NBC Midseason Shake-Up: Community Benched, Plus Three Shows on the Move

That’s good news for Up All Night, but bad news for Community.

For starters, the Peacock is moving Up All Night to Thursdays at 9:30/8:30c following The Office beginning Jan. 12. The deteriorating Whitney will take over Night‘s former Wednesday lead-off spot on Jan. 11, where it will be paired with new sitcom Are You There, Chelsea?

Critical fave Community is being benched to make way for the return of 30 Rock on Thursday, Jan. 12 at 8/7c. An NBC source insists the show is just taking a breather and has not been canceled. Still, I have to ask: Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?

Elsewhere…

*Harry’s Law is relocating to Sundays at 8/7c beginning March 4.

* New drama The Firm will replace DOA rookie drama Prime Suspect on Thursdays at 10/9.

* Beginning Friday, Feb. 3, Who Do You Think You Are? takes over for Chuck, which will conclude its five-season run with a two-hour finale on January 27 at 8/7c.

* Parenthood‘s season finale airs Feb. 28. The new Elle Macpherson-hosted reality series Fashion Star assumes the Tuesday at 10/9c timeslot in March.

* Noticeably MIA: Buzzy new drama Awake, which recently went on a production hiatus to deal with some pressing creative issues.

The Peacock’s complete midseason schedule is below…

MONDAY
8/7c The Voice
10 pm SMASH

TUESDAY
8 pm The Biggest Loser
10 pm Parenthood (until Feb. 28)
10 pm FASHION STAR

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Whitney [new time slot]
8:30 pm ARE YOU THERE, CHELSEA?
9 pm Rock Center with Brian Williams [new time slot]

THURSDAY
8 pm 30 Rock [new time slot]
8:30 pm Parks and Recreation
9 pm The Office
9:30 pm Up All Night [new time slot]
10 THE FIRM

FRIDAY
8 pm Who Do You Think You Are?
9 pm Grimm
10 pm Dateline NBC

SATURDAY
Repeats “Encore programming”

SUNDAY
7 pm Dateline
8 pm Harry’s Law [new time slot]
9 pm The Celebrity Apprentice

Comments (511)

• YAWN…

Comment by TheReasonsY – November 14, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the worst decision! Of all time! EVER!!!!!

Comment by Chris Walker – November 14, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is unacceptable. Community is my favorite show and the perfect lead in for The office and Parks and Rec. It only needs for Season to complete its story. :(

Comment by Lucy – November 14, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually enjoy both Whitney and Community, even though I may be one the few. I hope they both stay on NBC because they’re the only two I actually enjoy.

Comment by Lydia – November 14, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …Who even watches Whitney?

Comment by :/ – November 14, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC is out of their damn minds. Keeping Whitney and benching Community is the dumbest thing they have ever done. It’s mind boggling.

Comment by Brittany – November 14, 2011 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC?! What what what are you doing?! Community is gone while Whitney remains? This is so streets behind. Disagree with this decision. Community is one of the funniest and smartest shows out there.

Comment by Rachael Wilkinson – November 14, 2011 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fact that Community has been removed from the schedule is a travesty. Especially considering that unfunny, juvenile crap like Whitney still remains.

Comment by C – November 14, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “NBC is making some significant midseason scheduling changes in an effort to jump-start what has been a lackluster season so far.”

Except that Community is ever growing and improving and has had such a consistently good run so far this season. Scrapping it now would stop something at the height of its greatness.

Comment by Cody – November 14, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only reason I am watching NBC right now is Community. The Office has gone completely south, they’re bringing in shows like Whitney, and this network is becoming worthless. If Community is gone, I’m gone.

Comment by anabell – November 14, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t scrap Community. NBC, you’re breaking my heart. You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

Comment by MAD – November 14, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This is the worst news on TV since ABC decided to put Cougar Town in midseason.
    I need Abed in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Paula – November 14, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the hell is going on, why is there no Community? D: They better not be thinking of cancelling it D:

Comment by orchis – November 14, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The answer to your question (“Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?”) is a resounding NO.
    You can tell how terrible Whitney is just from the promos. STOP THE MADNESS!

Comment by Kaitlin – November 14, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We need to save Community, TROBED needs us.

Comment by Paula – November 14, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There used to be a graying tower alone on the sea.
    You became the light on the dark side of me.
    Love remained a drug that’s the high and not the pill.
    But did you know,
    That when it snows,
    My eyes become large and
    The light that you shine can be seen.
    Baby,
    I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
    Ooh,
    The more I get of you,
    The stranger it feels, yeah.
    And now that your rose is in bloom.
    A light hits the gloom on the gray.
    There is so much a man can tell you,
    So much he can say.
    You remain,
    My power, my pleasure, my pain, baby
    To me you’re like a growing addiction that I can’t deny.
    Won’t you tell me is that healthy, baby?
    But did you know,
    That when it snows,
    My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen.
    Baby,
    I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
    Ooh, the more I get of you
    The stranger it feels, yeah
    Now that your rose is in bloom.
    A light hits the gloom on the gray,
    I’ve been kissed by a rose on the gray,
    I’ve been kissed by a rose
    I’ve been kissed by a rose on the gray,
    …And if I should fall along the way
    I’ve been kissed by a rose
    …been kissed by a rose on the gray.
    There is so much a man can tell you,
    So much he can say.
    You remain
    My power, my pleasure, my pain.
    To me you’re like a growing addiction that I can’t deny, yeah
    Won’t you tell me is that healthy, baby.
    But did you know,
    That when it snows,
    My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen.
    Baby,
    I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
    Ooh, the more I get of you
    The stranger it feels, yeah
    Now that your rose is in bloom,
    A light hits the gloom on the gray.
    Yes I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray
    Ooh, the more I get of you
    The stranger it feels, yeah
    And now that your rose is in bloom
    A light hits the gloom on the gray
    Now that your rose is in bloom,
    A light hits the gloom on the gray.

Save Community

Comment by Save Community By Spreading Kiss From A Rose Lyricys Everywhere. – November 14, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There used to be a graying tower alone on the sea.
    You became the light on the dark side of me.
    Love remained a drug that’s the high and not the pill.
    But did you know,
    That when it snows,
    My eyes become large and
    The light that you shine can be seen.
    Baby,
    I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
    Ooh,
    The more I get of you,
    The stranger it feels, yeah.
    And now that your rose is in bloom.
    A light hits the gloom on the gray.
    There is so much a man can tell you,
    So much he can say.
    You remain,
    My power, my pleasure, my pain, baby
    To me you’re like a growing addiction that I can’t deny.
    Won’t you tell me is that healthy, baby?
    But did you know,
    That when it snows,
    My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen.
    Baby,
    I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
    Ooh, the more I get of you
    The stranger it feels, yeah
    Now that your rose is in bloom.
    A light hits the gloom on the gray,
    I’ve been kissed by a rose on the gray,
    I’ve been kissed by a rose
    I’ve been kissed by a rose on the gray,
    …And if I should fall along the way
    I’ve been kissed by a rose
    …been kissed by a rose on the gray.
    There is so much a man can tell you,
    So much he can say.
    You remain
    My power, my pleasure, my pain.
    To me you’re like a growing addiction that I can’t deny, yeah
    Won’t you tell me is that healthy, baby.
    But did you know,
    That when it snows,
    My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen.
    Baby,
    I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
    Ooh, the more I get of you
    The stranger it feels, yeah
    Now that your rose is in bloom,
    A light hits the gloom on the gray.
    Yes I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray
    Ooh, the more I get of you
    The stranger it feels, yeah
    And now that your rose is in bloom
    A light hits the gloom on the gray
    Now that your rose is in bloom,
    A light hits the gloom on the gray.

Comment by Seal – November 14, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Save Community: Spread Kiss From A rose

Comment by Seal – November 14, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so disappointed about nbc’s decision to shelve Community. I think the network is making a mistake. I love thirty rock but not to the extent that i’d be willing to have it replace my favorite show. damn you nbc. *shakes fist*

Comment by Donna – November 14, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is just the worst move NBC could do! Community is one of the greatest television shows on air. Witty and hysterical, its comedy is one of kind and the worst part about benching such an amazing show is that they’re still going to air Whitney (and the sure-to-fail Are You There, Chelsea?)!

Comment by Reg – November 14, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that’s a huge mistake! let community on, please! i’m from brazil and i really love it! every single episode and every single carachter… please, do not cancel community! a lot of fans will suffer :(

Comment by Nádia Peres Machado de Oliveira – November 14, 2011 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG, i can not believe you’re canceling community!!!! that’s the currently best show! you’re gonna regret it D:

Comment by monica – November 14, 2011 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • don’t be dumb NBC Community is the best show on air don’t get rid of it

Comment by Holden Caulfield – November 14, 2011 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Phood’s season finale in February?

Comment by Amy – November 14, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community better come back or I will start an Occupy NBC. The fact that Whitney actually got picked up for a full season is such a joke. Everyone, find a petition, link it, sing it, pass it. That’s all I can say. Oh, and if you see Dan Harmon, give him a hug and let him know that this show really is loved by many. >_< /angry.

Comment by Jimmothy R – November 14, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that’s awful, dude. community needs to stay ON! i’m really disappointed with nbc, seriously

Comment by mark – November 14, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC. Look at your life, look at your choices. Community is way funnier than Whitney and smarter too. Please don’t make this huge mistake.

Comment by DaDa – November 14, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without Community, there’s only one show left on NBC that I even watch (Grimm). Not much of a point to even turn to that channel now.

Comment by kris – November 14, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The thought of NBC keeping Whitney and cancelling Community is enough to make me physically ill. Even Awake can’t make up for this mess.

Comment by Maddie – November 14, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If NBC cancels Community then my faith in that network will die as well. It’s so frustrating how such a brilliant show, who’s having such creatively awesome season, is being shelved and ignored.

Comment by nechoplex – November 14, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT! I can’t even.
    I always had a feeling that Community might get canceled (the best shows always seem to be cut short). But IF it does get canceled, we can be hopeful that a network smarter than NBC will pick it up.

Comment by Mandy – November 14, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community is the first show that has made me laugh until I can’t breathe since Arrested Development.

Please don’t cancel this show. It would be such an awful mistake!!

Comment by Jane – November 14, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Whitney” should be cancelled. It’s awful. I saw the original pilot of “..Chelsea” and it was even worse than “Whitney.” I’m a fan of “Chelsea Lately” but I couldn’t stand Chelsea playing her “sister” or Laura Prepon as Chelsea.

“Community” had better not get cancelled. But it’s on NBC, and they don’t have the best record of making good decisions. Proof is that they’re bringing back “Celebrity Apprentice” and its ignorant blowhard host, Don Trump.

Comment by maggie – November 14, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do they put EVERYTHING decent on Thursday nights? Like seriously? Up All Night against Grey’s and Bones. I have years invested in those two shows. Up All Night is funny and I enjoy it, but it’s going to be an on demand show from now on.

Comment by Mia – November 14, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so disappointed in NBC pushing back Community. Seriously? Such a bad decision.

Comment by booyounbc – November 14, 2011 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t expect *good* decisions from NBC anymore, but I had hope Community would stay on Thursdays, since it fit well w/ 30 Rock. Don’t know what “up all night” will add to Thurs. nite.

Comment by jen – November 14, 2011 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Community gets cancelled, I don’t know what NBC will really have going for them. Please, please, PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL one of the most intelligent, innovative HILARIOUS shows ever in existence for the sake of another flimsy formulaic sit com.
    PLEASE.

Comment by Ness – November 14, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could echo all of the many great points I have heard tonight, but I would like to say that Community is the reason I have started looking forward to watching a show again. There are smart people with two brain cells left to rub together who like to watch TV and I speak for most of us when I plead for NBC to not give into the temptation to cater to the lowest common denominator. If you want to see the same insipid crap played out every week that you are currently getting from Whitney – just watch her stand up. A note: we cannot all be Seinfeld nor should anyone else try. Ever.

The actors, the storylines, the jokes and the writing on Community are, for lack of a better term, “Streets Ahead.” I don’t want to see it get bulldozed by one dimensional garbage. I will not go back to falling in love with a TV show after this happened to Arrested Development. It is not worth watching TV anymore if you’re operating at above a 2nd grade level.

Comment by Cait – November 14, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, just no. They’re really benching Community. Really? I don’t have words for my outrage. I love that show to pieces. Every episode is clever and witty and hilarious. I hope Community realizes how many people are outraged about this.

Comment by Lauren Milliken – November 14, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they’re benching Community. It’s literally my favorite show on T.V. and I will hold a grudge against NBC forever if it gets cancelled.

Comment by Natalie – November 14, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please use different wordage for the title of the link to this article. “NBC Pulls Community” gives me anxiety every time I see it. How about “The greatest modern sitcom takes a short break to help fix the Neilsen Ratings problem so we can see that in actuality nearly 10 million people are watching a week.”

Comment by Brad – November 14, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY? PLEASE NO NOT COMMUNITY! It’s my favorite show! It’s all my friends’ favorite show! Please, please no.

Comment by Megan – November 14, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear NBC,
    Now I fully understand why you are a fourth-place network. You’re keeping the utter drivel that is Whitney on the air, but are ‘temporarily’ pulling Community? If that isn’t sacrificing quality for cheap, inferior quantity, then I don’t know what is. You’re minutes away from kissing loyal viewers goodbye and you don’t even realize. Shame on you!

Comment by ann – November 14, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They can’t cancel the best show on tv!

Comment by Ramc – November 14, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I HATE YOU NBC! I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Anon – November 14, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • forget the damn ratings NBC, people watch stuff on the computer…

Comment by dave – November 14, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is wrong with NBC? I know I’ll never get the true answer,but still!? Benching Community? They’re not doing that show justice! I don’t watch anything else on NBC except my local news,and this will just re-affirm my logic that NBC is ran by a bunch of bigoted suits who have no idea what funny is unless there’s thousands of dollars stuck up their noses.

Comment by Whitney – November 14, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community needs to be on tv, or I’m probably gonna boycott all NBC shows

Comment by Winston – November 14, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no no no…

Community is one the best TV Comedies of all time.
    It is the only show I watch on a major tv network…

Comment by Thom – November 14, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community is the best. The best what, you say? The best everything. Fact. The world needs it.

Comment by Aly – November 14, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post