Susan Lucci on All My Children's Scrubbed Online Launch: It's 'Simply Untrue' That I Caused It

Susan Lucci wants fans to know that it’s “simply untrue” that she is one of the reasons why All My Children is not moving forward via Prospect Park’s TheOnlineNetwork.com.

“This is simply untrue and not the case,” the daytime legend said Wednesday in a passionate statement posted to her Facebook page.

Lucci went on to explain that she has “been in discussions [to stay with AMC] since Prospect Park first expressed interest in moving the series online, and [in early September] I made it clear that I would be ecstatic to be a part of All My Children in a prominent way if they committed to producing the series for another year.

“I have not heard back from Prospect Park since then,” she revealed. “In fact, I learned of their decision not to proceed with All My Children at the same time you did, through the media.”

 One Life to Live‘s Florencia Lozano, Tuc Watkins and Two Others Join Online Venture

Lucci concluded her sentiments, graciously — presumably as a show of no hard feelings — calling her lengthy run with the 40-year-old soap “a privilege and honor.”

Last week, ABC Soaps In Depth reported that Prospect Park has benched AMC‘s online reboot indefinitely, citing a source as saying that the media upstart “only need[s] one soap opera for their new Internet channel,” and that honor will go to One Life to Live. A spokesperson for Prospect Park has yet to comment on that report.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Daytime TV, News

Comments are monitored, so don’t go off topic, don’t frakkin’ curse and don’t bore us with how much your coworker’s sister-in-law makes per hour. Talk smart about TV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

28 Comments
  1. Lexi says:

    This whole thing is absurd at this point.

  2. Cory B says:

    WTF!!?? If this is true, I’m done!! Prospect Park is STUPID if they don’t use BOTH soaps!!

    • Vlad says:

      It’s about money. PP isn’t fully funded. OLTL had better ratings. So, moving forward with it makes more sense financially.

      Unfortunately,PP seems to be following ABC’s poor PR/marketing example. Instead of keeping fans updated and excited, PP let rumor and speculation rule the day.

      I’m sure PP would prefer to launch with two shows, especially AMC, which has better brand recognition, but the money isn’t there. PP should have blog where it explains things. It should be leveraging social media (blogs, Twitter, & Facebook) to communicate with fans. It’s not. That’s a shame.

    • Mika says:

      Although I would prefer Prospect Park to choose AMC over OLTL, I understand their thoughts. I mean why do they need more than one soap? All the major networks have essentially decided they only need one, granted CBS has 1 1/2. It is all business. If something is not profitable, it is not a sustainable business no matter how passionate the fan base is. Trust me, if soaps were still a highly profitable format, all the networks would still be in the business.

  3. JAmandaFan says:

    Of course she is one of the reasons! She’s not the only reason, but she definitely is one the reasons. If she had signed on the show would have their iconic character–but instead the show only has Ryan Lavery and relatively new character Cara Castillo—not much of a sale, especially considering how many big characters are already attached to OLTL online.

    • Eric Kane says:

      Exactly.

    • Denise says:

      Didn’t reports come out earlier that PP had offered Lucci the same exact money that she was currently making and that she turned it down? The reason that OLTL was chosen over AMC is Erica Slezak. They needed big names to sign and Erica signed up quickly and with little fuss. I have never watched OLTL (GH for me) but the respect that I hold for Erica Slezak is immense. I will make sure to check out OLTL when it goes online.

  4. Tess says:

    Cady McClain (AMC’s Dixie) also recently said something about how everyone from the cast that she has spoken with has not heard a word about what it going on either and many of them were only in very early talks with PP at best when the news came out that they were holding off on AMC. She also said something about not wanting people to think it was the lack of actor signings that was causing the problem because many of them want to stay with the show but just haven’t been asked yet. I do find it odd that there were two signings announced officially at all though, if so few of them have even been spoken to about deals and Lucci is saying she had been in talks with them still but they have left her hanging…why wouldn’t you be still working to get her locked in if you still intend to bring the show back online even if it is later than originally projected? I would think the longer they wait to work on those contracts with the actors, the less likely the same folks will be available when you do go ahead with it. Just makes me think they never will..in which case it really is upsetting not only because we’ve had that hope held out to see it resurrected but also because the show could’ve had a more proper conclusion than it was given. Not fair to leave us wondering who JR shot…

  5. LuluB says:

    The fact that ABC took off a successful show watched by millions shows stupidity. And to replace it with yet ANOTHER reality shows very poor judgement. Money spending viewers are more interested in a storyline that takes their minds off the “reality” of daily life just for awhile. Inwas and still am extremely mad about the end of AMC and continue to boycott their station. Wise up ABC. Before it’s too late!!!

    • CJ says:

      The reason there hasn’t been more of a backlash against the cancellation of All My Children is pretty simple: soaps in general have been fading steadily and consistently for a couple of decades now. The rating for what is by far the top show (Young & the Restless) nowadays would have put it in last place when they were at their peak. And All My Children was, even more than the others, a shadow of its former self. The only reason it wasn’t cancelled earlier was its long proud tradition. This whole online-revival idea was pretty silly, and I’m not surprised it’s foundering before it even launches.

    • AJ says:

      Millions LuluB? Well, 2 million. But please don’t make it seem like AMC had huge ratings. It didn’t when it was canceled. It hadn’t for years.

    • Mchert says:

      I totally agree with you, Lulu! I love watching AMC, OLTL & GH to take my mind off the “reality” of daily life for a while. Out of curiousity, I’ve watched the Chew and it is BOOOORRRRING! Did we really need ANOTHER cooking show? I would be very surprised if the Chew is pulling in the ratings ABC says were lost from All My Children. Now, they are putting yet ANOTHER reality show to replace OLTL. I cannot imagine that ABC and Brian Frons, president of ABC Daytime, are not aware of the big mistakes they are making.

    • Rebecca says:

      But it was NOT a successful show. Viewership was putridly low at barely 2 million people a day and poor numbers with women ages 18-49. Those numbers won’t pay the bills. The show was on the verge of losing money instead of turning even just a slim profit. There simply were not enough viewers.

  6. liz says:

    I also have not watched one minute of any ABC show. Absolutely wont! It use to be the only channel I ever watched. Now if prospect park doesn’t start amc I will definitely not watch anything of theirs. If they seriously are not going to produce amc, could Agnes please write a book and finish it appropriately or a movie or something? This is horrible to destroy a part of our lives like this.

    • AJ says:

      Cut off your nose to spite your face?

    • Prospect Park says:

      Oh no, liz won’t watch anything we put on if we don’t put on her show!? Whatever will we do without liz! Her viewership represents dozens of potential dollar in ad revenue over a five year period!!!!

  7. SLS says:

    I first stopped watching the View, too much liberalism and the fact I couldn’t follow a conversation as the hosts consistently talk/shout over each other, gave me heat burn. Same thing with Good Morning America! Can’t stand listening to George. All My Children, One Life to Live and General Hospital were the only things I would consistently tune in too. I don’t need The View, The Chew, and whatever The they come up with next.

    I am very disappointed that All My Children will not be on Prospect Parks line up. I am unsure how the whole internet viewing would go, but I was willing to give it a try.

    • Annabelle says:

      I totally agree with you!! My last straw was Barbara Wa Wa’s defending the jerk of the world (Bill Maher) and not her collegue Elisabeth…so long ABC daytime, you belong in the sewer with the liberal trash you keep promoting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      • Larissa says:

        Barbara defended Bill Maher?? Please, the whole thing was a setup so that poor Elisabeth could jump on Bill because he hurt her little feelings. She couldn’t just tell him off and move on, she had to highjack the entire interview. She couldn’t have been more juvenile. Bill was right, being with her is like being in high school. She needs to grow up. I

  8. Jane says:

    Brava to Lucci for speaking out. She is being used as a scapegoat. She wanted assurance that Prospect Park carry the show for at least a year and PP balked. That means they are not committed to the show 100%.

  9. cat says:

    ABC shouldn’t have cancelled AMC. Big mistake. I watched the show for over 40 years, and have watched “The Chew” for 0 seconds. Enough said. If PP brings back AMC, I will watch it faithfully. Susan Lucci rocks.

  10. FAN says:

    I think there is more to the story than meets the eye. We are just not privy to it yet. It’s been a bit of a roller coaster with the rumors of cancellations, the cancellation, the resurrection, and now the downfall. PP was a wild card to start with IMO. They went with the show that had a better demo IMO. Personally I’d have rather bet on AMC. But it’s their money and their business and their possible missteps. It is a business and it will all play out eventually. But Agnus Nixon should get a chance to show HER ending if AMC is really gone forever. After forty one years I think she deserves it. Prime time one hour wrap up anyone? ABC has nothing to lose on this one and everything to gain in public relations.

    • bj says:

      Yes, these comments must be monitored- my 3rd try! I agree that AMC deserves a proper ending….somehow! Maybe by now though, it is PP’s hope that all the actors will get fed up with waiting and do other things. I think that if there is truly going to be no AMC on line then those actors who had wanted to continue could reprise their characters in Llanview on OLTL. Characters did cross over in past years.

  11. Leslie says:

    The show The chew. Is a joke. It stinks. I cannot believe they took off ANC for that. Get real. Bring ANC back.

  12. bw says:

    I’ll solve this problem No AMC. Online…I’ll just watch Y&R on TV and happy with that… At least I’ll know it will be on.

  13. Gigi says:

    Everybody tell your selves “It was only pretending”. “only acting”. Get a life you pathetic masses.

  14. Valerie says:

    put AMC back on the air leave one life alone since some of their characters went to general hospital

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,478 other followers