'Law-Enforcement Crushes' Quarterfinals Begin: Castle's Castle vs. Hawaii Five-0's McGarrett!

We’ve reached the Quarterfinals of our Ultimate Law-Enforcement Crushes Bracket Tournament, which means our original field of 64 crime-fighting dreamboats has been whittled down to eight. Of course, with great hotness (in the remaining combatants) comes great heartache (for you, the voters). And today’s matchup — between a pair of smoldering timeslot competitors — is no exception.

Will it be Richard Catle, titular hero of ABC’s Castle, or Steve McGarrett, from CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 reboot? The choice in front of you may cause you to curl up in the emotional fetal position, but it’s your duty as a TV-loving citizen to vote in the poll below, then alert your friends and neighbors to do the same! As part of our single-elimination competition, only four law-enforcing hunks will advance to the semifinals.

Every afternoon over the next week, we’ll launch another set of face-offs that will test the strength of your respective character crushes. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Quarterfinals voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

Eventually, our battle will boil down to a finale that pits the ultimate old-school crime-fighter against the ultimate modern-day hero. (Their female counterparts will have their later this month.)

Oh, and if you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

On your mark, get set, vote!

1. Jessica says:

Castle of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nathan Fillion is amazing!
    Castle FTW!!!!!!!

2. dee says:

Steve would be way more fun in the sack. Probably take control and likes it rough and kinky being a navy man. Doubt he would call the next day but totally worth it

3. southerngirl says:

Castle all the way – hot and so sexy!

4. Vicky says:

Captain or Castle! Nathan all the way!

5. julie says:

Can Nathan be more adorable? No way.

6. Alyssa says:

Nathan for me. He is a terrific actor.

7. Trish A. says:

Castle, all the way! I could watch Nathan Fillion in ANYTHING!!!!

8. kristi says:

hahahahhahaha CASTLE IS WINNING<3 best man alive.

9. Destiny says:

Castle of course. Love the way he dresses, very elegant.

10. Theresa Z says:

That’s easy! McGarrett all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Cathy says:

Lori, I’m so glad to see someone comment about the other things Alex has been in. I’ve loved him in everything, but especially Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant! One of my all time favorites! as well as Oyster Farmer!

12. Shaz says:

Voted for Castle because he’s charming, not damaged emotionally, and a family man, not to mention, ruggedly handsome. ;-) It’s so rare to find TV heroes (especially doing law enforcement work) who are well adjusted with a happy home life. Usually they’re loner types with emotional baggage from the past–like McGarrett, for example.

McGarrett is definitely more crushable at first glance, but it would wear off fast when I have to deal with his obsessive pursuit of his father’s killer. (I find Beckett’s obsession with who killed her mother equally tiresome too!) So McGarrett as a short-term crush–definitely. But Castle gets my vote as most long-term crushable guy.

13. Jamie says:

how is my tv boo not winning this? alex is the sexiest man alive! nathan is hardly chopped liver but seriously guys, what i wouldn’t give for one night alone with that man :)

14. Terry says:

Nathan ! Love the pic. Blue is his color.

15. Shannon says:

NATHAN FILLION ALL THE WAY!!!!! That man is DELICOUS, no matter what. I’ve been in love since I saw Waitress, and it’s not fading anytime soon!! I crush hard on guys who make me laugh, and Nathan is without a doubt, one of the funniest men on the planet!

My only issue here is going to be if it comes down to Nathan and Johnny. That kind of a choice is a sure sign of the coming apocolypse!!

16. Barbara Lebkuecher says:

Really people? It’s so obvious that there are people on this planet who really like Nathan Fillion and then there are PEOPLE who really like Alex O’Loughlin. I’m one of those. Alex all the way. Not only looks and abs…but serious talent, (dk out his body of work), and a fine Aussie personality off screen. Plus a dedication to the Donate Life program and other humanitarian projects. So, whether Alex wins this poll or not, we who follow his career know how valuable he is. So, he is definitely the winner.

• up says:

Well, Nathan Fillion is a co-founder of Kids Need to Read charity, bringing books to school libraries. Let’s talk smack about charities now:)

17. Charlotte says:

Of course, two of my absolute favorites are being pitted against each other. *sigh*
    Even though I voted for McGarrett, I’m happy if one of them takes the whole thing!

18. Elizabeth says:

How can Alex be compared to a mere human?

19. malus says:

How can a God of geeks can be compared to a former vampire turned cop?
    (kidding)..(mostly)

20. guys. srsly, hawaii five-o is wayyyy more awesomer than castle
    and steve mcgarrett id swayyy more hotter than castle……VOTE STEVE MCGAREET!!! ftw

21. Penny says:

U go Captain !
    Nathan Fillion ! Yeah!

22. cher says:

nathan fillion is the full package, whether he has a bit more meat this season or not. nathan ftw! :D

23. Kelly Reid says:

Steve McGarret is munchier but Castle is just far more loveable overall. I like how he’s childish and cheerful but also sensible and vulnerable and he has a great sense of humour. I just have a much bigger crush on the entire Castle persona and if we base hotness on that, it’s Castle hands down for me.

24. Lea R says:

Drat. My two most face characters on TV. WHY DID THEY HAVE TO BE AGAINST EACH OTHER!! I loved Moonlight and Firefly. What’s a girl to do. I agree with most the comments on here. Both are hot in there own ways and both have wonderful personalities. (love McG’s scenes with Dano) however a decision must be made and since Andrew Marlows tweet brought me here. Castle is my vote!! <3

25. Past PresentFan says:

Steve McGarrett
    Steve McGarrett
    Steve McGarrett
    Steve McGarrett
    Steve McGarrett
    Steve McGarrett
    No one is better.

26. Kelly says:

Castle. If we’re talking about their TV characters, it’s CASTLE all the way. If we go with looks, McGarret is munchier but if we go with personality Castle is just far more loveable, humorous. How are we supposed to vote for them anyway? The poll is about hot law enforcement people. Castle isn’t even a cop; he consults with the NYPD for his books but ends up helping in case. So technically, he isn’t even in law enforcement the same way as Garrett but Castle is still more loveable. I like his childishness, his humour and the way he shows his weaknesses. I love the way he forms theories. I like the way he is clumsy in fight scenes and still gets the bad guy. But that’s the world of law-enforcement hotties according to me. ;)

27. Taya says:

Castle all the way

28. vingil santillan maningo says:

mc garrett!!!

29. vingil santillan maningo says:

mc garrett

30. Lisa says:

H50 and Castle are completely different type of shows (aside from the crime procedural aspect). Neither will ever win any Emmy’s, although NF certainly deserves one, or at least a nomination. Comedy and drama are so hard to play and he is asked to do it on this show. I can watch H50 with the sound down on the TV and not miss a thing. Everyone is pretty and the shots of Hawaii are wonderful. I could not do the same with Castle, while the people are nice to look at it requires some (not a lot) of your attention.

That is why I voted for Castle (NF), he is good looking AND smart. So for me more crushable. I never for one second believe that McGarrett is smarter than I am. The shows writers demand nothing from the actor and that is what they get. Pensive and/or wry smile, that is AO’s range of emotion on this show. This is not a slam, once again he just does what is asked of him and that is to look pretty. For some that is enough, it wouldn’t be for me.

31. Cathy says:

Book em Danno, cuff em Chin Ho, but FRISK ME McGARRETT! Please?!?!

32. Mel says:

Castle, no doubt.
    Nathan has proved us that he is able to play different characters, very different one, all in a wonderful way . Viewers loved the Captain and viewers love Castle.
    For me that is a good actor, the one that is able to connect with the viewers and generate a big deal of buzz.
    Both Nathan and Alex are hot, but for me the acting is what matters.So Nathan is the one.

33. sandex10 says:

Steven J. McGarret all the way!

34. Suzette says:

MCGARRETT
    MCGARRETT
    & HF0

35. Sue says:

It can only be McGarrett
    McGarrett
    McGarrett

36. Rece says:

McGarrett

37. Tinemi says:

Ok… I love both actors, and the characters they play. But when choosing shich one is more crushable for ME I vote for Richard Castle. The character is AMAZING!!! He’s funny, inteligent, geeky, smart, ruggedly handsome and his love for Beckett doesn’t makes him an eunuch, just a man in love. For what I’ve seen of McGarrett he’s sad-angry-upset most of the time, yes he’s handsome but I had to see him touch a book or have more layers to interest me. PS: As you can read I’m talking of characters not actors.

38. AFanOfFun says:

McGarrett is the man.

39. Yesenia says:

What is up with everyone and Castle? He dominates in every poll, but he’s really not that good-looking. The character is just kind of cocky too. My guess is people are voting for the actor, not the character?

• @Yesenia says:

Fandom has been known to use BOTS when voting, the percents haven’t changed since yesterday. Something is fishy in Denmark, they win every poll, except the certain sites that have not counted their inflated numbers. So why vote!

• EmilieVitnux says:

Yeah, yeah talk talk. It’s always like that. “OMG they beat us! They are cheating!”

Really, do you really think that we gonna loose our time to program toll juste to win a poll like that? COME ON! Really, we win fair, that’s all!

Cause really, do you know, how many it could take to program a bot? Do you really think that we all know how to do it? And did you have, just one proof that we use bots? No? So stop to tell stupids thing like that.

Thanks god, all the H5O’s fandom is not like you, you should grow up a little, lose a toll is not the end of the world!

• Bree says:

The bones fandom and a fair few others have accused you guys too. Your known for it. A friend of mine is in SPN fandom and openly admits they use bots and you guys are known for it too.

In the ‘real world’ who has been on magazine covers for being a hot guy and had a six page spread in Cosmo? Not Nathan.

Nathans cute and he was hot ten years ago in Firefly but he ain’t hot now and he ain’t a patch on Steve McGarrett. Who’d be a dirty boy in the sack, I can tell :)

• chessGod says:

Well, may be you see no appeal in Nathan Fillion, but others do. What you suggest, that his fans shouldn’t vote for him or what? They still will. And I don’t see much to be proud of in getting a spread in Cosmo. I mean, cool, good for him, more recognition for him etc, but you’re saying it like he got an Oscar or something. I doubt Nathan Fillion ever dreamed of being in Cosmo anyway. Not because he’s too good for it or too bad for it, his strengths and aspirations just lay in different direction. He’s a geek, mostly Internet-famous, his main selling point as a celebrity are his personality, wit and charisma. So? Many people find these traits crushable enough, and he’s not half bad to look at, abs or no abs, whatever you say.
            And at the risk of repeating previous posters, I really don’t understand what’s the obsession with abs. And no, it’s not a knee-jerk reaction of defending my favorite coz he has abs problems, I just honestly don’t see the connection between abs and crushability. Sure they don’t hurt, but it’s not a deal breaker for me. Like, at all. Nathan would do good to lose some pounds (as I see it, don’t hit me Castle fans), but in the meantime he doesn’t stop being an awesome person and a good actor. The poll is about crushes, not “who you would like to do a striptease for you?” and crush (for me) is as much if not more about wit and personality as about appearance. Dixi

• alexfan says:

You are right for about 60% it’s voting for the actor and the rest – for the show. Though I don’t agree with you about the character of Castle – he’s very entertaining and likable (just not as hot as McGarrett ;) ) Nathan Fillion has a very good reputation among fans and in the biz for being a very kind, honourable and smart guy, down to earth and very fun. He’s also a big geek and is called a Geek god by many (and long before EW declared him Geek god “officially”).

It’s actually the opposite situation with David Boreanaz – his popularity (and voting in polls) comes more from the fans of his show and women who are irrevocably in love with his face :) (not trying to offend anybody, I am in love with Alex myself ;) ). Nobody really knows much about him as a person and, dare I say, not everybody likes him or gets interested in him if they know.
      Nathan has a lot of male fans from his Whedon shows and other geeky stuff (I personally know several guys with giant man-crushes on him) and his fandom is built mainly around respect and interest in his personality, no matter as an actor or as a human being. He is also called a “ComicCon mayor”, is constantly referenced in video games or comics, and generally is some kind of idol/role-model for many geeks.

I used to be a huge Buffy fan and was into Whedonverse fandom to the point of going to cons and knowing stuff other, not crazy fans never knew. And I can safely say that my teenage infatuation with David was forgotten pretty soon under the weight of reality :) There’s a lot of dirt being dug up in such a close quarters fandom. And I can also safely say that probably nobody is more respected and loved among Whedonverse actors than Fillion. I literally never heard a bad word about him, which is odd cuz I heard’em about pretty much everybody. The guy seems to be some kind of Saint who is loved by all, always gets along with everyone he works with and even stays friends for years after. Whatever.

The point I was trying to make is that this kind of good rep really helps in the industry and with fans (whether it’s press coverage, being invited in cool projects or just voting in polls) and I think Alex has it too. May be not yet the same as Fillion, but he has years ahead of him and he’s gonna build it all right  So please Alex’fans, don’t go hating on Nathan Fillion, he’s a very cool guy. He is not on par with Alex FOR US, but he (and his character) is very “crushable” for many people. Please, respect the others’ opinion

40. PEARL says:

I LOVE CASTLE. AND THEY HAVE BECKET DOING EXCERSIZE, SO WAY DOESN’T CASTLEDO SOME ALSO, WOULDN’T HURT HIM. ALL THE PEOPLE IN CASTLE ARE JUST GREAT. FOR LOOKS AND GREAT ABS. I’D TAKE DAVID BOURNECE. OF BONES.

41. Sue says:

Castle is Not a COP!!!!

42. Christina says:

Alex’s acting sucks. CBS had to hire Terry O’Quinn for 9 episodes because they know Alex cannot carry the show. OMG. He has the same charisma than a Palm tree inthe show. He just stands there staring at the sun while Scott acts .

43. Vamps r forever says:

hehehehhe.
    I was told to come here and read the comments. Happy to see my Moonlight fans alive and kicking.You go girls!!!!
    I was a huge fan of Moonlight, now I am a HUGE Twilight fan.And yes,I don’t support Alex anymore.When I was told Alex and Hawaii were in the PCA, I voted and voted and voted and voted with lots of my Twilight friends to kick them out. Even my boyfriend’s friend helped .Funny how we voted for shows we don’t even watch.
    I think Alex knows by now his Moonlight fans are gone. Well, he always has Nina T, his biggest fan.She can vote for him.
    And as long as I am here , I voted for Castle ;) And I have never watched it, but I bet he is better than Alex, seems all he does these days is take off his shirt.Bleh.
    Team Edward!

• Traci says:

How lucky you are to have so much free time on your hands…Hopefully people reading these comments realize that some of us voting for Castle are really fans of the show as well as the leading man and not just petty crybabies who have a personal vendetta against Alex O’Loughlin. Alex is a great actor and seems like a really wonderful person, I just prefer Castle to Hawaii Five 0. I for one am glad he has moved on to a hit show and by reading other comments he seems to have some loyal, adoring fans out there. Grow up and stop making the true Castle fans look like whiny little a**holes. Nathan does not need your votes. He has plenty of real fans.

• vamps r forever says:

First ,I made clear I am not a castle fan.I dont watch network TV.

Second ,YOU are an Alex fan and no a Castle fan, because I have just saw u in an Alex site posting how u were going to come here and post that to make people think castle was winning the poll only because of Alex haters. Nice try, anyway ;). And BTW, that was low, at least i was sincere and didn’t try to hide under Castle fandom.

I am in college. Plenty of time.

• Traci says:

You saw me huh, so what am I wearing? I am a Castle fan, never been to an Alex site but you just admitted that you are voting because of hatred for Alex. My point is that Nathan could win this stupid poll even without people like you.

• five 0 forever says:

i think that might have been me she was talking about on the site and i & lots of other alex fans believe the only reason alex is getting beaten so badly is because of alex haters. make it a fair fight between castle & mcgarrett fans. i appreciate ur love for castle but there is no way he could win by this much if alex haters werent playing dirty

• hollyladyyb says:

I’ve known all along that a group of you are asking other fandoms and people to vote against Alex and spreading rumours and hate about him. Nice that one of you has at least admitted it. At the end of the day real Castle fans don’t deserve people like you hanging on their coat tales and they ought to be aware too that some of their number are ‘genuine’ fans of Nathan who switched their allegiances when Moonlight got cancelled and Alex dared stay with HFO. They need to know for the crazy that is going to come their way one day!

You people need genuine help.

• Molly M says:

What’s with all you crazy Moonlight weirdos out there? I loved that show and even have the DVD and now I love Castle, but why the heck do you expect Alex to sit around unemployed after all these years? Shows get cancelled all the time and the actors move on to other projects. God forbid you ever get fired cause my tax dollars will apparently be wasted on your nut jobs unemployment checks while you sit around watching your twilight DVDs all day long.
      I love Nathan Fillion but this Alex O’Loughlin bashing is really getting lame. I wish AOL the best of luck (yes some of us Moonlight fans still love him)and am sure he will do just fine in his career. He is hot as hell and a great actor too, but Nathan Fillion stole my heart years ago…

• EmilieVitnux says:

I’m a Castle’s fan, and I think it’s a shame that someone like you vote for my man.

Why do you hate Alex? Really?

Nathan was in a great TV-Show before Castle, called Firefly and even if I am a fan of Firefly, it doesn’t keep me for being a fan of Castle. And if I wasn’t a fan of Castle, I would certainly not becoming a Nathan Hater.

Stop to vote for Nathan Fillion/Castle, we really didn’t need you and your stupid friend to win this poll!

• daniel says:

so you and all your friends spent that much time spreading hateful comments about the man after his show got cancelled? what a really weird way to kick a guy when he’s down. can’t say youre not committed though because that was years ago

44. kelsie says:

Ha…just because a few castle fans don’t say Alex has horse teeth or can’t act must mean you’re working for us. Thank you for treating both actors with respect & there’s always room over here on the dark side if u wanna switch teams. ALEX FOREVER!

• Traci says:

He has very nice teeth but I will never switch teams! Nathan Forever! :)

• lana says:

Alex fans don’t know how to lose.
      They always find an excuse for Alex no winning a poll or no getting an award . A big conspiracy. I bet you all loved the X Files.
      A poll is a poll. Whatever the reasons are for people to vote, the one with the most votes, win !
      Try to find more people to vote for your guy, maybe you can win then and stop whinning.

• kelsie says:

I wasn’t whining I don’t even care who wins I was merely suggesting that it is quite plausible that some Castle fans can and probably do love Nathan Fillion without hating Alex O’Loughlin. Alex is my one true love (don’t take me too literally) but if he loses to Castle I’m sure I will be able to pick up the pieces and move on with my life. It is just a silly poll after all…………..

45. ally says:

Nathan will win.
    For the ones saying people is cheating, you are wrong. I tried to vote with my iPhone from different WiFi spots and still I could only vote once. Just because you can click in the poll that doesn’t mean your vote counts again. It has to say, Thanks for voting, so your vote counts.
    So Nathan is winning this one because more people is voting for him.
    I missed Castle yesterday :(

• Shaz says:

It seems that the poll allows you to vote once a day–I’ve voted three times in the poll (Sun, Mon, Tues) from the same computer without any cheats. I did try to vote more than once on Sun and got the “you already voted” message.

• Ally says:

Thanks, that was what I was trying to say.
        I think people keep clicking in the poll and getting back the “we have already counted your vote” and they think they are voting again.
        I don’t think you can vote more than once a day. So whoever wins, he wins because he got more votes, just that.
        I just hate when people try to say that Nathan is winning because we are cheating. As a Castle fan I never said that when Nathan lost a poll. I could said that the Chuck fans were voting against us.
        A poll is a poll. The most voted wins.

46. Karen says:

Seriously you crazy Moonlight fans make me embarrassed I was every a fan of that show. You say you were fans, when all you are doing is making a class act show a laughling stock at forums you post your same old BS. What are some of you ones who had fan sites, and stole thousands of dollars from members. Even years ago you put a black cloud over this show and proud you were known as a rabid fan base, yea you made us real proud. Now you go around making fun of Alex and his new show, & God help Jason, are you going to stalk him to if he gets a new show. I know what some of you have done, in the name of Moonlight fandom, and how your followers believed your BS campaign to save a show, and gave money you took literally to the bank, you make me sick. Castle fans this group is starting to give you that same rapid fan base rep, is that what you want?

• Moonlight Fan says:

Not all of us are psychos. I loved that show so much and still love Alex in Hawaii Five 0 and a bunch of his other stuff. He is extremely talented and yes, very easy on the eyes. If the crazy Alex haters want to be pissed at him for Moonlight go ahead. There are plenty of us who will always love him.

• kelsie says:

Aw that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside :) if the Moonlight haters ever get to my dear Alex and he needs a shoulder to cry on, I will be more than happy to provide one. A girl can dream, can’t she?

• Shaz says:

Every fandom has a rabid fringe element. The difference with Moonlight is that the crazy fans ended up in leadership positions in the fandom whereas in most fandoms the crazy fans stay on the fringe. So I don’t think Castle has anything to worry about.

47. Shaz says:

Come on! EVERY fandom cheats in these polls; the only difference is to what extent. In the past during other polls (that Alex has won), I’ve seen Alex fansites post instructions to fans about how to cheat the polls. So it’s disingenuous to complain about unfairness only when Alex is losing.

All of these internet polls (including the PCAs) are really just about who has the most dedicated fandom that will go to the biggest cheating lengths to win. Look at it that way and stop taking it so seriously like some grave injustice is being done if a poll isn’t 100% fair.

48. Tom says:

I voted for Nathan .
    It would be nice to se Stana in a poll.
    Thanks

49. Claire says:

I don’t understand why people need to make the winner a loser by saying people cheat or that some vote to make the other other lose.
    You dont get the fun of a poll.That’s the point of all. You vote for the one you love, you vote against the one you dislike and against the one that made your choice lose in the previous poll.
    People have several motivations to vote for someone or against someone . And all are valid.No need to get mean because of that.
    Guess u never voted in dwts.

50. Chuck Five-O says:

Uhhh…Castle’s not even a cop or any type of law-enforcement.

• Shaz says:

The poll is using law enforcement in the loosest sense. Several people in the poll aren’t technically law enforcement, e.g. Peter Bishop (an FBI consultant, not an agent) and Chuck Bartowski (spies don’t enforce the law).