Survivor: South Pacific: Which Remaining Player Do You Hope Will Win It All?

“This is the time to make a big, big move.” So said recent turncoat Cochran, contemplating another blindside against a veteran player, on this week’s installment of Survivor: South Pacific. And for a brief, exciting moment, I thought the Harvard Law student was going to team up with fellow former Savaii members Dawn and Whitney — plus seemingly savvy Upolus Sophie and Hot Albert — to stage a coup against self-described “old mob boss” Coach.

It certainly made sense: With nine players left in the mix (not counting Redemption Island), Dawn and Whitney, the last remaining players outside the Circle of Seven, were free agents ready to give their votes and their loyalties to anyone who asked. Didn’t Albert and Sophie remember how Brandon, Edna, and that mustachioed guy who never speaks all voted with Coach, not them, when Albert and Sophie had lobbied to keep Mikayla in the game a few weeks back?

To steal a quote from Whitney: “I don’t understand how these smart people can be so stupid.”

Now, with Dawn and Whitney on Redemption Island, it seems like Coach will continue to dictate play. And he’d be daft not to take deplorable Brandon and useless Edna to the finale. Really, would either of those two get a single jury vote if they make it all the way? As Albert said of Edna, the object of the game isn’t to “outorganize, outclean, and outgather.” And in the case of Brandon, it’s not about outcreeping, outseething, and outmood-swinging.

If you happened to miss the episode, a few other points of interest that you missed: Ozzy snuffed out Keith and Jim’s dreams in a Redemption Island duel that involved balancing two poles and a plank on the tops of their hands; Ozzy responded to his win with (justifiable?) arrogance and interminable yammering about playing with “passion and ferocity”;  Sophie eked out a win over Brandon and Dawn in the first immunity challenge that called for players to balance bowls of rice on their heads as they raced over teeter-totters; Coach laughably declared at Tribal Council, “I’m not running this alliance. I’m not running the show.” (as if he’s fooling anyone); Dawn got booted (when even Brandon’s vote of “Don” counted against her); another instant immunity challenge took care of Whitney (who lost to Sophie thanks to a question about the dangers of giant Pacific clams). If I were Whitney, I wouldn’t have bothered for a vote, marched over to Probst, and snuffed out my own torch, thank you very much.

Question for all of you: Anyone else wish the producers had skipped the rice race in favor of one of those challenges where players have to wipe each other out and ultimately reveal the tribe pecking order? I always feel like those types of revelations prompt the kind of delicious outrage, scheming, and backstabbing that make this show so much fun to watch.

And of course, this week’s other question: Who are you rooting for? I’d have said Albert or Sophie, had either one shown the courage to upend Coach, but now I’m going to have to hope Dawn survives Redemption Island and comes roaring back to an upset win. How about you? Sound off in the poll below, and for all my reality commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Snapy says:

I hope Ozzy wins it all. I am so disgusted my tribe was decimated. I hate Upolu, especially Albert and Sophie. They need to go, even before Coach! GOOOO OZZY!!!!!!!!

• Edna's Mom says:

Edna for the WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sean says:

My Random Thoughts:

I was dreading the Redemption (Non) Island (Non) Duel because I was afraid that it was going to be the same scenario as last year, where only the last place finisher was eliminated. Thankfully, this season, it’s only the winner who stays. Jim went out first, which any legit poker player will tell you is always humiliating (but Jim did that quite often this season), and even though it was edited like the end of the competition was close, we all knew that Ozzy would eventually win.

Why did we know Ozzy would win? Because of what may be the worst preview editing in Survivor history! Remember last week’s preview, where we saw Ozzy fishing, grilling, and standing atop a palm tree? Well, at this point in the episode, we haven’t seen ANY OF THAT YET…so he obviously wins. Very disappointing.

Also, this season’s challenges seem to be heavily based on balance. Both the Redemption (Non) Island (Non) Duel, and the Immunity Challenge this week were balance challenges…and the Immunity Challenge had two different elements: balancing the rice on your head, and balancing as you walked over the teeter-totter.

It seems like Survivor’s challenge-creating team goes through phases where they just go with a theme for most of the season. We’ve seen seasons where it’s based on physical strength, seasons where it’s mostly puzzles, seasons where every challenge ended with ‘cut a rope and raise a flag’, and the dreadful TILES from the past two seasons.

If you’re looking for more to read on Survivor after you’re done here, I hope you’ll check out my recap at http://sfurfaro.blogspot.com/2011/11/survivor-south-pacific-recap-whos.html or you can just click on my name.

• patrick says:

yaa ozzyy

2. Sally says:

Sophie. I honestly don’t like much of the Upolu members. But I don’t like Ozzy either. Wish Jim was still in the game.

3. BeachBum says:

It’s gonna be a longshot but I would like to see Dawn pull a rabbit out of a hat and cause some major damage. She seems sensible and does great in the challenges…an all-round good player.

4. Ben says:

Dawn or Cochran.

5. Nick says:

This is why I miss reward challenges. Making the winner pick one or two people to come with them always revealed who was closer to who. Imagine if Coach won a reward, you can’t pick all six members of your alliance.

• Mel says:

@Nick, I completely agree. I prefer the reward challenges to the redemption island bs. If they insist on redemption island challenges they should discontinue after the merge.

6. Rebecca says:

Let’s see. Ozzy is conceited, Sophie is boring, Edna is nice, Brandon is most improved, Coach is clever, Cochran is wishy washy, and Albert is… Albert. So Edna, Brandon, and Coach are the best of what’s left. One of them should win.

7. Alison says:

People actually want Ozzy to win? Yeesh. The guy’s played the game three times now and still has no idea how awful his social game is. He did realize that when he was running his mouth at the duel about how he’s going to beat everyone to come through RI, he was talking to a bunch of potential jury members, right? I really hope another returning player doesn’t win…

• Kiki says:

I completely agree. While Coach has used his experience to become a much better player, Ozzy has just become more and more full of himself. He was so likable in his first season, he was laughable in his second season, and now he’s just a complete joke.

8. Chris says:

I am shocked to see that people are still rooting for Ozzy. I would like to see Whitney or Sophie win as of now…

9. Melissa says:

I voted for Albert. I would have voted Sophie if she had “made the big move.” I was very disappointed they spent so much time discussing the big move, and then it not happening. What a let down. :(

• tripoli says:

Agreed. They must be aware that they are at the bottom once Cochran is gone. It’s pretty clear that Benjamin will take Edna and Brandon to the end, which would be one of the worst final 3 I could imagine. Although considering how much I can’t stand most of the players still in the game, that isn’t saying much. Albert and Sophie seem like smart people who are also fairly strategic, but the choice not to break up Benjamin’s obvious control was a stupid game move on their part. Still rooting for Ozzy, who I think was right on in his little speech at Redemption. The guy is obviously skilled on the physical side, as well as with fishing. And if he’s able to spend a good chunk of time at Redemption, eating, resting, not having to scramble before tribal, he’s kinda got the advantage.

10. Susan says:

Definitely Ozzy.

11. JohnDoe says:

What a boring season. It’s playing out just like the Boston Rob season. Coach is poised to win it all because no one else has any guts.

12. PrintQc says:

What did Ozzy do to deserve winning the game??? The fact that he’s at 32% blows my mind.

He whined the whole season, got outsmarted by Cochran, played a TERRIBLE social game and he did not outperform anyone. If Albert goes to Redemption Island he has a shot at beating him.

Coach came with much more “baggage” and he’s maybe the most powerful. He won the Michayla/Edna debate and created fear into Albert and Sophie. They weren’t gunning for him.

This poll is the reason I’m happy Survivor isn’t a public vote.

13. Justin says:

This recap is way more entertaining than that episode was. I’m so sick of the anticlimactic Redemption Island “twist” and bringing back past players (nobody should be allowed to play more than twice, if that) who get treated like royalty. I’m also rooting for Sophie or Albert. Heck, even Cochran.

14. Magically Suspicious says:

Ozzy!!!

15. emmalinesadie says:

Anyone, anyone but Coach. His arrogance makes me dislike him more and more every episode, although I haven’t yet watched last night’s installment. My personal hope would be that it’s anyone who manages to survive from the Savaii tribe cause I just don’t like anyone from Upolu.

• tripoli says:

He wasn’t bullied. People were just honest with him about how terribly weak and useless he was on the tribe. The guy is awful, plain and simple. But telling the other tribe you were the poor little, bullied underdog got him enough sympathy to stick around a few more weeks.

16. Victoria says:

Cochran. He makes me laugh and I cannot stand when a person is bullied. I would like to see the person who is bullied win once in a while.

17. Ed says:

Personally I am glad Dawn is gone, I liked her from beginning and loved that her and Cochran were going to abandon ship. She was so upset at the way Cochran was being treated etc etc etc However, once Dawn won immunity that day all of that changed. She couldn’t understand why Cochran would do such a thing, their tribe is like family blah blah blah. And what do you know, her back was against the wall last night and she YET AGAIN wanted to join up with Cochran. So glad she is gone.

18. Vetle says:

Always wanted Sophie to win. She plays smart. A quiet strategist, and a strong player for challenges.

19. Ariel says:

Definitely Ozzy. Loved him from his original season.

I am really hating those who are left. I hate what Cochran did. I hate that Dawn did not out him. I wish that Sophie and Albert had voted out Edna. That would have at least been interesting.

I was just starting to like Whitney.

20. adam says:

Ozzy??? really??? he has played a terrible game, by being way to cocky. I think he seems like a cool person, but there is no way he deserves to win this season, and I don’t think he will.

I think Coach has played a good game, and they are all crazy to think of going to the end with him.

Sophie or Albert could also win.

I think Cochran could possibly make the finals, but I he has no shot of winning.

Whitney disgusts me.

21. fiona says:

This feels like a week repeat of Redemption Island, except this time with Coach who I never liked. I’m annoyed that the castaways always go to the veteran and try to ride their coat tails thinking “Oh they’d never get the votes in the end” Yeah and no one likes coat tailers any more than repeaters. If they want to make it past the Coach block they need to step out and actually face up to the man. Especially Albert and Sophie. One needs to win immunity, the other needs to find a SII stat. And if Ozzy comes back I’d rather all three make it to the finale

22. jake says:

I don’t get why they were going after edna instead of going after coach? But they ended up doing neither — so they get their just desserts for the bad decisions they make — they keep making plans but don’t follow through.

23. whislerpotpie says:

From now on, I’m doing everything with passion and ferocity.

I think Brandon’s vote was for Coach. As head of the Mob family. The Mafia Don.

I hate that Sean posts his random thoughts here. Hate it with passion and ferocity.

24. susela says:

Why use rice in that challenge instead of sand or pebbles? They could have fed a village with what they carelessly spilled on the ground. Seeing them waste all that precious food in a world where people are starving was deeply upsetting.

25. J says:

I HOPE OZZY WINS IT ALL..OZZY LAYED OUT AN AWESOME PLAN, TOO BAD ….COCHRAN IS A SNAKE..GO OZ!!!! IVE WATCHED EVERY SEASON AND VOTE FOR THE OZ

26. Jill says:

I think that it could be a real interesting finale if

27. nodak says:

I’m ready for a good old-fashioned Survivor where there are no ex-players involved. I’d like to see the dynamics that evolves on the teams when they know nothing about anyone. I also miss the reward challenges where they take someone with them. Both of these changes have eliminated some of the social game, and have made stategy and physical ability more important.

28. jr says:

rooting for ozzy, but he’s in a bad place because of bad luck and average social game. Should have suspected cochran or voted him out with an idol or something. He needed a big move which he didn’t recognize. He thought he might get a bigger footing by sacrificing himself to redemption the first time. What a big mistake since cochran wasn’t with them to begin with. Anyway the hell with Cochran and his whine. If you suck in a challenge, it don’t matter which tribe u in, u gonna get judgment about it. Yet this tribe gives u opportunity. Damn this nerd.

29. rumah dijual says:

i hope Coach the winner
    because from other survivor episode hes not devil or villian

go coach!!

30. luis says:

They should have listened to ozzy from the start instead of betraying him I hope ozzy sends them all home and i cant wait to see cochran face ozzy at redemption. Go ozzy

31. Alfredo! says:

GO BRANDON!

32. b.mann says:

I don’t care who wins as long as its not coach! I can’t stand him……I love survivor and have not missed a single season but if he wins I’m done!