NBC Greenlights Bryan Fuller's Munsters Reboot

Get More: News, Pilots

It’s official: NBC has given the go-ahead to Bryan Fuller’s modern-day reboot of the creepy classic The Munsters!

A Peacock spokesperson confirms that the network has ordered a pilot of what it’s calling an “imaginative reinvention of The Munsters as a visually spectacular one hour drama.”

In an exclusive statement to TVLine, Fuller gushed, “I am over the moon Eddie Munster will soon be howling at.”

This is shaping up to be a busy development season for the Pushing Daisies creator. Last week, NBC gave a script order to Hannibal, Fuller’s one-hour drama based on Mr. Fava Beans himself.

Comments (54)

• As Nancy Kerrigan would say, “Whyyyyyy?”

Comment by LOL – November 16, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why not? I had just been talking with my brother on Sunday (and not having heard anything about this) that they were bringing back The Rifleman (one of his favorite tv shows when he was a kid) and I couldn’t figure out why they chose that series. I said that of all the series to bring back, The Munsters seems like a logical idea, but not if they try to make it the same way as the original (campy comedy.) I like Bryan Fuller and think he’s a good choice. I also like that this is said to be going “darker” than the original. If Buffy was reworked from a pretty bad movie, and BSG updated successfully, why not this?

Comment by darclyte – November 17, 2011 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would be excited, except I know it will eventually get canceled prematurely and break my heart. I still haven’t gotten over Pushing Daisies.

Comment by Leah – November 16, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nor have I

Comment by Crittle – November 16, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Neither has anyone with taste in television.

Comment by Carmichael – November 16, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What’s sad is that they still haven’t done the Pushing Daisies comic book or straight-to-dvd movie.

Comment by Snapy – November 16, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved Pushing Daisies.

Comment by Lisa – November 17, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Long live Pushing Daisies. If the Munsters reboot is 1/2 as good it would still be worth watching.

Comment by Wolfman Jacque – November 17, 2011 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No…….just no…..

Comment by mdbchud – November 16, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the idea of it. Always loved it as a kid but I just have a feeling of flop all over this.

Comment by Joe – November 16, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t molest my childhood after school special. Find something original to write.

Comment by SB – November 16, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This made me LOL.

Comment by Renee – November 16, 2011 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would be very skeptical of this, but Bryan Fuller is awesome. He’s a creative genius. I will give the show a shot, just because of him.

Comment by Ed – November 16, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “drama”????????

Comment by Bob Gassel – November 16, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I was thinking….. this better at least be a Dramedy!

Comment by Brendan – November 17, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No wonder NBC is swirling around the toilet.

Comment by Jim – November 16, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, it’s too bad that they are bothering to hire top notch creative talent when the average and below viewer is stupid, ignorant, and dead inside. They’d be far better off comissioning a show about obese housebuilders that go to tropical islands where they backstab each other for fake lurv, prizes, and maybe a (fake) wedding proposal!

Comment by Tarc – November 16, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t Kristen Bell originally attached to play a cousin in this? I wonder who will replace her?

Comment by Lina – November 16, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only person who could revamp The Munsters and get away with it is a brilliant man like Bryan Fuller. Is it too much to ask that Lee Pace and Anna Friel reunite as Herman and Lily? It would be absolutely perfect casting. He’s tall, she glows. They have the best chemistry.

Comment by Galen – November 16, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lee Pace as Herman is a very good bet. Anna Friel as Lily would be great, but who knows

Comment by Carmichael – November 16, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think anyone can be sure NBC will still be a network next year.

Comment by JJ – November 16, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC, Seriously?

Comment by Eliz – November 16, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will not end well.

Comment by Emgee – November 16, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Brian Fuller’s stuff (Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies)….but this has STINK written all over it.

Comment by Mark – November 16, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As a drama, this show could hot all of the hot buttons today. Supernatural (vampires and werewolves) stories are all the rage. I would have asked Fuller to do Star Trek in primetime, though.

Comment by Tarc – November 16, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s a BSG-style “reimagination.” And if anyone can even attempt to pull this off, it’s Bryan Fuller.

Comment by DryedMangoez – November 16, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, let me understand this … NBC is going to try to remake another show that would be geared to the more nostalgic view. I hate to say that it didn’t work for them with Wonder Woman, it’s most likely not going to work for this. Do get me wrong … I liked the original and Love Brian Fuller … But this isn’t going to work! Also Don’t Bench Community NBC.

Comment by Amanda – November 16, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have just closed a successful run of “The Munsters of the Midway.”

It got a good review in the Chicago Reader.

This is a completely original new Munster thing that was apporved by Eddie Munster (Butch Patrick) gave his approval.

Does anyone know how I can get Bryan Fuller a copy of the script/DVD of my show?

Paul@possibilityplayhouse.com

Comment by Paul Barile – November 16, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It might be good. It’ll definitely be cancelled.
    Or maybe not. NBC’s standards for ratings aren’t exactly high.

Comment by D – November 16, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both projects have “major fail” written all over them. Why not bring back The Addams Family too. Oh, then the Flintstones and Jetsons.

Comment by PJL – November 16, 2011 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shhhhhhhhhhh….

They’ll hear you, and consider it.

Comment by Anna – November 16, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Too late for The Flintstones, Seth McFarlane is bring that back.

Comment by No one – November 16, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love to see a new Addams Family tv series.

Comment by Snapy – November 16, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will probably watch anything by Bryan Fullers because it means wicked awesomeness but it will also means cancelled way too soon, I’m still heartbroken over Pushing Daisies and there’s still a little bitterness about Dead Like Me, even Waterfall had soooo much potentiel. Can we call it the Fullers’ Curse already? lol

Comment by *Muse* – November 16, 2011 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can Kristen Bell please still do this and House of Lies? She is perfect for a surreal, Bryan Fuller gothic fairytale.

Comment by Buddy – November 16, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m still waiting for her to do the Veronica Mars movie.

Comment by Snapy – November 16, 2011 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God help us ! Another remake .
    I don’t even remember the Original, but sounds soo lame

Comment by Suna – November 16, 2011 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm how did the reboot of Bionic Woman go over? Or the reboot of Knight Rider? Or Wonder Woman for that matter? What the hell is wrong with them?!? Yesterday they announce that they’re shelving Community for what? To have two hours of Biggest Loser and two hours of The Voice?! Utter stupidity.

Comment by Kaibosh – November 16, 2011 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree, it being picked up by NBC doesn’t help. They’re just gonna cancel it, prematurely. I still miss PUSHING DAISIES too.

Comment by alvnjsph – November 16, 2011 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’re benching Community, and then coming up with garbage like this?! THIS is why NBC has become a joke.

Comment by Christine – November 17, 2011 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First benching Community now this..?! no wonder NBC is having troubles

Comment by amy – November 17, 2011 12:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh.

Comment by Cee – November 17, 2011 04:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The other networks are developing new shows like Person of Interest, Unforgettable and Revenge. NBC is developing a show about a guy with a bolt in his neck and a guy that eats other guys.

Comment by screech – November 17, 2011 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC get your head out of your ass
    first you bench Community, then you produce a reboot of another unoriginal reboot that you will inevitably cancel
    just NO

Comment by Laura – November 17, 2011 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t NBC realize that reboots of old shows simply don’t work. How much proof do you need. And to make the Munsters a drama?? really??

Comment by jay – November 17, 2011 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Except Hawaii Five-O…that show rocks!!

Comment by jay – November 17, 2011 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m torn. On the one hand, it’s Bryan Fuller and he’s got a way of making the ridiculous magical. On the other hand, the man couldn’t even create a remake of his own show – “Cupid” – without it sucking. Then again, I might not be watching it anyway, since I’m not watching any new shows on NBC until they restore “Community” to its rightful place on the schedule.

Comment by Ashley – November 17, 2011 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rob Thomas, who also created Veronica Mars, was behind the original Cupid as well as the sad do-over without Jeremy Piven and Paula Marshall.

Comment by TigerNightmare – November 17, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fuller did not do “Cupid”. He did Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, & Dead Like Me. All brillant shows imo. I’m glad Munsters got picked up because, come on, Fuller is PERFECT for this show. If anyone could make a fun, funny, strange remake of the Munsters I’m sure he could. Just hope Hannibal doesn’t get picked up. Ugh.

Comment by df2506 – November 17, 2011 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

If Hollywood is that needy for material, I have about a dozen spect scripts I can provide. Let’s make something that the people 40 years form now will want to reboot. If we keep going this way it will reboots of reboots

Comment by Frank – November 17, 2011 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it would be a shame to replace the Munster family I grew up with. Herman, Lily, Grandpa and Eddie are irreplaceable. Lily so Munster beautiful.

Comment by Lisa – November 17, 2011 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m up for an original Munster marathon.

Comment by Lisa – November 17, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No. Just… no.

Comment by Michael – November 17, 2011 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay. Let me get this straight: NBC are finding the money for this unnecessary remake and still benching/probably cancelling COMMUNITY?! Are you serious?

What a joke. Not impressed.

Comment by LC – November 17, 2011 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post