Castle's Stana Katic: A Traumatic Case Will Bring Beckett a 'Huge Step Closer' to Being With Rick

This Monday on Castle (ABC, 10/9c), the manhunt for a New York City sniper hits a bit too close to the heart for Beckett, who almost instantly has memories of her own, near-fatal shooting jostled anew.

Beckett being Beckett, she labors to put up a brave front. Meanwhile, team members unsuccessfully go out of their way to not utter the S-word — sniper — in front of her. But it only takes a startling squad car siren or a harrowing night terror to make her acknowledge that she’s still suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on the Castle Episode ‘Kill Shot,’ and More

In the gripping hour, titled “Kill Shot,” “We see a different Beckett,” Stana Katic tells TVLine. “We see somebody who’s not as in control as she has been in previous episodes. She’s dealing with something huge, something that a lot of people out there deal with – post-traumatic stress. And from what I’ve read and discussed with people, that is something that is a problem but is not necessarily talked about and not necessarily admitted to, because the people that get it are often people in authority who have to keep the ball rolling. There’s no time to be off your game.”

In a bid to stay on her game and thus hopefully suss out the shooter before he ends more seemingly random lives, Beckett turns to her psychiatrist, Dr. Burke (played by Michael Dorn). But it may be the counsel of a longtime colleague, Detective Esposito (Jon Huertas) — a onetime sniper with the Army Special Forces — that best helps Kate come to terms with the specter of the man who nearly took her own life.

“We know that the boys and Beckett have a great relationship, but this episode in specific showcases the Esposito-and-Beckett relationship — how much they care for each other, and how much of an asset he is to her,” Katic previews. “Beckett’s able to rely on [him] as a friend and as a person that can mentor her through that experience. It’s a deep, dark fear, a big demon she has to face down.”

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Castle‘s Sexy ‘Cuffed’ Episode, and More

The two detectives’ interactions, including a compelling scene where Esposito confronts Beckett with the very rifle that shot her, afforded Katic and Huertas the opportunity to act together in an extra-meaningful capacity.

“It was a really special experience to be able to play opposite Jon,” the actress shares. “In so many cases you’re only as good as your partner, and he brings it this episode. Plus, it’s such a sweet development to their story.”

Watch a sneak peek from “Kill Shot,” then read on for more:

Loading video...

Partly because of the progress Beckett’s team makes in finding their man, but also because of a pivotal session that she and Burke have, Katic says the ordeal will prove to be cathartic for her alter ego – and mark a major move in the direction of pursuing something with Castle, whom in the season opener she deemed off-limits until she could put her mother’s murder behind her.

“[Beckett] realizes that some of the choices that she’s made haven’t necessarily been leading in a direction where she’s choosing to live her life as fully as she could, so she has to step outside of that destination and say, ‘You know what? This choice I’ve made hasn’t let me enjoy all of the wonderful gifts I could be enjoying – one of them being a relationship with Castle,’” says Katic. “This episode brings her one huge step closer to diving into that relationship, which is something that people who are invested in that love story I think will enjoy seeing.”

Exclusive: Castle Recasts [Spoiler]!

In fact, just as three words played a key role both in last May’s finale (Rick professing, “I love you”) and this season’s premiere (Kate revealing, “I remember everything”), “Kill Shot” closes with Beckett saying three words that hint at the launch of a new arc for the lady cop.

“As we continue this season, it’s a different direction for her,” Katic confirms. “I know they’re going to develop that [Beckett/Castle relationship], but I don’t know how yet. I’m with you guys, riding that journey out.”

As for being served such rich material to play in “Kill Shot” – on a show that at first blush any actor could have easily written off as a standard-issue procedural — Katic counters, “I don’t expect anything less. I expect that everything that I work on, and everyone I work with, is always going to be full-force, balls-to-the-wall. I really lucked out in being able to kind of collaborate with [series creator] Andrew Marlowe, [executive producer] Rob Bowman and the group of creative executives, producers, directors, actors and writers that they brought together.”

1. Templar says:

Great! Can’t wait. A week without Castle is a sad thing.

2. Sarah says:

it’s a joy to read Stana’s thoughts on tomorrow’s episode. I’m excited. She’s really invested in the character. Thanks for the interview

3. Nicole says:

OMG
    I can’t wait.
    One day and 6 hours,..:(

4. Lory says:

Well, Beckett was blocking all inside. It was just a matter of time before she broke down.
    It is going to be an amazing episode.

5. Arabella says:

So sad MNF is keeping this from airing until Wednesday at 1 am (or somewhere around there)!

6. dstorm says:

This show…. Do they want to kill the fandom this early….

If she confesses to Castle that she remembers everything, shippers might just die.

If she tells Dr. Burke that she loves Castle, shippers will go crazy or quite possibly die.

Either way can’t wait…

7. Courtney says:

Oooooh, I can’t wait! 1 day and 2ish hours!

8. Sonya says:

It is always a pleasure to see or read an interview with Stana Katic. She always provides thoughtful answers and appears to be passionate about her character. I’ve enjoyed watching her portrayal of Beckett over the last 4 seasons and I am excited to see her (and the rest of the cast) in tomorrow’s night’s episode. Aa always, I am sure she bring her A game in this episode.

9. D says:

We’re 26 hours away from “Kill Shot”. It’s still such a long time to wait. By the way things are going this season, I think the entire fandom will be dead by the time we reach the season finale in May 2012. :)

10. BonesFringeFan says:

Finally! The first episode of Castle that actually looks good since the season 4 premiere… Castle has this habit of having 3-5 really good, interesting episodes with really special Caskett moments per season and the rest, though they have some interesting cases tend to be a little dry… Don’t get me wrong, I love Castle, but there are episodes that are only DVR worthy…

11. Kate says:

I can’t WAIT for this episode! I think Stana Katic and her talent have been a huge surprise and a big part of the success of Castle. She’s fantastic and I love hearing her insights into her character and the show. I’m counting the minutes until tomorrow night. Thanks for the article. (And please list Castle in the shows to watch column tomorrow even though this one is posted tonight!)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You are welcome for the article, but that’s not how it works with the TVLine-Up. Nothing screams “TV Worth Watching!!!” louder than a feature story like this. To list CASTLE a second time is redundant and not fair to other shows vying for a spot.

• Kate says:

I appreciate your response and see where you’re coming from. I just know that there are a lot of days when the only article I get a chance to look at is the what to watch section, and I’m guessing I’m not the only one. I hope people don’t assume you’re not recommending a show because it’s not listed in the tv worth watching article! :-)

• Nadine says:

I think TV Worth Watching would be enhanced by an addendum such as “also airing tonight:…”, so viewers can know which shows are airing new episodes. I get so easily confused when I don’t see my show and I wonder, for ex. “what, no Dexter tonight?”.

12. Jenny says:

Having seen this episode already, I can safely say it was one of my favorite episodes ever for Stana/Beckett, and definitely my favorite moment between Beckett & Espisito. Nothing will ever surpass the airplane hanger scenes from last year, or the freezer box scene from the same storyline, but this episode comes darn close to being one of my favorites for her character as a person.

13. Amy says:

Castle has yet to disappoint with the big episodes. I can’t wait. It may take the place of the bank episode in my season favorites.

14. Suzanne says:

Y’all are jumping to conclusions. Her 3 little words could be “I’m a lesbian”.

15. Michelle says:

I’m hoping her three little words are, “I need him.” Or something to that effect, at least. One other thing… This “Roger” guy… he better be a puppy or something. Just saying.

16. jim says:

Emmy time for Stana Katic~!!

17. Kate says:

i cannot WAIT for this episode. LOVE Stana Katic and LOVE Beckett.

18. MS says:

Kate Beckett and Espo – the chemistry will again be ripe between these two great actors. I still swear that Espo is in love with Beckett, as he is ALWAYS as much there for her in this show as Castle is. I know he has the whole lust thing with Lanie – and Rick and Kate will be together this season, but Espo has a secret hankering for her – LOL. Hope I haven’t put the cat amongst the pigeons in posting this, but I suspect I might have – soz!

• Mcat says:

Actually, I suspected that Esposito had a thing for Beckett in the season 3 premiere, so you’re right. I’ve definitely noticed some chemistry between them

• aleksa says:

I don’t know if I’d really interpret their relationship that way. Because of the hours they work (which can be long) and the nature of the work, people who work in police departments become like family. It’s hard to explain unless you have experienced it, but that’s how I interpret Esposito and Beckett.

19. Jerri says:

GAH! why can’t time move any faster?!?!

20. nitemar says:

It happens among peers, kindred spirits, working partners, they have a protection among them that goes beyond romantic connections if you will. Hard to explain but they do understand each others without any words spoken.

21. Plum says:

Was her emotional breakdown caused by that denin and leather jean-motorcyle jacket? Cuz it’s freakin’ me out too. Poor Stana, her costume designer needs to be walk the plank.

22. sylvia2036 says:

Hey – here in the UK we aren’t even getting to see season 4 yet – how do you think we feel!! However, I’ve bought a season pass from iTunes and I’m watching it online. Goodness knows when it will finally appear on TV here.

• Bear75 says:

I did the same thing! I think they’ve only just finished S2 on Alibi – how pants is that! No way I was waiting, had to get me some latest Castle :0) Stana has been fantastic S3 & this season, she should defo be up for an Emmy next yr xx

23. Chad says:

Stana Katic is the reason I don’t watch Castle. I think she’s just a horrible actress. Everything I’ve ever seen her in has been diminished by her presence. She even lowered the quality of 24 when she was on it.

• @ Chad says:

You should give her another chance. She’s awesome as Beckett on Castle.

• Caskett says:

You know, she has come a long way since 24, and you should definitely revisit your portray of her. She’s nothing short of AMAZING. Give Castle a chance, and if you’re not willing to invest in this show you should definitely watch “For Lovers Only” by the Polish Brothers. This movie is a real gem and I think it is Stana’s best performance to date. I don’t think it gets any better – intimite, beautiful, heartbreaking and simply stunning!
      I don’t think Castle can ever give her the opportunity to show the depths of her acting abilities like “For Lovers Only” could.

24. MS says:

WOW – I can’t believe you see Stana in that way. She is a fantastic actress and lights up the screen. I see it differently to you – I watch Castle because of Stana Katic and Esposito. I would not watch a series with Nathan F in it without SK being in it – funny old world isn’t it Chad LOL? We all see people thru a different telescopic vision! Not a bad thing really!

25. Sarah says:

This episode looks so so awesome. I love all the drama.

26. Stana needs to eat a sandwich or something. I like the cast (though I miss the old vibe where the team wasn’t ‘fighting’ their Captain), but watching an emaciated lead with sunken eyes is getting to be decidedly un-fun.

27. aleksa says:

Having seen the episode now, I have to say it was one of the better portrayals of PTSD I’ve seen on TV.

28. CastleBuffySVU says:

I have no clue what issue someone has with Stana. She’s a fabulous actress, and I honestly think that Castle is phenomenal. Nathan and Stana are amazing actors, and I love them both. This episode was amazing, and so heart wrenching. I love Castle no matter what the feeling of the episode is. Their light hearted episodes are fun, and hilarious, and their serious episodes are phenomenally presented, and they pull at the heart strings. Castle is amazing, and thus far, has shown an incredible storyline for season 4.
    Thank you so much for all of the updates on Castle! :)

29. rachel says:

Adam Baldwin i s great! :) had a fantastic time watching him on Bones!

30. Martin says:

Dudes, why can’t you handle the fact that not everybody is going to think this or that actor is the best thing since slice bread?
    I admit that it is a little weird to diss someone on the comments of an article about her and I so I won’t make the same faux pas – however – in all honest’s truth, let us leave it at -judgment on any individual performer notwithstanding -we can agree to disagree that the combination of its cast here works very well, for no more or less than what the shows aims to be. The fans obviously go bananas over this, I think, because there aren’t this kind of shows in the air anymore. And the dissers are that segment of the population that tends to be a little too incisively catty in their comments. Horses for courses, I get it. But please, grow a pair and try to be classy, or at least classier than the dissers, and be able to live with dissent as well as enjoying your show. It’s not an impossible juggling act.