Glee Recap: Take Your Mashin', and Make It Happen [Updated]

It began with a Van Halen tribute and ended (in grand soap-opera tradition) with a dramatic face-slap. But perhaps most important of all, this week’s installment of Glee contained a couple of truly memorable musical moments that helped raise an important question: Why can’t Ryan Murphy & Co. give us all mashups, all the time?

And while it wasn’t as epic as “The First Time,” it’s safe to say that “Mash Off” did its part to contribute to the overall impression of a revitalized Glee in Season 3. Of course, if you were busy contemplating the musical attributes of banana cream pie and forgot to tune in, allow me to catch you up — in the classic “here’s what you missed on Glee” format:

Worried about the possibility of “World War Glee” between New Directions and the Troubletones, Schue and Shelby proposed a “mash-off” — a battle to create the best mash-up — as a way to foster healthy competition and better prepare for sectionals season. Unfortunately, Santana missed the memo about the kumbaya approach, and began a war of words with Finn — primarily directed at the physique of the football quarterback (aka “Lumps the Clown”). Things got even uglier at the end of a friendly game of dodgeball, with the Troubltones unleashing their fury on Irish exchange student Rory.

At the same time, Sue went negative against Burt Hummel in their battle to win a congressional seat, airing ads suggesting Burt had a baboon heart, a donkey bride, and a tire shop that sexually assaulted automobiles — a not-as-funny-as-it-should-have-been development that once again painted Sue into a caricature corner and made it seem slightly ridiculous when she began acting like a reasonable human being at the end of the episode.

The congressional campaign paralleled the race for senior class president, where Brittany promised “root-beer water fountains and robot teachers,” spread the rumor that Kurt’s face “was used as the template for Hasbro’s successful line of My Little Ponies,” and pledged to go topless on Tuesdays. Kurt, wearing a braided leather turban that made him look like a cross between Norma Desmond and Yasser Arafat, rejected Sue’s advice that winning is all about poo-slinging, and later gave a rousing assembly speech on an anti-bullying platform that sought to ban dodgeball, “the modern equivalent of stoning.” Porcelain’s words were so inspiring, they prompted Rachel to drop out of the race and encourage her classmates to send their votes to her bestie — a move that, thankfully, thawed the frosty tension between the future theater majors. Rachel also shared a sweet moment with Shelby in which her birth mom (with “the pedigree of a national champion show-choir coach”) agreed to write her college recommendation letter.

Speaking of Shelby, Puck continued his aggressively sexualized attempt to forge a romantic relationship with his math sub/adoptive mother of his biological child. Shelby insisted their recent kiss was “a mistake” but Puck countered by insisting “you know this is gonna happen,” and Shelby wound up allowing Puck to visit her home and help her assemble some baby furniture for little Beth. I know the writers kicked off the hour with Puck reminding us that he’s 18, which is past the age of statutory rape, but I hope they don’t try to get us to buy into the dreaminess of this student-teacher romance. If the Schue was on the other foot, and the kiss had happened between Schue and Quinn, we wouldn’t even be having this discussion, would we?

At Shelby’s, Puck came clean about Quinn’s plan to get Child Protective Services to take Beth away from Shelby, and apologized for his role in the scheme. “You were always meant to be her mother,” he cooed. But when Quinn showed up later with a gift for Beth, Shelby revealed that she knew Quinn’s dark intentions and rightfully hissed that the incredibly selfish teen had “no idea what it means to be a mother.” True to wretched form, Quinn said she gave up her child so she’d have a better life, but that Shelby only gave up Rachel back in the day because she was “a cash whore.” Needless to say, that ended Quinn’s plan to join the Troubletones.

And finally, Mercedes asserted her position as head of that increasingly fabulous glee club, and demanded Santana call a truce with Finn (while still acknowledging her friend’s position as a “star member” of the group). Santana agreed to the terms, but her apology to Finn turned into a litany of insults, and Finn finally snapped by suggesting Santana was “a coward” for not publicly admitting her love for Brittany. Somehow, word of the conversation made it beyond the halls of McKinley, and one of Sue’s congressional rivals created an attack ad saying she was not a family values candidate because she allowed a lesbian to rise to the position of Cheerios’ captain. (I won’t even get into the ridiculata that a congressional campaign would even consider outing a teenager as an effective campaign strategy…sometimes you just have to suspend your disbelief to make it through an hour of Glee.) Santana was devastated by the news that she was about to be outed to her family, and after delivering a devastating Adele mashup, slapped Finn across the face for his role in her new crisis. And that’s what you missed on Glee.

Now, with that out of the way, let’s run through the episode’s four best lines of dialogue:

4) “You’re skinny like all the crops failed on your family’s farm failed.” –Rory, unsuccessfully attempting to wade into Santana’s war of words

3) “You guys, hurry up. Go get some wet towels, We have to keep Finn wet before we can roll him back into the sea.” –Santana mocking Finn in front of the Trouble tones

2) “Baboons are dangerous killers who throw their own feces when they’re not tearing off people’s faces or admiring their own weird butts.” –Sue in her ridic attack ad

1) “She sounds like what banana cream pie sounds like when it sings.” –Brittany weighing in on the awesomeness of Adele

And with that, let’s assign some grades for the week’s musical numbers…

“Hot for Teacher,” Puck
I wonder how many kids watching Glee even recognized the homage to Van Halen’s classic 1984 video. Still, while Shelby certainly pulled off the high-school fantasy sequence, there’s always something a little stilted about Mark Salling’s vocal stylings; he just doesn’t read “rock n’ roll” to me. And I also had to downgrade a little for Blaine and Mike Chang’s grotesque “whoopsie, I’m hiding an erection!” dance move that will probably haunt me to my grave. Did Mr. Schue really mean it when he gasped “spectacular!” at the end of the performance?
Musical grade: C+ Relevance to the plot: B

“You and I”/”You and I,” Shelby and Schue
I loved the audacity of mashing up Lady Gaga with an Eddie Rabbit-Crystal Gayle chestnut, and the results had the sheen of ’70s a.m. radio fare. Still, Shelby’s voice was almost too crystal clear for the Gaga half of the composition. Or maybe nothing will ever really live up to Haley Reinhart’s American Idol cover.
Musical grade: B Relevance to the plot: B-

“Hit Me With Your Best Shot”/”One Way Or Another,” Finn and Santana (with New Directions and the Troubletones)
I had to laugh watching those bodies flying across the gym like ’80s action heroes, and that shot of Finn taking a dodgeball to the face was funnier than it should’ve been. Santana’s moments on lead were obviously stronger than Finn’s Auto-Tuned into submission vocals, but that doesn’t mean the number wasn’t a hoot.
Musical grade: B+ Relevance to the plot: A-

“You Make My Dreams”/”I Can’t Go for That,” Finn, Rory, Tina and New Directions
Certainly, the Troubletones beat New Directions in this particular battle, but I loved the frothy, silly spirit of this number, with the guys dressed like Miami Vice extras, Puck and Blaine rocking Oatestaches, and Tina getting a little moment on lead vocals. Too bad we didn’t have a little more “I Can’t Go for That” and a little less “Make My Dreams,” no?
Musical grade: A- Relevance to the plot: A-

“Rumour Has It”/”Someone Like You,” Mercedes, Santana, and the Troubletones
Downloading as soon as I post this recap. I mean, nobody can completely match Adele doing Adele, and yet Naya Rivera and Amber Riley somehow made the sum of this mashup a worthy equal to Adele’s glorious original parts. And those dance moves were pretty fly, too.
Musical grade: A+ Relevance to the plot: A+

What did you think of this week’s Glee? Which plot points made you happy, and which had you looking for a rewrite? What was your favorite musical number? (And is there any alternative to the one that rhymes with “Tumor Has Split/Stun-Gun Strike Two”?) Take our poll below, then hit the comments and argue your points. And for all my Glee recaps and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Britney says:

How is this even a question? Rumour Has It/Someone Like You is the best song Glee has done in a long while. New Direction’s song was an embarrassment, and Hot For Teacher was a hot mess.

• Ashley says:

Totally agree with you. Although I HATE “santana and the trouble tones” they killed it with “rumor has it/someone like you.” the new direction song was crappie.

• jennrae says:

Yes, it was if ND went out of their way to suck. Hall & Oats? Really?

• Matt says:

Hall and Oates wrote great songs, and deserve a place in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but if you’re putting them head-to-head against a group doing an Adele mashup, that’s a recipe for disaster.

Anyone else think the Darryl Hall look kinda worked for Finn, though? (Granted, nobody, even John Oates, should be rocking that moustache, Puck… even if it did make me giggle a bit.)

• Jelly says:

Totally agree about Hall and Oates and their relevance. They could have picked better songs though, or actually mashed up the 2 they chose more. Give me “She’s Gone”, more of “I Can’t go for That”, “Out of Touch”….

• Jessica says:

The Hall & Oates Mashup was great. Two super fun songs by two awesome artists!

• jennrae says:

Whatever you think about Hall & Oats, good or bad, the New Directions number looked amateurish while the Trouble Tones looked like they had put a lot of time into their number, not to mention style. I do buy their act as being Finn’s idea, though. He’s getting doofier by the episode.

• I Heart Slezak says:

If they were going to do Hall & Oates, wouldn’t Maneater have been a logical choice for at least one part of the mashup — I mean, that pretty much describes Santana, both pre- and post – lesbian storyline.

• Agreed says:

I would say that the Troubletones are much better than New Directions ever was. They pick better songs, better costumes, and better dance moves. I like that Tvline grades relevance to plot for the songs. My biggest complaint about Glee is the shoehorning of songs (Poker Face) into episodes just to have them there. Really? Rachel Berry dreamed of singing Poker Face with her long lost mother? C’mon, Glee, get real.

2. Caroline says:

Haha! Is that even a legitimate question?? I second Slezak. Best number of all time. End of story.

3. Carrie says:

Ahh! It’s so hard to pick! This is the first week that I have actually bought any of the songs on iTunes. Mash-ups Rule!

4. Jane says:

The New Directions number was adorable, I love that they had fun with it.

• Puckleberry says:

Yeah, me too. ND had a fun, silly number, which made me very happy. Of course the Adele mash-up was excellent, but I didn’t like all the professional dancers in it. It made it a more serious, more elaborate number that showcased Mercedes’ amazing vocals and Santana’s marvelous performance, sure, but it took away that ragtag, charming fun that Glee can bring.

• Paige says:

Agreed. I thought it was so fun. I really liked it! It’s just hard to compare a fun Hall & Oates mash-up with the emotional Adele mash-up.

5. K says:

Of course Rumour Has It/Someone Like You.. OMG.. Poor Santana though.

• Michael says:

Santana is a bitch. She deserves whatever bad karma she gets. She’s worse than Karofsky.

• Carrie says:

I totally agree, karma will come back to kick you in the rear every time. You can’t treat people like trash and not expect one of them to eventually get sick of it.

• Jett says:

Santana was a HUGE bitch, but NO ONE deserves to have a precious thing like coming out taken from them. I wouldn’t wish that on my greatest enemy. Kids kill themselves over this and this will likely scar Santana for the rest of her life.

• Captain says:

Agreed. Santana is my favourite character (even though she tortures my beloved Finn) but she is a HUGE bitch who treats people like crap (although I secretly love it). That said, no one deserves to be outed like that. It’s a delicate thing that should be handled with care.

• trev says:

Great. Let’s all make her a martyr figure. She should totally get a pass for all the horrible things she done. Her bullying is fierce.

• avenger says:

BTW, kids also kill themselves everyday because they don’t feel safe at school, have had their self-esteem ripped to shreds on a daily basis by b*tches like Santana, and are relentlessly tortured by bullies. So are those kids not scarred? But hey, I’ll leave it to you and guys like you to measure people’s pain.

• BeachBum says:

Didn’t Santana out Kurt to ND in Season 1 and threaten to out Dave in Season 2 if he didn’t go along with her? Karma is a bitch.

• H says:

I guess I don’t really get why it has to be one or the other. They were BOTH wrong. I’m hoping Santana will grow from this and maybe learn a lesson, that her words hurt people too. It was also wrong that Finn outed her. I think they’re both examples of bullying. Santana should have consequences too.

• Michael says:

I agree, but there is only so much that a person can take. Santana has little to no conscience and after putting up with a slew of insults, I expected Finn to break. Ultimately, he was wrong to out her, but these are special circumstances. She’s borderline sociopathic and deserved to be hurt, since she hurts everyone around her without thought.

• riley says:

Actually – Finn outing Santana is not an example of bullying. Bullying is defined as repeatedly physically or verbally harrassing or abisuing someone. Finn said one (obvioulsy hurtful) thing to Santana compared to the numerous mean things she has said to him. Santana is the bully here – Finn just had enough and knew how to get under her skin.

• Everett says:

I wouldn’t call what Finn did outing Santana, at least not intentionally. It’s not like he’s the one that sent it to Sue’s rival. It was a comment, in the heat of the moment, after taking Santana’s crap for far too long. She’s been nothing but vicious to him this season (including taking Brit from ND, which she did only because Santana asked her too knowing it would hurt Finn in particular). Was it right what he said, eh probably not. Did he know what the consequences would be, or even think about them? No. But He didn’t “out” Santana. It was the great “untold” secret of McKinley High, even Santana recognized that. He just vocalized it without thinking.

• sandragalasse says:

I liked the episode. The mash-up of Troubletones was not good. The other songs were very pleasant and even surprising. Santana just felt the consequences of her bad behavior. Finn defended the successive humiliations. Rachel showed maturity when he withdrew the campaign and Puck begins to show the results of metamorphosis teenager.

• Chris says:

Get your ears checked…the Troubletones had the best song Glee has seen since last Season. All the rest of the songs this episode sucked.

• Lauren says:

You’re both wrong. Clearly, the Adele mashup has been wonderfully received and is one of Glee’s best performances. The rest of the performances didn’t “suck.” They may not have been as strong as the Adele mashup, but the episode as a whole worked well.

• Ok.... says:

LOL…Oh wow I must have missed the episodes where she issued death threats and physically assaulted people. Santana is hilarious. She consistently has the funniest lines. It’s not like any of the characters on the show are going home crying over what she’s said unlike some sad people online who are too self righteous and full of themselves to appreciate humor. The other characters say some mean stuff too; Santana just does it better than everyone else.

• Trew says:

Are you serious? Karofsky was not only verbally abusive, he was physically abusive to Kurt and Kurt NEVER considered outing him because he KNEW BETTER. Bullying is one thing (and yes Karofsky and Santana should be punished for bullying), but OUTING someone is entirely different. You can’t even compare the two.

• *lg* says:

Does anyone think that Santana’s bad attitude is rubbing off on Brittany?

6. Christine says:

I guess because the Adele mashup made me cry- literally- that would be my favorite.

7. Kelly says:

I really liked this episode. It did in fact remind me of the “old” Glee, I know some might disagree but just my opinion. There was nice little bits of Sue, that’s how much screen time she needs EVERY episode. Nothing felt rushed and out of time like last weeks episode.

Mercedes is SLOWLY but SURELY working her way to likeablity again. Santana on the other hand has become grating to me and my feelings towards her varied. For instance I didn’t feel sorry for her when she was ragging on Finn in the hallway and he called her out, granted what he said was worse and private, in the moment that happens and Santana was being repeatdly harsh. I also didn’t like Santana’s behavior during dodgeball at all, but felt myself feeling for her when she saw Coach Sue’s tape thingy. Don’t even want to talk about Quinn. Just a shame.

Performances! I liked them all really, Hot for Teacher was forgettable but I will say I liked how all the songs fit the moment and episode perfectly. Favorite performance was the Troubletones mashup, but it completly lost its moment when Santana had her b*tch fit and slapped Finn, I forgot the greatest that just happened on that stage. Ready for ND to become one again. And for the record Hall and Oates is UNTOUCHABLE. No one im the Glee Cast can even touch that.

Glee gives a good episode then makes you wait 2 weeks. TV. Smh. Ready for a Rachel solo that is not a B Way crap track or overproduced pop crap.

8. Monica says:

The Rumor Has It/Someone mashup was the best, however I wouldn’t say its the best number Glee has ever done, no way. But it is in the top five mashups, I still think I Feel Pretty/Unpretty is better. I thought Adele was uncoverable but that performance served her justice. Why oh why would Glee cover anything Hall and Oates? Why? I still liked the cuteness of ND’s performance.

• Chris says:

Uncoverable?? You should check out Youtube…there are some amazing Rolling in the Deep covers. Although no one sounds like Adele…some put their own spin on the song and sound just as amazing. For the record…I’m a HUGE Adele fan.

9. amanda says:

Rumour Has It / Someone Like You is amazing! The first time watching the show! :)

10. karenb says:

Can’t stand Hall and Oates. But glee, as usual, has made me like songs that i normally wouldn’t.

Loved the Hot for Teacher performance. So much energy!! All the guys were great-especially Finn and Puck.

I think this episode was the best one since Grilled Cheesus. So glad Finn is Back. Santana seriously needs to put a sock in it. Girlfriend is way over the top.

11. Bee says:

LOVED the episode. i’ve been loving this season as a whole anyway, but this felt the most like old glee. while others knocked the emotional and dramatic aspect out of the park, this was a hilarious episode also. naya and corey were awesome. lots of great musical performance, but it’s not a contest in the least. RHI/SLY was the best and in my personal top 5 from the show ever. great songs, great mash-up, great (and correct!) cast members singing them, and 10x more powerful in context than just the video before on youtube.

and now no glee for 2 weeks? REALLY? after just 3 episodes? before which we had a 1 month break? UGH.

12. Spencer says:

I actually LOVED this episode. Santanna is phenomenal, line wise and singing-voice wise. Her and Mercedes have the best voices and that Adele mashup was simply beautiful. And of course, the slap heard ’round the world was awesome too

13. Melissa says:

Of course the Adele mashup was the best, but I’m torn between You and I X2 and the dodgeball mashup for second best. The other performances… well, I’m going to just forget they ever happened. And I think it’s time for an internet campaign to start sending Blaine some socks.

• Melissa says:

From one Melissa to another, “Huzzah!”. I was stunned that he wore socks to play dodgeball.

• Perola says:

i second that.

I love Santana. Sh is a bitch, VERY BOTCHY!
      But she is MAGNIFICENT!
      The slap was W-O-W. I loved.
      Finn was, unintentional, the responsible for her secret going out, so, it felt right that she was so mad with hgim, she had a hard time knowing who she was, now she will have to deal of everyone knowing, and she isn’t ready yet. That is painful.

Finn was way too calm and cold when he used the britanny bomb in her, what made me REALLY like him, for the first time since the show began. He’s not the cute good guy anymore, that’s good. Love that side of Finn.

And loved see Coach Silvester taking responsability for hurt someone that hadn’t nothing to do with her campaign!

What are they doing to my dear irish? poor guy…

14. Michelle says:

One of the BEST. EPISODES. EVER.

15. Stephy says:

A lot of people say that santana was mean and I 100% agree with that but, Finn got his payback on something that should have remained private. I do feel sorry for her and Naya Rivera did an amazing job RHI/SLY was the best of the episode and the slap heard around the world was intense

• Lisa says:

Agree with you, and the reality will be that Finn will feel bad once he understands the end result of his comment to Santana, which is she will be outed to the entire population via the ad campaign.

It was nice to see Sue take responsibility for her actions too.

Naya Rivera is fantastic as an actress and regardless of who bitchy she can be, I still really like Santana. I’m interested to see how Santana’s story will play out going forward. She will have to deal with things now regardless of how fair/unfair it was of Finn.

Season 3 is turning out some good storylines, which I prefer over craming in songs with broken, jumpy stories like season 2.

16. Mcgee says:

Great, great episode and the Adele mashup was amazing, but I liked the others as well. Hot for Teacher, but damn did it take me back to watching VH videos back (on MTV) as a kid. The opening was just like the video!

17. Kevin says:

Santana completely deserved getting told off by Finn in the hallway for always being way too mean but she did not deserve getting outted by a campaign aid. Loved the Adele mashup and the scene after it. Rachel was right, she should’ve dropped out of the race when she got the part of Maria. Kurt and Rachel both need things on their NYADA applications and Rachel already the musical lead. I also really liked the acne where Shelby sent Quinn away. I don’t like Quinn but I love the complexity in her character. Great episode, best one of the season in my opinion.

• Lisa says:

perfect response.

• ana says:

Santana may be a bitch but she didn’t deserve that. If he had said that in private, but to do that in front of everybody?
        All she says to Finn is that he is fat, has man boobs and is bad in bed, so WHAT! that is all true.
        But outing her, people actually kill themselves over stuff like this.
        Karosfky bullied Kurt way more and he didnt do that to him, cause that is out of line

• LC says:

I semi-Agree but even then But Finn had no right to say what he said whether it was public or not. No one has the right to tell a gay person when they should come out of the closet, especially from a straight guy who has no clue what it’s like to be closeted and in fear. He should know better with his own step-brother who was bullied over his sexuality and humiliated at prom in front of everyone. It’s WRONG.

• trev says:

So Santana get a free pass for calling people “fat” cause it’s true and doesn’t hurt as bad? Or for physically assaulting Rory and threatening people? And calling out one’s sexuality isn’t “true”? I don’t agree with Finn’s actions in the same way I don’t agree with your logic.

• Random Dude says:

COMPLETELY agree. I am gay myself, and it’s true people commit suicide over being outed or bullied over their sexual orientation. BUT, people also kill themselves over the type of bullying that Santana does to everyone. Finn was pissed and isn’t smart so it makes sense for the writers to have him go there. He will feel bad for the whole world finding out – but at the same time, I can’t help applauding him for giving Santana a piece of her own medicine finally.

• Trew says:

It’s not even remotely the same. She could lose her family because she’s gay. It’s her story to tell, not Finn’s. Who could Finn lose because of Santana’s bullying? You can’t compare bullying to outing someone. They aren’t the same. It doesn’t mean someone shouldn’t suffer repercussions for bullying, but being outed by a straight guy who thinks it’s “ok” because HE thinks “everyone knows” will never be ok.

• Lily says:

Obviously you are not male…One of the easiest way to hurt a man’s ego badly is to say that he is bad in bed …Would you dare to tell your boyfriend or husband bluntly that he is bad in bed ?

• dee says:

How do you know Finn is bad in bed? Have you slept with this fictional character? Sheesh.

• Dana says:

Karofsky didn’t out Kurt because he was already out. I think people who keep acting like he would somehow be above that are grasping at straws. Karofsky threatened to do serious harm to Kurt, you think he honestly wouldn’t have outed him, given the opportunity? Would his moral backbone suddenly have emerged? Come on, these are teenagers with very limited understanding of the ramifications of their immediate actions.

Santana’s a hateful, abusive jerk who has been way out of line with her mouth and scheming for a while (probably the character’s whole life) and it’s situations like this in real life that cause kids to hurt themselves and others all the time.

Finn shouldn’t have done what he did, but it wasn’t an intentional outing. As he said, everyone in the school already knew anyways and how on earth was he to know that it would make it outside of the HS walls? He wasn’t trying to out her, he was telling her she should do it — in an environment where it was already common knowledge. Again, an example of kids not fully understanding their actions. Finn had no malicious intent. Santana’s full intent is to hurt with her words.

• Meg says:

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who caught the line where Finn was under the impression everyone in school already knew about it and that’s why he went there. Be pissed at the girl who told her father.

• Everett says:

Please please please tell me you didn’t just say it’s okay to tease fat people (which Finn most certainly ISN’T) because their fat. Using that logic, it’s okay to make fun of gay people because they’re gay. Glee did the right thing (and I hope they continue it) by not having the teachers blame Finn. They went out of their way to show it wasn’t a purposefully outing.

As for the outing itself, well, it’s a dicey subject. I can’t imagine any politician, no matter how tight or close or mean the race is, take the word of his teenage niece that another teenage girl is gay based on hearsay. Does it progress Santana’s storyline? Yes it does, but if this happened in reality (LOL!) this would never have happened and if it did, would give the victim (because even though I hate what Santana has done and said and may “deserve” [gee do I see a little Finn in me, I think so] she is a victim)

• Maikeru says:

Sorry to all the people that say what Fin said or how he said it was wrong, but seriously all he did was tell the truth. A hard truth, yes, but the truth without insult, venom or hate. All Santana has done has been spitting bile and venom to break Fin down, Fin called her out on why he thought she was so mean, and I think he was absolutely right. The public outing is not Fin’s fault, if anything it is Santana’s fault for being as ruthlessly nasty as she was. I mean even her apology was nothing but insult after insult.

18. Amy says:

Great episode, reminded me of the “old” Glee. Funny and sad. Glee is at its best when doing mash-ups. Rumor Has It/Someone Like You was amazing. And the choeography – New Directions better watch out. Both Santana and Finn went too far. Knew his comment was not going to go unnoticed. They both could use a lesson in the effect our words have on other people. I did feel sorry for Santana by the end. Not for Quinn. She is evil. At least they are consistent with her character being a bitch this season.

19. STW says:

Going against the grain here and voting for “Hit Me With Your Best Shot/One Way or Another” because, while “Rumour/Someone Like You” mashes up two great Adele numbers and sounded great, “Hit Me/One Way” is the mash-up that thematically encapsulated the entire episode “Mash-Off”, from the episode long battle between the two lead vocalists to the competition–both in dodge ball and in song–between the two groups, to the series-long tension between Finn and Santana, to the campaigns between Sue & Burt and the sauce guy and Brittany & Kurt & Rachel and The Stick. It even showed Finn responding to Santana in a way that ended up in “one way” that he didn’t expect landing a blow, and it showed Santana both going over the top in her bullying when she led the girls to physically attack Rory and responding out of her hurt and fear by hitting Finn with her best shot.

The only other song that came close to having the same lyrical relevance in the episode was “Hot for Teacher”, and that was probably the weakest musical performance.

20. LC says:

Adele mash-up all the way. Never seen a better performance on Glee. It was perfection! And the emotion was all over it. Great!

• dan says:

During the Adele mash-up I kept wondering “why did Schue put Mercedes in booty camp?” She moved just as well as Santana, Brittney and the other Troubletones. Everything about that performance was perfect; no overdone staging, costumes, or sets. Just great voices with fun girl-group dance movement.

21. Captain says:

Rumour Has It is the best number they’ve done in a while and the best of the season. This was their best episode all year and kept me thoroughly entertained throughout. So much happened. It was moving AND funny. I also really liked the dodgeball number.

22. Dan says:

“You Make My Dreams” is one of my all-time favourite songs, and I loved the mash-up. The performance itself sucked, and I believe they did it on purpose.

The Adele mash-up was fantastic, and made an unbearable song (“Someone Like You”) part of a fantastic new composition.

23. Jenn says:

Finn had no right to tell Santana when to come out and calling her a coward. Sure she was a bitch, but it was a horrible thing to do. This is coming from a straight person. I’ve seen what happens to people on the news when they are publicly outed and humiliated. Not good things.

• Laura says:

I agree. Santana makes jokes about Finn’s body, which lets be honest is really out of shape, so he outs her to everyone. Dave threatened to kill Kurt, and he never once considered outing him. Finn needs to get crap for this. I hate how the writers always make him a saint.

• lola says:

I don’t see how Finn’s body is really out of shape. Gad, has anybody seen Cory in real life? The man is FINE.

• AGM says:

Wait a minute, did you just say that outing someone is worse than threatening to kill someone? Really? I understand that there’s pain and hurt involved with being outed, but in my personal opinion, I’d rather go through that than have my life threatened on a daily basis, as it was with Kurt.

And Finn is not made out to be a saint; he’s made out to be a flawed teenager who sincerely apologizes for his mistakes once he understands what he’s doing wrong. At least Finn takes the time to self-reflect and realize that he’s wrong. When has Santana accepted that her behavior and bullying is unacceptable?

• Haley says:

No, the point was that when Kurt was bullied he never even considered outing Karofsky, but when Santana bullied Finn it took him less than a week to tell the whole school that she was on the down-low.

What Finn did was thoughtless, not malicious, but it doesn’t mean that it hurt Santana any less.

• Meg says:

Karofsky never threatened to out Kurt because Kurt was already out. That’s not a valid argument.

• Everett says:

I commented on a similar post above, but are you really saying it’s okay to tease and bully (and yes Santana was bullying Finn) if they’re overweight? It’s not okay in ANY situation.

24. ollie says:

I would love it if a poll was made to find out the most hated Glee character. Want to know if Finn or Santana would win it, cause it’ll definetly be one of the two.

25. Maria says:

From these comments you can tell how many people in the world don’t understand what it’s like to be in the closet and how much it can ruin a persons life. It’s sad.

• SO says:

it’s okay to be in the closet and be mean to all around for no other reason then you can be a bitch??!! Listen folks — Santana made a conscience decision to be not just mean but cruel. Sadly, she learned what happens when it gets turned right back on you. Finn spoke in the heat of the moment after being constantly and verbally attacked (which BTW is a form of bullying)and it ended up outing her. What Finn did wasn’t right but it wasn’t anymore wrong then the nastiness spewed by Santana.

• Kate says:

Completely Agree with this, I have been infuriated at the writers for the past two seasons with the logic of because Santana is in the closet and confused its ok for her to be a cruel nasty bullying bitch and then when something is done to her its appalling and homophobic! In reality she would have been expelled a year ago for the way she treats people, I was happy she got a taste of her own medicine with Finn standing up to her but nobody deserves to be outed via a public advertisement, on top of that she had no right to slap Finn, this is coming from someone who dislikes both Finn and Santana!

26. Marc G says:

I think the article should have been about “Glee: What Was Your Favorite Musical Number From ‘Mash Off’ besides Rumour Has It/Someone Like You?” then we would have gotten the clearer picture.

27. Jill says:

Agree that no one should be outed without their permission, Glee has a valuable teaching moment on their hands. It could be good.

Loved the nostalgia factor of Hot for Teacher. Made me smile! But best performance was unequivocally Rumor/Someone.

28. Mcgee says:

Let’s be honest, Finn/Cory is not really out of shape. He’s no Mike or Puck, but he’s not some overweight slob. Not to get off-topic…

29. JVC says:

This was an awesome episode. I was at first skeptical that they would pick rumor has it and someone like you to mash up because it didn’t seem they would go together. But boy was i happy i was wrong, trouble tones KILLED IT!!! Uh Mr. Schue, you should’ve had mercedes and satana lead the pack in season 2 for nationals, you might have placed in top 10. I will say the trouble tones mash up was possibly the best song of season 3 so far. I did enjoy the other songs, but the last one took the cake.

30. mjack says:

I’m a huge gleek and glee fan. But, I have to admit that this episode, like most of this season so far, was a mixed bag. The Adele mash-up was incredible. The other numbers–eh. My biggest and only problem with the show at this point is its lack of consistency. Hopefully, this will improve.

31. Babygate says:

This shouldn’t even be a question. Rumor Has it/Someone like you. The Troubletones killed it! I’m glad that they split up from the New Directions. I always felt like Rachel got all the leads and that didn’t give others the opportunity to shine. It’s great to hear more of Amber and Naya. They are outstanding performers. Naya nailed ‘America’ last week. Rita Moreno should be proud…

• CC says:

So they went from a glee club where two people mostly got the leads to a glee club where two people always get the leads. Doesn’t seem like a different environment.

Where’s the people whining that Brittany and Sugar haven’t gotten the lead yet???? :)

32. niceguy says:

I’m tired of all the trashy plot lines and trash talk and just general mean spirit of “Glee”. I can’t get past how mean all the characters are to each other (finally some healing between Rachel and Kurt!) to enjoy the musical numbers.

Most of the comments here talk about the characters like they’re real people. psh… it’s not real, it written. Because it’s written it makes everything even meaner and more contrived.

I’m done with it.

• Michael says:

Are we expecting everything to be all sunshine and rainbows? I think what makes Glee Glee is the fact that the characters aren’t too nice and I don’t really think they are too mean either. Kids are cruel and while some things may be dramatized a bit, it really isn’t that much. This isn’t High School Musical here. Take a trip back to high school and youll find that kids are naturally mean to each other, even if theyre friends they still say mean things about each other. It’s sickening for sure but I think the presence of Santana’s mean remarks adds a bit of realism to the show.

33. Kat says:

I liked the Adele mash-up best, but the Dodge ball song came in a close second. The ND performance was fun to watch, but nothing I would want to download.

I actually was happy to see Finn tell off Santana. I like her as a character, but let’s be honest, she has been nothing but mean and cruel, so she had it coming. Santana doesn’t mind hitting below the belt and exploiting others insecurities, so she shouldn’t be surprised that others might do the same to her.

HOWEVER, I think there is a huge difference between Finn telling Santana what he thinks of her and an adult, who is running for congress, trying to destroy a teenage girl in order to get more votes. It’s absolutely horrible and she really didn’t deserve that.

34. rdw says:

Well, it was nice to have an episode that didn’t revolve around tired romantic pairings for once. Frankly, it’s always been the friendships in Glee that were the most compelling. So I’m glad Kurt and Rachel have made up. Though I’m sure they’ll find a way to mess that up again shortly.

Santana needs to sit the eff down with her cruelty and bullying, but she didn’t deserve that. No one does. Even if I thought the addition of the “political campaign outing” was over doing it story wise.

Finn… well… not much redeeming him of this. Except maybe that Glee writers chose a convenient time to make those hallway conversations audible to surrounding students.

35. Tiffany says:

The Adele mash-up was my favorite. What I write next is off topic, but I wanted to get other people’s thoughts. As someone who has watched the show from the beginning, I have been wondering what’s been missing. I still can’t put my finger on it completely, but I think it has something to do with trying to bring all the characters to the front. In the beginning you had a hand full of characters as the main ones, as the show has gone on they’ve moved up to like 15 to 20 with varying degrees of story for each one. I think the writers have a hard time flushing out story arcs for all of them. That’s why I think some of the episodes feel disjointed. As for tonight’s episode, it’s wrong for Santana to point out the flaws in other people. ( whether there true or not) Just as it wasn’t right for Finn to lash out in a public hallway with private info. The real rub is that Santana,as a character,has been this way since the beginning. I really think that the characters on the show would have grown more in the last 2 & 1/2 seasons. Thoughts?

• H says:

I still love Glee, but I agree with this. Especially about Santana. I know they don’t focus on her a ton and she started out as a one-liner, but she’s a main character now and I really want to see her grow more. I want her to realize what she says and how it hurts people. Hopefully after what happened to her she can reflect and grow, but that’s up to the writers.

36. Lisa says:

Hot for teacher was fun! Finn rocking out on the drums! Blaine❤ and Mike dancing crazy and their hand gestures over their crotches was funny and HOT!

37. Chris says:

Honestly…I think they could have handled Santana getting outed a little different. The fact that it ended up in a state campaign was just hurtful, stupid, and highly unlikely. Poor Finn was made a scapegoat for making a hurtful statement in an argument.

38. lau says:

Rumor Has It/Someone Like You was the best number hands down.
    Can we talk about how well acted this episode was? Specially Naya Rivera and Cory Monteith. It’s time both of them get much more recognition, all of their scenes together were perfect. They both have so much talent.
    Also Santana scene with Sue, Burt and Will was amazing.
    In my opinion, this was one of the best episodes acting wise on glee. It’s a long shot, but this episode could bring some award love back to glee and specially to Naya and Cory

39. CA says:

There is no doubt in my mind that Ryan Murphy and company purposely situated Santana’s outing to create the controversy and debate that is currently underway by these postings. Here you have a character, who describes herself as a “straight up bitch”, who has treated those around her with contempt and nastiness. She starts up an anti bullying group but only because she has an ends to a means that will benefit her and yet continues to bully those around her, especially after she didn’t when Prom Queen. Let’s be honest, Santana is not a nice person…but did she deserved to be outed in the way that she was. Of course not. Coming out is a personal decision and only that person should get to the choose the time and place to make the announcement. That being said — no one can deny that she isn’t a nice person, espeically toward Finn. I think another poster mentioned that Finn’s outing of Sanatan came, not as a deliberate action to do so, but as a result of being bullied one to many times. I don’t think either one are in the right nor in the wrong. Santana experienced the great Krappy Karma Kredit plan — and Finn will likely deal with the regret of having said what he did.

As for the mash up — as much as I loved Rumor Has It/Somebody Like You — it felt overly staged to me. Soundwise fantastic just visually stunted. In fact, for me, all of the songs worked for me in this episode.

40. anom says:

41. anom says:

please Michael Slezak, say something about Naya and Cory’s acting in this episode, they deserve some sort of recognition for this episode, they were brilliant, specially Naya.

42. anom says:

didn’t want to post the same thing twice sorry

43. Ashley says:

When did Glee get so mean?
    All it is is nasty comments from literally everyone. The characters and the fans.

The reason this season feels so “disjointed” as many have mentioned is due to the uneven writing of the characters most obviously Santana. After making her an apathetic character at the end of Season 2 the writers are struggling to find a way to bring her back to an unlikeable character. It’s glaringly obvious.

The whole scene in which she reamed Finn out for a straight two minutes was WAY out of character. Santana, even with provoke, is more of a two or three jab and walk away girl. So why would she stand there and throw them out one after the other?

I’m not even going to get discuss who was in the wrong as far as Santana/Finn because people have too many personal feelings invested in it which make it pointless to discuss.

44. Ozzyols says:

It’s interesting to see everyone saying “good things” about Santana when she is not only equal but far surpasses anything that Karofsky did to Kurt last season. She is by far the more insidious bully of the school and always has been, but because she does it by words and innuendo it will be looked on as the lesser of two evils.

Plus… please – why didn’t Shelby just take Quinn to task in relationship to who would get Beth if Shelby was deemed “unfit?” In an adoption (even and open one where the birth parents are invited into the childs life) if something happens to the adoptive parents the kid DOESN’T go back to the birth parents. They waived all those rights when they signed the papers. The only way it would happen is if the birth folk were named as legal guardians in the case of something happening to the adoptive ones…

Glee hasn’t caught up with the Fonz and jumped the shark yet… but it’s certainly lining up on the start line!

• sunny says:

I totally agree with you about Santana. Her verbal attack made me want my mommy, it was was an all out assault on Finn, but the Glee writers played it for laughs.

They did the same thing lasr year with Sue, where she physically assaulting anyone who got in her way as she raged through the hallways of the school. Again played for laughs.

• Kacey says:

Glee is a black comedy. Watch the pilot episode if you’re confused. It ALWAYS has been just like every other RM show. If you can’t handle black comedies, then Glee isn’t the show for you.

45. R says:

The Hall and Oates debacle was almost worth it for Darren Criss’ mustache.

46. Caroline says:

Oh Slezak, how I love the reference you snuck in here about Haley. I agree though, Haley does You and I better than Gaga does.

47. Zatana says:

Nothing will ever live up to the horrendousness of Haley Reinhart’s American Idol cover. I mean, head tilted to one side, giant 80’s hair, all horse teeth bared and singing like a drunken prostitute – certainly you can’t top that. Anyway, why does Santana look like she’s had too much collagen/botox injected to her face? She looks like a drag queen.

• Lily says:

^LOL. Thank you. I don’t necessarily agree with the assessment of their looks but I can’t describe how little I enjoyed Haley’s You and I, especially compared to other ones I’ve heard. Over the Haley conspiracy/crazed fans.

48. Marcus says:

The Adele mashup was the best moment of season three. The rest of the episode was a clusterfck.

49. Kate says:

50. Captain says:

I honestly find it hard to believe anyone liked The First Time more than this episode. Mash-Off was perfectly paced, a lot happened and it was entertaining as hell. The First Time was an hour build-up to two couples having sex. I’m a huge Finchel fan and I liked the episode but Mash-Off was the best episode they’ve done this season.