Ricky Gervais to Return as Golden Globes Host – Are You Happy to Have Him Back?

Thicken your hides, Hollywood, because Ricky Gervais is set to complete the hat trick and host the Golden Globes for a third straight year.

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which throws the annual kudosfest, announced Gervais’ return on Wednesday afternoon via Twitter. NBC will, as is tradition, broadcast the comparatively fast-and-loose awards ceremony on January 15, 2012.

It’s Official: Billy Crystal to Return as Host of Oscars

Gervais wasted no time in laying claim to his comedy turf, tweeting that he had already warned Billy Crystal — who is set to host the Academy Awards weeks later, on Feb. 26 — to “not use any of my Holocaust or pedophile material…. He agreed.”

After being criticized for an unexpectedly bland performance during his first turn as Globes host, Gervais drew fire the second time around by taking volatile shots at, for example, A-listers Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp’s performances in The Tourist, Scientology and Robert Downey Jr.’s past drug use, and by introducing presenters in snarky ways (e.g. dubbing Bruce Willis “Ashton Kutcher’s dad”).

In the wake of that broadcast, Gervais went on to defend his performance, saying, “I’m sorry if [people] were offended but I’m not sorry for anything I said. They hired me for a job and if they didn’t want me, they shouldn’t have hired me.

“I mustn’t come out there as everyone’s mate and schmooze. That’s nauseating,” he added. “I’ve got to come out there and I’ve got to roast them.”

Glee, Vampire Diaries Lead People’s Choice Award Nominations

The funny man’s Globes encore was watched by almost 17 million total viewers, trouncing all competition in its time period and on par with the awards show’s previous audience.

Comments (34)

• Yes! That just gave me a reason to watch the Golden Globes

Comment by Anders – November 16, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d rather they hired Eddie Izzard. That would be an even better reason to watch.

Comment by Templar – November 16, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Inspired suggestion. Two of my favorite comedians.

Comment by J – November 16, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH HELL YES! Gervais is the best part of these shows- saying what we’re all thinking (e.g. The Tourist was terrible. Angelina knew it. Johnny knew it. Critics knew it. The public knew it. But it was a controversy when he joked about it? That’s just crap).

Comment by Julie – November 16, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s a way to roast people without being disrespectful, which is what Gervais’ whole vibe is. That coupled with diminishing returns on his “funny” makes this a weak choice for me.

Comment by Tucker – November 16, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Didn’t care for his performance last year at all… will skip the awards this year.

Comment by XK – November 17, 2011 12:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last year he just made me uncomfortable.
      I use to think Gervais was hilarious but now he has become just another smug as*hole who isn’t funny.
      I think what Tim Allen said at the the Golden Globe ceremony last year was spot on,Allen said
      “We recall when Ricky Gervais was a slightly chubby but very kind comedian,” to which Allen added: “Neither of which he is now.”

Comment by Laurel – November 17, 2011 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay! I’ll be watching!

Comment by Jack – November 16, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do you like Celebrities? Why does the Godless Cult of Sin and Greed like celebrities?
    The answer is in their policy letters. They state it like this; the masses have a collective IQ that is very low. These masses would rather know about the lives of actors than breathe clean air not full of bull.
    The masses will buy anything that a famous celebrity would buy, join any club, eat anything, dress like and act like that celebrity.
    So, basically the MASSES are out of valance (not themselves or very low in self-respect – and low toned) according to Scientology’s own doctrines. Because, bassically they secretly don’t want to be themselves and need to be another. The Godless Cult view them as putty to be molded as Ronbots. Easy to influence and control.
    But the masses are the bread and butter that walk into the spider’s web when they sign the Billion Year Contract to be their slaves for eternity.
    Too many low toned types walk in and get brain-washed into being obedient RONBOTS, that never have a clue about thinking for themselves. These are the ones sent to kill your dog or break into your house for evidence to blackmail you, in the real life drama called “Fair-Game”.
    So are you the type of person that Scientology wants?
    THE RONBOT HUNTER
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Comment by The Ronbot Hunter – November 16, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Learn to spell, you twit.

Comment by Templar – November 16, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wow. wtf.

Comment by sane person – November 16, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad he’ll be back because I love how he takes the piss out of those stuffed-up celebrities. Bring it on, Ricky!! :-D

Comment by Snapy – November 16, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh hells YES. This will be spectacular! Only person who could do better is Louis C.K. (wanted him for the Oscars) because he gives even fewer f-cks than Ricky. Can’t wait.

Comment by Saint Alicia – November 16, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ricky Gervais used to be so irreverently hilarious, but now he’s basically just irreverent. I don’t mind offensive humor, but it’s got to be humorous. I just hope he remembers the humor this time around.

Comment by kate – November 16, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re the only one who thinks he forgot the humor last time…obviously.

Comment by Rick – November 16, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @rick – actually, i agree with kate. so she’s NOT the only one… obviously.

Comment by ms – November 16, 2011 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Rick – I also didn’t enjoy it at all. I turned him off last time he hosted and won’t watch this time.

Obviously you aren’t aware that people can have a different opinon than you. Imagine that!

Comment by SL – November 17, 2011 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. And smugly irreverent at that. It’s become a very unappealing flavor.

Comment by Tucker – November 16, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I used to think this guy was hilarious before, but now he’s just smug and not funny at all.

Comment by John – November 17, 2011 01:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #Winning! Love love love Ricky.

Comment by Mimi – November 16, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God he is coming back! I thought his last hosting was hilarious! If people can’t take his humor that’s their problem.

Comment by Belinda – November 16, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never watched awards shows, but after hearing about his last time hosting I youtubed it and we were rolling on the ground laughing! I can’t wait till this years! I just hope they don’t make him pull his punches.

Comment by seattlemary – November 16, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s hope Ricky doesn’t screw things up the same way he did last year in order to give NBC much love and ratings.

Comment by kevin – November 16, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sure he was just joking with the tweet, but given that the Penn State scandal is such a controversial issue at the moment, does anyone else wonder if he’ll incorporate it into his material?

Comment by Matt – November 16, 2011 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEAHYEAHYEAHYEAH! I love Ricky Gervais, he’s hilarious. Can’t wait to have him host again.

Comment by Dara – November 16, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s about time the Hollywood Foriegn Press came to their senses!I love Ricky; I loved him hosting this show the last two years; I love that he makes fun of all their pomp and circumstance to their faces. So glad they realized their awards show is so much more worth watching with Ricky there…I will certainly be tuning in!

Comment by Tess – November 16, 2011 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow… can’t wait. he was hilarious last time. and i felt no sympathy for the A listers he joked about. nobody has an problem when comedians joke about BCD listers, but god no! he just made a joke about Tom hanks! how dare he/ puhleese. Those A listersers shoulldn’t take themselves so damn seriously. They can laugh all the way to the bank so just sutsit back and quit taking yourselves so damn seriously ….. repeat repeat repeat. Can’t wait.

Comment by Elaine – November 16, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should totally bring in Karl Pilkington as co-host. He is my hero…

Comment by The Squatch – November 16, 2011 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh hell yes! That would be amazing. Quick, someone start a petition!

Comment by tripoli – November 17, 2011 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for the 2012 Globes. Go Ricky Gervais. Bring on the roasting, who doesn’t love a good snarky comment roasted to perfection.

Comment by ths_smith – November 16, 2011 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad he’s back.

People always tiptoe around celebrities

Like the whole tourist debacle with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp.

It was a horrible movie yet they pick up Noms…

I say let him go for it.

Comment by Sasha – November 17, 2011 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to give credit to the HFPA for going ahead and doing this. I was afraid they wouldn’t. But it’s a brilliant choice if ratings are what they want. The average person at home would much rather listen to a roasting of the rich and famous who are normally tiptoed around and kowtowed to than yet another instance of fawning. The stars may not love it, but they can suck it up; it’s the price of admission to the elite club they belong to.

Comment by Gitano – November 17, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Gitano – November 17, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well, i’ll be watching anyway. Since I’m a TV addict (but don’t really watch movies), the Emmys are my Oscars (which I don’t watch) so I’ll be watching for the TV portion of the Golden Globes.

Comment by Jess – November 17, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post