NBC Midseason Shake-Up: Community Benched, Plus Three Shows on the Move

That’s good news for Up All Night, but bad news for Community.

For starters, the Peacock is moving Up All Night to Thursdays at 9:30/8:30c following The Office beginning Jan. 12. The deteriorating Whitney will take over Night‘s former Wednesday lead-off spot on Jan. 11, where it will be paired with new sitcom Are You There, Chelsea?

Critical fave Community is being benched to make way for the return of 30 Rock on Thursday, Jan. 12 at 8/7c. An NBC source insists the show is just taking a breather and has not been canceled. Still, I have to ask: Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?

Elsewhere…

*Harry’s Law is relocating to Sundays at 8/7c beginning March 4.

* New drama The Firm will replace DOA rookie drama Prime Suspect on Thursdays at 10/9.

* Beginning Friday, Feb. 3, Who Do You Think You Are? takes over for Chuck, which will conclude its five-season run with a two-hour finale on January 27 at 8/7c.

* Parenthood‘s season finale airs Feb. 28. The new Elle Macpherson-hosted reality series Fashion Star assumes the Tuesday at 10/9c timeslot in March.

* Noticeably MIA: Buzzy new drama Awake, which recently went on a production hiatus to deal with some pressing creative issues.

The Peacock’s complete midseason schedule is below…

MONDAY
8/7c The Voice
10 pm SMASH

TUESDAY
8 pm The Biggest Loser
10 pm Parenthood (until Feb. 28)
10 pm FASHION STAR

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Whitney [new time slot]
8:30 pm ARE YOU THERE, CHELSEA?
9 pm Rock Center with Brian Williams [new time slot]

THURSDAY
8 pm 30 Rock [new time slot]
8:30 pm Parks and Recreation
9 pm The Office
9:30 pm Up All Night [new time slot]
10 THE FIRM

FRIDAY
8 pm Who Do You Think You Are?
9 pm Grimm
10 pm Dateline NBC

SATURDAY
Repeats “Encore programming”

SUNDAY
7 pm Dateline
8 pm Harry’s Law [new time slot]
9 pm The Celebrity Apprentice

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: News, Scheduling News, Winter TV Preview

1. Chris Walker says:

This is the worst decision! Of all time! EVER!!!!!

2. Lucy says:

This is unacceptable. Community is my favorite show and the perfect lead in for The office and Parks and Rec. It only needs for Season to complete its story. :(

3. Lydia says:

I actually enjoy both Whitney and Community, even though I may be one the few. I hope they both stay on NBC because they’re the only two I actually enjoy.

4. :/ says:

…Who even watches Whitney?

5. Brittany says:

NBC is out of their damn minds. Keeping Whitney and benching Community is the dumbest thing they have ever done. It’s mind boggling.

6. Rachael Wilkinson says:

NBC?! What what what are you doing?! Community is gone while Whitney remains? This is so streets behind. Disagree with this decision. Community is one of the funniest and smartest shows out there.

7. C says:

The fact that Community has been removed from the schedule is a travesty. Especially considering that unfunny, juvenile crap like Whitney still remains.

8. Cody says:

“NBC is making some significant midseason scheduling changes in an effort to jump-start what has been a lackluster season so far.”

Except that Community is ever growing and improving and has had such a consistently good run so far this season. Scrapping it now would stop something at the height of its greatness.

9. anabell says:

The only reason I am watching NBC right now is Community. The Office has gone completely south, they’re bringing in shows like Whitney, and this network is becoming worthless. If Community is gone, I’m gone.

10. MAD says:

Please don’t scrap Community. NBC, you’re breaking my heart. You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

11. Paula says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This is the worst news on TV since ABC decided to put Cougar Town in midseason.
    I need Abed in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. orchis says:

What the hell is going on, why is there no Community? D: They better not be thinking of cancelling it D:

13. Kaitlin says:

The answer to your question (“Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?”) is a resounding NO.
    You can tell how terrible Whitney is just from the promos. STOP THE MADNESS!

14. Paula says:

We need to save Community, TROBED needs us.

15. Save Community By Spreading Kiss From A Rose Lyricys Everywhere. says:

There used to be a graying tower alone on the sea.
    You became the light on the dark side of me.
    Love remained a drug that’s the high and not the pill.
    But did you know,
    That when it snows,
    My eyes become large and
    The light that you shine can be seen.
    Baby,
    I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
    Ooh,
    The more I get of you,
    The stranger it feels, yeah.
    And now that your rose is in bloom.
    A light hits the gloom on the gray.
    There is so much a man can tell you,
    So much he can say.
    You remain,
    My power, my pleasure, my pain, baby
    To me you’re like a growing addiction that I can’t deny.
    Won’t you tell me is that healthy, baby?
    But did you know,
    That when it snows,
    My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen.
    Baby,
    I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
    Ooh, the more I get of you
    The stranger it feels, yeah
    Now that your rose is in bloom.
    A light hits the gloom on the gray,
    I’ve been kissed by a rose on the gray,
    I’ve been kissed by a rose
    I’ve been kissed by a rose on the gray,
    …And if I should fall along the way
    I’ve been kissed by a rose
    …been kissed by a rose on the gray.
    There is so much a man can tell you,
    So much he can say.
    You remain
    My power, my pleasure, my pain.
    To me you’re like a growing addiction that I can’t deny, yeah
    Won’t you tell me is that healthy, baby.
    But did you know,
    That when it snows,
    My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen.
    Baby,
    I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
    Ooh, the more I get of you
    The stranger it feels, yeah
    Now that your rose is in bloom,
    A light hits the gloom on the gray.
    Yes I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray
    Ooh, the more I get of you
    The stranger it feels, yeah
    And now that your rose is in bloom
    A light hits the gloom on the gray
    Now that your rose is in bloom,
    A light hits the gloom on the gray.

Save Community

16. Seal says:

There used to be a graying tower alone on the sea.
    You became the light on the dark side of me.
    Love remained a drug that’s the high and not the pill.
    But did you know,
    That when it snows,
    My eyes become large and
    The light that you shine can be seen.
    Baby,
    I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
    Ooh,
    The more I get of you,
    The stranger it feels, yeah.
    And now that your rose is in bloom.
    A light hits the gloom on the gray.
    There is so much a man can tell you,
    So much he can say.
    You remain,
    My power, my pleasure, my pain, baby
    To me you’re like a growing addiction that I can’t deny.
    Won’t you tell me is that healthy, baby?
    But did you know,
    That when it snows,
    My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen.
    Baby,
    I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
    Ooh, the more I get of you
    The stranger it feels, yeah
    Now that your rose is in bloom.
    A light hits the gloom on the gray,
    I’ve been kissed by a rose on the gray,
    I’ve been kissed by a rose
    I’ve been kissed by a rose on the gray,
    …And if I should fall along the way
    I’ve been kissed by a rose
    …been kissed by a rose on the gray.
    There is so much a man can tell you,
    So much he can say.
    You remain
    My power, my pleasure, my pain.
    To me you’re like a growing addiction that I can’t deny, yeah
    Won’t you tell me is that healthy, baby.
    But did you know,
    That when it snows,
    My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen.
    Baby,
    I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
    Ooh, the more I get of you
    The stranger it feels, yeah
    Now that your rose is in bloom,
    A light hits the gloom on the gray.
    Yes I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray
    Ooh, the more I get of you
    The stranger it feels, yeah
    And now that your rose is in bloom
    A light hits the gloom on the gray
    Now that your rose is in bloom,
    A light hits the gloom on the gray.

17. Seal says:

Save Community: Spread Kiss From A rose

18. Donna says:

I’m so disappointed about nbc’s decision to shelve Community. I think the network is making a mistake. I love thirty rock but not to the extent that i’d be willing to have it replace my favorite show. damn you nbc. *shakes fist*

19. Reg says:

This is just the worst move NBC could do! Community is one of the greatest television shows on air. Witty and hysterical, its comedy is one of kind and the worst part about benching such an amazing show is that they’re still going to air Whitney (and the sure-to-fail Are You There, Chelsea?)!

20. Nádia Peres Machado de Oliveira says:

that’s a huge mistake! let community on, please! i’m from brazil and i really love it! every single episode and every single carachter… please, do not cancel community! a lot of fans will suffer :(

21. monica says:

OMG, i can not believe you’re canceling community!!!! that’s the currently best show! you’re gonna regret it D:

22. Holden Caulfield says:

don’t be dumb NBC Community is the best show on air don’t get rid of it

23. Amy says:

Why is Phood’s season finale in February?

24. Jimmothy R says:

Community better come back or I will start an Occupy NBC. The fact that Whitney actually got picked up for a full season is such a joke. Everyone, find a petition, link it, sing it, pass it. That’s all I can say. Oh, and if you see Dan Harmon, give him a hug and let him know that this show really is loved by many. >_< /angry.

25. mark says:

that’s awful, dude. community needs to stay ON! i’m really disappointed with nbc, seriously

26. DaDa says:

NBC. Look at your life, look at your choices. Community is way funnier than Whitney and smarter too. Please don’t make this huge mistake.

27. kris says:

Without Community, there’s only one show left on NBC that I even watch (Grimm). Not much of a point to even turn to that channel now.

28. Maddie says:

The thought of NBC keeping Whitney and cancelling Community is enough to make me physically ill. Even Awake can’t make up for this mess.

29. nechoplex says:

If NBC cancels Community then my faith in that network will die as well. It’s so frustrating how such a brilliant show, who’s having such creatively awesome season, is being shelved and ignored.

30. Mandy says:

WHAT! I can’t even.
    I always had a feeling that Community might get canceled (the best shows always seem to be cut short). But IF it does get canceled, we can be hopeful that a network smarter than NBC will pick it up.

31. Jane says:

Community is the first show that has made me laugh until I can’t breathe since Arrested Development.

Please don’t cancel this show. It would be such an awful mistake!!

32. maggie says:

“Whitney” should be cancelled. It’s awful. I saw the original pilot of “..Chelsea” and it was even worse than “Whitney.” I’m a fan of “Chelsea Lately” but I couldn’t stand Chelsea playing her “sister” or Laura Prepon as Chelsea.

“Community” had better not get cancelled. But it’s on NBC, and they don’t have the best record of making good decisions. Proof is that they’re bringing back “Celebrity Apprentice” and its ignorant blowhard host, Don Trump.

33. Mia says:

Why do they put EVERYTHING decent on Thursday nights? Like seriously? Up All Night against Grey’s and Bones. I have years invested in those two shows. Up All Night is funny and I enjoy it, but it’s going to be an on demand show from now on.

34. booyounbc says:

I’m so disappointed in NBC pushing back Community. Seriously? Such a bad decision.

35. jen says:

I don’t expect *good* decisions from NBC anymore, but I had hope Community would stay on Thursdays, since it fit well w/ 30 Rock. Don’t know what “up all night” will add to Thurs. nite.

36. Ness says:

If Community gets cancelled, I don’t know what NBC will really have going for them. Please, please, PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL one of the most intelligent, innovative HILARIOUS shows ever in existence for the sake of another flimsy formulaic sit com.
    PLEASE.

37. Cait says:

I could echo all of the many great points I have heard tonight, but I would like to say that Community is the reason I have started looking forward to watching a show again. There are smart people with two brain cells left to rub together who like to watch TV and I speak for most of us when I plead for NBC to not give into the temptation to cater to the lowest common denominator. If you want to see the same insipid crap played out every week that you are currently getting from Whitney – just watch her stand up. A note: we cannot all be Seinfeld nor should anyone else try. Ever.

The actors, the storylines, the jokes and the writing on Community are, for lack of a better term, “Streets Ahead.” I don’t want to see it get bulldozed by one dimensional garbage. I will not go back to falling in love with a TV show after this happened to Arrested Development. It is not worth watching TV anymore if you’re operating at above a 2nd grade level.

38. No, just no. They’re really benching Community. Really? I don’t have words for my outrage. I love that show to pieces. Every episode is clever and witty and hilarious. I hope Community realizes how many people are outraged about this.

39. Natalie says:

I can’t believe they’re benching Community. It’s literally my favorite show on T.V. and I will hold a grudge against NBC forever if it gets cancelled.

40. Brad says:

Please use different wordage for the title of the link to this article. “NBC Pulls Community” gives me anxiety every time I see it. How about “The greatest modern sitcom takes a short break to help fix the Neilsen Ratings problem so we can see that in actuality nearly 10 million people are watching a week.”

41. Megan says:

WHY? PLEASE NO NOT COMMUNITY! It’s my favorite show! It’s all my friends’ favorite show! Please, please no.

42. ann says:

Dear NBC,
    Now I fully understand why you are a fourth-place network. You’re keeping the utter drivel that is Whitney on the air, but are ‘temporarily’ pulling Community? If that isn’t sacrificing quality for cheap, inferior quantity, then I don’t know what is. You’re minutes away from kissing loyal viewers goodbye and you don’t even realize. Shame on you!

43. Ramc says:

They can’t cancel the best show on tv!

44. Anon says:

I HATE YOU NBC! I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. dave says:

forget the damn ratings NBC, people watch stuff on the computer…

46. Whitney says:

What is wrong with NBC? I know I’ll never get the true answer,but still!? Benching Community? They’re not doing that show justice! I don’t watch anything else on NBC except my local news,and this will just re-affirm my logic that NBC is ran by a bunch of bigoted suits who have no idea what funny is unless there’s thousands of dollars stuck up their noses.

47. Winston says:

Community needs to be on tv, or I’m probably gonna boycott all NBC shows

48. Thom says:

no no no…

Community is one the best TV Comedies of all time.
    It is the only show I watch on a major tv network…

49. Aly says:

Community is the best. The best what, you say? The best everything. Fact. The world needs it.