ABC's Midseason Schedule Announced: Where's Cougar Town?!

The Cul-de-sac Crew remains banished to ABC’s wine cellar.

The Alphabet network has unveiled its midseason schedule and, shockingly, it doesn’t include any mention of the on-the-bench Cougar Town.

It does, however, include premiere dates for new dramedy GCB (which will replace Pan Am on Sundays at 10 pm beginning in March) and the creepy thriller The River (airing Tuesdays at 9 , beginning Feb. 7) — so there’s that.

TVLine Presents Your Guide to Fall Finale and Winter Return Dates

Other key scheduling shifts:

* New cross-dressing comedy Work It will replace the (essentially) canceled Man Up on Tuesdays at 8:30 pm beginning Jan. 3.

* The Ashley-Judd-fronted drama Missing will air in Charlie’s Angels’ old slot on Thursdays at 8 pm beginning March 15. (Winter Wipeout will fill the slot in January and February.)

* The new cycle of Dancing With the Stars bows Monday, March 19.

Back to Cougar Town, an ABC source assures TVLine that the wine-soaked comedy will return sometime in the spring — which, by our calculations, is still way too late.

UPDATE: Our sister site Deadline.com hears that Cougar Town specifically is due back in March, where it will air Tuesdays at 8:30 (after Last Man Standing). Because of that late start, CT will air an abbreviated 15-episode season.

Also warming the bench: rookie sitcom Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23 and Shonda Rhimes’ latest drama Scandal.

Tags: ,

Comments (137)

• Cougar Town and Community are awesome shows. Why so few episodes of Cougar Town?

Comment by Nadine – November 18, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I’m glad to hear that Man Up is fading away (I tried to like it, but I just did not) but I am so bummed that they are cutting back on Cougar Town. It’s a good show and it deserves a full season. >_<

Comment by Brendan – November 18, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Getting some news that GCB is set to premiere on March 4th the week after the Oscars but it looks like PAN AM is about to join the likes of CHARLIE’S ANGELS, THE PLAYBOY CLUB, PRIME SUSPECT among others to get canceled since some of its episodes won’t air during the Super Bowl or the Grammys or even the Golden Globes and I sense that the season or series finale may somehow aired on maybe January or February.

Comment by kevin – November 18, 2011 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yikes. this reminds me of how nbc treated scrubs during its seven-year run, except when they were airing scrubs they at least actually, you know, AIRED IT. it may have changed time periods a lot, which made it impossible for it to build any audience in a time before DVR, hulu, and on-demand, but at least it was on at the beginning of the season. this is just awful. bill lawrence has piss poor luck. here’s hoping that man up is as terrible as it looks and is cancelled swiftly so cougar town can replace it.

Comment by bob – November 18, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear Cougar Town is coming back Tuesdays at 8:30 in March, but sad that we are losing 7 episodes that we were promised. Ugh, ABC sucks.

Comment by Snapy – November 18, 2011 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well not to be mean but I do expect for Work it to not even make it to a few episodes so Cougar Town will come back much sooner. Also sucks about Apt. 23 and scandal, I wanted to see those and I wanted Scandal to go on before grey’s not Missing.

Comment by juan – November 18, 2011 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Cougar Town to come back so bad I am even willing to pray to Grilled Cheesus for it. I know I am mixing up my comedies and networks but I don’t care. That is how bad I want my show back.

Comment by the girl – November 18, 2011 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People should really stop the juvenile debates about the merits of Cougartown. Some people like it, some don’t. Some people love Two and a Half Men, some people hate it. That’s the way things are.
    I love Cougartown and I’m disappointed that we’ll have to wait until March to see the crew again.
    I hope Pan Am can improve in ratings because it’s not a bad show. It has some really appealing elements and the potential is there but the writing is off and the characters are not being developed properly. They are not compelling enough.

Comment by Babygate – November 18, 2011 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC, ‘Work it’? Really? Did ‘Man Up’ teach you nothing? They should stop experimenting with ridiculous concepts. Just like ‘Don’t trust the b**** in apt 23′. Guess they didn’t learn anything from CBS’s ‘*** my Dad Says’. Can the ridiculous comedies and bring on something more substantial. Missing, Scandal and The River all sound like they have a lot of potential. Why not bring them out first?

Comment by Babygate – November 18, 2011 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When they changed the name to “Don’t trust the bitch in apt 23″ I lost interest. It’s too long of a title plus if they have to add “bitch” to the title to garner attention obviously it’s not very good.

Comment by lacey – November 19, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it really sucks that community is being taken off the air until who knows when, and now cougar town. but what about apt 23, i heard a lot of good things about that show, why the heck isn’t abc putting that one on, seriously man up, work it and last man standing get to be on the air why not cougar town and apt 23, also while i like whitney cummings and chris d elia, whitney should be off the air not community.

Comment by adam – November 19, 2011 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On Cougar Town: I’m wondering if the additional 7 episodes may be added to Season 4, if/when there is one.

Also, ABC doesn’t seem very loyal to it’s own shows at the moment. They renew CT and then stuff it around, just like the mid-season hiatus during the last season. Why is a new show like Work It, which is clearly doomed before it begins, is given priority over a show which they know actually delivers, based on the fact that it’s in it’s third season.

But Last Man Standing has good numbers, so it’s a good lead in as far as I’m concerned.

Comment by Darcy – November 19, 2011 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 15 episodes? HELL NO.

Comment by Sarabi – November 19, 2011 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t they throw us a bone and show us Cougarton Abbey while we wait? It is only a few episodes because those Brits know how to wrap up a show.

Comment by Jessica – November 19, 2011 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry, but does ANYONE actually think “Work It” has a snowball’s chance in Hell of actually succeeding?

Comment by Ashley – November 19, 2011 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aaarrrggg! I need my CT fix stat!!

Comment by Becca – November 19, 2011 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why should we be surprised about Cougar Town? This is the channel that cancelled Eli Stone and Pushing Daisies and keep coming up with shows half as good.

Comment by Davey – November 19, 2011 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First off, wtf is ‘the Sarah palin crowd’. If that’s supposed to refer to people who like Sarah palin, then stereotype much?
    And secondly, everyone’s entitled to watch the tv shows they like – it’s not like anyone’s forcing you to watch them too. I’m pretty sure that the idea is tv shows is to entertain people, not to give people like you something to complain about. Obviously not every show is a winner, but if a show gets picked up for another season or gets good ratings and reviews during prime time, then obviously it’s because enough people watched it and like it.
    It’s actually quite simple; if you don’t like a show, they just don’t watch it and problem solved. Then you can leave the people who DO like those shows to go ahead and enjoy them and be upset when they’re delayed or cancelled instead of having to listen to you complain about them and the types of people you assume watch them

Comment by A – November 19, 2011 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oops, sorry, that was supposed to be a reply to another comment but it didn’t post as a reply :/

Comment by A – November 19, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t do this to me ABC… I need my Cougar Town, you ruined my life once by canceling Pushing Daisies… Don’t kill me again.

Comment by Ryan – November 19, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You just showed hour ignorant butt to the world bitch.

Comment by Pkevinm – November 19, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First Community now Cougar Town it’s like T.V. execs have something against good television.

Comment by lacey – November 19, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It comes down to simple scheduling. Because ABC has been able to pick up Suburgatory, Happy Endings, Last Man Standing, as well as Revenge and Once Upon a Time, there is little room on the schedule for it…and ABC standards won’t let it air before 9/8c.

Comment by Mwah – November 19, 2011 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait……what do you mean that Man Up is (essentially) cancelled???? I am seriously IN LOVE with Man Up right now! This last episode about the lesbian coffehouse was one of the funniest half hours I’ve seen on television in a long while.

Yeah, that’s pretty much all I got out of this article. Never really watched Cougar Town but I know how it feels since Community is one of my favorites getting benched as well.

What is going on in the tv world these days??

Comment by alyssa – November 19, 2011 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC treats Cougar Town as poorly as CBS treats Rules of Engagement! These two shows are hillarious! Shame on you ABC!

Comment by mandy – November 20, 2011 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Apparently the networks really do not like Abed. Why are they taking Once Upon A Time off the schedule when it is one of the most best received new shows this season that consistently has great viewership? Don’t understand any of this.

Comment by Amy – November 20, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They made a big mistake benching Community.. it was bad enough they moved it to the same time slot as The Big Bang Theory. I’m sad to hear about Man Up! I thought it was a very funny show!

Comment by Desi – November 20, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cougartown is a terrifically executed show with smart, funny writing performed by an engaging cast. Though it’s an ABC Studios show, at what point after this season could the producers shop it around (new title) to other networks?

Comment by Raymond McNeel – November 20, 2011 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This from the network that randomly burned off episodes of Better Off Ted, the smartest comedy on air since Arrested Development. I’m not surprised.

Comment by Pat – November 21, 2011 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Cougar Town was the best show. My husband & I love Modern Family & the new show Revenge, but we miss Cougar Town. I am so ready for Season 3 & I believe they are saving the best for last!

Comment by A&H – December 8, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post