Exclusive

True Blood Exclusive: Is This Season 5's Big Bad?

A fresh pile of crazy is making tracks for Bon Temps.

Italian actress Valentina Cervi is joining True Blood‘s upcoming fifth season as a series regular — and her character sounds like the love child of Russell and Maryann.

True Blood Exclusive: Meet [Spoiler]’s Mother!

The 35-year-old beauty will play Salome, an ancient vampire who is a world class seductress and fiercely intelligent. She also has quite a lot of madness in her. She is the most powerful person in every way yet capable of hiding this power when it serves her purposes.

Prediction: Sookie and she will become fast friends… not.

Cervi recently appeared opposite Rufus Sewell in the BBC miniseries Zen.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Sherry says:

It would be so wonderful if Alan Ball and his staff of I-Can’t-Keep-A-Plot-Straight-For-Three-Episodes writers would, by chance, write a woman who isn’t crazy, or a damsel in distress, or a victim, or a victim of a man, or has ridiculous tantrums of jealousy. You know, just once.

• Guess says:

I think it’s AWESOME! I’ve loved every single “bad guy/gal” on True Blood so far, I’m sure she will not be the exception.

• lorna says:

Hated Maryann, eggs, the old witch from last season, russell is ehh. they need to quit adding series regulars for s5.

• J says:

Couldn’t disagree more! I think the villains have been superb actors in superb roles, the best being Russell. Maryann and Marnie were just fantastic. They stand out even more, in my opinion, because I think the rest of the cast does not regularly turn in very good performances (even though I love the show to death.)

• S says:

Yeah, Maryann who went from being a maynad – a creature of myth who enjoys death, destruction, carnage and drink ….to just wanting to get married. Yep. Poor, thousand year old creature of legend, just wanted to get married.

Marnie just wanted to raise her dead bird – which somehow morphed into the need to eradicate vampires even after Antonia was gone. To destroy all vampires after 1 vamp bit her. Way to radicalize.

The actresses themselves are fine. The writers just can’t write a woman who isn’t off the wall bonkers.

• W says:

J,

Perfect response! The regular cast doesn’t seem to act every episode to their full potential. HOWEVER, the “villains” they bring in act their hearts out! Love it.

W

• Tania says:

::Sigh::

• megan says:

the books really are so much better. the show sort off follows the events in the book series ,however ilove that the show doesalot with the v and puts faces to all thenames! there is never a normal women in these books so the show would never cast that lol!

• Karen says:

when does True Blood come back on

• Edd Clarke says:

Why? That’s the fun of the show!!

• Sandi says:

That’s why Arlene is becoming my favorite character in the t.v. series. She’s a little crazy but she has every right to be! Vampires, serial killers, werewolves, witches, and deities, and she’s practically the only “sane human” left. She’s got 3 kids to take care of, works for tips, and can’t rely on that damn Sookie, Lafayette, or even her own boss to show up to work! A woman’s work is never done.

• shaga says:

You write just like her. Awesome! :D

• jess says:

I gotta agree, even though I like the other characters; in a realistic sense, I would be peeved too if everyone including the boss never showed up to help out.

• Jess says:

Arlene’s ok. Unless you’ve read the books. She’s not so sane considering that in the novels she gets sent to prison for helping her boyfriend try to murder Sookie. Let’s hope the show writers steer clear of that particular plot.

• clay says:

That would be boring!

• Caitlin says:

You and me both, sister. The last two seasons were total messes, and the Eric x Sookie x Bill triangle was uninteresting, melodramatic crap.

• Erik says:

Yes women suffer so in Alan Ball’s shows…..

• Kat says:

So what you’re saying is you would like them to cast a boring person who would not fit in to the plot? I mean come on, name a single cast member (man or woman) who is not a victim in some way. Not to mention that it is NORMAL for vampires, especially females, to be a bid crazy! You would be too if you’d lived (dead) for hundreds to thousands of years.

• Tania says:

It would be so wonderful if Sherry and those like her would just once, by chance, would quit complaining about any little thing when it comes to True Blood. You know, just once.

• Peggy says:

Sherry – U mean they should write a boring character? There goes the ratings.

• JLee says:

What about Pam? She’s freakin’ awesome. She’s hot and can kick a**. By far the best female character on True Blood. Sookie should have been this strong, but she keeps relying on others to save her (your “damsel in distress”). Love Pam and Ginger!!!

• S says:

Sadly, one of the things I loved about Pam was that she was a kick ass fighter, smart, sassy, and a friend of Sookie’s.She was strong and independent. Not once did I see that in Season 4. All she did was cry about her face, nearly get Eric killed twice and almost kill Sookie. She can’t do anything without Eric – as evidenced by all her screw ups in season 4.

Sookie has been turned into a damsel in distress. which is a damn shame.

• karind1 says:

that would be Pams regular character

• phil says:

They did write one woman like that: Holly. She was cool under pressure and fun to watch. I’m assuming the witers will destroy her in season 5 though.

2. Parker says:

Waiting Sucks! With the return of Russell this season sounds like it is shaping up to be pretty freaking awesome!

3. Chelle says:

Because this is what True Blood REALLY needs, another character. Come on Mr. Ball, you’re going to “Heroes” True Blood out the door.

• megan says:

READ THE BOOKS! dont compare this show to otherthat are not the same kind. you could stop watching yesterday…and we all stiil would =/

4. Beth Ann says:

She is grotesque!

5. Jimmy says:

“Sookie and she will become fast friends… not.”

Yes, and I’m sure plucky little Sookie will find some way to inexplicably kill this vampire who’s probably lived for thousands of years.

6. TroySchuster says:

Nice…
    Valentina will make for an excellent ancient vamp, esp if she plays up with the Italian accent a little. Wicked – C’mon Season 5~!

I’d like to suggest another, Natalie Dormer for a vamp role… she would make an excellent vamp with those alluring eyes and her exceptionally cheeky smirk she has… (okay I have a crush on this lady can’t get enough)…

7. smalltownboy says:

She deserves the role, she’s beautiful and a very good actress too.. not like that Cagnalis girl you had the “pleasure” to know..

8. Vickie says:

I just wish the storyline was a little closer to the books. I’ve read each book at least 3 times & I get confused because the show doesn’t follow the books. The books are so great, why would you change it so much?!

• Sami says:

I totally agree with you vickie.. The books are great and like you ive read them a few times but i also love the show, i thinks its great that its so different from the books as it keeps us guessing and we are never going to know whats going to happen next.. Altho it would have been nice to see the whole story with eric and sookie in season 4 play out like it did in the book instead of going on about everything else that was happening..

9. Katdance says:

Not too crazy about her, but eeeh whatever. I’ll watch either way.

10. Hooky84 says:

I love how so many people take the time to read this article when they seem to have nothing but disdain for the show and its executive producer. Go watch something else!

• Katdance says:

I loved the show and couldn’t wait till the season started however was dissapointed last season and I for one have changed the channel and found another show (which I’m sadden to say)has taken the place of True Blood. I’ll try to catch the show (True Blood) on on Demand if I get a chance and hope it picks up.

11. Pico-in-the-House says:

Natalie Dormer will be in Game of Thrones next season. But I agree! She did a hell of a job in The Tudors

12. maxine deese says:

This waiting is killing me, Mr. Ball[ could u PLEASE shorten the time span ??… need a TRUE BLOOD fix…

13. Josef says:

Why not cast Candice Cayne http://www.candiscayne.com the transsexual actress from ABC’s Dirty Sexy Money? She’d make a good vampiress with something extra! lol

14. Shaunee says:

I cannot express how much I liked this comment. The Tara character had so mug potential but she just wound up being a whiny and annoying waste of plot. Although, I did love Franklin. He was hilarious in a chaotic taboo sort of way.

15. jeison says:

is she stronger than snookie…>>>>???

16. Jennifer says:

She better not kill Russell, or I will quit watching it for good. Seriously, he dies I’m DONE.

Stop adding more characters, there’s too many as is.

17. Cathy says:

I’m sure she will be fine, but she kinda looks like the chic from that series The Facts of Life. I think her name was “Jo” or something.

18. alondria says:

i agree with vickie. i know the show can’t be *exactly* like the books but it would be nice if they were closer. season one was pretty close and it was the best season so far i think

19. ashley says:

I’m with Vickie! They’ve strayed so far from the books its crazy. There’s so much that has been by passed and can’t go back to, that would have made for such great episodes. :(

20. T Davvis says:

Love the show but loved it even more when it didnt have so many story lines. Please go back to just vampires and maybe shape shifters. Werewolves, Panthers, Ferries, witches …..c’mon!!!! Let it be

21. Stormee says:

Please, enough.
    It wasn’t enough that the series strayed away from the books (even though I love the fact that Lafayette stayed past the first season).
    It wasn’t enough that Mr. Ball has to make every other character gay e>Example, Tara. In the books, she’s not gay or bi but SUDDENLY, in the series, she’s on the other team).
    Now, ANOTHER female who will be enemies with Sookie. An ancient vampire that will, as a previous poster pointed out, Sookie will kill without breaking a sweat.

22. Nate says:

True blood story line is dying. I have lost interest. Last time it came back after waiting so long characters aged and changed so much I did not recognize regulars. I no longer care about Sookie, Bill Eric and any of the numerous characters taking up the True Blood space.
    Bored and Boring dead show. Too much time spent waiting and I am moving on.
    My Humble Opinion

• SalomeVale says:

I loved the books but I too felt VERY ripped off at the last season. I felt as though the show went on without any of us and I spent the first few episodes just trying to catch up. I sadly agree with Nate, I am losing interest as well….

• taim says:

the show has become worse and worse since Ball started to avert from the books even further, and I dono´t want to see now the few bill fans out there to say “oh but the show is not like the books”, stop it it gets annoyiny… at least the side characters in the books were interesting, the weres were not as weak as on the show and Bill doesn´t get shoved down our throates like on the show, he is not even that appealing but because ball sees him as his alter ego he glorifies him to an extent that it ruins the show, so many characters have to suffer because of this, Sookie is unlikable at this point and what they have done to Pam and Eric is also disgusting… it almost looked like clown tears bill had more screen time than sookie in season 4, stop AB, yeah you have a crush on bill but its enough…

23. SalomeVale says:

Hmmm….not sure what Ball is going for here but she is a far cry from enticing.

24. sandy says:

I thought I read somewhere that a new girl will be Eric’s sister..no doubt Godric made her…

• Amanda says:

No that a different character. They do look similar just a 10 year age gap or what not. Too many characters to keep straight, I know!

25. Carrie says:

Who’s Salome??? I don’t remember that person from books….I wish the writers would stay true to the storyline in the books, they can stand by themselves.

I was really looking forward to meeting a tiger this season…..???

• Tatiana says:

Salome was in Dead as a Doornail. Eric called her so she could call him off Tara. I’m really interested to see how AB is going to dilute this storyline.

• Tatiana says:

*so she could call Mickey off Tara. Sorry!

• SalomeVale says:

Salome` was barely a passing mention in the book and as Tatiana said Eric just called her to do him a favor.It was only because I have had the email salomevale for a really long time that I remember the mention of Salome at all.

26. andrea says:

LOVE IT!! cannot wait!! Haters really need to shushes lol

27. nailbitter says:

Rhona Mitra she was great in underworld and the gates. I love true blood and i do like that Alan Ball keeps it fresh and goes out to get fresh faces. Love true blood

28. lizzie says:

I can’t stand the wait either..iam having 2 watch zombies ;-)

29. Irim Sifuentes says:

People need to stop comparing the books to the show! It’s not the same thing. The books are just a base of what Allan Ball (brilliantly) created.

I, personally, am obsessed with the show, I can’t wait for season 5, although I will miss Marnie (Fiona Shaw). She was by far my favorite villain (More misunderstood than evil I reackon). I can’t wait.

• Stormee says:

It took me about two episodes before I realized that she also played Harry Potter’s aunt :)
      Even though there wasn’t any Marnie in the books, Shaw was great as the character. I agree with you >More misunderstood than evil.

30. Petitefurie says:

Michael Fassbender as a bad ass vamp would make a great addition.

31. mike says:

Yayyy i cant wait for season 5

32. Lara says:

Some people really need to get over the fact that the tv series is NOT going to follow the same storyline as the books! If you don’t like the show, then don’t watch it! No one is forcing you to.

• Katdance says:

I agree, and I for one is enjoying Showtime’s line-up. Hopefully True Blood will pick up next season and will try to catch a couple of episodes on demand if I get a chance.

33. Jennifer says:

I have been careful not to read the books beyond whatever season is current, but have any of you read any of them? The series isn’t cannon, of course, but the books are even more highly populated than the series, though I admit that the series is not strict to the books. I think Ball is doing a wonderful job of sticking to the books when he should, and ignoring them when he should. I’m sorry if complex story lines are challenging, but that doesn’t mean the show’s creative team is necessarily at fault….

34. Caitlin says:

I totally agree!! I thought she would at least have a good complexion but I guess that’s what the make up artists are for..

35. krona says:

Not a bad addition.
    Can anyone tell me when the new season premiers.?

36. Caitlin says:

You said it girl!!

37. Prissy says:

I Love the show ….. And the books!… Can’t wait until S5!!!!!

38. Jennifer says:

It’s so predicable now it’s a bit nauseating. My prediction: Russell comes back and decides to harass the Scooby gang and not just kill them one by one like he would do since obviously that wouldn’t work even if it’d be in character. Then when it looks like all hope is lost and Russell has won, he does a victory evil laugh then this thing swoops in, kills Russell, saves Sookie all in the matter of the first two episodes. From then on she somehow reveals she’s going to kill Sookie and be bad. Really? An ancient vampire doesn’t become an ancient by drawing a lot of attention to them self. They would also be the least empathetic to humans since it was so long since she was one, so why she would bother being a villain and not just kill Sookie is beyond me. The idea of Russell dying makes me ill.

39. A says:

Can any of the ppl worshiping the books actually read? Oh my… Books are a disgrace to the English language and literature all together. I am in favor of anything that will make ppl read, but please Mr Bell has taken mediocre writtings & given it life and an actual plot. I have read all the books therefore I have an actual right to speak here. It’s a true waste of time, & neuron killing past time. So please stop bashing the Show, and if you don’t like what’s going on, do not waste your time watching. I am not ashamed to admit I cannot sit down to watch all the crappy, unintelligent so called “reality” & crime television out there, but I also do not go reading their boards, news & then bashing it. So much time wasted in hating, instead please grab a real literary book and perhaps tht will make you less prone to anger.

• anna says:

well said. i too have read every book and watched every episode and loved every word and scene, stop the hating, its by far the best thing on tv. dont watch it if you cant stand the creativity of mr ball

40. Karen says:

I didn’t know vampires could impregnate And if this happened before Russell became a vampire then this ‘love child’ is at least 1000 being as Russell was around that long.

Mr. Ball, me thinks, you are beginning to jump the shark.

• paul says:

russel is actualy over 3000 not 1000. thats erics age

• Jess says:

She’s not an actual “love child” of Russel & Maryanne. It’s a term used to describe the personality of her character. Meaning she’ll be ancient, wise, cunning, seductive, dangerous, & sociopathic. I love all of the books as well as the show. I admit that the show has had its disappointing moments, especially during the 4th season, but I think A.B. has learned what mistakes were made and will give us something to look forward to.

41. Lindsaybelle says:

Should have been Asia Argento! Sexy, smart, and the daughter of Italy’s horror master, Dario Argento.

42. Lit says:

Always in June

43. Dave says:

Well Lindsaybelle, Asia Argento is al off the things u said, but she cannot act. And I’m italian, I saw her in a lot of movies or tv miniseries.
    Valentina is way better as an actress, although I’ve never seen her acting in english.

44. Amanda says:

I think AB is doing a good job with bringing things from later books into earlier seasons so that those of us who have read the book can see some of that fun stuff happen, knowing that the show will not make it to 11 season ( i wish ). Sure there are things I wish they did differently, and characters who I think are portrayed wrong but thats because I’ve reading these books since before they casted the series and I always pictured them differently. I enjoy that there different because I like the shock and suprise when something unexpected happens.

45. chris lagos says:

great books, great show. how about 2 seasons.

46. Dawn says:

people come on…stop complaining thats its not the books! Its BASED on them. Therefore they can change what they want. If its so horrible then why do u watch it!!? Seriously! I absolutely LOVE the show!

47. amy says:

True blood is awesome! Its gonna get even better with the return of Russell!

48. Anastacia says:

What I can’t understand, is why we have to wait 9 months at a time for 12 episodes.We’re all going to be as old as Bill before Mr. Ball goes through the whole book series.

49. Nicki says:

As long as I can see Alexander Skarsgard, naked, I’m a happy girl!! I just wish they wouldn’t slick his hair back.

• Hallie says:

Agreed Nikki! This isn’t Shakespear, but it is highly entertaining. It’s funny and sexy. I mostly watch for the man-candy. So many sexy men, naked most of the time. Not near as many shows to see naked men as women. YumYum! I call Eric my sexy Viking!

• happygirl says: