Exclusive

Exclusive: Chuck Series Finale Title Revealed

Chuck is officially heading into the homestretch.

Despite buzz (or was it just wishful thinking on the part of fans?) that NBC might extend the spy comedy’s fifth and final season, the show will not go on beyond Episode 13.

And one need look no further than the title of the episode for proof.

Chuck Spoiler Alert: Meet the Show’s Final Big Bad

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Chuck‘s Jan. 27 series finale will be called… “Chuck vs. the Goodbye.”

Reaction? Theories? Snappy judgments about the season thus far? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. allyson says:

Better not be a funeral good-bye!

2. t.t says:

Damn…
    I’ll be so sad when its over.

3. William j Mazza says:

Perfect title

4. Alicia says:

Terribly sad. I will definitely miss my favorite geek-turned-super-spy.

And Adam Baldwin.

• Ava says:

I love me some Adam Baldwin. I hope he finds work on another show that isn’t a polie procedural. Not even sure where he could go that he’d be appreciated.

• Philippa Chapman says:

Adam would make an amazing Roman senator/Gladiator in Spartacus.

How about a werewolf/vampire/ono in ‘True Blood’?

I expect him to turn up on ‘Castle’ at some point when ‘Chuck’ is over. Maybe as another author!

I do hope Adam gets a regular acting gig, though. Having seen his amazing comic timing, maybe in a comedy?

• Bethany says:

The only silver lining I’ve found in the end of Chuck is the hope of an Adam Baldwin appearance on Castle! Make it happen!

• Chad says:

Castle Me!!! That’s a great idea!

• Scott says:

Adam Baldwin on Castle = Firefly Reunion = AWESOME except for one thing…….

If Adam Baldwin is available and Castle gets renewed for a 5th season, they absolutely MUST make him a regular or recurring character. He’s too good to be anything else! Hopefully the new police chief will be killed off and AB could be the boss in S5?

• Pepper says:

I vote for werewolf in True Blood!!!
          He just needs to turn his grunting into growling and he’s good to go!

• Ali says:

Adam could be on QVC and I’d happily watch. But, knowing what a great actor he is, he’ll pop up on something awesome, of that I’m sure. I would like to see him on cable so he could really let loose but, I’ll watch him in whatever he lands. I’ll miss Chuck, but want to see Adam on his own show. I’d LOVE it if JW did a firefly spinoff with he and the other available stars from that show.

• Kristina says:

Oh, me too! He was the reason I started watching Chuck…hope to see him in another show soon! *sniff*

• bored_viewer says:

After reading his twitter posts, I couldn’t care less if Adam ever finds work again.

• Drew says:

A thousand celebrities parrot the liberal talking points every day and conservatives continue to see their movies and watch their shows (for the most part). One actor voices some conservative views and you want him to go jobless.

Mature.

• LoopyChew says:

I unfollowed him on Twitter after he insulted a diploma program I took in high school, but I like his work, so I sincerely do hope he continues on.

People’s politics shouldn’t get in the way of their acting gigs. Baldwin’s conservatism actually gives Casey some hilarious comic notes (including the running gag with the Reagan photo). Just because he comes off as petulant and condescending on Twitter doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy him (or other conservatives) as an actor.

5. Kailyn Reid says:

The title alone is making me tear up, I can’t imagine what’s gonna happen when I actually watch the finale.

6. rachel says:

aww I’m going to miss Chuck! I’ve been watching this show since the beginning and it isn’t often that you get comedy and action in one superb show!
    Here’s hoping that Chuck gets the intersect back though!!

7. rachel says:

Also, great choice in title for the last episode. Really provokes sad feelings about the end

8. Matt says:

This past week’s episode was finally a turn back towards being the show I’ve loved for the past 4 years. The first few have felt weird, with Morgan being the Intersect. I’m hoping it wasn’t the last episode where we’ll see Mekenna Melvin… I really love her interplay with Josh Gomez, but I could see them using that episode to write her out an focus on winding everything down, as well.

That said, I think the title seems appropriate. It will be interesting to see how they wrap the show up. I’m pretty sure that in Chuck vs. The Goodbye… the Goodbye will win.

9. ggny says:

i was a huge Chuck fan up to the point where the made the show about Morgan more then anything..Morgan is a great side kick character but he was pushed the to front of the show towards the end of last season that where i stopped watching because it just wasnt the same anymore

• srb says:

I really disagree that the show has ever been about Morgan It is a shame you gave up as you missed some good episodes.
      The show is still about Chuck and I have really enjoyed the way they are portraying him as a good spy/leader without the intersect and I hope that he does not get it back as he is proving to be great without it.

10. Eliza says:

Sniff. Sniff. Wiping tears.

Going to miss Chuck so much!!!
    Went through a terrible time a few years ago & this show was my happy place. It goes down as one of my all-time favs.

• Holly says:

Chuck has been ‘my happy place’ for a few years too. It will be sad.
      I still cannot fathom why NBC would throw away this loyal audience.

• Mike says:

GET REAL.

I’m as huge of a Chuck fan as anyone else, but jeez. Chuck is the network’s lowest rated scripted show among 18-49s. It only got a fifth season because of a deal between NBC and WB to get it enough episodes to sell into syndication.

The fanbase is vocal, but very very few.

• Liz says:

I only started watching Chuck last year because a bunch of Castle fans were squeeing over it on twitter, so I caught the entire series online. It only took me 6 days to get completely caught up. Anyway, the day after I finished watching the series, I got a phone call from my mom; she thought she might have Ovarian Cancer, and during the time between the possibility being raised and her going into the hospital (for a completely different surgery) I re-watched the whole series. It kept me sane until we found out that my mom did not have cancer and that she was going to be fine.

It makes me sad to know that Chuck is ending in a a few weeks, but I am glad that it appears that it will get an actual ending, so that makes it hurt less.

11. nbgo says:

I hate the title, it’s too obvious. What about some originality? I’m not a fan of this season either, the show has been great so far but this season ruins it all for me…

• MJ says:

Really? I think it’s perfect in it’s simplicity. The show certainly has changed a lot over the years, very different from when I started watching, but I will miss it.

• Tatisboy says:

I have been a huge fan of this show since the beginning. I am sad that it is going away. In fact, I have had my own little boycott of new NBC shows because I do not want them to do as well as Chuck. One of the things I loved about Chuck is that they have not been afraid to shake things up. The writers always wrote like they were on borrowed time so they might as well right whatever they wanted to. While I am hoping that Chuck gets back the intersect soon, it has been fun to watch his growth into a leader and a spy without the intersect. He has shown that it was not the computer, but the man that made him special.

12. Kristin says:

“Despite buzz (or was it just wishful thinking on the part of fans?)” — Come on, Ausiello, don’t act like you haven’t been feeding that buzz every time you post about Chuck!

Regardless, this news just makes me sad that Chuck is going to be ending soon. :(

13. Tim says:

The only person that could actually die without the show being entirely ruined would be Casey

Sorry but I’ve been expecting him to die at some point.

This season has been underwhelming other than the most recent episode.

14. PutAforkINit says:

about time.
    this show’s ratings have been pathetic.

15. Kevin says:

The title is pretty predictable, but most series finales are. I’m actually glad it’s ending, it was good season 1, but has steadily gotten less and less good.. and wasting all this time with Morgan being the intersect (I am aware it’s only been 3 episodes, but that’s 3 episodes too many) as been incredibly annoying.. atleast that had some sort of payoff (finding out Beckman didn’t do it, and so Chuck didn’t get intersect virused instead).. I like the show and all but I can’t see it going more than these last 13 episodes.

16. JOE says:

Sad news!!
    I discover the show this year, and see all the seasons online, i really like to enjoy the show a few more seasons. There isn’t another show that includes comedy/action/romance and drama to see.
    At least give us the hope of a movie in the future!!!

17. MrJeremyT says:

For those who are “underwhelmed” by this season except for this last episode I have this to say, you mean all 2 episodes?? I mean seriously people, it takes time to get into a good rhythm. There are still 10 episodes left. Relax, sit back, and enjoy the show that Zac and the gang have given us for 5 whole seasons. Might I remind you that the only other show of the same “caliber” in my opinion was Firefly, and they barely got 1 season. So be glad we reached 5. It was a great run, so let’s enjoy it in all it’s glory.

• Burkey says:

Hear, hear. And I really liked the first two episodes.

The title alone made my heart almost fall through my butt, so when the episode actually airs I’ll probably be a giant wreck. I’ll miss this show more than I can say, but am thoroughly enjoying it as much as I can in the meantime.

• Stacy says:

It’s just the way the internet works now..people need every single episode to be THE BEST THING EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! and if it’s not, then it just proves the show is starting to suck.

• Chris says:

Thank you! I agree with everything you wrote. Like Stacy says, this is just the way the internet works now. If you don’t produce something especially brilliant every single week, your show’s diminishing in quality. Not to acknowledge that the show is constantly still entertaining. Makes me sad.
      Anyways, I just tune that out ‘cuz I know that for me CHUCK’s remained kick-ass all these years. Up to the finale, I know they will deliver! It’s such a special show. Mediocre episodes still entertain the heck out of me.

18. Becky says:

I love when shows do their titles with a recurring theme like this, it just makes it way more fun! Like friends with “The one…”, Grey’s with their song title episodes, and Bones with “The ____ in the ____” to name a few! For this reason and many others, we will miss you chuck!

• Charles says:

Actually, that practice goes back to the 1960s with “The Man From U.N.C.L.E”, which had every episode called “The _____ Affair”. And each episode of “Desperate Housewives” is named after a Stephen Sondheim song (a tribute from show creator Mark Cherry). Oops, I forgot about an even EARLIER example: “Perry Mason”, where it was always “The Case of ______”!

19. James says:

I’ll be sad to see this series go, but the first two episodes of this season were among the worst of the entire series. The third episode was better. The decision to give Morgan the intersect was monumentally stupid. Hopefully they rectify that in the next episode. It just ticks me off that we get 13 final episodes and they waste 4 on this terrible Morgan as the intersect storyline.

20. João Amaral says:

Casey is gonna die a hero, saving Chuck, Sarah and Morgan (and Morgan will lose the intersect). And because of his death they gonna quit the spy world.

21. Aiden says:

“Chuck vs. the Goodbye” …I am crying for eternity.

22. Gambs says:

I will miss the show once it goes off the air.

However, I won’t mourn what we’ve lost. I’ll celebrate the five seasons that we had.

• Ben says:

Exactly. DVDs are forever.

• Chris says:

Positive way to look at it :) This IS a celebration. I couldn’t even have imagined us reaching season 5 as Chuck struggled to get picked up 3 years ago, yet here we are. It’ll just be incredibly sad to say goodbye to not only the show but also the cast and crew that’s been real close to its smaller fanbase. “Chuck versus the Goodbye” feels just so appropriate. January 27th will be an emotional day for Chucksters.

23. CB says:

I’ve been a fan of this show since the pilot, thru all of the ups & downs, it has still given me years of enjoyment. I will miss this show and was unbelievably saddened when I read the title Chuck vs The Goodbye.

24. Nihit Dalmia says:

Chuck is an awesome tv show. I hv been watching since begng. Thou past episodes r not doing well but al tht wil turn over. Love d chuck babe!!!

25. Mike says:

I’m a huge Chuck fan. Huge.

But I’ve long accepted that it has run its course. I was happy to get these last 13 episodes to give a proper send off, but I was not wishing for a back 9 or a surprise renewal.

26. Melody says:

I have my fingers in my ears, I refuse to hear any news or indications that Chuck is ending – NO! NO! NO!

27. Lachie says:

Carol you are a horrible person :'(
    How could you say that??

28. Celleste says:

:( literally started crying when I saw the title. Can’t accept the fact it’s ending.

29. Liana in San Diego says:

So sorry to see this end… though honestly, I’ve been completely underwhelmed with Morgan having the intersect. Ridiculous! And this new bit with him off to Verbanski is even more stupid. I realize the writers wanted to change things up a bit, but the show is entitled “Chuck” and we want to see CHUCK do his thing, not Morgan. It would be delicious irony if Chuck were to get the intersect back soon!

30. Mel says:

Chuck is not such an unsuccessful show like NBC always tell us.I read that merchandise is on second rank at the NBC store.Not bad for a low rated show.Anyway,some of the fact s you’ve said are true but the ratings only tell us how many Nielsen viewers watch Chuck.Not how many in real.Every Friday it’s first place on GetGlue or often top 10 on ilegal download pages.It’s just.I don’t believe the real audience who watch Chuck is so little.Chuck’s biggest problem was always the network and the promotion for that show.Furthermore,I predict that NBC won’t be one of the big player in the future.Their shows are not sold worldwide.They don’t see the trend to online streaming and merchandise sell worldwide like ABC does.NBC has new trouble with losing viewers for their so called hit Grimm.I’m pretty sure it won’t survive long.Current it loses 0.3 in adults data every week.I believe they’ll renew it with a 1.3-1.5 and change its time to another day.NBC always does weird decisions and never explains that its audience e.g I did not read on any official website why there is no online streaming on hulu…All in all after Chuck me,my followers on Twitter,my friends on Facebook(TVshow fans)…we’re done with NBC.

• Kari says:

You and me both! I’m so fed up with NBC and how they’ve treated their viewers! And now, God forbid someone without a DVR misses an episode, they are screwed because there is no where to watch it online!

• Ben says:

Man, Americans and their network philosophy baffles me. I just watch the shows I like, regardless of where I’m watching them. But on balance, I’m glad there was no back order for Chuck. It means the writers plans from the start of the season can come to fruition with no last minute changes of direction.

31. Jasmine says:

I am absolutely dreading when the show ends, but I know it will be epic when it does. Since the beginning, this continues to be my favorite show, I’m really gonna miss it.

32. kevin says:

What a great episode title for its series finale. Hear that CHUCK planning a two-hour series’ end on January 27th.

33. yuka says:

By then less than 1 million viewers will exist. Series should have ended with the wedding.

34. s says:

Chuck still did better than most of it’s competition during that brutal 8-9 Monday night slot against MNF. I still would like to think that Chuck will survive. Chuck forever!!!!

35. Malle says:

Hard to believe the end is near for this great show. But Chuck has not only been the abandon child of the Bartowski parents but also the battered child of NBC. Every year of its existence, the show has had its mojo kicked. First the writer’s strike which shortened its first season. Then the “will they or won’t they” NBC renewal of the show – short seasons lengthened to almost full season after fan outrage and campaigns. This uncertainty has created a writers/producers nightmare as the show is dependent on a continuous story line. Also it did not help having a bad time slot and relatively no advertising support by NBC. All I can say is I will miss this show a lot. I thank the great cast and crew for all of their efforts over the past 5 years and what they have had to endure. On to bigger and better things! Squash the peacock!

36. Mdz says:

Soooo sad :(..my heart aches…Truely going to miss my favorite show..If i’m crying now don’t know whats going to happen Jan. 27 …

37. kristine c. says:

Must. Not. Cry. :(

38. TheReasonsY says:

Sorry but I am grateful for this. SO far this season has been horrible and it is sad to say that about one of my favorite shows. I hate this direction and Morgan being the intersect. I’m going to stop watching and then just do a marathon once the DVDs are out.

39. Amy says:

Very appropriate title. I can’t believe it is almost over! I’m just glad the show will be getting a proper goodbye.

40. Mandy says:

This worries me! It’s possible that it eludes to the fact that the show is ending, but more likely, someone in the show is leaving (dying?) in the finale. I want the show to end on a happy note, not a sad one.

41. marauder says:

omg. day after my birthday. GREAT BIRTHDAY PRESENT NBC! =(

42. Kea says:

I’ve read an article about the finale. I think it is about someone who definitely saying “goodbye” which means someone will die as a hero.

I’m a sucker for tragic endings and i’d like to think it will be Chuck who is going to die. Maybe Adam. Maybe Joshua.

All things come to an end. I will have withdrawals after the finale and no matter what show they put up, my favorite will always be Chuck. Just like with my fave movie Star Wars.

43. em says:

I’m still holding out hope that this title has nothing to do with that blind item about someone going out a hero. Please not Casey!

44. james says:

As long as fedak and wootton dont write the finale i will be happy. these two cant write a coherent episode to save their lives.

45. lauz says:

So sad. Just went to WB studios and saw a lot of the Chuck production set and also saw Sarah wandering between sets (so cool!!). I think its been an amazing show and some fabulous years of watching!

46. rich says:

Do you think if we hold ‘save chuck’ again and be
    so so successful ,can we get another season??
    i just can’t imagine my life without chuk !!

47. srb says:

I must admit I love the title foir this episode, I got really emotional just reading it, I know I will be a complete mess when it airs.
    S5 has been great so far Mortgan sect has been handled well, and it shows how Chuck has grown, he does not need the intersect. I look forward to each new epiosode but always feel a bit said aswell as it means one closer to the end.

48. JAO says:

Adding my voice to those who will miss ‘Chuck’. I loved it from the start. Though I have been cringing about Morgan as the interset. Last week’s episode totally redeemed it for me. This show has heart, comedy, satire – you name it. NBC – No Body Cares about your network. You’ve lost your Peacock mojo.

49. Sue says:

Awwwww! I’m gonna miss adorkable Chuck….