2011 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Or you want a baby and fail to get pregnant (Grey’s Anatomy and Private Pratice. The shows were female main leads face infertility)

Comment by Svenja – November 22, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post