NBC Midseason Shake-Up: Community Benched, Plus Three Shows on the Move

NBC is making some significant midseason scheduling changes in an effort to jump-start what has been a lackluster season so far.

That’s good news for Up All Night, but bad news for Community.

For starters, the Peacock is moving Up All Night to Thursdays at 9:30/8:30c following The Office beginning Jan. 12. The deteriorating Whitney will take over Night‘s former Wednesday lead-off spot on Jan. 11, where it will be paired with new sitcom Are You There, Chelsea?

Critical fave Community is being benched to make way for the return of 30 Rock on Thursday, Jan. 12 at 8/7c. An NBC source insists the show is just taking a breather and has not been canceled. Still, I have to ask: Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?

Elsewhere…

*Harry’s Law is relocating to Sundays at 8/7c beginning March 4.

* New drama The Firm will replace DOA rookie drama Prime Suspect on Thursdays at 10/9.

* Beginning Friday, Feb. 3, Who Do You Think You Are? takes over for Chuck, which will conclude its five-season run with a two-hour finale on January 27 at 8/7c.

* Parenthood‘s season finale airs Feb. 28. The new Elle Macpherson-hosted reality series Fashion Star assumes the Tuesday at 10/9c timeslot in March.

* Noticeably MIA: Buzzy new drama Awake, which recently went on a production hiatus to deal with some pressing creative issues.

The Peacock’s complete midseason schedule is below…

MONDAY
8/7c The Voice
10 pm SMASH

TUESDAY
8 pm The Biggest Loser
10 pm Parenthood (until Feb. 28)
10 pm FASHION STAR

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Whitney [new time slot]
8:30 pm ARE YOU THERE, CHELSEA?
9 pm Rock Center with Brian Williams [new time slot]

THURSDAY
8 pm 30 Rock [new time slot]
8:30 pm Parks and Recreation
9 pm The Office
9:30 pm Up All Night [new time slot]
10 THE FIRM

FRIDAY
8 pm Who Do You Think You Are?
9 pm Grimm
10 pm Dateline NBC

SATURDAY
Repeats “Encore programming”

SUNDAY
7 pm Dateline
8 pm Harry’s Law [new time slot]
9 pm The Celebrity Apprentice

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: News, Scheduling News, Winter TV Preview

1. Ceecile says:

I read that Community is being pulled from NBC’s mid-season schedule.

• Allie says:

I heard that too, tv.com just posted that on twitter. tell me that isn’t for real D: *hyperventilates*

• sandra says:

This is the worse news ever!!

• Joann says:

I’m glad and hope NBC is canceling that whack cop show Prime Suspect it should be cancelled! It was a DOA!

As for Community, I hope it sticks around a little longer. NBC is screwing Harry’s Law!

• rowan says:

Actually they’re helping Harry’s Law. Their Audience is mostly 50+ and those folks are home on Sunday nights. Competition is much less on Sunday’s 8pm slot. This is a good thing for the show, but they’re going to have to bring the language down a notch – it’s now in family hour.

• Bob says:

Screw NBC; just because a shows main demographic is 50+ doesn’t mean it should be sentenced to death. Too often the networks take a show off because while it has not too bad of numbers those numbers are the 50+ crowd. Their sponsors will soon fins out that it’s the 50+ group that gives many of the teenagers the money to buy what they buy

• shaun says:

They are up against Once Upon a Time….they are officially pwned!

• Rachel says:

Don’t cancel Community!! if you do NBC, that would be streets behind. I

• Rwells says:

Why not pull The Office? They’ve been phoning it in for the better part of two seasons now.

I thought NBC’s days of bad decisions were over… Yes, I’m looking at you Heroes.

• Ruthie says:

Yeah, I’m STILL pissed they screwed up Heroes. That was one of my all time favorites…until it went all wonky with the crazy carnies…

• Rachel says:

agreed. I quit the office when it started to feel like a chore. I can’t remember the last time i laughed on that show.

• hpfan says:

did you read this news post? cause thats exactly what it just said.

• Edward says:

“Still, I have to ask: Do you want to live in a world where Whitney remains on NBC’s schedule but Community doesn’t?”

Well said, sir, well said.

I really want to love NBC–they’ve got a sort of soul missing on the other nets–but this is the worst lineup I’ve ever seen. There’s not one show here I really care about. Community and Chuck are good, and personally I thought Prime Suspect was decent, but this looks like they’re actually trying to end up last.

• Raksha says:

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Gosh. That network is SCREWING things up. Big time. First off, they are choosing to keep Whitney. WHITNEY?? Seriously? That was the WORST pilot I EVER sae – and I am not even exaggerating. If you say NBC has a sort of a soul that other networks miss, I agree, but add, Community has the most of the integrity and soul. Stupid NBC people.

• Jessi says:

I swear Whitney has to be banging someone at NBC for that catastrophe to still be on.

• nicole k says:

She’s the co-writer,etc for 2BrokeGirls besides Whitney, so I feared the two crummy shows would stick around despite horrible writing and “acting.” Keep Community, dump the painful to see shows.

• Ava says:

I think NBC is trying to copy CBS and they are ordering these sticoms that don’t fit with the feel of their other sitcoms. I think that Community, Parks & Rec, The Office and 30 Rock are the heart of their comedy lineup. The Office has seen better days and should probably limp out quietly at the end of this season. I propose that NBC orchestrate a trade among networks. They could send Whitney to CBS where it would be more at home paired with 2.5 men, CBS could send HIMYM to ABC where it would go nicely with the Wednesday lineup, and ABC could send Cougar Town to NBC where Community and Cougar Town could be united. Bam problems solved.

• elr says:

I agree about the lineup. The only program on the list that I’m interested in is Parenthood and that is there only thru Feb.

• Brock says:

Community is by far my fave comedy. Dammit NBC. I have given up on Up All Night… great cast… sucky premise/stories. Whitney got me for three weeks and I bailed. NBC, woe is me. And losing parenthood? What was the episode order for it to finish so soon? Better NOT axe it either!

2. Alex says:

Glad to see Up All Night is relocated to Thursday where it belongs and Whitney can die alone on Wednesday.

• Linda says:

soooo happy about that! but 30 rock at 8pm? that’s not the best time slot for the show… parks and rec (the best comedy show EVER) is not doing well in the 8.30 time slot… I was hoping they would get the 9.30 time slot, after the office..

• Jen says:

Will it die, it was showing reruns at the 830 slot and putting up the same numbers, as it did live.

3. LOL says:

Community gets hosed. America loves crap.

4. kit says:

I read that too. Not happy.

5. Jean-Jeanio says:

Well now they need a place for 30 Rock.

6. Soso says:

WTF ???????? WHERE IS COMMUNITY ???????????

7. Maria says:

Whitney should be cancelled, don’t know why it’s still on the air. Up All Night is the best new comedy of the season, can’t wait for the next episode :)

8. João Amaral says:

hope this is a vote of confidence on Up All Night.

9. Matt says:

I’m kind of concerned over Community not appearing on NBC’s schedule starting in January…30 Rock is taking its spot Thursday nights at 8:00.

10. scooterbeanbag says:

Without Community, I no longer have a reason to watch NBC now.

• Zak says:

With them pulling Community, I now have nothing on NBC I watch. I miss the days when NBC aired shows that were actually good…

• Todd says:

Amen to that.

I just realized Community is the only show on NBC that I watch.

NBC should never have put it at the point position for Thursdays.

• Holly says:

This is literally the ONLY upside from this news. I never have to darken my television with NBC again.

• anonymous says:

Have you ever really tried Parks and Rec? It’s not as absurd/intelligent as Community, but most people I know who like one like the other. It’s currently NBC’s saving grace if Community does, in fact, end up cancelled.

• Asha says:

I love Parks and Rec and really like Community. Frankly though if I had to choose between the two, I’d want Parks and Rec to continue.

• tigersmurfette says:

yup. same here. the only shows i watch(ed) were community and prime suspect. nbc sucks.

• aleksa says:

Truth. It’s the only thing I’ve watched on NBC in years.

11. Sarah says:

RIP Community. Such bullsh*t.

12. Pat says:

you forgot Community Mike. please tell me you forgot Community Mike… Mike?… Mike…?

13. jasin says:

30 Rock is taking Community’s slot at 8.

14. Colleen says:

Yea for Harrys Law!! Does this mean Prime Suspect is done? And. Awake and Bent are they now for summer?

15. Ed says:

NBC has gone full retard.

16. João Amaral says:

Now that i see that Community it’s not on the schedule i wonder why it’s not on 8.30 insted of Up All Night.
    Community never had a lead in like The Office, it would be good for the show to have that.

17. alyssa897 says:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG. Where is Community?!?!?!

18. Luminosity says:

Community is the only show on NBC that I do watch. That’s sad!

19. Me says:

So pretty much the only good shows left on NBC are Parks and Rec and Parenthood.
    What happened to Community?

• Tuffie L'Rue says:

Pretty much and Parenthood gets such crap treatment it’s probably not going to make it much longer. Parks & Rec at least got some Emmy attention this year so that could boost it along.

20. mana says:

Actually I love Whiney and hate Up All Night. UAN is so full of itself!!

21. krigin says:

Awake? :(

22. Joe says:

Where is community? Get rid of whitney.

23. Kristi says:

Wow. NOT happy about Community being pulled. What the hell?! Why is it being pulled and not Whitney? COME ON, America!

24. Jean-Jeanio says:

So, wait…what happens if Whitney and/or Chelsea gets cancelled?

25. Aims says:

no community? looks like i have no reason to watch this network anymore.

26. mawhi says:

Whoa Whoa Whoa, 30 Rock at 8?! They were so late last season! Wow.

Also, nooooo Community! Ack.

27. Allie says:

Its mainly because of Up All Night. Not railing on that show, its really good, but an unfortunate side effect is that they want it to follow the Office. Otherwise there’d be room on NBC’s schedule to have both 30 Rock and COmmunity

28. Carissa says:

Please don’t tell me that community has been cancelled?! Terrible news!!!! (at least cougartown will be back on ABC, though)

29. Guilherme says:

for christs sake, WHERE IS COMMUNITY???? It’s not being cancelled right??? when it will be back? when? please, when??? those ******* bastards!!! who on earth can watch tbbt and let the best show ever to be on tv die???

• Jen says:

BBT is far better than Community, but then again its all subjective

• D says:

I believe Community is miles ahead of TBBT. When comparing the two I find that TBBT is a funny show about smart people whereas Community is a smart show about funny people. It’s unfortunate that it is getting benched because it deserves to stick around. It’s a brilliant, well written show.

• Shrinjhin says:

Very well put. I like TBBT – I TiVo it – but I would never choose anything over Community. It the best show on television. NBC execs do NOT know what they are doing.

30. Tiffany says:

Craaaaaaaap. So, now’s a good time to panic on Community’s behalf, right? Why do people turn out in droves to watch crappy comedies while turning their backs on smart ones? Collectively, America has terrible taste in entertainment.

31. Amy says:

Community is why I watch. Can’t believe Whitney is still going…if NBC needs timeslots pull the shows no one is watching.

32. me says:

Community is not canceled (thank god)

33. Kate says:

Wow, a truckload of their line-up is reality TV plus a couple talk shows. I didn’t watch NBC before, guess nothing’s changed for me!

34. Lacey says:

Community is my favorite show and the best show on Thursday nights. I like 30 Rock and am happy that it’s returning just not that it’s taking Community’s timeslot. The Office isn’t funny anymore and doesn’t deserve it’s Thursday’s timeslot. Up all Night is mediocre and should stay on Wednesday nights.

35. Dustin says:

Where is Chuck?????
    Is it not coming back at midseason?

• João Amaral says:

it’s the final season. ends in january.

• Dustin says:

I know it is the final season but there is no way they can fit all the episodes in that time period, even if they were going to do one every week which is extremely unlikely over the holidays.

• Ben says:

One assumes they just push back Who Do You Think You Are if Chuck isn’t done by Feb 3. Only 10 episodes to go, I guess at this point thats anticipated to be the end of the run.

• João Amaral says:

Final episode is January 27. two hour episode

• Rowan says:

Not unlikely. They absolutely can finish all the episodes in that time frame with a week to spare. Not one episode airs on an actual holiday, and frankly they don’t care about the ratings, they’re burning off the rest of the season. Plus. there is also a chance that the 2hr finale is actually 2 episodes being aired back to back so they can take two holiday weeks off and still finish on Jan 27th.

36. Lindsay says:

Fix this, NBC. Stat.
    #HumanBeingsUnite

37. Scout says:

Well, NBC officially sucks. Can’t believe they’ve dropped Community, yet kept Whitney. :(

38. heather says:

I LOVE COMMUNITY!!!!!! they just need to change what time its on so it is not at the same time as Big Bang! this is so sad! SAVE COMMUNITY!!!!!!!!!

39. Chad says:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

40. Mr K says:

What about AWAKE??? Seriously, of all the promos I saw in May for this season’s new shows AWAKE’s was the only one that made me go “I have to see it NOW!!!”

41. Liz says:

6 seasons and a movie? please?

42. Quincy says:

Why move Whitney in front of Are You There, Chelsea? Isn’t one unfunny female comedian enough per night?

43. gerald says:

Would all of you just read before posting! It says that Community is being benched to make way for the return of 30 Rock on Thursday, Jan. 12 at 8/7c…. they’re not canceling it.

44. Ben says:

Michael, I think it’s clear everyone needs analysis of the meaning of this!!!

I assume – extra scripts for Harry’s Law (yay), as reported earlier today no back order for Chuck, but was Community originally picked up with a back order option as opposed to a full season? And the most important question – what is happening with Jason Isaacs ‘Awake’, a show I’m in principle looking quite a bit forward to.

Also, is it odd to see NBC making these changes?

• Ben says:

Glad to see the analysis filtering through in the article. But is Chuck a two-hour episode or just the last two episodes run together? It would be an awesome way to go out if they actually got to make he last episode 2 hours.

45. Snapy says:

The only show I watch on NBC is The Voice. Hopefully it doesn’t suffer from the sophomore slump!

46. Liz says:

I hate NBC. I. HATE. NBC.

• Mark says:

I more or less never forgave them for killing off Boomtown. And they more or less have been failing since their many bad decisions of that era.

47. Snapy says:

Hey Community fans: Now you have another thing in common with us Cougar Town fans. We know how it feels when your fave comedy is put on a totally-stupid hiatus!!!

48. I’m really unhappy they’re benching Community! Glad to know it’s not been canceled, but getting pulled off the schedule isn’t a good thing, either. :\ Hopefully it’ll be back on the schedule in a few weeks after one of these new shows fails to impress. Who likes Up All Night better than Community??

49. FUNBC says:

I’m so glad that NBC is a miserable failure. Keeping Whitney on the air and scrapping Community is unforgivable.