'Law-Enforcement Crushes' Quarterfinals Begin: Castle's Castle vs. Hawaii Five-0's McGarrett!

We’ve reached the Quarterfinals of our Ultimate Law-Enforcement Crushes Bracket Tournament, which means our original field of 64 crime-fighting dreamboats has been whittled down to eight. Of course, with great hotness (in the remaining combatants) comes great heartache (for you, the voters). And today’s matchup — between a pair of smoldering timeslot competitors — is no exception.

Will it be Richard Catle, titular hero of ABC’s Castle, or Steve McGarrett, from CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 reboot? The choice in front of you may cause you to curl up in the emotional fetal position, but it’s your duty as a TV-loving citizen to vote in the poll below, then alert your friends and neighbors to do the same! As part of our single-elimination competition, only four law-enforcing hunks will advance to the semifinals.

Every afternoon over the next week, we’ll launch another set of face-offs that will test the strength of your respective character crushes. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Quarterfinals voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

Eventually, our battle will boil down to a finale that pits the ultimate old-school crime-fighter against the ultimate modern-day hero. (Their female counterparts will have their later this month.)

Oh, and if you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

On your mark, get set, vote!

1. diana says:

I voted won’t say for who. Watch and enjoy both shows. Yes, Alex probably has had work done on his teeth. He knows it, we fans know, but don’t care. We can look at Nathan and see the weight gain, he knows about it, we fans know,but don’t care

If we were real fans of these two men, we would not be rude, nor vicious in our comments. Because if Alex or Nathan saw us, I for one would not want to be a fly on the wall and hear their comments about our weight or cosmetic fixes.

If you live in a glass house don’t throw rocks.

Live long, cause from your comments we know your not happy.

2. Amanda says:

Castle!!! It’s his nerdy, sweet, protective and childishness that just makes his character so likable.

3. Maureen says:

CASTLE!!!!! Of course…

4. Erika says:

Castle because he is irresistibly lovable :)

5. helen rees says:

Castle who? Has to be Mcgarrett all the way! Hot hot hot!

6. aufa joe says:

CASTLE!!!!!da BOMMM!!!go castle go castle go castle!

7. Jolie says:

Castle for me anyday everyday.

8. Sue says:

Castle, because Nathan is the most charming, handsome, desirable, talented man on the planet.I met him in a Comic Con and fans got crazy with him.

• ann26 says:

I once partied with a guy who worked as crew with Nathan on Drive (wich was cancelled shortly). So when I asked he couldn’t stop raving about what a great guy Nathan is and how everybody on the set loved him to bits. Apparently he’s very generous, loves giving presents and keeps in touch with just about everyone in cast/crew of his previous projects. And super fun to hang out with. The guy definitly had a man-crush, so I told him as much and he agreed :) Yeah, I know that we’re talking characters here, and I’m sure that Alex is a swell guy, but this kind of stories just make you appreciate the actor so much more. So I’m voting Castle even if I’m more of a H50 fan as shows go. But the character of Castle and the actor playing him are just too fun and awesome to not vote for.

• Kristel says:

Oh i love you fir this comment!

• Kim R says:

I’ve never been on set or anywhere near any of the Castle cast/crew (hopefully one day…). But I have heard many, many accounts from a lot of other fans who have had the opportunity to visit the set or place they were filming, or just a convention. All of them have had nothing but great things to say about the Castle cast and crew. They are all very generous and nice to their fans, because they know that we are the reason they have a job. Nathan, and Stana especially, will not hesitate to come up to a fan who gets to watch something they are doing and talk to them. And I’m talking about fans that are hanging back because they don’t want to disturb the actors or seem like crazy fans. That goes for all of them, Seamus, Jon, and Tamara included. They love to talk to their fans and have actual conversations, make them feel like they really do care about them and that they are the only people in the room at the moment. What other show have you Ever heard of that Every Single cast member on set/location will come up to you and say “Hey! How are you doing? Do you want a picture or autograph? Lets sit and talk for a second” And genuinely mean it?! I have even seen evidence that Tamara and others have actually sat down and had lunch with fans that came and saw them. Who does that? The Castle cast does, that’s who. And I’ll touch lightly on the crew/fan interaction while I’m on it. Andrew and Terri, the Creators of the show, are always on twitter talking to their fans, answering questions, or just giving little tidbits on the show itself – where their filming, a spoiler, something that will drive people crazy… etc. (Terri does this more than Andrew, but still the point still stands). Then there’s the crew, we have crew members happily showing us pictures from behind the set, or what they have to do to figure out the lighting or costume work. They all care about each other and work together great, and it shows. I’m talking about the entire group as a whole, Cast included. Nathan, Stana, Seamus, Jon, Tamara, Andrew, Terri, the directors, and the Crew. They’re all friends and you can tell. It’s one of the many reasons Why this show is the way it is. Everyone clicks and has phenomenal chemistry. I don’t care if Nathan gained weight and is looking chubby, I don’t care if the other guy looks better, weight wise. He is 10-15 years younger than Nathan after all. I personally think that Nathan/Rick is nicer as a person and nicer looking than the other. And thats not just because of his outward appearance. When you’re attracted to someone do you just look at his/her looks? If your a very shallow person than yes, yes you do. But you also have to look at their personality. Nathan/Rick and the gang have that. And therefore, in case you couldnt already tell- that is exactly why I’m voting, and Always will, for Rick/Nathan.

9. Gillian Morrey says:

Castle Castle Castle. Such a joy to watch.

10. Paula says:

Castle of course!!!
    I’m all for Stana <3

11. maria says:

castle

castle

castle

12. yo says:

castle

Nathan

13. Kim says:

Richard Castle. No doubt, Richard Castle.

14. gt says:

i love kate beckett..she is for me the substance of the show..but gotta go w/ alex as the better hunk, he is australian and a good actor as well..plus alex follows stana katic on twitter while nathan doesnt follow stana, Go figure!

• quaro says:

I watched several Castle eps from 2-3rd seasons and stopped coz I didn’t like Beckett character,seemed so flat and not very interesting to me. Is she getting better in later seasons, I might start watching again?
      Also what is Alex’s twitter handle? And I don’t understand about who follows who, do you love Stana so much you only vote for those who follow her on twitter)))) I don’t know who vote for, I like H5O better than I like Castle and NF better than Alex, think I’m gonna miss this one

15. Relyks says:

Castle!!!!!!

16. Ashley Renee says:

I have a suggestion for this site, limit voting to no more than 25 votes per person during the poll, and see how this would change or at least make this somewhat fair. I am an Alex fan, and have a life, (unlike some fandoms), and voted a few times watching football yesterday, but I am a fan, not obsessed, so I will not be drawn into a pis…..ng contest with fandoms that are voting hundreds of times a day per fan, or those using BOTS. POLLS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FUN, AND SHOULD KINDA BE FAIR, and that goes for both groups.

• Shaz says:

Are you serious? I remember other polls where Alex fansites not only encouraged fans to vote as often as possible (with one fan bragging about voting several hundred times a day). But the sites also gave instructions on how to clear the browser cache, etc., so fans could bypass any limits on voting that the polls had.

So are you seriously suggesting that when Alex is losing a poll, steps should be taken to limit voting. But when Alex is winning a poll, sites should allow people to cheat as much as they want?

17. I Love Chuck says:

Castle fans and BOTS is so true. I live on a big, big TV site that one time didn’t count the votes for Castle because of them using BOTS, then I think they dropped to fourth or fith place after that.

• g-pr says:

Hmmm.. So how it goes, living on a site?
      Honestly though, this fandom business is disgusting. I wouldn’t ever want to associate myself with any kind of fandom :) Voting for Nate and off with me!

18. Nicole says:

CASTLEEEE <3

19. Nicole says:

Her character is great right now! More emotional and open. Less closed off.

20. Mayra says:

I love Castle. He’s adorable. But the question is who’s more crushable. McGarrett all the way!

21. Suzy says:

I voted for Alex, lol a few years ago I would have been one of those fans that voted all night and even get a BOTS (if I knew what that was) to get Alex to win, but not any more. It’s not that I don’t like him any less, it’s just that I think he is doing just fine with out me being crazy. His show is the top demo (18-49) show at 10:00 with all the networks (and that is the biggest thing for networks and advertisers), he had a 3 page story in InStyle this spring, on the cover of Men’s Fitness in Aug, and of course the six pages in Cosmo this October, I think he is going to be okay (lol). As far as PCA, okay basically the voting for that award show is no different than this site, so Castle fans go nuts. If that award show had any merit certain shows would not be cancelled that won, or you couldn’t vote a bizillion times.

A QUESTION FOR CASTLE FANS, I WAS HAS CRAZY AS YOU WHEN I THOUGHT ALEX NEEDED HELP TO KEEP HIS SHOWS ALIVE. So either you guys are just crazy (because the show is still doing very well), or you are a tad worried that H50 is winning the almighty demo, or there is people out there with a real dislike for Alex, and that would be very personal.

• Bluejays says:

They are using bots and showing their crazy because their guy has already won against other guys that are much bigger stars and heart throbs in real life.

A lot of Alex’s older Moonlight fans – the crazy ones who used to sit up all night voting for him and making him win every poll when no one had heard of him out of Moonlight fandom – are now Castle fans and also on top of that hate Alex. So they are full of zeal! They also have all the time in the world.

I like HFO and Alex but I’m not a huge Alex fan (prefer the Walking Dead to HFO and Jensen Ackles to Alex) but he is definitely more of a hearthrob amongst people I know than Nathan Fillion. He is also more of a name and a hearthrob than he was when on Moonlight but he doesn’t win the polls because most people don’t vote in stuff like this, only hard core fans. And a lot of Alex’s hard core fans have turned against him for daring to work. Winning these polls says nothing about how many people know you and like you out there. It just says who has a crazier fan base. I think Nathan definitely wins that award.

• rj says:

hear hear
      the castle fans were pretty rude in castle vs booth poll too
      pretty crazy but i guess its the nf effect :p

• cava says:

Yeah, many Castle fans are pretty rude. And stupid. Also many H5O fans are pretty rude. And stupid. Many Bones fans are pretty rude. And stupid. I’m not even talking about SPN fans. Not that there are more stupid rude people there, just not talking cuz you see what I mean by now. I’m loling all over the place when I see some people seriously thinking that THEIR fandom is more classy than others. That is just biologically impossible.
        And I’m surprised every time when people start denigrating actual actors from other fandom’s shows and assume that they are in some way responsible for their fans’ behavior.
        Now, that was long winded, but I hope, RJ, you’re joking and don’t really think that Nathan Fillion is a classless meany hating on people left and right.
        That would’ve been really stupid :)

22. Cottage101 says:

Anyone thinking that the semi-finals are gonna be Castle vs. Gibbs too?? No way Alex would stand a chance against Gibbs, Castle actually could beat him, so he’s got my vote here. Also, he is awesome.

23. TO NCIS FANS says:

Castle fans so cheat. Hey if they are playing dirty, let’s go there. I love NCIS and I love H50, Gibbs and McGarrett, two CBS guys, let’s play fair. Let’s put these two together, and may the best man win, fair………………

• EmilieVitnux says:

It’s really funny to see that everytimme someone win a poll like that. The fandom who lose always say “BAAAAAAAH They are cheating”

Really? Do you really think that all the Castle’s fan know enough to program a bot just to win a poll like that?

Really, people? Really?

24. Ashley Renee says:

OMG I love it, and only because I hate people that cheat. NCIS fans I would love to see Gibbs/McGarrett, and play fair, but if Castle wins, trust us, we know what they are doing you can’t win…

25. Cate says:

Seen as Alex already has an urban dictionary phrase named after him ‘The AOL Effect’ referring to the amount of married men who get lucky after watching HFO on a Monday night I declare him the winner!

On a serious note this poll is a bit crazy. No way would Bones lose if this were not being skewed by some very hard core Castle fans. David is a huge sex symbol in real life and always in magazines and being talked about in a way that Castle just isn’t. Same goes for Alex. I don’t know anyone who lusts after Castle (well my aunty does but no one of my age) all these polls do is show who has the crazier fan base and who has a lot of time on their hands. When Nathans on the cover of Mens Fitness I’ll glance his way, till then no amount of twinkling charm can overcome the body that Steve Bamf McGarrett has.

26. Caroline says:

McGarrett EVERY time. Gorgeous.

27. Sue says:

Castle all the way he just keeps getting better

28. Lisa says:

“BOTS”, that is hilarious. I would bet that just as many people watch H50 for Scott Caan as they do for AO.

• Becks says:

I watch for all the cast. Your point? The basic fact is that when it comes to looks Alex is a better looking man than Nathan fillion. He could be on the cover of GQ (oh wait he has been) or Mens Fitness (oh wait he has been). Now Castle as a character might have a charm that makes him sexy (I don’t personally think he does but I think the show is a weak version of murder she wrote with a dash of Moonlighting) but he is categorically not hotter than Alex on a physical level.

And a lot of people watch Castle for other cast members. Indeed my older relatives who love the show watch for Beckett the most.

• g says:

The basic fact is that all of this (talent, hotness, crushability, even looks) is subjective. I’m 26 and I like Nathan Fillion verrry much)) I totally dig other characters/actors on the show, just a bit less than him. And I am not surprised that somebody watches the show for Bechett or Esposito. So your point?
        I went through all the comments and it looked pretty nasty overall, whether from the Castle side or H5O side. And I noticed your comments couple of times. Do you have something personal against Nathan Fillion or you just think that you gonna persuade some of his fans to not be his fans, I wonder? Well, that won’t work with me, so better find something positive to comment on, about Alex or the weather or something. You’ll feel better, trust me)))

29. Anya says:

STEVE MCGARRETT no doubt!! H50 :D

30. GILDA says:

STEVE FOREVER !!!!!1

31. Seriously says:

If Castle fans are getting away with this, without being monitored on this site, then the Booth, McGarrett and most likely the Gibb fans are being scr….ed. So next year don’t even bother doing this, just give the award to Castle. I am sure your site will do well with just Castle fans.

32. Cathy says:

Absolutely McGarrett!! The contest is law enforcement crush….and McGarrett makes me wish he would arrest me just so he would frisk me!!!

33. Athena says:

Castle.
    ’nuff said.

34. Alex says:

After the Booth vs. Castle vote, this one is simple for Castle!

35. Just Think & Shut UP says:

H5O FANS STOP VOTING, LET CASTLE WIN, IT IS ONLY GOING TO HURT THIS SITE. Castle fans, it is amazing that (maybe one) didn’t disagree with using BOTS.

So it seems this site, has not a problem with using these, so NCIS fans gear up.

H5O stop voting, and go to other sites, because this site doesn’t get it.

• EmilieVitnux says:

OMG, it’s unbelievable. Us, Castle’s fan we are really good, cause all of us are using BOTS. Yes, yes, yes everyone of us, know how to program a bot. And of course we have nothing to do that to use all our knowing juste to win a poll like that.

Maybe you should think before typing something like that. It’s stupid to always think that the winner is using bots.

36. Tina says:

As a fan of both shows and both actors I have to admit some of the comments by by fellow Castle fans are very disturbing. It is possible to like Nathan without ripping Alex apart. Both men are handsome, charming and terrific actors. Yes, it’s a shallow poll but it’s all in good fun. Aside from a childish and ridiculous comment about Nathan’s weight the H50 fans have been much more respectful, so I hope McGarrett wins this one.

• Becks says:

A lot of the Castle fans are ex Moonlight fans who now personally dislike Alex. You can see that already a couple have mentioned things like ‘it’s a pity Alex couldn’t bring his charisma from his Moonlight days’ or ‘he’s changed and done his teeth’. These are all the complaints of the Moonlighters who have hated him ever since he dared to sign up for HFO and earn a living.

I doubt they are genuine Castle fans more Moonlight turned Castle lovers who hate Alex.

37. MelK says:

McGarrett gets my vote every time!

38. Just Think & Shut Up says:

Castle fans do you think after your frantic postings, is changing the fact that H50 was 3.1 to your 2.4 demo rating last week, no wait for it, no it didn’t change. Sorry this site I lost a lot of respect, REALLY MICHAEL SO SAD, YOU WENT WITH THIS POLL WITH ANYTHING GOES, and I actually thought TV Guide sucked with out you.

39. Tamara says:

Dear MICHAEL SLEZAK please next time call it the Castle poll so all other fandoms can go voting somewhere else I don’t vote now it’s ridiculous! Let the next time everyone vote one time that is so more honest to all the other fandome do not you think!!!!!

Castle fans you can have your victory but know for sure now you never will win the demo’s because you guys don’t have a vote in to that!!

HAWAII FIVE O FOREVER!!!!!

40. MoxieSue says:

Captain Tightpants for the win!

41. Ohoud Musaed says:

Ohh! Chuck Lost I Can’t Believe it I Really Like Him So Much.. But There is McGarrett Of Course He Has My Vote! Gorgeous, Fantastic ♥♥ !!
    GOOOOOO MCGARRRRRRRRRRRRRETTTT XDD ()

42. Mary-Rose says:

can’t vote… want.both!

43. Tagrid says:

Ohhh this was SOOO hard! But Nathan’s charisma just won out. It’s too bad the McGarret character never DID have the charisma Alex was able to show as a vampire (HOT). But, Nathan’s shown his natural charisma in his younger roles on Buffy (evil) and Firefly (roguish) – and it has just carried over even in this more mature role.

The one that’s gonna be REALLY hard will be Alias vs Jump Street!

44. Seriously ever fan site says:

I know it is stupid, BUT THIS FAN SITE JUST MAKES ME NUTS, I WANT TO SEE NUMBERS THAT CASTLE WON, MINUS THEIR BOTS, RIGHT FRAKIN NOW. IF YOU ARE A SITE, STOP THE FREAKING BOTS NOW.

45. Laura says:

Nathan is gettin’ so FAT

46. Wanstock says:

When you vote too many times, the site actually block you for a little while… So I don’t think they won because of bots… Stop being sore losers… You must be a bones fan right? Like your fandom never use bots… Stop being pathetic

47. AN says:

I don’t understand how one could cheat in this poll, or rather, why one would even bother to cheat… As far as I know, you can only vote once.

That being said, I vote for Castle all the way.

48. Claudia Fertron says:

Castle fans are no cheating. Get a life.
    So we cheated in the PCA awards too? And in the TV Guide Fan Awards? probably in the Golden Globes and Emmys too? Wow! We are so powerful.
    I think you guys are just angry because you voted as crazy and Alex didn’t make it into the PCA. Castle won because it is a better show and Nathan is way more popular than Alex.
    If Hawaii was better and Alex did something else than taking off his shirt, then maybe he could get more votes.But he is bland there, no lovable at all.Scott is way better than him.Stop blaming others and put the blame where it belongs.

49. Kim R says:

Everybody is talking about how the Castle fans are being rude and cheating and bringing up nasty comments. I want to throw this question out to you all. Who was it that started saying that it would be stupid to vote for Nathan/Rick because he has gained a few pounds? Who was it that first said that the Castle fandom Must be cheating because that’s the only way that Castle could win this *ONE TIME ONLY VOTE* poll? It sure wasn’t us who kept saying that Rick isn’t even a cop so he shouldn’t be included in this poll. I’ll tell you this, when Emily/Bones shows up in the woman’s poll, that will be happening in a couple weeks, you won’t see any Castle fan going off on about how Brennan is not a cop therefore she should not be included. And if you do, your also going to see another Castle/Stana fan telling them to be quiet and to be respectful to the other fanbase and its show. We’re not the ones being rude here, and we’re not the ones starting silly fights. We try to stay out of it, and if you see us getting involved, more often than not it is because we are sick of others saying things about it. This is the most respectful group of people I have seen/known to be agreeing on one thing as a whole. Please everyone just stop with the bickering and fighting. I hope Rick wins, but if he doesn’t, well good job to that character/fanbase/show. So I’d like to end this with: May the best Guy win! Good luck.

50. Enough says:

Wow. Just wow. You really wonder why Castle fans aren’t responding? They’ve gone from being rude and inconsiderate to cheaters using bots in less than a minute. Take a look back and tell me that the last 10+ posts didn’t turn into a snowball effect of bashing Castle fans that tops it all off with ‘Nathan is gettin’ so FAT.’ Yeah, real respect there. Treat people the way you want to be treated; you want respect, you should give it in return.

I don’t know if this has just been overlooked or people haven’t bothered to read the whole main post, but it’s CHARACTERS, not ACTORS being voted on. AO doesn’t matter, Nathan doesn’t matter, Moonlight doesn’t matter, Firefly doesn’t matter, etc. It’s McGarrett and Castle only.

SLEZAK- I don’t know if you read all these comments, but may I just offer up the idea of only allowing a short word limit in the comments? Maybe look at the poll participants and base how many letters should be allowed so the voters can only comment on the name of who they voted for? It would go a long way to ending these childish bashing sessions and cause less tension between fandoms.