CBS Replaces David Spade's Rules With ¡Rob! Schneider, Schedules Undercover Boss' Return

Get More: News, Scheduling News

CBS is replacing one Saturday Night Light alum with another.

The David Spade-starrer Rules of Engagement is being temporarily benched to make way for Rob Schneider’s new sitcom, ¡Rob!

The half-hour comedy, starring Schneider as a bachelor who marries into a tight-knit Mexican-American family, debuts in Rules‘ time slot — Thursdays at 8:30/7:30c — on Jan. 12.

NCIS: LA Scoop: Sam’s ‘Emotional’ Crisis Underscored By an Original Song from LL Cool J

Rules will return to its Thursday home later in the season, but with a reduced episode order, according to our sister site Deadline. Instead of airing 20 half-hours this season — an 18-episode order, plus two leftover installments from last season — CBS has cut its tally down to 15 total episodes.

Additionally, the Eye network announced that the reality series Undercover Boss will return for its third season on Sunday, Jan. 15 at 8 pm, with Amazing Race to launch its next cycle sometime in the spring.

Comments (46)

• What a clever title. Not.

Comment by brooke – November 14, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good thinking CBS, Undercover Shmuck is your best chance to win the Emmy, I don’t think Amazing Race ever had a chance. CBS it is called building a BRAND not building a BLAND.

Comment by chuck – November 15, 2011 04:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL. Undercover is the same thing over and over and over again. I’m resigning! “ooohhhh”, “just for a week”. Then I will show I can’t do what the “workers” do and will find someone with a tragic story and will give them money to ease their sorrow….. Blah, Blah, Blah…..

Comment by fci – November 15, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Undercover Boss what a joke…

Comment by Shib – January 2, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rob Schnieder is ‘The Stapler!’

Comment by Chris – November 14, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rated PG-13!

Comment by Sam – November 14, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • only funny thing to ever have rob schneiders name attached to it

Comment by chris – November 15, 2011 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community gets pulled the same day Rob Schneider gets a sitcom. This really is the darkest timeline. Time to get a felt goatee.

Comment by Omeed – November 14, 2011 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Think Rob Schneider’s new sitcom is another comedy failure for CBS way worse than HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN and last year’s BLEEP MY DAD SAYS. Don’t know if this ends RULES OF ENGAGEMENT after the TV season ends. I’m very happy to see the return of UNDERCOVER BOSS returning in January since AMAZING RACE won’t be back with their new cycle come Spring 2012.

Comment by kevin – November 14, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bleep My Dad Said was actually a pretty solid sitcom. I was said it got canceled.

Comment by Mark – November 14, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Schneider’s new sitcom is based on his actual life. He married into a Mexican family not very long ago.

Comment by darclyte – November 15, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why why why does CBS hate Rules so much??

Comment by Carrie – November 14, 2011 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • $&@! My dad says wasn’t so bad, actually pretty funny.
    But I guess, I should be thrilled by the return of Undercover D0ucebags- I mean Bosses.

Comment by Angry hermit – November 14, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the epitome of conflicted. Been waiting for them to pair something else with the Big Bang Theory, but Rob Schneider, who’s only funny in other people’s movies, isn’t what I had in mind. Here’s a crazy thought, move Mike & Molly to Thursday’s at eight, Two & a Half Men to Monday at 9:30, and Big Bang Theory to Monday at 9, then they’ve got three great shows on Monday.

Comment by Carmichael – November 14, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad for Rules of Engagement. CBS keeps Moving it. It is a great show and CBS hasntaken away any chance of.it developing a following

Comment by mandy – November 14, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love “Rules” — it’s consistently funny, David Spade is a scream, and Timmy steals the show every week. Why don’t they just stop moving it all over the place and leave things the way they are.

Comment by Cerise – November 15, 2011 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still do not get how Rules has survived this many years. I think I’ll try anything in its time slot.

Comment by Mia – November 14, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about The Amazing Race??

Comment by Snapy – November 14, 2011 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amazing Race gets replaced by Undercover Boss in the series’ timeslot set for January 15th. The next cycle of RACE won’t return in the Spring of 2012.

Comment by kevin – November 14, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s awful! TAR is so much better than that UB turd. Ugh.

Comment by Snapy – November 14, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • TAR will most likely start in mid-to-late February (sweeps month) or early March and then air thru the end of the season in May. I don’t know how many episodes of UB were made this season, but they’ll probably air 6 to 8 episodes in Jan/Feb then fill in where needed assuming they ordered 13 (half a season).

Comment by dan – November 15, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • TAR doesn’t usually return until Feb or March anyway. It’s not like UB is “taking” its spot. TAR doesn’t air continuously, so UB is a “fill in” until the next season.

Comment by darclyte – November 15, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With all the places to put a new show why do they have do jerk around Rules…again? I can’t even find the upside down ! on my DVR so I couldn’t record Rob!, even if I wanted to.

Quit watching Undercover Bosses after the first season. Seems more scripted and fake now. Some of those awful hair pieces and fake beards would have to be a dead giveaway something else is going on, besides someone trying to get a job.

Comment by Kristoffer – November 14, 2011 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they would quit messing with Rules of Engagement! I really like that show.

Comment by greg – November 14, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sure that the Mexican American community would love a half hour of network TV but I doubt Rob Schneider is the Oskar Schindler of CBS. Besides if I want to see Mexicans I can toggle to Unvision.

Comment by Jasmine – November 14, 2011 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ooo… I smell an Epic Fail. At least if my beloved Community is being benched, I can watch this show go down in epic flames. Of course, I said that about 2 1/2 Men too and you can see how wrong I was there. I still maintain that show SHOULD have tanked.

Comment by Holly – November 14, 2011 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UGH! Schneider isn’t fit to lace Spade’s boots!

Comment by Anna – November 14, 2011 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can CBS be replacing a bad comedy with a potentially worse comedy while NBC is benching a creative comedy that is actually funny? I wish people would give NBC’s comedies a chance. I mean, even watching Whitney is vastly better than sitting through Rules of Engagement imo. Ugh. To whomever owning a Nielsen box: I really hate you right now.

Comment by em – November 14, 2011 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • rules is a thousand time better than Whitney, Whitney has yet to make me even crack a smile in the commercials ive seen plus the first two episodes i watched, i couldn’t agree more that community is a creative and very funny comedy whitney is not

Comment by chris – November 15, 2011 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The laugh track finds Whitney funny.
        Plus it tells you when something was supposed to be funny so you know when you are supposed to laugh!

Comment by fci – November 15, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • really? is there someone in the world who finds this guy funny?
    anyhow, it’s cbs, it wont reach episode 3 :D
    if it was on nbc it could have reached season 7 :D

Comment by Polly – November 15, 2011 01:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who doesn’t find Rob Schneider even remotedly funny? I’d rather watch paint dry.

Comment by Doris – November 15, 2011 03:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He has been funny exactly one time. And the earlier comment nailed it “stapler man”. Funny for about 20 seconds. Wow, what is CBS to do with the other 22 minutes and 40 seconds???? Maybe run an infomercial????
      Maybe another Republican debate!!!

Comment by fci – November 15, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At this rate the only thing that’ll be able to be matched with TBBT is TBBT….

Comment by Julie – November 15, 2011 04:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS should do a show with the cast made up of all SNL alums with a plot that is about the inner-workings and goings-ons about a late night variety comedy show. It would kill in the ratings!

Comment by Adam – November 15, 2011 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS is the dumbest network out there. ROE is a great show and they keep moving it!! They have no appreciation for the audiences. Same thing with Criminal Minds last year, they tried to swap two of the female leads only to bring them back because the audience kicked!!! They really have no clue as to their viewership!!

Comment by nerissa – November 15, 2011 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Being the #1 network at the moment, the Gen X bigges are getting arrogant and catering to the 18 to 35 viewers. Rob Scneider — a no class comic, and I use comic loosely, filling in a coveted time slot. I wasn’t a fan of ROE either so I channel surfed until 9:00 p.m.

S**t My Father Says was an excellent show but not given a real chance. CBS is playing Russian Roulette with their time slots, the most glaring mistake being moving The Good Wife to Sunday nights. Fatal error on their cocky little “we know best” mindsets.

Undercover Boss is the ONLY reality show I watch. A head of a company humbles himself, actually learns first hand the inner workings of their company and the problems their employees face on a daily basis. The good outcome for these workers often bring the boss, employee and viewer to tears.

CBS better come out of their fantasy world where all good ratings last forever and that they think they are geniuses. Just ask NBC??

Comment by evesin0207 – November 15, 2011 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t figure out how you can continue to watch Undercover Boss!
      It is the same show every week, different company, different CEO, different cheesy disguise, different sob story. Same show…….

Comment by fci – November 15, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rules of Engagement is one of the funniest comedies this season don’t understnad why cbs hates this show. They keep moving it all over the schedule which has to kill viewership!!!

Comment by ROB – November 15, 2011 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • READ MORE CAREFULLY- TAR WILL return in the spring – I think some folks are spreading bad rumors here.

Comment by j – November 15, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really think Rules of Engagement is that funny, but it’s better than some shows out there, and it’s getting really good ratings this season. Why does CBS keep shuffling it around? Cutting the episode order is also terrible. I thought they were trying to get enough episodes for syndication.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – November 15, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Rob Schneider an improvement over David Spade or not? I can’t tell.

Comment by sandee – November 15, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post