NBC Midseason Shake-Up: Community Benched, Plus Three Shows on the Move

NBC is making some significant midseason scheduling changes in an effort to jump-start what has been a lackluster season so far.

That’s good news for Up All Night, but bad news for Community.

For starters, the Peacock is moving Up All Night to Thursdays at 9:30/8:30c following The Office beginning Jan. 12. The deteriorating Whitney will take over Night‘s former Wednesday lead-off spot on Jan. 11, where it will be paired with new sitcom Are You There, Chelsea?

Critical fave Community is being benched to make way for the return of 30 Rock on Thursday, Jan. 12 at 8/7c. An NBC source insists the show is just taking a breather and has not been canceled. Still, I have to ask: Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?

Elsewhere…

*Harry’s Law is relocating to Sundays at 8/7c beginning March 4.

* New drama The Firm will replace DOA rookie drama Prime Suspect on Thursdays at 10/9.

* Beginning Friday, Feb. 3, Who Do You Think You Are? takes over for Chuck, which will conclude its five-season run with a two-hour finale on January 27 at 8/7c.

* Parenthood‘s season finale airs Feb. 28. The new Elle Macpherson-hosted reality series Fashion Star assumes the Tuesday at 10/9c timeslot in March.

* Noticeably MIA: Buzzy new drama Awake, which recently went on a production hiatus to deal with some pressing creative issues.

The Peacock’s complete midseason schedule is below…

MONDAY
8/7c The Voice
10 pm SMASH

TUESDAY
8 pm The Biggest Loser
10 pm Parenthood (until Feb. 28)
10 pm FASHION STAR

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Whitney [new time slot]
8:30 pm ARE YOU THERE, CHELSEA?
9 pm Rock Center with Brian Williams [new time slot]

THURSDAY
8 pm 30 Rock [new time slot]
8:30 pm Parks and Recreation
9 pm The Office
9:30 pm Up All Night [new time slot]
10 THE FIRM

FRIDAY
8 pm Who Do You Think You Are?
9 pm Grimm
10 pm Dateline NBC

SATURDAY
Repeats “Encore programming”

SUNDAY
7 pm Dateline
8 pm Harry’s Law [new time slot]
9 pm The Celebrity Apprentice

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: News, Scheduling News, Winter TV Preview

1. John. M says:

How can Community get pulled for low ratings while poorly written, hackneyed clichéd abominations like Glee, Whitney, Terra Nova, Jersey Shore, New Girl and Grimm get consistently high ratings? has everyone emptied their minds so thoroughly that good writing just doesn’t make sense to them anymore?.

The zombie apocalypse happened decades ago America, you just didn’t notice because all the zombies are at home on the sofa, giggling when the laugh track tells them to.

2. Meaghan says:

Who in their right mind thinks we need more Whitney but less Community. I love Whitney Cumming’s 2 Broke Girls but Whitney is terrible. Community needs some love from NBC, it’s hysterical

3. Drakan says:

Well, since Prime Suspect and Community are getting the shaft mid-season, looks like Harry’s Law will be the only thing I’ll bother watching. Which leads me to this point: STOP MOVING IT AROUND SO DARN MUCH. It alienates the fanbase, especially people who have their tv set to a certain time, or have something else they watch.

To put things into perspective, I’ve been a faithful watcher of Community since Season Two. The Premier. I didn’t even make it halfway through the episode without flat-out adoring the show. This is coming from an otherwise faithful (I’m talking ‘I watch every time it AIRS, get the season dvds when they come out, watch all of the interviews, etc.’ faithful) Big Bang Theory fan, who dropped it right afterwords in FAVOR of Community, a show I knew nothing about except for ONE episode. I don’t do that for just any show. Yes, I may have watched it on account of Betty White, initally, but the characters made me stay, the way they acted with each other, and the crazy stuff that happens day in and day out. Don’t throw this gem away for crappy replacements. It may not be popular now, but give it some time. Besides, Dan needs only one more season for the show to finish the show. Give ‘im that.

Granted, breaks are fine, but I doubt it’ll do Community any favors at all, especially with it being as long as I think it’ll be. Fringe, my all-time favorite show period, suffered quite a bit over (frequent, but never the less) breaks. I know, I am a long-time watcher of that show, mid season one, and the scare of it not another season is enough to make me scream and panic, and with community, ESPECIALLY with Mr. Harmon needing only one more to complete Community is completely unfair, even more so that this show is definitely …well, so many ‘streets ahead’ that it’s too far ahead of the pack in terms of originality, heart, intelligence, and laughs, to borrow a phrase. What with cookie cutter shows cropping up by the dozen, especially where comedy is concerned, Community is a breath of fresh air.

Also, on a related note: Absolutely none of these shows, save for Harry’s Law that’s still going to be on this mid season, are interesting to me, at all, and that’s assuming I can remember it’ll be on Sundays, since I don’t watch anything at all then.

4. Paul says:

Glad Harry’s Law is getting a new night & time! It would be great if NBC also allowed Prime Suspect to run on another night, it is a really great cast w/ interesting stories.

5. STREETS BEHIND says:

NOT cool, NBC. Not cool, not cool, not cool.
    SAVE COMMUNITY!!!

6. Derek says:

I love Community, but you have to face the fact that the show only pulls about 3.5 mil viewers & 1.5-1.7 demo. It has continually lost viewers the last 2 seasons. People aren’t getting it & it’s a losing proposition even by NBC’s low standards. Unfortunately, ratings equal ad dollars which pays the bills. Community is a third year show which means higher production costs & there’s no way it’s making a profit. Quality alone can’t keep a show afloat.

7. Chelsea says:

Who in their right mind would ever prefer Whitney to Community? I think NBC messed up, surely they meant to bench Whitney and not Community. #OccupyGreendale #SaveCommunity #sixseasonsandamovie

8. Danny says:

WHAT! Why? I want Community back! They can cancel Whitney or Up All Night if they want! This decision is STUPID!

9. Jonathan says:

I like 30 Rock, but I reckon it’s probably peaked. I’d much rather have more Community, which definitely has at least another season left in it. Pretty sure it’s the only show on NBC I even watch… This is such crap, Arrested Development announce that there’ll be another season and Community immediately gets the treatment AD did before it was cancelled. I feel like some higher power there can only be one sitcom I genuinely love at a time.

10. Brooke says:

You really think Whitney is even close to funny? The ADs and commericals did, so when I went to take a look, I didn’t laugh at all. It’s all thanks to the ‘laugh-board’, huh? Also, everyone thinks Whitney should be a “FOX” show, not NBC. It’s the only show thats randomly live studio audience? Community, in my take, is the funniest show, it has the amazing Chevy Chase, and the hilarious Joel Mchale. Followed by MANY talented actors/actresses. Community deserves more than this. Taking a breather? Let’s just bring it back, come on.

11. Justin says:

Community and Harry’s Law are NBC’s 2 best shows. This is bull

12. Elzear says:

‘Community’ is a star in the bleak world of network comedy. Don’t reduce the world to darkness.

13. nicocacola says:

Benching Community is an absurd move on NBC’s part. It’s a phenomenal show that airs at an unfavorable time. Whitney only has however many viewers it has because people leave the tv on after The Office, a fate Up All Night will inherit. Up All Night and Whitney will soon both enjoy success available to them only because people watch The Office and leave the tv on

14. brandon says:

Parenthood doesn’t get a full season and Community gets benched?? You’ve gotta be kidding me. What are they thinking?

15. J says:

Please do not cancel Community! This is your Arrested Development moment, NBC! Don’t do it! Don’t become the people that everyone hates for canceling things that are beautiful and good.

16. TheTwitch says:

Am I the only one that liked Prime Suspect?? Not the most original procedural but love Bello and the fellas were all getting better each ep – totally grew on me.

• NedPepper says:

No, I’m with you. Everyone is crying over Community (it’s not going anywhere…as soon as Chelsea’s show tanks, it will take that spot)…Prime Suspect was the only procedurial worth watching on broadcast TV. Maria Bello rocks. Where’s the love? Sigh….

17. Casey says:

“Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?”

Hell no!!!!!!

18. Maddy says:

Okay, so here’s what should happen. Whitney can be canceled, Up All Night can take that Wednesday spot, 30 Rock can take back it’s old time slot after The Office, and Community stays before Parks and Rec.

Done and done.

• James says:

Yes to everything you said! Whitney sucks and Community being benched while that trash is still on the air just shows why NBC is struggling.

19. Juls says:

I am rather disappointed with NBC. In my opinion, Community is not only a quality television program, but it may very well be the best one currently on television. And instead it gets benched, while sexist garbage like Whitney gets to stay on the air?

This is despicable. Consider this an NBC boycott, seeing as Community was the only show I was watching on the network anyways.

20. Ian says:

30 Rock hasn’t been funny since season 3. The Office is limping along on life support. And even the commercials for Whitney are painful to watch!!! And Community gets taken off. Go F yourself peacock. I have no reason to watch your network or support your products anymore.

21. Tina Niemeyer says:

This is ridiculous! No Community but Whitney is still on?! NBC can do comedy very, very right, but without Community any bit of faith I had in them just up and disappears.

22. mary anne says:

so when is Community coming back?

23. Wes says:

This is very very bad news. Community is one of the few shows that has many layers to it humor while also playing homage to past shows/movies. Where else would you see an hour final that starts as a western and turns into a Star Wars homage.

24. CB says:

This is why NBC sucks!

25. Marcus says:

SO Glad that 30 Rock is back! That is the best show that has ever hit the airways, and last season (except that last episode) it really stepped it up and became the show we all remembered it being! Stink for Community, I’m shocked they took it off, but they did say it’s not cancelled, just not returning right away. I don’t get why THE FIRM is on thursdays. I thought Thursdays were for comedy. I liked last year how they had a three hour comedy block. Thank the Lord 30 Rock is back though! Been going through Jane Krakowski and Tina Fey withdrawals!!

26. 6Seasons&aMovie says:

This is crap that NBC is pulling Community from the schedule. Whitney is a horrible show, and 30 rock can have that spot.

27. Amy says:

NBC deserves all the trouble they’re into..not promoting Community, keeping it in the wrong time-slot and promoting Whitney were the worst decisions they have made..oh wait shelving Community and keeping Whitney on the air is even worse

28. VOMI says:

WHAT! Why is Community getting benched? Is NBC looking to cancel it? I hope not. The show is underrated and its cast is loveable. It deserves more than this.

29. Alisa says:

Community is like my boyfriend. I love my boyfriend. I want to marry my boyfriend. I don’t want NBC to kill my boyfriend. So, who wants to bet that after a month off the air, we’ll suddenly get a surprise cancellation announcement?

30. J says:

Up All Night is not funny at all & their for some reason DESPerate to make it a hit it wont become. Along with the awful Whitney(Outsourced was ALOT funnier, scary thought)…NBC is a joke, they don’t give actual good shows like Community & Parks & Rec a chance to grow, they set them up to fail.

31. Melissa says:

The thought of no Community makes me feel sick!! This. Is. Awful.

32. em says:

This is the worst news ever.

33. Bass87 says:

Guys! I hate whitney too, and I found this page on Facebook supporting “Community.” If NBC listened to us when we asked them to let Betty White host SNL, I’m pretty sure we can do the same and bring back “Community.” So far it only has 77 fans, but the more merrier. So, go ahead and please like the page!

This is the link:

34. Katattack says:

This is horrible. Community is well written and inventive, it should NOT be canceled/shelved. What is NBC thinking with crap like Whitney and Chelsea Handler? NBC, you are KILLING your best shows. Stop being stupid.

35. Mandy says:

What kind of world is this?!?! Community is one of the best comedies on TV besides How I Met Your Mother. Whitney is terrible and Chelsea looks awful already! Cancel them and promote Community more.
    I love Troy. He makes my week.

36. Taryn says:

one of the best moves NBC has ever made, in my opinion. I can’t STAND Community! Its just a stupid comedy show

37. Hannah says:

Please, if you’re just as in shock as me about Community, I beg you to write NBC and let your feelings known. I did try and their servers were down, so hopefully they’re getting a lot of mail tonight. Will try until I get through.

38. Badwolf says:

I cannot live in a world where Community doesn’t exist and Whitney. I will stage my death to look like a suicide driven by Community’s cancelation

39. Alex says:

Pulling Community is a crime. They need to reverse this foolish mistake immediately.

40. AndyLuvr says:

“Parks and Recreation” needs to go back to the post-“Office” spot.

41. AJ says:

That is really disappointing news. NBC has totally F’ ed up. Ever since the whole Leno at 10 crap, the network has been a joke. And know they are benching Community? What the Sh*t. Other then Chuck Community is the only thing I watch on this dying network. I hate this.

42. wil says:

Community lost its spark a long time ago….Whitney is HORRIBLE..Up All Night is a JOKE…park/rec…AWESOME….30 Rock….AWESOME…The Office…james spader….AWESOME….good move 4 Harry’s Law

43. Riz says:

seriously people whining about it? i think it is American viewers itself that make this happened because they don’t want to watch quality shows like community

44. NedPepper says:

WHERE IS PRIME SUSPECT? It’s the only show I watch on NBC. And nothing on that midseason replacement looks to change that. Damn shame.

45. GDM says:

if Community is cancelled i’m never another show on NBC. i doubt it will help but i’ve already sent them an angry email telling them the same.

46. NedPepper says:

I don’t know why they don’t just bench Witney and put Community in that spot. I don’t know if it will help, but it needs a new timeslot. Not to be cancelled.

47. Kat says:

Community is the best show on NBC. They’d have to be serious messed up to pull it. NBC, don’t Britta a good thing. Keep Community!

48. sara says:

so from when is community being taken off?
    I HATE YOU NBC
    try to maintain some loyalty to your viewers, community is a freaking awesome show and by god if a show like Whitney is going to be on the air at least alleviate it’s pure mediocrity with the indescribable awesomeness that is COMMUNITY
    i dont think i can survive without my double fix of Parks and Recreation and Community

49. MuLes says:

This is not OK ! Community is currently by far one of the funniest and most inventive show on TV. I need my weekly fix of Troy, Abed, Annie, Jeff, Britta, Pierce, Shirley, Chang and Dean Pelton in Greendale. It brings fun in my life. :'(

50. sara says: