NBC Midseason Shake-Up: Community Benched, Plus Three Shows on the Move

NBC is making some significant midseason scheduling changes in an effort to jump-start what has been a lackluster season so far.

That’s good news for Up All Night, but bad news for Community.

For starters, the Peacock is moving Up All Night to Thursdays at 9:30/8:30c following The Office beginning Jan. 12. The deteriorating Whitney will take over Night‘s former Wednesday lead-off spot on Jan. 11, where it will be paired with new sitcom Are You There, Chelsea?

Critical fave Community is being benched to make way for the return of 30 Rock on Thursday, Jan. 12 at 8/7c. An NBC source insists the show is just taking a breather and has not been canceled. Still, I have to ask: Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?

Elsewhere…

*Harry’s Law is relocating to Sundays at 8/7c beginning March 4.

* New drama The Firm will replace DOA rookie drama Prime Suspect on Thursdays at 10/9.

* Beginning Friday, Feb. 3, Who Do You Think You Are? takes over for Chuck, which will conclude its five-season run with a two-hour finale on January 27 at 8/7c.

* Parenthood‘s season finale airs Feb. 28. The new Elle Macpherson-hosted reality series Fashion Star assumes the Tuesday at 10/9c timeslot in March.

* Noticeably MIA: Buzzy new drama Awake, which recently went on a production hiatus to deal with some pressing creative issues.

The Peacock’s complete midseason schedule is below…

MONDAY
8/7c The Voice
10 pm SMASH

TUESDAY
8 pm The Biggest Loser
10 pm Parenthood (until Feb. 28)
10 pm FASHION STAR

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Whitney [new time slot]
8:30 pm ARE YOU THERE, CHELSEA?
9 pm Rock Center with Brian Williams [new time slot]

THURSDAY
8 pm 30 Rock [new time slot]
8:30 pm Parks and Recreation
9 pm The Office
9:30 pm Up All Night [new time slot]
10 THE FIRM

FRIDAY
8 pm Who Do You Think You Are?
9 pm Grimm
10 pm Dateline NBC

SATURDAY
Repeats “Encore programming”

SUNDAY
7 pm Dateline
8 pm Harry’s Law [new time slot]
9 pm The Celebrity Apprentice

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: News, Scheduling News, Winter TV Preview

1. Carol C says:

I’m sorry to see Prime Suspect missing. I know the numbers were low, but it’s one of my favourites of the new shows.

2. tulip says:

I don’t want to live on this planet anymore. Community is 1000 times better than Whitney and Up All Night combined.

3. Psiqueue says:

::starts making the Abed freak out noise when he learned Cougar Town was delayed::

Oh you have GOT to be kidding me. The Office is the WORSE it has been in YEARS- am about ready to write it off as regular viewing. (Pam and Jim are married; Michael is gone. What other reasons could there be to watch the show still…).
    Or better yet, if NBC wants to try something RADICAL, alternate weeks for shows like The Office and Parks and Rec- Week 1, The Office; Week 2- Parks and Rec; Week 3- the Office… and so on.

And worse- bumping Community for while means NO NEW INSPECTOR SPACETIME FOR ME!!!

4. Marvin says:

Good job “benching” your best show, guys.

• Jon says:

Wasn’t cutting it in the ratings, money talks

• umadbro? says:

Actually, Community was doing fine in the ratings when you look at the demo (not just the over). Is it a HUGE ratings grabber like TBBT? No. Then again, none of NBC’s shows are. Unlike some of NBC’s other middling to low rated shows, however, Community holds a consistent viewership in the coveted “younger” demographic, so benching it (which is often a precursor to cancellation, which is why people are so upset) is not necessarily the best idea from a business standpoint. They should move it to a different time where it could shine, instead of trying to get it to compete with TBBT.

• umadbro? says:

Ack! That first set of parentheses should say “not just the overall ratings.” Even though it’s Tuesday, I’m having a serious case of the Mondays.

5. Pete says:

Please bring back Community!! This is so depressing. That is the only show I watch anymore.

6. Justin f says:

Where’s Awake?

7. Arthur Jefferson says:

Who gives a #%&@ about 30 ROCK? It draws minimal ratings, includes one of the most unappealing casts on prime time and is little more than an NBC vanity project. COMMUNITY rocks, it’s creative, it’s experimental (the Dungeons ‘n’ Dragons episode is absolute classic television). I’m abandoning NBC in favor of an Anchorage, Alaska TV test pattern.

8. Scout says:

It’s a double blow to those of us whose two favorite shows are Cougar Town and Community (yes, we do exist).

9. TigerNightmare says:

Whitney must die.

10. whitneyfan says:

I think Whitney is funny. I’ve never figured out why people like community. Up all night is not as good as I thought it would be.

11. SP says:

SCREW WHITNEY!!! #SaveCommunity !!!!

12. Urhrhddh says:

@whitneyfan You need to be put to sleep.

13. kevin says:

Looks like NBC continues to have night-by-night scheduling problems and Bob Greenblatt is the man who’s running out of ideas here. Can’t wait for the return of THE VOICE debuting after the Super Bowl but I’ll still watch PARENTHOOD when their season ends February 28th and I still don’t know why NBC left out their new drama series AWAKE and it could be the end for PRIME SUSPECT destined to be canceled.

14. Nicole says:

While I’m glad Grimm is still on the sked, it really should be moved to a better night where it’s not splitting its audience with Fringe and Supernatural. It deserves a shot to grow!

15. Jessica says:

Why does NBC hate Parenthood. This is by far the best season, and yet we only get episodes until the end of Feb? I am so sick of all of the networks having reality show boners. I would rather watch scripted tv any day of the week.

• Annie says:

I totally agree with you Jessica, I am disappointed NBC has chosen to end Parenthoods season so early in favour of a show with a has been supermodel, that will probably only make it 2 weeks before they decide to cancel it.
      30 Rock at 8pm means not sure about that either, then again if I was running NBC there isn’t a snowballs chance in hell Whitney would have been picked up for a full season.
      On a positive note I am looking forward to seeing the new show Smash w/Debra Messing.

16. Michael says:

They are doing it again. I hate tv. Freaking love community lol hilarious and it’s being BENCHED!!!!!! WHY?

17. Andrew Williams says:

Wait, so have they cancelled Prime Suspect or not? Cause I kinda dig that show, but I’ve heard it hasn’t been doing so well in the raitings. I’d just like to know if I should give up or is there is still a chance.

18. Esther says:

“Let’s pause for a second while I pose this provocative question: Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?”

NOOOOOOOOO. *echoes throughout the globe*. Whitney is so AWFUL! Community needs the exposure, are they trying to kill it?!

19. heath says:

I think its good for community, hopefully when it comes back it will not be at 8 against big bang. 30 rock will finally be exposed for the crap it is Thursdays at 8 against big bang. No way it gets over a 1.5 in the demo

20. Nancy says:

No Community? This is the worst news I’ve heard all TV season. C’mon America, smarten up and recognize comedic gold when it’s staring you in the face!

21. Allie says:

I would just like to express the fact that I have officially lost all faith in humanity. To have a show as brilliantly hilarious as Community be benched for the likes of 30 Rock? To have this show be the one to suffer poor ratings when it is obviously superior to its colleauges? If Community is cancelled, then there is really no hope for American television – especially in comedy. Community is one of the best comedy shows currently airing and definitely the best on network television. If it is cancelled, there really is no justice in this world.

22. Evelyn says:

So what does this mean for community? Will it be returning in the summer or what? Sad because I just started watching this show- all the episodes in the last week. Brilliant show!! :(

23. Kevin says:

they should keep Up All Night on Wednesdays and get rid of the stupid Rock Center thing and put Whitney there too.. leave Community alone, it’s one of the few good shows NBC has. 30 Rock at 8/7c is a bad idea

24. Dallas says:

SVU with Rock Center as a lead in. No happy.
    I hope Harry’s Law to do better on Sundays, I love that show.

25. ANS0N1 says:

So far this season, I’ve lost most of my interest in Community and that rarely happens with a tv show I like. So would I rather them keep Whitney and cancel Community? Based on this season alone, my answer would easily be yes, but I think both will likely be canceled.

• umadbro? says:

This just really surprises me. I’m not trying to be elitist – if people love Whitney, more power to them. But how many shows exactly like Whitney do we have to have on television? Whether it’s your cup of tea or not, there’s no denying that Community is innovative, and it’s sad to me that this type of creativity has a hard time finding a broader audience. It’s like Arrested Development all over again. That being said, as I said in my response to Jon, because Community has a dedicated weekly audience and DOES do well with the ever pursued “young” demographic, benching it (and, God forbid, canceling it) wouldn’t really solve anything, and it would be a terrible business decision.

26. Chris says:

Community is basically the only NBC show I actually like. If NBC wants to get rid of a show, it should be Whitney. Whitney is HORRIBLE!

27. Rowan says:

Officially unhappy with NBC – still. I concede that Community’s third season has been more hit-and-miss than usual (this has always been an uneven show), but it’s still the best sitcom on TV. No one is doing such surreal and absurdist fare. If they can just keep the quality on a more even scale, there is no reason this show has to go the way of the dodo.

28. Liz says:

I just don’t get what NBC is doing. I just don’t get it. Someone explain the insanity.

29. Carrie says:

Well, “Up All Night” is certainly an improvement. I have no desire to watch “Whitney”. I prefer “30 Rock”, but I’m a little bummed “Community” is being benched. It’s a good show and I don’t know why people aren’t watching. I guess you can’t really blame NBC, since the ratings are terrible. I hope the show is renewed for another season, though.

• Holly says:

I’m not sure the ratings are all that worse than anything else they try to put in that particular timeslot. TBBT owns that slot and programming similar fare (i.e. comedies) is basically the death knell of NBC’s demo.

30. Doug says:

The last season of 30 Rock was by far it’s weakest to date, so NBC decides to pull one of the best shows going for it. That makes perfect sense.

31. Diana says:

Realllly not happy with Community going on a break. NBC’s best show. Don’t understand why more people don’t watch it.

32. JeffFan says:

I don’t understand–NBC has a great line up: Community, Parks and Rec, the Office and 30 Rock–yet they don’t want to air them all at the same time. Last season Parks and Rec took half a season off, this season 30 Rock took half a season off and now Community only gets half a season?! This is ridiculous. I think Up all Night fits better on Thursday than Whitney did–but why are they messing with an amazing line-up–BRING COMMUNITY BACK! I can only hope they cancel Whitney or “ARE YOU THERE, CHELSEA” bombs so they can fill that slot with Community–one of the best shows on TV.

33. Lorie says:

WTH?! I can’t believe NBC benches Community, yet keeps Whitney (which is HORRIBLE!!!).

34. Mel says:

NBC – WAKE UP!!!!! NOBODY LIKES THE SHOW WHITNEY!!!!!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IT’S AWFUL AND SO NOT FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!

35. Franko says:

Seriously, a FULL SEASON for Harry’s Law, yet Parenthood has only 18 episodes?! Come on NBC, where’s the logic in that???!

36. K. says:

This is the worst news ever!!!!! Bring back Community! Nobody watch Whitney and they have to bring back Community. Grrrrr.

37. WHAT?!?! says:

Seriously – Whitney?!?!?!? UGH this show is terrible!! NBC WAKE UP!!!

38. bernie says:

Wow besides 30 rock I will not watch NBC nights leave Community ALONE BEST SHOW ON THE NETWORK SINCE FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS WENT OFF. Maybe Jeff Zucker wasn’t the problem but the man that keeped this network in check hope he kills it with Katie Couric

39. Sg. Grant says:

Someone track down an address. We need to start sending boxes of purple pens to the exec and save Community.

• Liz says:

I’m in, just say the word. Can we get some advice from the Save Chuck crew? I don’t know the details, just that it happened and they got results.
      Anyone?

• Rebecca says:

It didn’t work, as we kept getting half season crap and whatnot. We got sponsors like Subway and stuff. And I’m still livid over not getting a full 5th season. -_-

40. Suzanne says:

Go to nbc.com/contact to voice your disappointment at pulling Community. It only takes a couple of minutes. They need to read these comments.

41. tim says:

Awesome! That poor excuse for a show “whitney” should be cancelled. The creator of the series should also be fired to ensure no other future mistakes like “whitney” ever make it to television.

42. Chris says:

First they end Chuck and now they bench Community?!? TOO FAR, NBC! TOO FAR!!

43. smiley says:

I must like crap, ‘cos I like Whitney. I think I’m alone now. . .

44. Stephanie says:

This is TOTAL SHENANIGANS. Community is a brilliant show and it deserves to run its proper course. I’m really disappointed and upset that NBC isn’t giving it a chance. If anyone reading this has Twitter, please include #savecommunity in your next tweet – maybe if we get it trending, those schmucks will realize fans want this series around.

45. Mayday says:

Cannot believe NBC cancelled Prime Suspect. Only decent drama on tv. If they cancel Harry’s Law, I am gone from NBC. Why keep that mindless stuff and cancel the good stuff? Pretty soon, I won’t even need a tv.

46. Tania says:

I went through something similar with “Life”. Now I feel that NBC is going to kill another quality program in “Prime Suspect”. Why do I even bother? Why do people gravitate to subpar programs?

47. erin says:

Up All Night was just an answer to a Jeopardy question and I yelled so loudly at my television that my dog jumped. The only small comfort was that no one knew the answer.

48. ggny says:

why not just move Community and 30 Rock to Wednesday at 8 and 830? Instead of having the crap fest that is Whitney and Chelsa there

49. Brendan says:

If they cancel community I will quit watching tv forever!! (for about ten minutes. Then I’ll be watching tv again, but I’ll still be furious about community being cancelled)

50. Ashley says:

No “Community”?!?!?! For years it was the ONLY NBC show I watched; and while I like “Up All Night” and “Grimm”, a hiatus for either one of them wouldn’t upset me half as much as this news. Why does the travesty that is “Whitney” get to live on while “Community” is put on the shelf? Hopefully “Are You There, Chelsea?” and/or “Whitney” will tank beyond redemption and “Community” will make a quick comeback.