Chuck Boss Talks Finale: 'I Predict Few Dry Eyes'

Get More: Exclusive, Scoop

Chuck‘s series finale is still two months away, but the first (somewhat biased) review is already in — and it’s a rave!

“I predict very few dry eyes,” executive producer and co-creator Josh Schwartz tells TVLine of the spy comedy’s Jan. 27 swan song. “Mine did [well up]; it was really emotional.”

Overall, Schwartz says the episode — titled “Chuck vs. the Goodbye” and penned by series co-creator Chris Fedak — is “really, really great” and serves as the perfect bookend to the show’s against-all-odds five-year run. “I think that every Chuck fan is going to be very satisfied.”

And while some folks were holding out hope that NBC would extend the final season long enough to allow the show to reach its 100th episode, Schwartz — who was marking his Gossip Girl hitting that very milestone when we spoke to him — concedes, “It’s very Chuck to only get to 91 episodes.” (With reporting by Matt Webb Mitovich)

Comments (47)

• Will watch Chuck till the bitter end, but they almost lost me with the Morgan Grimes as intersect storyline. Oy vey.

Comment by ck – November 21, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I stopped watching this show in the middle of season 4. Too much romance between Sarah and Chuck. It was sickening. I tuned in for one episode this season, and seeing Morgan as the intersect was even worse. This show doesn’t know where to go.

Why can’t we just have Chuck who is confident with the intersect?

Comment by Benny – November 21, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Morgan storyline was annoying, but it builds into the overall plot of the season, and it is over now, so hopefully they will find a way to give Chuck an intersect, because that is what the show is about. The Chuck and Sarah romance is normal. They are newly weds, and as such, they are allowed to be in love. Season 2 was when they were not together at all, and that nearly got the show cancelled. They may have gone a bit too far, but it is ending, and so far the general audience seems to like Chuck and Sarah together.

Comment by Joseph – November 22, 2011 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “This show doesn’t know where to go.” You do realize it’s ending right? I think they know exactly where they want to go by now. lol

Comment by Mike – November 22, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • More specifically, since Josh Schwartz mentioned above that he has already seen/read the series finale, I KNOW they definitely know where the show has gone, is going and will go! :-)

Comment by Mike – November 22, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if Chuck fans would give nikita a chance?

Comment by me – November 21, 2011 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • am a huge Chuck fan… & already a Nikita fan too…
      love both the shows cox they are so unique…

Chuck was & is one of the best shows i have seen… its got everything…

Comment by McKono – November 21, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too…love both shows. But to move a show to Friday is basically giving it a slow and surely death.

Comment by Vannesa – November 22, 2011 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad that NBC let them end it on their terms and wrap it up in a way that will hopefully satisfy all of us Chuck diehards. I’m grateful it made it as long as it did but so sad to see it go. I really love the mix of comedy, action, love, and suspense that Chuck has perfected. It’s a rare show that my husband and I both love and this was one that we looked forward to every week. I hope that Zachary Levi will go on to do great things though I will so miss Chuck Bartowski.

Comment by Siobhan – November 21, 2011 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aren’t you in another show, something about a Ringer? Anyway, a thumbs up to your post, Chuck, while not necessarily perfectly consistent through the years, has, at its best, done the comedy/action/romance shtick as well as any other show I’ve seen on tv through the years. It will be sad to see it go…

Comment by Wolfman Jacque – November 21, 2011 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s one good thing about this show coming to an end – Adam Baldwin will be out of a job.

Comment by bored_viewer – November 21, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • F*ck everything about you.

Comment by Rwells – November 21, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re obviously on some heavy illegal narcotics or pharmaceutical drugs, chum. Baldwin is the main reason I originally tuned in 5 years ago. You don’t know of what you speak, but I forgive you.

Comment by Peter Venkman – November 21, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t need – nor do I want – your forgiveness. Baldwin may be kind to his fans, but he’s a creep to anyone who doesn’t kiss his a–. He doesn’t take the economic struggles of his fellow Americans seriously, so I can’t help but wish him those same hardships.

Comment by bored_viewer – November 22, 2011 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe its just me, but I thought the commenter was really getting at ‘Adam Baldwin will be available to do other jobs again’. Am I just too optimistic?

Comment by Ben – November 21, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ben, I thought the same thing, but he is saying that it’s a good thing he’ll be out of work. I’d bet cold hard cash that bored_viewer is a Democrat because Baldwin is a craaaaaazy conservative Republican. I love me some Baldwin, but I had to unfollow him on Twitter because of his severe Right viewpoints and reposts. It was, how should I put this… A bit much.

Comment by Stephanie – November 21, 2011 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I completely understand where you’re coming from. This poster, bored_viewer, crossed a line for me though. It’s one thing to disagree with one’s ideals, but it’s never okay to wish them ill-will. Imagine someone celebrating your unemployment and struggles..that’s just inhumane. Let’s all try decency here. We can all have our beliefs.

Comment by Chris – November 21, 2011 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Adam wishes many people – both at home and abroad – ill will on a fairly regular basis. If you don’t believe me, check out his Twitter page. He’s a repellant human being, and his lack of success in the future wouldn’t bother me a bit.

Comment by bored_viewer – November 22, 2011 08:52 PM PDT
        • I see. I’m not American, so the politics pass me by.

Comment by Ben – November 22, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And also, frankly… Adam Baldwin is one of the most beloved character actors around – he is never going to have any trouble getting the next gig.

Comment by Ben – November 22, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He may be able to land the occasional role in a SyFy channel film, but he’ll never get a gig like this again. Had Chuck been on any other network, it likely would have been axed by the end of season 2. NBC is such a disaster, however, that they had little choice but to keep it around.

Comment by bored_viewer – November 22, 2011 08:49 PM PDT
        • Actually, I despise both parties. I have no problem with Adam voicing his political views. It’s his arrogance, hypocrisy, and contempt for others (especially those who dare to disagree with him) that bother me. He’s just a thoroughly unlikable person.

Comment by bored_viewer – November 22, 2011 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yay, I’m so excited to see where he goes next. I LOVE him and hope he’ll find a show that’s perfect for him ASAP. I think other posters misunderstood your post. I got it. :)

Comment by Ali – November 22, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @bored_viewer: I think you need to stop sleeping in your van.

Comment by maryb889 – November 22, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Freaking HILARIOUS! So funny and probably true! You made me laugh so hard that I now have a headache. Go figure. Thank you, internet stranger, for making me smile and laugh like that. Happy Thanksgiving and wonderful holiday wishes to you and yours. :)Ali (A very happy and proud Adam Baldwin fan.)

Comment by Ali – November 22, 2011 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show and definitely have mixed feelings about it ending. I’m sad it is ending but happy the writers could actually write a proper ending. In any case I’m extremely happy we got 5 seasons which is ridiculous considering it all could have ended back in season 2.

Comment by Joycee – November 21, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still watch because I love the characters but even this die-hard Chuck fan thinks it needs to end. Morgan as the intersect has not been good. I hate it when show-writers take away the special abilities of their main characters that were the original reason to watch the show.

I had the same feeling when Heroes started an arc where all the Heroes lose their powers. Why would I want to watch that?

Comment by mst3k – November 21, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had that feeling in Heroes, but it was also because they all started acting out of character and the plots made no sense. The Morgan intersect plot made sense… and didn’t last all that long. It was ok with me.

Comment by Ben – November 21, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Morgan storyline, while annoying, seemed to develop the character of Decker and ended relatively soon. The Heroes arc was stupid. When it happened for a short period of time in one episode it was great, because we got to see how they deal without powers, but making it a season arc was dumb.

Comment by Joseph – November 22, 2011 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Going to miss Chuck so much! Will definitely shed a tear or two.

Comment by Amy – November 21, 2011 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad it will end..finally!!!
    I’m going to have withdrawals after the season ends..
    i will miss Chuck but all good things must come to and end..

Comment by kea – November 21, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the words of Michael Scott, “This is gonna hurt like a mother—.”
    The season finale last year was so emotional already. Even the montage in “Chuck versus the Business Trip” already hit the Chucksters hard because of Sarah’s speech..oh goodness, Josh Schwartz. This will be the best and the worst.

Comment by Aiden – November 21, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There has been so much disconnect this season and I’m worried the writers aren’t caring, but I love me some Chuck and this Jeff as a straight man is just killing me (in a good way). My heart breaks a little for Lester and I cannot wait to see where this arrest thing goes. That said, I’m so sad it’s ending, but I tip my hat to NBC for sticking with a show that believe in. They did that when Scrubs was floating on an exceptionally thin bubble and they are doing that here. Kudos to NBC and Team Nerd Herd. Love you all.

Comment by Stephanie – November 21, 2011 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I’m sad now an almost always at the verge of tears after ever episode I really don’t know what’s going to happen to me when Jan. 27 arrives..Really going to miss this Show!

Comment by Mdz – November 21, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is that because nobody will be watching?

Comment by Harry – November 21, 2011 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’ll be a bittersweet episode, I’ve been a fan of the show since the very beginning…it’ll be sad to watch it end. However, I’m happy that NBC is at least giving Chuck a proper ending, I still wish for a back 9 so at least Chuck will have 100 episodes. However, if they drag it out, I guess 13 episodes would be the way to do it.

Comment by Fred – November 22, 2011 12:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad that the final(?)episode will be written by one of the show’s co-creators- that way we’ll get a script that is true to the characters we’ve known the past few years. The past two episodes have brought the show’s quality level back up, though I do miss “Jeffster” (poor Lester, he’s like half a pair of scissors now that Jeff is ‘normal’). I wonder if there is a possibility of a “Chuck” feature film to continue the adventures of Team Bartowski…

Comment by Charles – November 22, 2011 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As much as I’d love a Chuck movie, my guess is if the ratings aren’t that great, the potential audience for a movie might not be too high either! I could probably see adventures continuing in comic form or something like that. But, that would entirely depend on how it ends.

Comment by Mike – November 22, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We have enjoyed CHUCK so much! I can’t wait to see what Zachary Levi does next – a very talented guy~

Comment by Susan – November 22, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They might’ve gotten better ratings had the creators been able to read the audience.

I’mean c’mon people: Chuck and Sarah together, kicking ass with the Intersect=ratings go up.

Chuck and Sarah not together, with no intersect= ratings go down.

This season is nearly halfway over, and Decker is STILL a cartoon bad guy. Either flesh him out or give Chuck back the Intersect so he and Sarah can go back to doing what they do best (and quit whining about wanting to be normal- did you not watch the first seasons of your own show, which were all about them NOT wanting to be normal!?!)

Comment by Whimsical – November 22, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hi i am a huge chuck fan from the Philippines. it’s really disappointing that chuck will end already but i’m still happy because it had totally made my life for 5 years and i bet that they will end it in an amazing way as ever. i totally gonna miss chuck. right now, i’m already preparing myself on what will happen to me after changing my daily routine where chuck has been the biggest part for 5 years. it makes me sad too because, i couldn’t get to see the casts personally before it ended. huhu (T_T)

Comment by jeremy anne – November 22, 2011 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree, I stop watching at this time as well.

Comment by N – November 26, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They lost me with the Morgan Grimes as intersect storyline.

Comment by N – November 26, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • tired of hearing all the bitter comments. Com’on, CHUCK is the best thing TV ever has showed… stop complaining. And the last episode was better than s 4. This s5 can only get good.

love from sweden

Comment by madde – November 26, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck is not ending! It’s moving to another channel…

Comment by mike – December 9, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you’d better not be trolling ><"

Comment by insertname – December 17, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True Chuck fans would love a movie on the Big Screen. IMAX Style :-)

Comment by Richard – December 27, 2011 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post