NBC Midseason Shake-Up: Community Benched, Plus Three Shows on the Move

NBC is making some significant midseason scheduling changes in an effort to jump-start what has been a lackluster season so far.

That’s good news for Up All Night, but bad news for Community.

For starters, the Peacock is moving Up All Night to Thursdays at 9:30/8:30c following The Office beginning Jan. 12. The deteriorating Whitney will take over Night‘s former Wednesday lead-off spot on Jan. 11, where it will be paired with new sitcom Are You There, Chelsea?

Critical fave Community is being benched to make way for the return of 30 Rock on Thursday, Jan. 12 at 8/7c. An NBC source insists the show is just taking a breather and has not been canceled. Still, I have to ask: Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?

Elsewhere…

*Harry’s Law is relocating to Sundays at 8/7c beginning March 4.

* New drama The Firm will replace DOA rookie drama Prime Suspect on Thursdays at 10/9.

* Beginning Friday, Feb. 3, Who Do You Think You Are? takes over for Chuck, which will conclude its five-season run with a two-hour finale on January 27 at 8/7c.

* Parenthood‘s season finale airs Feb. 28. The new Elle Macpherson-hosted reality series Fashion Star assumes the Tuesday at 10/9c timeslot in March.

* Noticeably MIA: Buzzy new drama Awake, which recently went on a production hiatus to deal with some pressing creative issues.

The Peacock’s complete midseason schedule is below…

MONDAY
8/7c The Voice
10 pm SMASH

TUESDAY
8 pm The Biggest Loser
10 pm Parenthood (until Feb. 28)
10 pm FASHION STAR

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Whitney [new time slot]
8:30 pm ARE YOU THERE, CHELSEA?
9 pm Rock Center with Brian Williams [new time slot]

THURSDAY
8 pm 30 Rock [new time slot]
8:30 pm Parks and Recreation
9 pm The Office
9:30 pm Up All Night [new time slot]
10 THE FIRM

FRIDAY
8 pm Who Do You Think You Are?
9 pm Grimm
10 pm Dateline NBC

SATURDAY
Repeats “Encore programming”

SUNDAY
7 pm Dateline
8 pm Harry’s Law [new time slot]
9 pm The Celebrity Apprentice

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: News, Scheduling News, Winter TV Preview

1. Nina says:

What’s happening with prime suspect? I really enjoy that show. Are they not coming back in the spring?

2. Maggie says:

pretty bummed right now.. i really want to cry..i won’t be watching tv if God forbid it gets canceled..Community is pretty much the only show that i watch because i hardly have any time for tv

3. Emily says:

if Community is done forever I’m done with NBC forever . . . they keep that stupid Whitney show but take good shows like Community and dump them?? MORONS :P

4. Beth says:

Soooooooooo depressed..Community is the only show that actually makes me happy..it brings genuine joy and makes my life better..trust me its true

5. hru says:

WOW I just went through the entire line up and there are 2 shows I DVR and done I watch live on NBC. I have to wonder what is keeping that station afloat other than Football.

6. Tammy says:

i am never going to watch NBC again if Community gets canceled..a network that airs Whitney and shelves Community is not worth watching

7. Ashley says:

I love the news!!! time for some new shows to be given a chance, like Whitney! It’s a great funny show! I’m soooo glad it’s been giving a chance. Clearly u ppl dont know a good funny show! Your loss.

• greg says:

Ashley,

I wont resort to name calling but you are clearly probably under 25 and would not know good tv if it fell on your head. Please go watch Whitney, and 2 broke girls, and teen mom 3. I am sure you made this post waiting in line for breaking dawn as well. You are so in the minority here!

8. Laura says:

why no SVU on your schedule? it’s still on the schedule … right?

9. Lynnette says:

I love Community!!! I hope it’s not gone for good:-( At least Cougar Town will be back by then.

10. TM says:

Whitney is one of the dumbest shows on TV right now. While I miss my 30 Rock, and would much rather have Community on TV than Whitney.

11. Amy says:

is it just me or its kind of ironic that when Cougar Town returns, Community will be on hiatus? remember Abed’s freak out in the first episode of this season

12. Nicole says:

Where is Law and Order SVU in this line up? I knew Mariska was leaving but it’s not doing that bad. I enjoyed seeing Cragen under cover last week. If they cancel it I won’t watch NBC for any other thing but Harry’s Law

13. Ruth says:

This is a terrible lineup not so much for the shows but their timeslots. 30 Rock is not an 8:00 show. If they want to bench Community (which I don’t agree with) they should put Up All Night there. It’s more suited for an 8:00 timeslot than 30 Rock. I think 8:00 is a terribel time for 30 Rock. I also think that the timeslots for their other show that they are moving are not too good either. The new people at NBC are worse than the old ones if that’s even possible. They just don’t have a clue like the other networks do.

Ruth

14. LTA says:

Why is the Parenthood season so short? I love Parenthood!

15. TrulyRoxie says:

I find it very odd that I now only watch 2 shows on NBC when it used to be my go-to channel, and one of those is a “I’ll watch if nothing else is on” show!

16. D says:

Doesnt matter community has lost the essence that made it a good show in S1hasnt been that great or made sense since.

17. May says:

God this is so depressing..the show that makes me happy is the reason of my sadness..not cool NBC

18. Arlene says:

I keep reading that PRIME SUSPECT is not cancelled, and yet here we are. Any scoop on what’s really happening to it?

19. Shifty says:

The Office and 30 Rock are both well past their primes, whereas Community is just reaching its peak. And Whitney is just not very funny. Sad to see a consistently innovative and truly funny show like Community put on the shelf.

20. bpres says:

Just reviewing the schedule makes me realize why I rarely watch anything on NBC! I only saw two shows that I like to watch – Harry’s Law and Who Do You Think You Are? HI may give The Firm a chance. How far has the peacock fallen?

21. Deb says:

Um, where is Law & Order: SVU? Is that still going to be on Wednesdays at 10? Am I missing something?

22. Tray says:

You can say what you want, but I love Whitney and hope it gets renewed ! Best new sitcom this season !

• Phil says:

awww – it’s nice to see the actresses mom on the boards. Please get your daughter into another line of work — she’ll be much much happier (and so will all of humanity)

23. mia says:

NBC YOU SUUUUUUCK!

24. Jen says:

” Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?”

Who is making this crazy decision? The same person who got rid of ‘Freaks and Geeks’ years ago?

Community is charming and unique. Whitney though? Don’t get me started. 10 minutes into the premiere I was convinced it was one of the seven signs.

Now I know I’m right.

It’s THAT unfunny.

Thanks NBC.

25. Phil Emery says:

Whitney is embarrassing, Who ever told that women she could act is being very, very cruel. She couldn’t get hired in community theatre or a high-school production.

I wonder what kind of faecal material is in the heads of programming (as they obviously have no physical brain matter there). I would suggest a combination of Human and Dog. Discuss.

26. sara says:

No no no! this isn’t happening :(

27. Save Community! says:

Email NBC! Let them know we want Community!

28. Stacey says:

I read on another site that L&O:SVU is still Wednesday at 10.

29. blind hater says:

mentally handicapped people running NBC.Thanks assholes

30. =( says:

UGH… say it ain’t so NBC. Community is such an amazing show!! Don’t scrap it and keep Whitney <– which is AWFUL. Way to lose more viewers NBC

31. Tripp says:

I may be the only one (and hope not) but I really like the new Office. It’s not the Steve Carell show anymore and everyone in the cast is getting more story time/focus. Michael was my least favorite part of the show…now we can see everyone else blossom.

32. abby says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    seriously one of the best shows on tv!

33. Ron says:

WTDEUCE? Community is incredible and NBC are a bunch of idiots to bench it. Why do they keep messing with their lineup? The Office, Community, Parks and Recreation, and 30 Rock is the best comedy lineup on any station in years.

And how come no mention of Fear Factor in this story? I thought that was coming back in December?

34. Paloma says:

Wow. There are exactly two shows on that schedule I will be watching. Grimm and Harry’s Law (though liking it less this year and it’s opposite Once Upon a Time, so it has to get DVRd). I might try The Firm, but I really don’t see it as a series and we don’t really need another lawyer show.

35. rehabber says:

I was hoping they would move Grimm to another time or night, would love to watch it, but not taking Fringe or Supernatural off my DVR for it.

36. cathiecat says:

As a scripted drama lover, I just lost any motivation to watch NBC. Love Parenthood; why the abbreviated season? And Prime Suspect has turned into an a–kicking show with a terrific performance by Maria Bello, who is usually not one of my favorites. Have to DVR Harry while I watch Once Upon a Time live. Alas!

37. Beth says:

Community is one of the best shows on television right now, and apparently at NBC this translates to “let’s bench it for an undetermined amount of time”?! What. The. HELL? SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!!!

38. Maria says:

Get Whitney the hell off air! Every community-fan should participate and fight for our show, lets get them more viewers and send Whitney back into the awful place they came from

39. Allison says:

Please bring back Community!!

40. umadbro? says:

This is why I always work an episode of Community into the classes I teach every semester (I’m a lecturer at a junior college). Give me more time to recruit fans, NBC! So many people haven’t even heard of the show, and they love it once they DO see it!

• Bes says:

Exactly! So many people haven’t heard of it and that would probably account for why the ratings are low. Seriously, I’ve watched most of the “comedy” tv shows out there, and none of them make me laugh like Community.

What NBC needs to do is fix their damn scheduling. Make it promote Community. Once people see it, they’ll love it.

41. Anna says:

Whyyyy would anyone wanna cancel Community? DON’T DO IT. Why would you wanna keep Whitney and bench Community?! WHY?

42. linda says:

wth? give me my weekly dose of community.

43. M says:

No Community? How is this a good idea? I can’t believe they’re doing this! Such a great show with many loyal fans and they’re just going to bench it? Come on NBC, six seasons and a movie!

44. Cris says:

It’s a pity such a great show as Community isn’t having a great audience suport, hence NBC support. TV won’t be the same without such a great show

45. Lena says:

Community is the best comedy on TV. Enough said.

46. kj says:

Am I the only one upset that Parenthood gets a super short season and some crappy reality show that’s already been done is replacing it?? Parenthood is one of the few shows worth watching anymore!

47. reebus856 says:

Again NBC chooses to remain in 3 or 4th place by gutting their schedule. The Neanderthal programmers continue to look gift horses in the mouth squander their opportunities. That’s why when Southland was given the boot 2-3 yrs ago, TNT snatched it up and it became a hit for them. Community is a great show(although a little lackluster this season), but to bench it(code for cancel?) in deference for newbies like “Up All Night” & “Whitney” shows that NBC execs behave like a schizophrenics w/ ADHD. CW,CBS, FOX & the basic cable networks
    of TNT, USA,SyFy(both part of NBC Universal),FX etc. offer much better programming. Another point other commenters have brought
    up is that the viewing audience is getting their entertainment from from many sources and recording on DVR’s must not be counted.

48. Nonsense says:

This is complete bull. I hope NBC realizes the mistake they’re making by pulling Community and regrets it forever. Until its inevitable return, Greendale Human Beings- I’ll see you at Denny’s.

49. Tina says:

I’m surprised at all the community love. Maybe I didn’t give the show enough of a chance. I only watched a couple of episodes, but it was some of the least entertaining television I have ever watched. Sure it wasn’t as out and out horrible as say 2.5 men, but it was tedious. The only shows on this lineup I will probably watch regularly are the Voice and Grimm. Grimm isn’t exactly a great show, but there isn’t a heck of a lot on Friday nights. I tried to watch Parks and Rec it’s first season and as much as I love Amy, I couldn’t get into it. I’ve heard it has gotten better, but I’ll probably have to catch it in syndication. 30 Rock I like ok, but don’t feel a need to catch every episode and the Office hasn’t been good in ages. Whitney looked so terrible in the promos before the season started I was shocked anyone watched it.

• Teresa says:

I’m surprised at all the Community love. Maybe I didn’t give the show enough of a chance. I only watched a couple of episodes, but it was some of the least entertaining television I have ever watched.

The first six or so episodes they were still trying to find what worked and what didn’t. Once you get past those, the show just gets better and better. :)

• Tina says:

If it makes it to syndication maybe I’ll give it a watch. I seem to be in the minority in terms of television comedies these days though. I find HIMYM, Big Bang Theory and 2.5 men to be dreadfully unfunny and people watch those shows by the drove :/

50. CastleFan says:

I actually really like Prime Suspect and love Maria Bello. I hate to see it get brushed off so quickly!