NBC Greenlights Bryan Fuller's Munsters Reboot

It’s official: NBC has given the go-ahead to Bryan Fuller’s modern-day reboot of the creepy classic The Munsters!

A Peacock spokesperson confirms that the network has ordered a pilot of what it’s calling an “imaginative reinvention of The Munsters as a visually spectacular one hour drama.”

In an exclusive statement to TVLine, Fuller gushed, “I am over the moon Eddie Munster will soon be howling at.”

This is shaping up to be a busy development season for the Pushing Daisies creator. Last week, NBC gave a script order to Hannibal, Fuller’s one-hour drama based on Mr. Fava Beans himself.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: News, Pilots

1. LOL says:

As Nancy Kerrigan would say, “Whyyyyyy?”

• darclyte says:

Why not? I had just been talking with my brother on Sunday (and not having heard anything about this) that they were bringing back The Rifleman (one of his favorite tv shows when he was a kid) and I couldn’t figure out why they chose that series. I said that of all the series to bring back, The Munsters seems like a logical idea, but not if they try to make it the same way as the original (campy comedy.) I like Bryan Fuller and think he’s a good choice. I also like that this is said to be going “darker” than the original. If Buffy was reworked from a pretty bad movie, and BSG updated successfully, why not this?

2. Leah says:

I would be excited, except I know it will eventually get canceled prematurely and break my heart. I still haven’t gotten over Pushing Daisies.

3. mdbchud says:

No…….just no…..

4. Joe says:

I like the idea of it. Always loved it as a kid but I just have a feeling of flop all over this.

5. SB says:

Please don’t molest my childhood after school special. Find something original to write.

6. Ed says:

I would be very skeptical of this, but Bryan Fuller is awesome. He’s a creative genius. I will give the show a shot, just because of him.

7. Bob Gassel says:

“drama”????????

8. Jim says:

No wonder NBC is swirling around the toilet.

• Tarc says:

Yeah, it’s too bad that they are bothering to hire top notch creative talent when the average and below viewer is stupid, ignorant, and dead inside. They’d be far better off comissioning a show about obese housebuilders that go to tropical islands where they backstab each other for fake lurv, prizes, and maybe a (fake) wedding proposal!

9. Lina says:

Wasn’t Kristen Bell originally attached to play a cousin in this? I wonder who will replace her?

10. Galen says:

The only person who could revamp The Munsters and get away with it is a brilliant man like Bryan Fuller. Is it too much to ask that Lee Pace and Anna Friel reunite as Herman and Lily? It would be absolutely perfect casting. He’s tall, she glows. They have the best chemistry.

11. JJ says:

I don’t think anyone can be sure NBC will still be a network next year.

12. Eliz says:

NBC, Seriously?

13. Emgee says:

This will not end well.

14. Mark says:

I love Brian Fuller’s stuff (Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies)….but this has STINK written all over it.

• Tarc says:

As a drama, this show could hot all of the hot buttons today. Supernatural (vampires and werewolves) stories are all the rage. I would have asked Fuller to do Star Trek in primetime, though.

15. DryedMangoez says:

I hope it’s a BSG-style “reimagination.” And if anyone can even attempt to pull this off, it’s Bryan Fuller.

16. Amanda says:

Ok, let me understand this … NBC is going to try to remake another show that would be geared to the more nostalgic view. I hate to say that it didn’t work for them with Wonder Woman, it’s most likely not going to work for this. Do get me wrong … I liked the original and Love Brian Fuller … But this isn’t going to work! Also Don’t Bench Community NBC.

17. Paul Barile says:

I have just closed a successful run of “The Munsters of the Midway.”

It got a good review in the Chicago Reader.

This is a completely original new Munster thing that was apporved by Eddie Munster (Butch Patrick) gave his approval.

Does anyone know how I can get Bryan Fuller a copy of the script/DVD of my show?

Paul@possibilityplayhouse.com

18. D says:

It might be good. It’ll definitely be cancelled.
    Or maybe not. NBC’s standards for ratings aren’t exactly high.

19. PJL says:

Both projects have “major fail” written all over them. Why not bring back The Addams Family too. Oh, then the Flintstones and Jetsons.

20. *Muse* says:

I will probably watch anything by Bryan Fullers because it means wicked awesomeness but it will also means cancelled way too soon, I’m still heartbroken over Pushing Daisies and there’s still a little bitterness about Dead Like Me, even Waterfall had soooo much potentiel. Can we call it the Fullers’ Curse already? lol

21. Buddy says:

Can Kristen Bell please still do this and House of Lies? She is perfect for a surreal, Bryan Fuller gothic fairytale.

22. Suna says:

God help us ! Another remake .
    I don’t even remember the Original, but sounds soo lame

23. Kaibosh says:

Umm how did the reboot of Bionic Woman go over? Or the reboot of Knight Rider? Or Wonder Woman for that matter? What the hell is wrong with them?!? Yesterday they announce that they’re shelving Community for what? To have two hours of Biggest Loser and two hours of The Voice?! Utter stupidity.

24. alvnjsph says:

I agree, it being picked up by NBC doesn’t help. They’re just gonna cancel it, prematurely. I still miss PUSHING DAISIES too.

25. Christine says:

They’re benching Community, and then coming up with garbage like this?! THIS is why NBC has become a joke.

26. amy says:

First benching Community now this..?! no wonder NBC is having troubles

27. screech says:

The other networks are developing new shows like Person of Interest, Unforgettable and Revenge. NBC is developing a show about a guy with a bolt in his neck and a guy that eats other guys.

28. Laura says:

NBC get your head out of your ass
    first you bench Community, then you produce a reboot of another unoriginal reboot that you will inevitably cancel
    just NO

29. jay says:

Doesn’t NBC realize that reboots of old shows simply don’t work. How much proof do you need. And to make the Munsters a drama?? really??

30. jay says:

Except Hawaii Five-O…that show rocks!!

31. Ashley says:

I’m torn. On the one hand, it’s Bryan Fuller and he’s got a way of making the ridiculous magical. On the other hand, the man couldn’t even create a remake of his own show – “Cupid” – without it sucking. Then again, I might not be watching it anyway, since I’m not watching any new shows on NBC until they restore “Community” to its rightful place on the schedule.

• TigerNightmare says:

Rob Thomas, who also created Veronica Mars, was behind the original Cupid as well as the sad do-over without Jeremy Piven and Paula Marshall.

32. df2506 says:

Fuller did not do “Cupid”. He did Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, & Dead Like Me. All brillant shows imo. I’m glad Munsters got picked up because, come on, Fuller is PERFECT for this show. If anyone could make a fun, funny, strange remake of the Munsters I’m sure he could. Just hope Hannibal doesn’t get picked up. Ugh.

33. Frank says:

If Hollywood is that needy for material, I have about a dozen spect scripts I can provide. Let’s make something that the people 40 years form now will want to reboot. If we keep going this way it will reboots of reboots

34. Lisa says:

I think it would be a shame to replace the Munster family I grew up with. Herman, Lily, Grandpa and Eddie are irreplaceable. Lily so Munster beautiful.

35. Lisa says:

I’m up for an original Munster marathon.

36. Michael says:

No. Just… no.

37. LC says:

Okay. Let me get this straight: NBC are finding the money for this unnecessary remake and still benching/probably cancelling COMMUNITY?! Are you serious?

What a joke. Not impressed.