NBC Midseason Shake-Up: Community Benched, Plus Three Shows on the Move

NBC is making some significant midseason scheduling changes in an effort to jump-start what has been a lackluster season so far.

That’s good news for Up All Night, but bad news for Community.

For starters, the Peacock is moving Up All Night to Thursdays at 9:30/8:30c following The Office beginning Jan. 12. The deteriorating Whitney will take over Night‘s former Wednesday lead-off spot on Jan. 11, where it will be paired with new sitcom Are You There, Chelsea?

Critical fave Community is being benched to make way for the return of 30 Rock on Thursday, Jan. 12 at 8/7c. An NBC source insists the show is just taking a breather and has not been canceled. Still, I have to ask: Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?

Elsewhere…

*Harry’s Law is relocating to Sundays at 8/7c beginning March 4.

* New drama The Firm will replace DOA rookie drama Prime Suspect on Thursdays at 10/9.

* Beginning Friday, Feb. 3, Who Do You Think You Are? takes over for Chuck, which will conclude its five-season run with a two-hour finale on January 27 at 8/7c.

* Parenthood‘s season finale airs Feb. 28. The new Elle Macpherson-hosted reality series Fashion Star assumes the Tuesday at 10/9c timeslot in March.

* Noticeably MIA: Buzzy new drama Awake, which recently went on a production hiatus to deal with some pressing creative issues.

The Peacock’s complete midseason schedule is below…

MONDAY
8/7c The Voice
10 pm SMASH

TUESDAY
8 pm The Biggest Loser
10 pm Parenthood (until Feb. 28)
10 pm FASHION STAR

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Whitney [new time slot]
8:30 pm ARE YOU THERE, CHELSEA?
9 pm Rock Center with Brian Williams [new time slot]

THURSDAY
8 pm 30 Rock [new time slot]
8:30 pm Parks and Recreation
9 pm The Office
9:30 pm Up All Night [new time slot]
10 THE FIRM

FRIDAY
8 pm Who Do You Think You Are?
9 pm Grimm
10 pm Dateline NBC

SATURDAY
Repeats “Encore programming”

SUNDAY
7 pm Dateline
8 pm Harry’s Law [new time slot]
9 pm The Celebrity Apprentice

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: News, Scheduling News, Winter TV Preview

1. Annabelle says:

It’s time to lay The Office to rest…and let Community shine!!! I will boycott NBC if Whitney stays on and Cummunity gets canceled; would be another bonehead move by the peacocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Carmichael says:

> Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?

No I really don’t. I also don’t want to live in a world where Up All
    Night remains on the schedule but Community doesn’t. Come on NBC, put Whitney out of its misery and end ours incurred by knowing it’s still on

3. Captkirk says:

After checking out the changes the only bad thing there is the move of Harrys Law. Sundays have usually been the death of series. As far as the comedy goes I gave up watching it years ago when the studios started dubbing in canned laughter. Do they really think we need that to tell whether or not a show is funny? Feel they are reaching to to the masses using cue cards laugh now that was funny. You guys want that then go back to filming before a live audience – lets see what these actors and writers are made of.

4. AJL says:

YES!!! 30 Rock + Parks and Recreation makes it the best hour of comedy for me.

Even though I do not personally enjoy Community, I hate to see quality TV pushed around.

5. Madmac says:

So my exodus from broadcast tv continues. Hello BBC America, AMC, FX, etc. bye NBC

6. bob says:

i must have done something really wrong in a past life to have to experience a time in television when cougar town, community, and 30 rock won’t be on the air at the same time. i apologize to everyone who must suffer because of my actions. womp.

7. Sean says:

I like Community and Whitney, but Community a bit more

8. Brad says:

Community fans, yes it sucks but the reason the ratings are so low for this show is it has limited appeal.

9. Ana Muller says:

I just made the same face as Jeff in the picture while reading this news.

10. Sadie says:

I agree, Ausiello!! I cannot live in an NBC world that keeps Whitney on the schedule but excludes Community! What are they thinking??

11. M says:

This is jst so unfair. Community is a good show. Jst cancel Whitney and do us all a favor. I tried watching Whitney and is jst nt fun

12. Fibs says:

GRRRRRRR

Community is not cancelled, that’s good news. I think it’s a good thing that 30 Rock takes its time slot, cause Community is airing at the same time than TBBT, which is a more popular show (not in my heart of course), so it was stealing all the audience, and 30 rock is excellent, it’s the only show which can take back TBBT audience.

Community needs to be moved to another time slot, where it could gather more and more fans, because it is just on the best comedy show ever made!!!!

PS: I’m french, so sorry if I made mistakes ;)

13. Cat says:

i finally get my cougar town back midseason and now I lose community. BOOO!!

14. NBCsucks says:

If Community gets cancelled I will have no reason to watch NBC anymore. Why are they bringing back 30 Rock, it’s been done to death.

• Nope says:

Nope. Nope. Nope. Community + 30 Rock + Parks And Rec + The Office + Up All Night – Whitney = NBC not being tardcakes.

• Carmichael says:

You know, that’s one thing I can’t quite wrap my head around, what exactly was wrong with the ‘six comedies on Thursday’ thing they tried? Get rid of that Fashion Star thing or Rock Center and then voila a spot for Community opens up. They could even cut Rock Center down to half an hour and I think the only person that would care would be Brian Williams

15. Mark says:

This is the network that still airs Dateline twice a week, thinks Brian Williams should be on primetime television, has two shows on the winter lineup in the forum of a question (Who do you think you are?, Are you there, Chelsea?) and keeps bringing back to Donald Trump for the most faux of all the “reality” shows on TV.

How are people still surprised and disappointed by anything it does?

16. mm says:

Community reminds me of Nikita. 2 great shows that r under appreciated by their networks. (aware that they r 2 different types of shows) Btw if Community wins the tv guide fan favorites cover NCB WILL LOOK LIKE IDIOTS 4 BENCHING IT

17. R. Gorman says:

STOP!! moving programs around every few weeks. Even if people like the show it’s hard to keep up with all the new times and days.

18. Amy says:

Please don’t cancel it just yet. I think i’m gonna cry :’(

19. Ant says:

Only show that I will watch is Grimm, I am guessing SVU will be on at 10:00pm on Wednesday?

20. Karen says:

What the frack?!? Why Community??? I swear NBC ruins everything.

21. Sarah says:

First How I Met Your Mother breaks my wee baby heart, and then I come to find some GOOD TV news and am met by THIS?! What the hell, NBC? What. the. hell.

22. Richard says:

Well, so much for “Up All Night” for me, I can only record two shows at a time and my 9 – 10 on Thursday is set for “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Bones”.

• NP says:

I was waiting for someone to point out that this was a bad move for Up All Night. Thursdays at 9 are already double booked (Bones and Grey’s) and I won’t give up an hour long drama for a half hour sitcom.

Up All Night had a great time slot. Wednesdays are dead until 10. I could watch Up All Night then head to ABC for Suburgatory

• tp says:

Same thing I was thinking. I already had to stop watching Person of Interest because Bones came back on. Now no Up All Night.

23. topoopon says:

Give me some rope
    Tie me to to dream
    Give me the hope
    To run out of steam
    Somebody said
    It can be here
    We could be roped up, tied up
    Dead in a year
    I can’t count the reasons I should stay
    One by one they all just fade away

24. BeachBum says:

Wow…I just looked at that entire week of NBC programming and with a few minor exceptions it is mostly crap. No wonder NBC is sinking faster than the Titanic.

25. Angie says:

No, I don’t want to live in a world withouth Community! Please NBC, dont cancel it!!!!

26. ZB says:

Maybe ABC saves Community and next year schedules it with Cougar Town. That would be nice.:)

27. jens says:

Everyone is upset about Community. I am worried about Parenthood. Will it be back next season? Our family LOVES this show and will be very disappointed if it does not come back.

28. Simon says:

Ughhhh! I loathe u NBC, although I’m thinking maybe NBC is doing this because they know Whiney will soon die a horrible death and Chelsea Handlers show will BOMB right out of the gate…they can cancell one or both of them and relaunch Community on wednesdays! I still have hope that Community will survive!

29. andy says:

Ugh just awful news. I wish Parks and Rec wasn’t on NBC, cause then I could boycott this horrible horrible network.

30. Sfm says:

NBC is simply stupid for cancelling Community, and not to mention keeping Whitney over it, this is the saddest news I’ve heard in a long time…

31. Amy says:

How can they bench Community??? It is a sad world where Whitney is still on, but Community is not. Bad move, NBC, bad move.

32. Quinn says:

Community makes me laugh so much. I always look forward to it making me feel better after being stressed out from the demands of graduate school all week. Can it please be brought back? PLEASE?

33. Kristen says:

No. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

34. Todd says:

Whitney is one of the worst shows on television. It’s super trite and unoriginal. Bench it.

Community on the other hand? Hilarious, refreshing, unique.

NBC? You’re doing it wrong.

35. Elyse says:

This news about Community is just awful. I sure hope NBC realizes that it’s alienating a lot of people by doing this.

36. Ashley says:

The idea of Community going off air is not pleasant, not in the slightest bit. It’s a wonderful show! It really is. And keeping Whitney on air but not Community is so completely ridiculous, ugh.

37. BeachBum says:

2 hours for that tired Biggest Loser? Drop the bomb on that loser.

38. Robin says:

I agree, I don’t want to live in a world with Whitney, but without Community. It’s just not right.

39. Elizabeth says:

This is so disappointing. I know that it’s not canceled yet, but it’s seems very unlikely that it will come back after this. Community is probably the best show on the air right now.

40. Renee says:

Looking at that list, the only show I watch on NBC is Grimm. And I watched those 2 episodes online.

41. Chantel says:

Seriously NBC?! Never mind the fact that ‘Whitney’ is still going to be on, why is ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ coming back? Community may not have the ratings you want but it’s pretty clear how much the fans of this show love it after the responses we are posting all over the internet tonight.

42. ELS says:

Let’s just keep Community on-air. We need to get more people hooked to it!

43. Tori Wood says:

Love this article. Not the content, obviously, but how you told it. Anyways, I was heartbroken to hear this. Whitney is god awful, sexist humour and I just hope that it will be cancelled and Community can replace it’s time slot.

44. Jenn Zee says:

A world without Community would be a world in which I pretty much don’t ever watch NBC.

It’s definitely my favorite show on TV right now…it definitely blows Whitney out of the water…and in my opinion, it’s surpassed The Office in consistent humor now too.

45. Alyssa says:

Looking forward Smash and The Firm. And The Voice of course.
    And keep watching Grimm,

46. allamericankid says:

COMMUNITY!!! SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!!!! come on NBC you are streets behind!! #occupynbc

47. Julie says:

Why is Community being pulled? It’s such a good show! It may not be super popular, but maybe it needs a better time slot? I mean, t’s CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED, guys. People love this show. And while Whitney may be “popular” I doubt people will miss it as much as Community fans will miss Community.

Stop the bench! Bring it back!

Six seasons and a movie!

48. Jordan says:

So they keep Whitney, and they kill Community? IDIOTS.

49. Community is hands down the best comedy on tv right now. One of the best shows in general, in ages. It’s rewriting the rules for a 20-minute single camera sitcom, it has a very devoted fanbase, and it gets critics all moist. All for good reason. NBC would have to be complete idiots not to let Community run it’s natural 4 year course. Or, better yet, six seasons and a movie.

50. Emily says:

Are you kidding me? NBC are you really going to keep crap like Whitney on and cancel Community? You’re making the same mistake Fox made with Arrested Development! I’m so glad to see that laugh track shows like Whitney continue to dominate prime time tv while shows like Community, that are actually funny, get scrapped!

6 SEASONS AND A MOVIE!!!