TVLine Items: Jason Segel's SNL Promos Debut, Gossip Girl Alum Lands USA Pilot and More!

It’s hard to believe, but Jason Segel hosts Saturday Night Live for the first time this weekend. And if the following promos are a preview of what’s to come, the How I Met Your Mother vet was born for the gig.

Press play below and watch Segel and SNL‘s resident Miley Cyrus impersonator Vanessa Bayer goof around — and fake flirt! — ahead of Saturday’s show.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Gossip Girl alum Aaron Tveit has landed the lead in a new USA Network pilot by White Collar creator Jeff Eastin, per Deadline. The untitled hourlong project follows several agents across various federal and local government agencies, with Tveit playing a newly appointed member of the FBI.

NBC has axed the ratings-challenged Prime Suspect. According to Deadline, production on the Maria Bello-starring crime drama will wrap this month, ultimately fulfilling the series’ 13-episode order.

• Criminal Minds has tapped Dean Cain (Lois & Clark) to guest-star in an episode slated to air in early 2012. Per The Hollywood Reporter, Cain will play a “down-on-his-luck gambler” who thinks killing people is his lucky charm.

Bridesmaids scene-stealer Wendy McLendon-Covey will play a nurse in a January episode of TV Land’s Hot In Cleveland, EW.com reports.

Chelsea Handler has inked a new two-year deal with E! that will keep her late-night gabfest, Chelsea Lately, on the air through 2014.

Bravo has ordered a new series, titled Don’t Be Tardy for the Wedding, which follows the lead-up to the nuptials of Real Housewives of Atlanta star Kim Zolciak and Atlanta Falcons player Kroy Biermann.

TLC is taking its Extreme Couponing sensation to the max with Extreme Couponing All Stars, a new series (premiering Tuesday, Dec. 27) featuring the mothership’s top savers facing off in shopping challenges.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Annie says:

Prime Suspect cancelled, really NBC? I guess quality programming doesn’t matter anymore. It was getting better each week. I was enjoying Tim Griffin and Damon Gupton.

• Kim R says:

I can’t believe they cancelled Prime Suspect. I watched the pilot and was immediately sucked in. Really good acting, sharp dialogue and great story lines. I really like Maria Bello as well. So disappointed. :(

2. kevin says:

NBC still can’t catch a break and it sad to see PRIME SUSPECT getting canceled. Who knows what will happen during mid-season now that THE FIRM is taking over the 10 p.m. Thursday night time slot but I think the John Grisham novel – based drama could be another bomb for the Peacock Network.

• ESLKid75 says:

I am actually looking forward to the upcoming series Awake on NBC, but it is nowhere on the mid season schedule, so maybe it will take the spot left vacant by Prime Suspect… Although considering that Awake will air on NBC, it probably will be cancelled, despite being pretty good, I suspect… :-(

3. John Berggren says:

Weird promos…

4. The Boy says:

On Vanessa Bayer

she (Vanessa) is the best impersonating my Mentor Miley Cyrus I thought Its Pretty Funny she made fun of my mentor I knew that she had it coming to her that night when she (Miley) came out as Justin Bieber but she had the wrong man at the time Ms. Bayer I know your listening right now at SNL Thinking what would my mentor had to me anyway I derseve that at all she knew about the person in life but you’ll see it again and again that everyone has been talking about the day that Miley Cyrus doing impersonating me I didn’t see it coming form her I wish she had the explainion for that whoever made that skit I really didn’t find it not funny.

5. Renee says:

RIP Kroy Biermann. You were a fun player to watch, guess your career is pretty much over now.

6. CJ says:

As a dedicated White Collar fan, I’m interested to see what else Mr. Eastin has up his sleeve!

And I really, REALLY tried to like Prime Suspect. But the characters just never really managed to get me involved.

7. cj says:

VANESSA BAYER!!!!! that is all.

8. Snsetblaze says:

I’m bummed about Prime Suspect. I’ve always liked Maria Bello and Aiden Quinn and that show was getting better and getter each week. I am not excited about The Firm.

9. Magically Suspicious says:

I really liked Prime Suspect. And I didn’t expect to from the previews. I hate to see it get the ax.

10. stk says:

yay aaron tveit!! so excited to see him have a vehicle where he is the lead.

can’t wait for snl with jason segel! (or the muppet movie!) here’s hoping the writing is stellar because jason deserves it!