All-New Arrested Development Episodes Are Coming -- Via Netflix

Gob Bluth would most definitely agree that Netflix has not made a huge mistake.

The video streaming service on Friday announced that it will exclusively offer all-new episodes of the acclaimed yet short-lived comedy, Arrested Development, beginning in 2013.

Arrested Development is one of the finest American comedies in TV history, and its return through Netflix is a perfect example of how we are working closely with studios and networks to provide consumers with entertainment they love,” Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos said Friday in a statement.

Executive producer Ron Howard — who is also the man behind the show’s beloved voiceover — added, “After a long hiatus, I’m dying to finally get back to the narrator’s microphone. ’It’s Arrested…Development.’

Twentieth Century Fox Television and Imagine Television, along with series creator Mitch Hurwitz, will produce the new installments.

Hurwitz in October revealed plans to revive the Emmy-winning series in the form of nine or 10 episodes, each focusing on a different member of the Bluth clan. The standalone concept was likely the result of conflicting schedules, seeing as several members of the original cast now have other obligations (for example, Will Arnett’s Up All Night).

It has yet to be revealed which Arrested Development vets will take part in the reboot, nor how many new episodes can be expected.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: News, Series Orders

1. Jared says:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

2. Mcgee says:

2013?! Gah!

3. Gene-O says:

I just blue myself with excitement!

4. Miffy says:

Didn’t this show already bomb? And hasn’t Netflix lost a ton of subscribers in the last four months?

5. Kristoffer says:

Funniest, smartest and best show ever! I have been thinking of joining Netflix and this helps me decide to finally do it.

6. Christine Picarello says:

This ALMOST makes up for the crappy Community and Cougar Town news we got this week. Why don’t these stupid networks appreciate the shows when they’re still on the air??

7. Casey says:

Ugh. I was SO excited for the new episodes. But I don’t have Netflix. D;

8. TigerNightmare says:

There’s no way these episodes will flounder exclusively on Netflix. One way or another, I will watch the new episodes without giving Netflix one dime.

• Justin says:

Yeeeaa! Screw you, Netflix! How dare you cover the costs to bring back one of my favorite shows ever! How could we even consider showing our approval in this decision with a few months of subscription costs?

Pretty sneaky, Netflix. TigerNightmare and I aren’t falling for it!

• TigerNightmare says:

Just because they’re fronting some of the costs to produce a look back into the lives of the very funny but divided up Bluth clan, it doesn’t forgive Netflix for their arrogance. This is also one of the worst places for the show to end up. A small percentage of the existing customer base will check the show out, an even smaller amount of people will sign up just to see the episodes and a yet even smaller bunch will stay with Netflix beyond their free trial. They might even lose money over this investment. Even on-demand through a single cable or satellite provider would reach a larger audience. Web episodes with commercial breaks are capable of producing more money. This is one of those “better than nothing” situations.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will wait for DVD.

• John says:

Why would you not want to pay money for a product you want to purchase? Even if you subscribe EXCLUSIVELY for AD, it works out that you’re paying like 2 bucks an episode. Which is exactly what it would cost on iTunes or Prime.

• TigerNightmare says:

If it’s $2 an episode, that’s $20. I’d rather just buy the DVD than support the idea of Netflix-exclusive original content.

• DL says:

Of all the greedy corporations out there one shouldn’t support, Netflix is probably the least of them. At least they wear their greed on their sleeve, unlike others that fake altruism while screwing customers and regular folk.

• John says:

Netflix is 8 bucks a month, and presumably there will be a new episode released each week. There are 4 weeks in a month.

9. Analrapist says:

Miffy – I definitely recommend you stay away from Arrested Development. It’s awful! There isn’t even a laugh track so you never know when you’re supposed to laugh!

• GrumpyGoomba says:

This response proves how awesome Arrested Development fans are. I heart you.

• Kyle says:

lol That was good! But kinda sad considering so many people really do need a laugh track to tell them what’s funny. Those same people are the ones that start watching a show just because a promo tells them “Be sure to watch America’s #1 new comedy” Folks no longer want “smart” shows/comedy.

10. D'Arcy says:

WOOOOO!!!!!!

11. Steven says:

If these are only available in the US I will flip my lid.

12. Bobert says:

Of course this happens as soon as I cancel Netflix. :p

Oh well, I guess I can renew in 2013 just for this.

13. Tut says:

Miffy might like a session with the analrapist to get her sence of humor back. Do you bulk bill or is it pay per session? Tell you what I’ll pay for the first one for her!

14. candace says:

As much as I love the Bluths (SO much)I will not fall for Netflix’s sheister ways. Any idea on who we can get in touch with to voice disapproval? Otherwise I’ll just go to someone’s house to watch or find another way.

15. Snapy says:

Glad it’s coming back, but Netflix? I think I’ll just wait for the BluRay.

16. Bob Loblaw says:

the best part about these comments is that all there are all these names from arrested development!

17. Steve Holt says:

Steve Holt!

18. Courtney says:

FANTASTIC.

2013? Come on!

19. T. (Tobias) says:

So excited!! But 2013 is a looong time away. I really hope they can get all the main cast members back.

20. Elliee says:

Yes!!! One of my all-time favorite shows. So much awesomeness came from Arrested Development. My sister had onesies made for her baby son with lines/moments from AD. My favorite is “motherboy” lol

21. Joe says:

Funny that Netflix thinks it will be around by 2013. Glad for more AD but I’d rather support the studio and creators by buying a dvd of new episodes instead.

22. Joe says:

Actually I have a better one now.

I don’t know what more hilarious, Arrested Development or that Netflix thinks it will be around in 2013 to stream this show.

23. Mike says:

Laugh tracks are lame. Who laughs at a show because of annoying audience laughter every 5 seconds, I mean really? Arrested development is most definitely a favorite. Hardest I’ve laughed at television in a long time.

24. Arek says:

@Joe: Shockingly, I bet Netflix knows more about its finances than you do. And being able to partially bankroll the production of new episodes is probably a pretty good indication that they’re doing alright, despite the lost subscribers. But yes, yes, you’re hilarious.

25. B.F. Bluth says:

This was one of the greatest comedies ever!! Up there with modern family…I’m so glad it’s coming back:D and anyone who needs a laugh track is just brainless idiot…true comedy should never have a laugh track

26. Karmacop says:

They must have hired Bob Loblaw Law to negotiate the deal with Netflix with the money in the banana stand.

27. Mr. F says:

PROVE IT!

28. Tom Jane says:

I just want my kids back.

29. Mike says:

Now they just need to do this with Firefly. (If Captain Hotpants can find time between writing best selling Nikki Heat books.)

30. Andrew h says:

I cannot believe it,arrested development shows that enough people see a good thing,that maybe we can get what we want to come back. “i wish they’d do that more often” but i know how hard it is to listen to your loyal audience… I just love the show and cast so much. I’m so happy its returning,i hope eveyone’s participating. “Bring on the never- nudes”

31. B. Bluth says:

2013! Netflix gets off on being withholding.

32. BuddyG says:

Now that it’s going to on NetFilx, the “episodes” could be at any length. It doesn’t have to 30 minutes or apx 22 minutes without commercials. This is a possibility.

Now bring back “Firefly” too!

33. Arman says:

What about international viewers? How are we supposed to watch these episodes before the movie?

34. TobiasFünke says:

Yes! Finally, when Arrested Development gets back my analrapist will finally let me go

35. Sarabi says:

HALLELUJAH!!!

36. Ashley says:

Netflix, you diabolical genius you – you know I have to get back my streaming if you’re going to be showing new episodes of “Arrested Development”!

37. G. Bluth says:

Please refrain from discussing or engaging in any sort of fu-bleep-ing, or su-bleep-ing, or finger-bleep, or bleep-sting, or bleep-esting, or bleep-eing or even bleep. Even though so many people on this board are begging for it.

38. Santiago says:

How can u be so childlish in saying that, a laugh track for god sake…u should be smart enought to catch the humour and laugh by yourself dnt u think? Omg

39. Jessica says:

Congratulations to the fans!! I’m genuinely happy to see years of fan commitment pay off for you guys, in addition to the exciting opportunities this will open up for other critically-acclaimed/cult fan base shows that have been canceled/will soon be canceled.

40. onestell says:

GREAT! Maybe Netflix will jack the prices up another 60% as a way to celebrate! I would’ve preferred to see this deal done with ANYONE ELSE!! Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to wait until they all come sold on dvd.

41. Tina says:

Thank you for your rational comment. Too many people jump on the “bandwagon” without looking at the big picture.

42. Nik says:

AD started the whole fake documentary thing that everyone copies now, the British Office notwithstanding.

43. evan says:

I still can’t believe the person with the laugh track comment. Really? That’s ur only beef with AD? No laugh tracks? I don’t think I’ve watched a show with a laugh track since the early 2000’s. We watch big boy tv over here.

44. AT says:

This is a great idea! Now they should take a look at a couple of other canceled shows that would bring them subscribers and pick them up! First on my list…MOONLIGHT.

45. Barry Z says:

That’s why they’re not going after your idiot demographic