CBS Replaces David Spade's Rules With ¡Rob! Schneider, Schedules Undercover Boss' Return

CBS is replacing one Saturday Night Light alum with another.

The David Spade-starrer Rules of Engagement is being temporarily benched to make way for Rob Schneider’s new sitcom, ¡Rob!

The half-hour comedy, starring Schneider as a bachelor who marries into a tight-knit Mexican-American family, debuts in Rules‘ time slot — Thursdays at 8:30/7:30c — on Jan. 12.

NCIS: LA Scoop: Sam’s ‘Emotional’ Crisis Underscored By an Original Song from LL Cool J

Rules will return to its Thursday home later in the season, but with a reduced episode order, according to our sister site Deadline. Instead of airing 20 half-hours this season — an 18-episode order, plus two leftover installments from last season — CBS has cut its tally down to 15 total episodes.

Additionally, the Eye network announced that the reality series Undercover Boss will return for its third season on Sunday, Jan. 15 at 8 pm, with Amazing Race to launch its next cycle sometime in the spring.

1. brooke says:

What a clever title. Not.

• chuck says:

Good thinking CBS, Undercover Shmuck is your best chance to win the Emmy, I don’t think Amazing Race ever had a chance. CBS it is called building a BRAND not building a BLAND.

• fci says:

LOL. Undercover is the same thing over and over and over again. I’m resigning! “ooohhhh”, “just for a week”. Then I will show I can’t do what the “workers” do and will find someone with a tragic story and will give them money to ease their sorrow….. Blah, Blah, Blah…..

• Shib says:

Undercover Boss what a joke…

2. Chris says:

Rob Schnieder is ‘The Stapler!’

3. Omeed says:

Community gets pulled the same day Rob Schneider gets a sitcom. This really is the darkest timeline. Time to get a felt goatee.

4. kevin says:

Think Rob Schneider’s new sitcom is another comedy failure for CBS way worse than HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN and last year’s BLEEP MY DAD SAYS. Don’t know if this ends RULES OF ENGAGEMENT after the TV season ends. I’m very happy to see the return of UNDERCOVER BOSS returning in January since AMAZING RACE won’t be back with their new cycle come Spring 2012.

5. Carrie says:

Why why why does CBS hate Rules so much??

6. Angry hermit says:

$&@! My dad says wasn’t so bad, actually pretty funny.
    But I guess, I should be thrilled by the return of Undercover D0ucebags- I mean Bosses.

7. Carmichael says:

This is the epitome of conflicted. Been waiting for them to pair something else with the Big Bang Theory, but Rob Schneider, who’s only funny in other people’s movies, isn’t what I had in mind. Here’s a crazy thought, move Mike & Molly to Thursday’s at eight, Two & a Half Men to Monday at 9:30, and Big Bang Theory to Monday at 9, then they’ve got three great shows on Monday.

8. mandy says:

So sad for Rules of Engagement. CBS keeps Moving it. It is a great show and CBS hasntaken away any chance of.it developing a following

• Cerise says:

Love “Rules” — it’s consistently funny, David Spade is a scream, and Timmy steals the show every week. Why don’t they just stop moving it all over the place and leave things the way they are.

9. Mia says:

I still do not get how Rules has survived this many years. I think I’ll try anything in its time slot.

10. Snapy says:

What about The Amazing Race??

• kevin says:

Amazing Race gets replaced by Undercover Boss in the series’ timeslot set for January 15th. The next cycle of RACE won’t return in the Spring of 2012.

• Snapy says:

That’s awful! TAR is so much better than that UB turd. Ugh.

• dan says:

TAR will most likely start in mid-to-late February (sweeps month) or early March and then air thru the end of the season in May. I don’t know how many episodes of UB were made this season, but they’ll probably air 6 to 8 episodes in Jan/Feb then fill in where needed assuming they ordered 13 (half a season).

• darclyte says:

TAR doesn’t usually return until Feb or March anyway. It’s not like UB is “taking” its spot. TAR doesn’t air continuously, so UB is a “fill in” until the next season.

11. Kristoffer says:

With all the places to put a new show why do they have do jerk around Rules…again? I can’t even find the upside down ! on my DVR so I couldn’t record Rob!, even if I wanted to.

Quit watching Undercover Bosses after the first season. Seems more scripted and fake now. Some of those awful hair pieces and fake beards would have to be a dead giveaway something else is going on, besides someone trying to get a job.

12. greg says:

I wish they would quit messing with Rules of Engagement! I really like that show.

13. Jasmine says:

I’m sure that the Mexican American community would love a half hour of network TV but I doubt Rob Schneider is the Oskar Schindler of CBS. Besides if I want to see Mexicans I can toggle to Unvision.

14. Holly says:

Ooo… I smell an Epic Fail. At least if my beloved Community is being benched, I can watch this show go down in epic flames. Of course, I said that about 2 1/2 Men too and you can see how wrong I was there. I still maintain that show SHOULD have tanked.

15. Anna says:

UGH! Schneider isn’t fit to lace Spade’s boots!

16. em says:

How can CBS be replacing a bad comedy with a potentially worse comedy while NBC is benching a creative comedy that is actually funny? I wish people would give NBC’s comedies a chance. I mean, even watching Whitney is vastly better than sitting through Rules of Engagement imo. Ugh. To whomever owning a Nielsen box: I really hate you right now.

• chris says:

rules is a thousand time better than Whitney, Whitney has yet to make me even crack a smile in the commercials ive seen plus the first two episodes i watched, i couldn’t agree more that community is a creative and very funny comedy whitney is not

• fci says:

The laugh track finds Whitney funny.
        Plus it tells you when something was supposed to be funny so you know when you are supposed to laugh!

17. Polly says:

really? is there someone in the world who finds this guy funny?
    anyhow, it’s cbs, it wont reach episode 3 :D
    if it was on nbc it could have reached season 7 :D

18. Doris says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t find Rob Schneider even remotedly funny? I’d rather watch paint dry.

• fci says:

He has been funny exactly one time. And the earlier comment nailed it “stapler man”. Funny for about 20 seconds. Wow, what is CBS to do with the other 22 minutes and 40 seconds???? Maybe run an infomercial????
      Maybe another Republican debate!!!

19. Julie says:

At this rate the only thing that’ll be able to be matched with TBBT is TBBT….

20. Adam says:

CBS should do a show with the cast made up of all SNL alums with a plot that is about the inner-workings and goings-ons about a late night variety comedy show. It would kill in the ratings!

21. nerissa says:

CBS is the dumbest network out there. ROE is a great show and they keep moving it!! They have no appreciation for the audiences. Same thing with Criminal Minds last year, they tried to swap two of the female leads only to bring them back because the audience kicked!!! They really have no clue as to their viewership!!

22. evesin0207 says:

Being the #1 network at the moment, the Gen X bigges are getting arrogant and catering to the 18 to 35 viewers. Rob Scneider — a no class comic, and I use comic loosely, filling in a coveted time slot. I wasn’t a fan of ROE either so I channel surfed until 9:00 p.m.

S**t My Father Says was an excellent show but not given a real chance. CBS is playing Russian Roulette with their time slots, the most glaring mistake being moving The Good Wife to Sunday nights. Fatal error on their cocky little “we know best” mindsets.

Undercover Boss is the ONLY reality show I watch. A head of a company humbles himself, actually learns first hand the inner workings of their company and the problems their employees face on a daily basis. The good outcome for these workers often bring the boss, employee and viewer to tears.

CBS better come out of their fantasy world where all good ratings last forever and that they think they are geniuses. Just ask NBC??

• fci says:

I can’t figure out how you can continue to watch Undercover Boss!
      It is the same show every week, different company, different CEO, different cheesy disguise, different sob story. Same show…….

23. ROB says:

Rules of Engagement is one of the funniest comedies this season don’t understnad why cbs hates this show. They keep moving it all over the schedule which has to kill viewership!!!

24. j says:

READ MORE CAREFULLY- TAR WILL return in the spring – I think some folks are spreading bad rumors here.

25. I don’t really think Rules of Engagement is that funny, but it’s better than some shows out there, and it’s getting really good ratings this season. Why does CBS keep shuffling it around? Cutting the episode order is also terrible. I thought they were trying to get enough episodes for syndication.

26. sandee says:

Is Rob Schneider an improvement over David Spade or not? I can’t tell.