Ratings: Glee Dips, New Girl Steady and Hope Rises, While CBS Dramas Sweep Night

Get More: News, Ratings

CBS, as almost always, swept Tuesday’s ratings this week, with NCIS besting all comers in both total viewers and in the coveted 18-49 demo. Fox, meanwhile, started the evening out on the down side, but saw its fortunes rise as its line-up unspooled.

Let’s take a look, hour-by-hour:

8 pm | With just under 20 million total viewers and a 4.0 demo rating, NCIS was down just a half of a half of a hair from last week. ABC’s sitcombo of Last Man Standing (9 mil/2.6) and Man Up (6.3 mil/1.7) was flat, while Glee (7.1 mil/2.9) drew a few extra eyeballs but dipped 6 percent in the demo to a season low.

The Biggest Loser, averaging 6.2 mil and a 2.0, shed 16 percent of its demo numbers. 90210 (1.64 mil/0.7) was up 6 percent in viewers to hit a season high, but down 12 percent in the demo.

Michael Slezak’s Glee Recap: Take Your Mashin’… and Make It Happen

9 pm | NCIS: LA (15.02 mil/3.3) eked out a win in total viewers over the Dancing With the Stars results show (14.96 mil/2.8), as both shows held steady week-to-week. Fox’s New Girl was flat at 6.9 mil/3.5, while the Six Million Dollar Man helped lift Raising Hope a few percentage points, to 6.9 million total viewers and a 2.2 rating. Ringer (1.85 mil/0.7) saw an uptick in audience (drawing its biggest crowd since Sept. 27) while holding steady in the demo.

Dancing With the Stars Results: Did the Right Couple Fall Just Short of the Finals?

10 pm | CBS’ Unforgettable, guest-starring series consultant Marilu Henner, drew 11.2 million viewers while scoring a 2.4 rating, on par with its previous outing. Body of Proof (9.84 mil/2.1) saw an 11-percent spike in the demo, while Parenthood (5 mil/1.9) dipped a bit to a season low.

What were you tuned into this Tuesday night?

Comments (53)

• Nine weeks and counting for NCIS. Still improving was PARENTHOOD but ratings continue to go up and down like a roller coaster and I can’t wait for next week’s DWTS finale and I’m rooting for Ricki Lake to win it all. On the other hand, ABC better do it fast to cancel MAN UP this week or the next.

Comment by kevin – November 16, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS was good, but sad to me. I thought they were doing the flashbacks and then we would meet the woman and to find out she died…was a really sad surprise.

Comment by Renee – November 16, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for the spoiler alert…

Comment by Joe – November 16, 2011 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There was actually no spoiler there.

Comment by Cheyenne – November 16, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mark Harmon’s son as young Gibbs was great to see, very eerie way to flashback, looks just like his dad. The story line had so many twists and turns, one of the best but also the saddest NCIS ever.

Comment by Plum – November 16, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I heart Raising Hope so much.

And Covert Affairs was great last night.
    I love when Oded Fehr is on. He makes everything better :)

Comment by Elizabeth – November 16, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree. Love the two of them together!!!! Haven’t seen the episode yet but know I will enjoy it… lol

Comment by jazzyt2u – November 16, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One the plus side the Adele mash up just hit number one on itunes.

Comment by dayecarter – November 16, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee has problems, but it’s such a marked improvement from last season that I’m surprised it hasn’t been steadily increasing week-to-week.

Comment by Dryden – November 16, 2011 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Think people just got fed up, or the shine faded for them. I wouldn’t say the SL’s drastically have improved this season, just consistency to a degree.

Comment by Simon – November 16, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I attribute that to the over exposure of the cast and the show. With the movie-which failed miserably, and all the press the show gets, I think people are tired of hearing about it. And the decline in quality doesn’t help.

Comment by Josh – November 16, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I also feel that the fact that the network keeps preempting it to put on baseball and the X-factor doesn’t help any. I personally think that its just going through a phase and it will bounce back before too long, at least ratings wise. And personally I think over all this seasons been amazing.

Comment by Kyle – November 16, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the other problem that Glee has is…. the storylines have always been a bit out there and that’s cool. But now, it’s just becoming cliched and turning into an extended “Tonight on a very special Punky Brewster”

Things like, Quinn trying to get Beth back… and the whole sue running for congress and being SO over the top with it. There are things election law 0 what can and can’t be said… and Adoption, the world of WRONG taht isn’t being addressed over Quinns attempts to get hBeth back The writers seem to be ignoring the fact that there is a large demographic of kids who MAY be in the Quinn conundrum and could get the wrong idea about how final aduption is!

Comment by Ozzyols – November 16, 2011 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Glee has been in a holding pattern; Mercedes wants more attention, Rachel is having her first time (again), as if they forgot the big Like A Virgin number from season 1, or was it 2? I used to love the show but it hasn’t felt fresh in a while, I might check it out over summer but for now it’s off my sched.

Comment by Plum – November 16, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem is that last weeks First Time was over-hyped. It was good, but things like the strange Artie storyline and the eeeww storyline with Coach Bieste put the breaks on something with the potential to wow. Plus though the ‘love-making’ was sweet, it wasn’t what fans were led to believe after all the ‘hot and sweaty’ comments.

This weeks ep was promoted for the Puck-Shelby SL which most people find another turn-off plus yet another gay storyline. And as fantastic as Naya Rivera is it just feels we are covering similar ground. To paraphase Kurt it is very gay-di-di-gay’…

The fact is that in the key younger market – mostly female for this show- you need a leading man. The show runners always promoted Matthew Morrison as this, but his character is decidedly icky for many. Chord Overstreet isn’t back until episode 7(?) and Cory Monteith was barely featured until episode 5. Blaine as the fey lead doesn’t really fill that role as much as show-runners might have tried to force him on fans. The show keeps pushing in directions that a majority don’t want it to go and with too many moments which defy credibility, even for Glee.

Comment by Sara – November 16, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think the issue is leading man–they already have a young female demographic watching. They’re probably the only ones who are STILL watching at this point, thus the low ratings. It’s the fact they’ve lost the more general audience, and they won’t be getting that back because people are sick to death of hearing about the show. It’s terribly written, characters have no consistency, it’s just a hot mess.

Comment by jb – November 16, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I completely agree, Blaine is just the scape goat that some people like to use for the downfall of glee when the real thing is the horrible writing, a side from TFT Blaine has not have more than 10 mins of screen time per episode, this season, in some not even 5. It´s too inconsistent, whit more than questionable story lines.

Comment by P – November 17, 2011 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MORE people need to be watching Parenthood!!!! Such a great show.

Comment by Serena – November 16, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you on this but next week’s episode maybe one of the most shocking episodes since last season’s love triangle with Crosby, Jasmine and of course GABY.

Comment by kevin – November 16, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New girl was awesome!

Comment by elin – November 16, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • New Girl is by far my favorite new show of the season. This episode was hilarious – I absolutely LOVE Justin Long.

Comment by Name – November 16, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s amazing to see how well the CBS procedurals perform. There must be a lot of unintelligent people in the US.

Comment by see bs – November 16, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And you are obviously the brightest star on this planet to figure that out!!!

Comment by Magnum – November 16, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, this is one intelligent person who watches most of them. So why don’t you keep your unintelligent comment to your crappy self.

Comment by Justin – November 16, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Without stooping so low as to degrade its viewers, I have to agree with your surprise at the success of CBS shows. After seeing CBS show ratings, I’ve tried and tried to watch them – Procedurals, comedies…. I just don’t get it. I’ve never been able to watch a single show on CBS and actually like it. NCIS, Big Bang Theory, HIMYM, etc etc etc…. they’re all ratings juggernauts. I’ve watched a few seasons in total now of NCIS and I have yet to find anything redeeming about it. I’m not saying the shows are crappy, it’s just that I can’t force myself to like them (and I’ve met a lot of people who feel the same way) – and that’s why I’m so surprised they always dominate the ratings.

Comment by S – November 16, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!! Aside from The Good Wife most of the shows on CBS are a bunch of recycled and unfunny trash. I’m always surprised at the high ratings they usually get most of the time. Their shows usually do horribly in DVD sales,internationally,and not even hot in pop culture maybe..TBBT that’s about it.

Comment by LuLu – November 16, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Saying others are unintelligent because of what they watch on TV is unintelligent.

Comment by Carm – November 16, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After 9 years if a series is as popular as ever, its not the audience which are questionable but rather those who don’t watch it….

NCIS is certainly one of the best series currently on air and definitely one of the top series of all time……Just because its a procedural, dont write it off…… there are many who used to do the same and once they started watching reruns on USA they are hooked on it now

Comment by Magnum – November 16, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IMHO the thing that makes NCIS so popular isn’t at all about the crime. It’s about how much people love the cast. They are all so appealing from the front office to the lab. Who doesn’t love Abby, Palmer, Ducky etc? It’s like spending an hour with family you love.

Comment by Templar – November 16, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve got to be honest, I just don’t understand all the love for NCIS. I’ve tried watching it numerous times and to me it’s not all that different than any other procedural drama out right now. It’s not that it’s bad, I just don’t see what is so special about it. For those NCIS lovers, please tell me what makes it so much different/better than other CBS procedurals. I’m not trying to be rude. I’d really like to know what makes people love it so much.

Comment by Debaloo – November 16, 2011 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The people, the interplay between the characters and the jokes are what make it fun. This season has been a bit different, but go back to the early seasons. It has always been just fun to watch. The mystery is completely irrelevant, as far as I am concerned.

Comment by MAS – November 16, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s sort of an aquired taste. I reccomend going to USA when they do the reruns of the first and second season, when they’re developing the characters, and seeing what events made them the way they are. For instance, Ziva coming to the team was a huge emotional blow to the others because she replaced a close friend, etc…You’re starting at the end and missing most of the story!

Comment by Tia – November 16, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Most procedurals are just that. They focus on the event and the aftermath only.

You think about say LA:SVU… They have a crime, the research, catch the crim, grill them, book them or let them go… SOMETIMES character back story will come into it IF the case they are on is something that effects the Detectives etc.

NCIS is different because in addition to do that it also focus’s on the team dynamic and interplay as a whole. Including the elements of their lives that they might WANT to leave from work but often have an annoying way of getting into our working lives.

It’s the difference between someone painting a scene using only primary colours that never mix or blend, vs someone who can blend and mix to give a much deeper and believable version of the tree.

Comment by Ozzyols – November 16, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The relationships of the team members and sometimes the humor. (Humor less evident the last two seasons.)

You have Gibbs a former Marine sniper who lost his wife and daughter while overseas. He’s a badass who takes care of his team/family.

DiNozzo, Ziva, McGee, Abby, Ducky, Jimmy. They all have quirks and some of the episodes have a lot of humor.

NCIS is also very respectful of the military which I appreciate.

Comment by Renee – November 16, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s a safe, mediocre show on the nation’s most widely-broadcast channel (it can be seen in a whopping 98% of US households). Even people without cable boxes can watch it. That’s the reason for its success (along with all other CBS shows). Don’t bother watching it unless you like bland procedurals with predictable plots and two-dimensional characters.

Comment by honestly – November 16, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think I love the show because the characters are like this little dysfunctional family. It is more then solving crimes, it is about their little quirks and how they interact with each other. NCIS also has humor combined with some serious/sad moments.

Comment by Jenni – November 16, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee is good this year, too bad the fans have left the show. I don’t understand Biggest Loser fans: you only need to watch the finale.

Comment by YoGabba – November 16, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ringer is the best show on Tuesday night!!

Comment by Judy – November 16, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving New Girl…last night’s Hanks-giving episode was Great!
    Raising Hope has gotten better and better! Sure hope it is up for some awards – it deserves them!

Comment by ceebee – November 16, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on Glee keeping dropping, the sooner that piece of trash is taken of air the better, awful show

Comment by Dave – November 16, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^ THIS!

Comment by glee hater – November 16, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And why do you care if it’s on or not? You have the power to change the channel. Why don’t you be happy over the shows you enjoy being on and allow others to do the same.

Comment by cc – November 16, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New Girl continues to be the most adorable show on TV. I know some people are pushing for a Nick/Jess pairing, but last night’s show with Justin Long was the cutest episode this season. I also loved the interaction between Schmidt and CC.

Comment by Keith – November 16, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so totally agree

Comment by Name – November 16, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New Girl is so awesome. And yeah I used to like glee but I’m tired so tired of it now, for some reason I haven’t been able to sit through an entire episode once this season.

Comment by Ana Muller – November 16, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS is still running this ish! It’s amazing that in it’s 9th season it’s number one.

Comment by Steph – November 16, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree more people should watch Parenthood. It’s definitely my favorite family style show.

Comment by Keith – November 16, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NEW GIRL WAS HILARIOUS. There’s just something I love so much about this show. Loved seeing Justin Long – I hope he’ll be back. He and Jess were too perfect together! I’m also kind of falling in love with Nick. I don’t want the writers to push him together with Jess, but I just think he’s the cutest. I love his voice.

Comment by Name – November 16, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Ringer holding strong. It’s my fave new show of the season.

Comment by Snapy – November 16, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! oh my gosh yes, that has been Body of Proof highest demo this season, that makes me happy.

Comment by fernando – November 16, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was adjusted down. While Parenthood was adjusted up. Which makes it a tie between the two shows.

Glee, also up a tenth, was even with a two-week before 3.0 rating. Which doesn’t make this week’s mark a complete series-low (instead, it is more to the steady area).

I think TVLine should post updates in posts like these, when the finals make a bit of a difference when compared to the fast nationals.

Comment by Alexandre Leal – November 16, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I got out of the TV habit 20 years ago. There just wasn’t time to follow a series regularly, what with homework and hanging out with my friends.

When I watch, I usually buy or borrow the DVDs and watch shows commercial-free. The last series that I followed in “real-time” was Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and that was around Season 4 or Season 5.

I don’t much like commercials. I know it’s the bread & butter of making television work, but I just don’t like having products pushed in my face, I don’t like scary ads for horror movies that I will NEVER watch voluntarily, and I don’t want my kid begging for sugary cereals and toys he doesn’t need.

So what I usually do is buy the DVDs, and watch shows that way.

My husband and I met in band. While we’re really only community band material, we promised each other we would keep music in our lives. I grew up with musicals (the two I remember most are The Sound of Music and Annie). And our preschooler loves musicals too.

2 years ago, my brother played a Glee CD while driving me to the airport. We had too much going on at the time, what with Mom dying. But this summer we started checking out Glee DVDs from the library. Then my husband bought Seasons 1 & 2.

To say that I actually watched Glee live last Tuesday, is saying something. To say that I’m following the spoilers eagerly and am watching to see how Season 3 unfolds, is saying something. Glee has hooked me like very little else.

I am well aware that one of the reasons is because Glee, much like Knights of the Dinner Table, reminds us of our Indiana roots. But there’s more to it than that.

Comment by Kim – November 17, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy that Glee has been having rating issues. It’s about time that the show starts losing a few pride points. I used to be a fan but now this show is just sad.

Comment by Julie – November 21, 2011 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post