New Girl Boss Puts the Kibosh -- For Now -- on One Adorkable Romance

New Girl‘s obviously made-for-each other twosome, Jess and Nick, will probably be “married by the end of Season 1,” says showrunner Liz Meriwether. “It’s going to go fast and furious.”

Although Meriwether is clearly kidding about the wedding, that doesn’t mean there’s no hope for the hit Fox comedy’s predestined pairing. There just isn’t any hope right now.

New Girl Scoop: Meet Jess’ Lesbian Doctor Friend

Jess and Nick, played by Zooey Deschanel and Jake M. Johnson, “are coming out of relationships that didn’t go that well,” Meriwether explains, “so they’re not at the perfect time in their lives to be together. It’s actually more important [at the moment] that their friendship blossoms.”

Some of you may then wonder why, if these two roomies aren’t headed for a hook-up, the Powers That Be at New Girl (Tuesdays at 9/8c) just last week had Jess and Nick share that adorable tooth-brushing moment. “This is why we did [that],” Meriwether reveals with a laugh, “to address that [there is chemistry], but say that it’s not really happening right now.

“The show is about male/female friendship, more than it is about [romance],” she continues. “It’s about Jess learning how to be friends with these guys and the guys accepting Jess into their world as well. That’s the most important thing.”

New Girl Exclusive: Meet Winston’s [Spoiler]!

Meriwether of course notes that Nick and Jess — like their portrayers — have “great chemistry” and “of all the characters are the two that fit together the best,” but — and it’s a big one, ‘shippers — “they have a while to go emotionally before they’re going to be at that place… But who knows!”

Are you hoping for a Nick/Jess love story sooner rather than later? Or do you like the waiting game?

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Scoop

1. beresford says:

I am with the showrunners on this! On the long run, I would like to see it happen as they are really good together, but for now, the show is about Jess living with the guys and the guys living with Jess, a romance with one of them at this point would ruin the idea I think!

• Matthew Thomas says:

I would prefer if Jess never hooked up with any of her housemates. Have tv writers ever heard of platonic relationships at all? Men and women can be just friends you know?

• Cindy says:

THANK YOU!! Took the words outta my mouth!

• HarveyTheComputer says:

Yes for men and women to be friends but come on. Be serious.
        Nick and Jess have awesome chemistry, and judging just about what happened in the first 5 episodes, they will be be one day more than friends. Not now, but later, REALLY later. Friendship must come before love anyways.
        Also, a will they/won’t they type of relationship attracts a LOT of viewers. Female viewers. I’m not saying it’s a good thing, I’m just stating the facts.

It would ruin the show to put other relationships like Schmidt/Jess… Also Schmidt/Cece is kinda too much for me.

• Desiree says:

boooooo… : )

• Wendy S says:

Well I for one have found that NOT to be true (platonic relationships), unless it is a co-worker or the guy is gay; and even then it is hard to remain friends for long before everything falls apart.

• this comment is idiotic, of course they have heard of platonic relationships, hence the one she has with schmidt and winston, it was made obvious that nick and jess will end up together in the episode where she breaks up with the rich guy because of his “passion” with his ex wife, right after that nick and jess have an argument and its obvious that she feels that passion with him. If their relationship stayed platonic that would ruin the whole show, it is obviously made for them to end up together. Matthew your comment is ridiculous and stupid.

2. Izzy says:

I would prefer to see Jess/Schmidt.

3. Dominique says:

Wise move. I was afraid they were forcing the romance on the audience, but if they’re going to give it time to develop, all the better.

4. beresford says:

I think Schmidt is the funniest thing in the show, tie him down with Jess or anyone would bring down his funny potential I think

5. Ann says:

These two are so freakin cute! Chemistry that sizzles, too!

6. Nancy says:

I’ve fallen hard for the 2 of them already, but of course the leading up to a relationship and the little “Ohmygosh, they’re so cute! They have to get together!” moments are the best.

7. Jake says:

I loved Jess with Nick! He’s so adorable!

8. Lindsey says:

I don’t think it’s THAT obvious. I actually would almost rather see her with Schmidt.

• Lauren says:

I remember when I saw the promo for it I thought it was going to go with Schmidt/Jess because they had her in the dress and then a close-up of his face freaking out. But then they seemed to go with Nick/Jess. I don’t really care, I like them both, but I’m quite glad they aren’t going to move it into a romantic comedy, I like the friendships better.

• jamie says:

I like Schmidt and Jess as friends. To me they’re more brother/sister than a romantic pairing. I’d kind of like to see Cee Cee fall for Schmidt.

9. sara says:

Draw it out and then keep them together. None of the on again, off again nonsense that happens in other shows. I want them to be a Chandler and Monica, not a Ross and Rachel.

10. Aprilcot26 says:

I would love to eventually see a Jess/Nick pairing. Their chemistry is undeniable, but I don’t want to feel like the relationship was forced on the audience (I’m looking at you, Big Bang Theory).

11. Saracen Riggins says:

I love the two together, but that makes me all the more glad that they’ll draw it out. The pinning is the best part ;)

12. zaza says:

I like the idea of Jess and Nick together, but I am totally okay with the writers taking their time to pair them up. I hate movies where people meet, know each other a few days and then decide they love each other enough to marry. Much more realistic to have them recover from their break-ups, develop a friendship and let that friendship eventually turn into love. So long as they don’t manufacture stupid obstacles for the sole purpose of keeping them apart when they are ready to be together.

13. Pam says:

These two are the best thing* about the show, imo. *Up until last week, that is, when I was LOLing at all of the characters.

14. Lene says:

I think they should take their time with it. I want them to be together of course – I would love them together, they are adorable! But I think they should make us wait for it :)

15. lacey says:

I do think they’re cute together and down the road I would like to see them together. I’m ok with them developing more of a friendship before they jump into a relationship b/c I don’t want to suffer through the on again off again like in other shows. Although I will be pissed if the writers drag this out like the Bones writers.

• MelindaB says:

Exactly. I don’t demand instant gratification, but constant see-sawing is a huge frustration. Let it develop naturally, let their friendship develop first, but don’t dance back and forth with it until viewers give up caring. I am not one to insist that there be a couple on every show that I watch, but I don’t like it when the showrunners capitalize on chemistry and then go nowhere with it and piddle it away.

16. RAGGEDT says:

So, despite the obvious teasing along the way, a Nick and Schmidt thing is not in the cards? ;-)

17. Amy says:

I definitely want them together, but I agree, not right now.

18. Louise says:

I could see those two were made for each other in the pilot so I’m glad they have adressed it but agreed they shouldn’t get together right now but a few little scenes with hints in here and there never hurt anyone :-)

19. Cloudy Knight says:

I wonder if the “great chemistry” between the actors conributed at all to Zoey’s recent marital problems.

• Charlene says:

I have been wondering this exact thing since I heard about the divorce… Makes you wonder why. Is she hooking up with one of her co-stars? Does he not like her sudden jump to success? There is more to the story! You just know it!

20. Pepper says:

They can take their time but def would like to see a Nick/Jess pairing. So obvious these 2 have the best chemistry together and are so cute on screen together. In fact, I sometimes FF through other scenes that don’t have them in it together.

21. Olivia says:

I am SO glad the show runner has a better head for relationships than the fandom. Nick/Jess is not a necessity, and especially not- as she pointed out- right after they both got out of long relationships. They are great as roommates and friends and I would rather see them get used to living life as single people than jump into an awkward rebound relationship that ruins the dynamic of the entire show.

22. christin says:

I would like to see jess with schimnt more than jest and nick! that’s beacuse right now a sharacter like schimt seems that won’t have a character development because those characters are only used to make the series funny!but having hilm getting it on with jess they can develop both sch,imt’s and jess’ characters!come on you can develop nick with thousands ways and it will be obvious but a character like schmint need to be developed and get mature because he find someone!schmint is like joey from friend!and joey never had a character development because apparently the writers only wanted him to make the show more funny!don’t get me wrong,friend is my #1 tv show ever and joey my #2 fave character (i always looooooooved rachel soooo much) but joey did not had any development.from season 1 to season 10 he was just the same…now imagine joey ending up with monica instead of chadler!joye would be sooooo more mature…althou i love that chadler and monica ended up together i would like to see rachel and joye anding up tohether too!

23. karenb says:

I think is show is so well-written. It never fails to crack me up. Nick and Jess have so much chemistry, but I could wait (a little bit) for them to get together. Am I the one one, though, that misses Dayman Wayans,Jr.? I thought the first episode with him was sooo funny!

• Amber says:

I miss him too. I guess he, like the rest of us, thought Happy Endings wouldn’t be renewed. He’s great on that show, but he was perfect on New Girl. The other guy does well as a replacement, but it’s hard to top any Wayans.

• zaza says:

I miss Coach too. But Winston is growing on me. He has just enough crazy to be a good counterpart to Schmidt.

• Alphonse says:

I miss him, too! I liked his character on NG much better than on HE, although I do like that show, too. Winston is growing on me but I think the show would be a bigger hit with Damon.

24. Amber says:

I’m glad they are taking it slow. I’d like to see their friendship and occasional ‘aw, they’re made for each other moments’ grow for at least a couple of seasons before they even acknowledge they have feelings for each other.

25. Ed says:

Why not Jess and Winston?! :)

26. Beth says:

I love Jess and Nick’s chemistry, but I figured it was way too soon to put them together. This show is going to let the emotional and sexual tension escalate so that it will be all that much more meaningful when they really do get together. Watching their friendship blossom is fun, and I’m really looking forward to more of it. The show is hilarious, and their relationship is great. Visit http://www.tvmovielove.com to read more of my thoughts on ‘New Girl’ and other shows.

27. d says:

to be honest…when Nick and Jess were in the photo booth at that wedding, I immediately thought he was going to fall for her. so I’m all for it. anytime (so far) that Jess has been in an embarrassing situation, he’s the first to step up to make her feel better. a little bit of his jealousy was seeping out in the Thanksgiving episode. they’re so cute together, and different from each other. it makes sense. “good things are worth waiting for.”

28. Danielle says:

Tthe waiting game

29. debra venosky says:

I think right now they should stay friends. Going slow is the smart way.

30. Jduncan says:

I love seeing them in this awkward tango they have going on. For now its fun but I would love to see them fall for eachother wayyyy later in the show…

31. Megan says:

I’m all for the waiting game as long as we keep getting cute scenes that show their blossoming friendship!Getting together now would be too soon.

32. ITF says:

Yeah, Jess and Nick are cute together but not now. That will ruin the show. I like it the way it is now, just friends and their relationships. Haha, please don’t ruin it by making it more about romance.

33. Erik says:

I love the idea of these two together. And I personally think that Schmidt is really a gay man trying to play out he roles of male masculinity portrayed by society and the media. :) GO JESS AND NICK!!

34. Dottydaga says:

yes I am in team Jess/Nick as well… i never thought thou that would be some supporters for Jess/Schmith!?…hahah thats great it would be funny, but reality is that the chemestry flows so natural between Jess+Nick that i have to support that one :) I really liked Schmith’s crazy frustration with food and Cece being all crazy on him i love it! hahaha i laughed so much!! * – I would also wait happily to see friendships blossom and then later see how they might fall for eachother :)

35. Mikaela says:

I am so crossing my fingers for Jess and Nick! I cannot wait for the next episode!

36. Kate says:

I love this show! And I can only say this because this is an anonymous comment, but so does my “I’m so tough, I like stressful TV” boyfriend. I know I have to wait for Jess and Nick to happen, but when they do, like, a few years from now, it’s going to be worth the wait. Also, props to the writers and the actors playing the other roomies. I was laughing so hard through the whole 27 Hours Cece thing that it hurt.

37. Sarah says:

I see Jess more as a sister to the guys in a way. Don’t mess up the funny vibe with weird romantic moments!

38. Liz mullen says:

I love the two if them together and I want the friendship to grow for a long time. It is special right now just the way it is between them. Years from now, they will be ready for the romance.

39. Alessanda says:

I really want nick and Jess to get together eventually. But right now I’m really enjoying the awkward love tension between the two. I think it’s so cute and they really do make a cute couple. (:

40. Alessanda says:

41. Ashley says:

I’m excited for them but I can wait—as long as they work that chemistry in little by little :)

42. Jean says:

I like Jess and Paul(Justin Long)!!! Please keep him around for awhile!!

43. KristaF says:

I’m glad the producers are putting off the romance for a while. They do make a GREAT pair, and the chemistry definitely adds something to the dynamic of the show…but to see them together by the end of this season would be too fast. :)

44. Katy says:

I also agree with the decision. It’s like the office. They drew that Pam and Jim thing out sooooooo long, but when they finally got together I kinda lost interest in the show. Was happy that they were together FINALLY, but still. New girl is my FAVORITE new show! I hope it lasts even longer than the office!!!

45. Marlene says:

It’s so obvious that Nick & Jess have chemistry together. Maybe Nick didn’t take well to Jess at the beginning but I think it’s starting to rub off on him. It reminds me a lot of me and my ex boyfriend. I was like Jess–always acting silly and just being this wild, spontaneous goofy girl and my ex was a lot like Nick. He came off as being serious but he could also be fun and daring too. It’s one of the reasons I love the chemistry they have and why I think they’d make a perfect couple because even thought they’re complete opposites, they balance each other out so well. Anyways, I’m rambling, but I can’t wait to start seeing their friendship grow to what will eventually (meaning far, FAR long from now) become a great relationship.

46. Belinda says:

I agree, these two have great chemistry as do all of the cast with Zoey & I do see the cute moments between them but I also understand the show runners idea that they both arent at a point in their lives where they would want to be in a relationship, and thats fine by me grow their characters first before you start plotting out anything like that. Their characters need time to recover from their breakups. But hey isnt it fun watching them grow closer? Nick is always the first to reach out to Jess of all the room mates and Schmidt is just a freakishly weird awkward good hearted guy and thats a good thing.
    I love this show is so awkward its hilarious!!

47. Caytlynjamed says:

YES YES YES!!! I would love Jess and Schmidt to be together someday, they are both two different kinds of a random mess, it would be great!

48. Dougie says:

Jess and Nick as a couple might work for next season. Give it some time. Schmidt and Cece looks interesting.

49. Dougie says:

Jess and Paul were cute together in a strange way. They’re mirror images of each other.

50. Whitney says:

Does anyone else not feel as though the Jess/Nick and Schmidt/Cece is too much too fast? Despite the fact that neither pairing is actually dating right now, I feel like there’s so much forced romantic tension that it’s not believable. The show has barely begun; I don’t want to feel manipulated into “liking” certain pairings.
    Also, after the past couple of episodes, I’ve found Nick to be really patronizing and rude towards Jess, which is making me wonder why there would be any sexual tension between the two. Paul was actually really kind overall, and Nick kind of came off as a big jerk, even if it was supposed to come off as this weird, semi-hidden affection for Jess.
    I also agree with others promoting a possible serious relationship for Schmidt (in the distant future). He has a lot of potential for character development. He shouldn’t be the flat womanizer forever (although he is hilarious).