New Girl Boss Puts the Kibosh — For Now — on One Adorkable Romance

Get More: Interviews, Scoop

New Girl‘s obviously made-for-each other twosome, Jess and Nick, will probably be “married by the end of Season 1,” says showrunner Liz Meriwether. “It’s going to go fast and furious.”

Although Meriwether is clearly kidding about the wedding, that doesn’t mean there’s no hope for the hit Fox comedy’s predestined pairing. There just isn’t any hope right now.

New Girl Scoop: Meet Jess’ Lesbian Doctor Friend

Jess and Nick, played by Zooey Deschanel and Jake M. Johnson, “are coming out of relationships that didn’t go that well,” Meriwether explains, “so they’re not at the perfect time in their lives to be together. It’s actually more important [at the moment] that their friendship blossoms.”

Some of you may then wonder why, if these two roomies aren’t headed for a hook-up, the Powers That Be at New Girl (Tuesdays at 9/8c) just last week had Jess and Nick share that adorable tooth-brushing moment. “This is why we did [that],” Meriwether reveals with a laugh, “to address that [there is chemistry], but say that it’s not really happening right now.

“The show is about male/female friendship, more than it is about [romance],” she continues. “It’s about Jess learning how to be friends with these guys and the guys accepting Jess into their world as well. That’s the most important thing.”

New Girl Exclusive: Meet Winston’s [Spoiler]!

Meriwether of course notes that Nick and Jess — like their portrayers — have “great chemistry” and “of all the characters are the two that fit together the best,” but — and it’s a big one, ‘shippers — “they have a while to go emotionally before they’re going to be at that place… But who knows!”

Are you hoping for a Nick/Jess love story sooner rather than later? Or do you like the waiting game?

Comments (92)

• I love these two, right of the bat they had great chemistry and just make a really cute pairing. I am however in no rush to see them get together straight away, what she says about the show focusing on friendship etc makes sense. I do hope though we still get to see some sweet moments between them & that maybe somewhere down the line, in a later season, they might become something more.

Comment by C – November 18, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i also do like to see more sweet moments!! though im also not rushing for them to be together.. :D

Comment by aprilnewgirlfanatic – November 18, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TEAM NICK HERE!!!!! jess is quite childish while nick is to serious they balance each other!! opposite do attract.. jess and schmidt nahhhhhh sounds boring to me…

Comment by aprilnewgirlfanatic – November 18, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • p.s. i really hope nick gets jealous heheh more on romantic scenes please :D

Comment by aprilnewgirlfanatic – November 18, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh my god they should be together! :D

Comment by Erika – November 21, 2011 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they don’t make me wait 5 years like her sister’s show, I’m okay with them staying friends.

Comment by Rachel – November 22, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL it is written in the stars as they say…Nick & Jess are undeniable since that first episode! Nick encouraging Jess to stand to her ex was what made me realise ..they are so made for each other!

But I agree a build up is way better than a quick romance that will surely kill the great buzz this show has. Where has Jake Johnson been??? Very cute guy;) ..oh yes their toothbrushing scene reminded so much of that great scene from “Bring it On” where Jesse Bradford & Kirsten Dunst does the flirt while brushing their teeth….Oh yes, JJ reminds me a bit of Jesse Bradford.

Comment by ashipper – November 23, 2011 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I personally think Nick and Jess should take things slow (just like they are) because its more romantic. And I love that it’s sweet but it super funny at the same time. Especially Jess and Schmidt. His the funniest. I hope to see CeCe fall for Schmidt later but LATER on. Because then it wouldn’t be as funny I think. But well its a really good show so will see!

Comment by Valeria – November 23, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see Jess and Nick eventually get together, but I do agree that neither character is in the right place for yet. I hope none of their other boyfriends/girlfriends stay too long though. Drama in a sit com is always painful.

Comment by Summer – December 10, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is WAY too early in the shows run for the writers to be forcing pairings on us- if Jess and Nick were to get together in the first season I could guarantee they would not be together by the series’ end. I loved their chemistry but stopped loving it when the writers became aware of it and made it obvious to us (aka the direction of Nick’s shoes).

Also I may be a minority here but I REALLY don’t like Schmidt- he comes across as a one dimensional character we see on TV countless times and who scores laughs via his own humiliation. That isn’t the kind of humour I like about this show- and it is a VERY funny show.

I think the writers need to back up and bring in some love interests who could ACTUALLY work as long term characters (Paul was sweet but still nothing more than filler for Nick’s envy). When Daniel and Betty got together at the end of Ugly Betty, the audience were legitimately surprised- that’s how it should be here too.

Comment by Jermzy – December 31, 2011 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can anyone tell me what episode that picture at the top with jess holding the bowtie noodle to nick’s chest is from?

Comment by Ally moon – January 23, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post