All-New Arrested Development Episodes Are Coming — Via Netflix

Get More: News, Series Orders

Gob Bluth would most definitely agree that Netflix has not made a huge mistake.

The video streaming service on Friday announced that it will exclusively offer all-new episodes of the acclaimed yet short-lived comedy, Arrested Development, beginning in 2013.

Arrested Development is one of the finest American comedies in TV history, and its return through Netflix is a perfect example of how we are working closely with studios and networks to provide consumers with entertainment they love,” Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos said Friday in a statement.

Executive producer Ron Howard — who is also the man behind the show’s beloved voiceover — added, “After a long hiatus, I’m dying to finally get back to the narrator’s microphone. ’It’s Arrested…Development.’

Twentieth Century Fox Television and Imagine Television, along with series creator Mitch Hurwitz, will produce the new installments.

Hurwitz in October revealed plans to revive the Emmy-winning series in the form of nine or 10 episodes, each focusing on a different member of the Bluth clan. The standalone concept was likely the result of conflicting schedules, seeing as several members of the original cast now have other obligations (for example, Will Arnett’s Up All Night).

It has yet to be revealed which Arrested Development vets will take part in the reboot, nor how many new episodes can be expected.

Comments (67)

• Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

Comment by Jared – November 18, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2013?! Gah!

Comment by Mcgee – November 18, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just blue myself with excitement!

Comment by Gene-O – November 18, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s got to be a better way to say that.

Comment by N. Bluth – November 18, 2011 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t this show already bomb? And hasn’t Netflix lost a ton of subscribers in the last four months?

Comment by Miffy – November 18, 2011 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please go back to watching Whitney.

Comment by Duchess – November 18, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL!! This show actually has become VERY popular since it was cancelled. And I would assume the reason netflix is picking it up is to try to gain more subscribers. I cancelled my netflix subscription, but will definitely join again once they start airing the new episodes.

Comment by Christine Picarello – November 18, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There ALWAYS has to be that one lonely person that has nothing better to do except be negative. Hope you feel better about yourself now that you have gotten a little attention.

Comment by Steven – November 18, 2011 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • COME ON!!!

Comment by George Oscar Bluth – November 18, 2011 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Love you for that comment!

Comment by Steve Holt – November 19, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funniest, smartest and best show ever! I have been thinking of joining Netflix and this helps me decide to finally do it.

Comment by Kristoffer – November 18, 2011 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This ALMOST makes up for the crappy Community and Cougar Town news we got this week. Why don’t these stupid networks appreciate the shows when they’re still on the air??

Comment by Christine Picarello – November 18, 2011 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You got that right! As Maeby said “Why do we have to go after this idiot demographic?”

Comment by Fish – November 18, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. I was SO excited for the new episodes. But I don’t have Netflix. D;

Comment by Casey – November 18, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s all of $8 a month, and you could probably watch the whole thing during the free trial period and then cancel.

Comment by Brandy – November 19, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s no way these episodes will flounder exclusively on Netflix. One way or another, I will watch the new episodes without giving Netflix one dime.

Comment by TigerNightmare – November 18, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeeeaa! Screw you, Netflix! How dare you cover the costs to bring back one of my favorite shows ever! How could we even consider showing our approval in this decision with a few months of subscription costs?

Pretty sneaky, Netflix. TigerNightmare and I aren’t falling for it!

Comment by Justin – November 18, 2011 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just because they’re fronting some of the costs to produce a look back into the lives of the very funny but divided up Bluth clan, it doesn’t forgive Netflix for their arrogance. This is also one of the worst places for the show to end up. A small percentage of the existing customer base will check the show out, an even smaller amount of people will sign up just to see the episodes and a yet even smaller bunch will stay with Netflix beyond their free trial. They might even lose money over this investment. Even on-demand through a single cable or satellite provider would reach a larger audience. Web episodes with commercial breaks are capable of producing more money. This is one of those “better than nothing” situations.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will wait for DVD.

Comment by TigerNightmare – November 18, 2011 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Enjoy waiting… but don’t imagine you’re speaking for “the rest of us.”

Comment by Simon Jester – November 19, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well, Tiger speaks for many of us, so sit down and shut it.

Comment by tripoli – November 20, 2011 04:23 PM PDT
    • Why would you not want to pay money for a product you want to purchase? Even if you subscribe EXCLUSIVELY for AD, it works out that you’re paying like 2 bucks an episode. Which is exactly what it would cost on iTunes or Prime.

Comment by John – November 18, 2011 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If it’s $2 an episode, that’s $20. I’d rather just buy the DVD than support the idea of Netflix-exclusive original content.

Comment by TigerNightmare – November 19, 2011 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Of all the greedy corporations out there one shouldn’t support, Netflix is probably the least of them. At least they wear their greed on their sleeve, unlike others that fake altruism while screwing customers and regular folk.

Comment by DL – November 19, 2011 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Netflix is 8 bucks a month, and presumably there will be a new episode released each week. There are 4 weeks in a month.

Comment by John – November 19, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Miffy – I definitely recommend you stay away from Arrested Development. It’s awful! There isn’t even a laugh track so you never know when you’re supposed to laugh!

Comment by Analrapist – November 18, 2011 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This response proves how awesome Arrested Development fans are. I heart you.

Comment by GrumpyGoomba – November 18, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol That was good! But kinda sad considering so many people really do need a laugh track to tell them what’s funny. Those same people are the ones that start watching a show just because a promo tells them “Be sure to watch America’s #1 new comedy” Folks no longer want “smart” shows/comedy.

Comment by Kyle – November 18, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • New Girl? Are your ears burning??? teehee!!!

Comment by jj – November 19, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOOOOO!!!!!!

Comment by D'Arcy – November 18, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If these are only available in the US I will flip my lid.

Comment by Steven – November 18, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course this happens as soon as I cancel Netflix. :p

Oh well, I guess I can renew in 2013 just for this.

Comment by Bobert – November 18, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Miffy might like a session with the analrapist to get her sence of humor back. Do you bulk bill or is it pay per session? Tell you what I’ll pay for the first one for her!

Comment by Tut – November 18, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love the Bluths (SO much)I will not fall for Netflix’s sheister ways. Any idea on who we can get in touch with to voice disapproval? Otherwise I’ll just go to someone’s house to watch or find another way.

Comment by candace – November 18, 2011 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Surely, it would come out on DVD, eventually, right? Can’t you just wait for that?

Comment by Mindy – November 20, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad it’s coming back, but Netflix? I think I’ll just wait for the BluRay.

Comment by Snapy – November 18, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the best part about these comments is that all there are all these names from arrested development!

Comment by Bob Loblaw – November 18, 2011 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Steve Holt!

Comment by Steve Holt – November 18, 2011 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FANTASTIC.

2013? Come on!

Comment by Courtney – November 18, 2011 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited!! But 2013 is a looong time away. I really hope they can get all the main cast members back.

Comment by T. (Tobias) – November 18, 2011 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!!! One of my all-time favorite shows. So much awesomeness came from Arrested Development. My sister had onesies made for her baby son with lines/moments from AD. My favorite is “motherboy” lol

Comment by Elliee – November 18, 2011 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny that Netflix thinks it will be around by 2013. Glad for more AD but I’d rather support the studio and creators by buying a dvd of new episodes instead.

Comment by Joe – November 18, 2011 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually I have a better one now.

I don’t know what more hilarious, Arrested Development or that Netflix thinks it will be around in 2013 to stream this show.

Comment by Joe – November 18, 2011 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Laugh tracks are lame. Who laughs at a show because of annoying audience laughter every 5 seconds, I mean really? Arrested development is most definitely a favorite. Hardest I’ve laughed at television in a long time.

Comment by Mike – November 18, 2011 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Joe: Shockingly, I bet Netflix knows more about its finances than you do. And being able to partially bankroll the production of new episodes is probably a pretty good indication that they’re doing alright, despite the lost subscribers. But yes, yes, you’re hilarious.

Comment by Arek – November 18, 2011 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was one of the greatest comedies ever!! Up there with modern family…I’m so glad it’s coming back:D and anyone who needs a laugh track is just brainless idiot…true comedy should never have a laugh track

Comment by B.F. Bluth – November 18, 2011 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They must have hired Bob Loblaw Law to negotiate the deal with Netflix with the money in the banana stand.

Comment by Karmacop – November 18, 2011 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PROVE IT!

Comment by Mr. F – November 18, 2011 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want my kids back.

Comment by Tom Jane – November 18, 2011 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now they just need to do this with Firefly. (If Captain Hotpants can find time between writing best selling Nikki Heat books.)

Comment by Mike – November 18, 2011 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot believe it,arrested development shows that enough people see a good thing,that maybe we can get what we want to come back. “i wish they’d do that more often” but i know how hard it is to listen to your loyal audience… I just love the show and cast so much. I’m so happy its returning,i hope eveyone’s participating. “Bring on the never- nudes”

Comment by Andrew h – November 18, 2011 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2013! Netflix gets off on being withholding.

Comment by B. Bluth – November 19, 2011 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that it’s going to on NetFilx, the “episodes” could be at any length. It doesn’t have to 30 minutes or apx 22 minutes without commercials. This is a possibility.

Now bring back “Firefly” too!

Comment by BuddyG – November 19, 2011 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about international viewers? How are we supposed to watch these episodes before the movie?

Comment by Arman – November 19, 2011 01:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Finally, when Arrested Development gets back my analrapist will finally let me go

Comment by TobiasFünke – November 19, 2011 03:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HALLELUJAH!!!

Comment by Sarabi – November 19, 2011 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Netflix, you diabolical genius you – you know I have to get back my streaming if you’re going to be showing new episodes of “Arrested Development”!

Comment by Ashley – November 19, 2011 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please refrain from discussing or engaging in any sort of fu-bleep-ing, or su-bleep-ing, or finger-bleep, or bleep-sting, or bleep-esting, or bleep-eing or even bleep. Even though so many people on this board are begging for it.

Comment by G. Bluth – November 19, 2011 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can u be so childlish in saying that, a laugh track for god sake…u should be smart enought to catch the humour and laugh by yourself dnt u think? Omg

Comment by Santiago – November 19, 2011 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congratulations to the fans!! I’m genuinely happy to see years of fan commitment pay off for you guys, in addition to the exciting opportunities this will open up for other critically-acclaimed/cult fan base shows that have been canceled/will soon be canceled.

Comment by Jessica – November 19, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT! Maybe Netflix will jack the prices up another 60% as a way to celebrate! I would’ve preferred to see this deal done with ANYONE ELSE!! Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to wait until they all come sold on dvd.

Comment by onestell – November 19, 2011 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for your rational comment. Too many people jump on the “bandwagon” without looking at the big picture.

Comment by Tina – November 19, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AD started the whole fake documentary thing that everyone copies now, the British Office notwithstanding.

Comment by Nik – November 19, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still can’t believe the person with the laugh track comment. Really? That’s ur only beef with AD? No laugh tracks? I don’t think I’ve watched a show with a laugh track since the early 2000′s. We watch big boy tv over here.

Comment by evan – November 19, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a great idea! Now they should take a look at a couple of other canceled shows that would bring them subscribers and pick them up! First on my list…MOONLIGHT.

Comment by AT – November 20, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s why they’re not going after your idiot demographic

Comment by Barry Z – November 20, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post