NBC Midseason Shake-Up: Community Benched, Plus Three Shows on the Move

NBC is making some significant midseason scheduling changes in an effort to jump-start what has been a lackluster season so far.

That’s good news for Up All Night, but bad news for Community.

For starters, the Peacock is moving Up All Night to Thursdays at 9:30/8:30c following The Office beginning Jan. 12. The deteriorating Whitney will take over Night‘s former Wednesday lead-off spot on Jan. 11, where it will be paired with new sitcom Are You There, Chelsea?

Critical fave Community is being benched to make way for the return of 30 Rock on Thursday, Jan. 12 at 8/7c. An NBC source insists the show is just taking a breather and has not been canceled. Still, I have to ask: Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?

Elsewhere…

*Harry’s Law is relocating to Sundays at 8/7c beginning March 4.

* New drama The Firm will replace DOA rookie drama Prime Suspect on Thursdays at 10/9.

* Beginning Friday, Feb. 3, Who Do You Think You Are? takes over for Chuck, which will conclude its five-season run with a two-hour finale on January 27 at 8/7c.

* Parenthood‘s season finale airs Feb. 28. The new Elle Macpherson-hosted reality series Fashion Star assumes the Tuesday at 10/9c timeslot in March.

* Noticeably MIA: Buzzy new drama Awake, which recently went on a production hiatus to deal with some pressing creative issues.

The Peacock’s complete midseason schedule is below…

MONDAY
8/7c The Voice
10 pm SMASH

TUESDAY
8 pm The Biggest Loser
10 pm Parenthood (until Feb. 28)
10 pm FASHION STAR

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Whitney [new time slot]
8:30 pm ARE YOU THERE, CHELSEA?
9 pm Rock Center with Brian Williams [new time slot]

THURSDAY
8 pm 30 Rock [new time slot]
8:30 pm Parks and Recreation
9 pm The Office
9:30 pm Up All Night [new time slot]
10 THE FIRM

FRIDAY
8 pm Who Do You Think You Are?
9 pm Grimm
10 pm Dateline NBC

SATURDAY
Repeats “Encore programming”

SUNDAY
7 pm Dateline
8 pm Harry’s Law [new time slot]
9 pm The Celebrity Apprentice

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: News, Scheduling News, Winter TV Preview

1. Henry Gillard says:

Community needs to be on this list. There is already a twitter, tumblr, and facebook page dedicated to saving it. It is the only great show on this list. It needs to be up here.

2. LAME says:

I’ll miss Community.

Time to enjoy me some ABC TV shows. <3

3. Mary says:

Shelving Community is a horrible decision! Community’s fanbase is small but mighty, and diehard Chuck and Parks and Rec fans will have our backs on this one if it comes to boycotting NBC (which wouldn’t be much of a loss to me other than P&R anyway.)

Greendale is where I belong!

4. LF says:

I am another huge fan of Community and very much upset by this news. If this show is cancelled, I will have lost my favorite show. Of all time. At least let it get through four seasons, I mean damn. Whitney? WTF?

5. Hermit says:

I don’t get it! Does this mean Harry’s Law is getting a full season?

6. Allison says:

This concerns me greatly. While it is easy for NBC to say that Community is taking a “breather” who is to say that they up and decide that they don’t want to bring it back because it wasn’t bringing in the ratings they wanted. It is just too risky, and I will do what I can to let NBC know that Community needs to come back. I barely watch TV as it is, and Community is the reason why I actually turn on the thing.

7. cj says:

“Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?” – It’s NBC’s fault for giving it a full season pick up. i don’t watch Community, but i DEFINITELY don’t watch whitney. NBC seriously needs to rethink its programming strategies. the office and 30rock aren’t going to be around for too much longer (though it pains me to admit it), and they need to do something new and better, god willing Whitney is not their idea of “better.”

8. Samantha says:

#OccupyGreendale!!! We just need one more year of Community!!!!

9. So, without Community or Parenthood, the only reason I have to watch anything on NBC is The Office? And it is nowhere near the show it was when they could write for Carrell. This should help the network.

10. Isabella says:

Not cool not cool not cool not cool

11. Emanuela says:

I just hope this not means Community is on its way to be cancelled. It is one of the best shows currently on tv, definitely the very best between comedies!

12. KL says:

Just realized that NBC’s line-up pretty much blows.

13. Donnie says:

Community>30 rock. I can’t believe this. Seriously po’d right now.

14. Tammy says:

and people wonder why NBC struggles

15. Ibrahim says:

This is ridicules! I think there’s a mistake somewhere ! I mean HELLO !!!!!! this Community that we’re talking about =/ stupid typical NBC.

16. John says:

Why don’t they just cancel Whitney? They’re gonna do it come the end of the season anyway. Bring Back Community. 6 Seasons and a Movie right? right?

17. ALanna says:

i am boycotting NBC which shouldn’t be hard at all. crap crap crap! Sorry NBC, you lost a viewer and probably more to come. Actually, then again I am really not sorry. Go firetruck yourself!!!

18. allie says:

this is streets behind NBC
    …….streets behind

19. bdhstl says:

And in everything else as well.

20. bdhstl says:

Guessing Whitney is writing &/or producing on Chelsea show. Got money tied up in her n production costs r low on Whitney so it will stay as lead-in for Chelsea debut.

21. Nothing But Crap says:

Decisions like these are why NBC comes in FIFTH nearly every night.

22. RecceR says:

Once again NBC shoots itself in the foot. This new president is almost worse than the previous one. I didn’t think it was possible to make their schedule look any more of a hot mess then it already was, but they sure did it. They should have tried to do the 3-hour comedy block for Thursdays again. The reason it didn’t work last spring is because they scheduled everything wrong and had 2 new shows (which people didn’t care for too much) together. If they just did a solid comedy night, placing the shows in respectable slots, everything would probably work out. Because let’s face it, they will never have ratings with a 10pm drama on that night like they did with ER, yet they keep trying. Here’s what they should do…

8pm Up All Night
    8:30pm Community
    9pm The Office
    9:30 Parks & Recreation
    10pm Are Your There, Chelsea?
    10:30pm 30 Rock

And leave Whitney to fend for itself on Wednesdays.

I mean seriously NBC, and they are keeping Rock Center? That show is doing extremely poor, and completely under-performing in the ratings for what it replaced, The Playboy Club. And besides completely screwing Community, they are also doing it to Grimm by keeping it on Fridays. It’s in-between “Who do you think you are?” and “Dateline,” what a completely idiotic move. The whole schedule is a mess and in shambles.

Then again, NBC is not the worst, ABC surely takes the cake. By this time (for the past 4 years), ABC usually cancels 3 of their new shows, they only cancelled one because they need to replace former hits like Desperate Housewives and Lost (yep, they still haven’t found a hit to replace Lost yet. haha). Sorry about that ABC rant, it’s just that all the networks pretty much suck badly with scheduling and choosing which shows to keep or kill. CBS probably does the best job, but I can only watch so much procedural crime dramas or multi-cam sitcoms about 30+ year-olds.

Also, if NBC inevitably decides to cancel Community, Sony better take it on over to FX.

23. Anni says:

The Lord is testing me.

24. rob says:

NO. Such a bad decision. Whitney is terrible, how it can be on when something as quality as Community can’t is the worst decision NBC has made in a long line of bad decisions

25. R.R. says:

I understand, with the ratings NBC has been getting, but Community is a great show! It deserves another chance on another night. NBC-You have a better shot with that syndication money and DVD sales with Community than with Whitney. Think long term Cheers investment on this one. And any decision that gives us less Alison Brie is a crime against Humanity!!

26. laura says:

GRRRR I AM SO ANNGRY
    NBC listen to your viewers and keep one of your ONLY intelligent creative show thats worth watching! If you keep Whitney over Community you are going to make soo many people angry.
    FOR ONCE can you listen to your viewers and maintain some loyalty and credibility
    OR else i am going to be PISSED

27. Rachel says:

NBC will lose my viewership if it cancels Community. Best show on the damned channel.

28. Mike says:

NBC passes on 17th Precinct for classics like Grimm, Up All Night, Whitney and Fashion star. Good move. They wonder why they always suck in the ratings.

29. patrick zalusky says:

SVU?

30. NBCUL8R says:

What’s really sad is that out of 7 days of programming available the only shows I’ll be tuning in to are 30 Rock, (and I’m rapidly losing patience with this one, way too much Tracy Morgan), and Grimm. Other than that the network has no appeal to me.

Relugated to last place because of poor viewing choices.

31. Marco says:

PLEASE NBC, DON’T CANCELL COMMUNITY!! move it on another day, if you want to air 30rock on thursday at 8/9c, but at least going to air all the season 3…We need this show!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…Hell to the NO!!

32. Meg says:

Community is my favorite show on Thursday nights! NBC what r u thinking and who is making these terrible decisions?!!

33. L says:

I only watch NBC for Community. Now I have no reason to watch at all. Maybe someone else will pick it up.

34. Esky says:

Ridiculous decision by a bizarre network who seem to like making poor decisions. Luckily fans get themselves in such a tizzy over this kind of thing i am sure there would be some form of petition to save it

35. Karina says:

COMMUNITY. BENCHED?! Omg, why can`t good shows ever last on television?? Give it back to us! Now the ONLY good thing left on NBC is Parks & Rec. Let`s hope they don`t screw with that as well… #savecommunity

36. Mari says:

Y U NO CANCEL WHITNEY? Y U NO SAVE COMMUNITY? YYY?

37. Community College Graduate says:

This is why NBC is the #3 (or is it #4) network … stupid decisions like this.

38. HoneyBee says:

*scream like Abed*

This is the worst news! NBC you suck!

39. Stacey says:

Where are Law & Oder: SVU, and new show Bent?

I’ve really been enjoying the new dynamic on SVU this season. And Bent was one of my most anticipated shows for the new season.

40. Kyle says:

Like Up All Night but now that its on Thursdays I guess I wont be watching it anymore do to conflicting shows. Hope it don’t hurt its ratings. Also if they were going to move any show around I think it should be Grim since they have it in the stupidest time slot which guarantees its failure.

41. wicked says:

Noobs Benched Community.

42. Kosha says:

So is Prime Suspect cancelled? I love that show! It figures – NBC finds some good programming and then gets rid of it as quickly as possible to avoid improving their standings in the ratings!!! I also think messing with Community is a big mistake! I like 30 Rock and Whitney is growing on me. The few episodes of Up all Night I’ve seen were good and enjoy Harry’s Law. Can’t they figure out a way to make all this work?

43. Six Seasons and a Movie says:

NBC, stop telling jokes: you’re bad at it.
    WE WANT COMMUNITY!!!!!!!!

44. h says:

Parenthood ends on february 28th already??? I want more of it!

45. Chris says:

Bring back community!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

46. JJ says:

We want Community get rid of Whitney!!

47. Myke25 says:

Apparently NBC is hoping to finish in last place so they can draft Andrew Luck!

48. Christabelle says:

Community is so funny, so boundary-pushing, it’s a shame NBC can’t recognize and promote it accordingly. I’m convinced that there’s an audience out there for such a smart, funny show.

49. Megan says:

1. Heroes was the best show ever! I’m soooooo mad they canceled it and we didnt get to see wat happened after claire revealed her power to the world.

2. If community is canceled I will never again watch ABC…..