'Law-Enforcement Crushes' Quarterfinals Begin: Castle's Castle vs. Hawaii Five-0's McGarrett!

We’ve reached the Quarterfinals of our Ultimate Law-Enforcement Crushes Bracket Tournament, which means our original field of 64 crime-fighting dreamboats has been whittled down to eight. Of course, with great hotness (in the remaining combatants) comes great heartache (for you, the voters). And today’s matchup — between a pair of smoldering timeslot competitors — is no exception.

Will it be Richard Catle, titular hero of ABC’s Castle, or Steve McGarrett, from CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 reboot? The choice in front of you may cause you to curl up in the emotional fetal position, but it’s your duty as a TV-loving citizen to vote in the poll below, then alert your friends and neighbors to do the same! As part of our single-elimination competition, only four law-enforcing hunks will advance to the semifinals.

Every afternoon over the next week, we’ll launch another set of face-offs that will test the strength of your respective character crushes. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Quarterfinals voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

Eventually, our battle will boil down to a finale that pits the ultimate old-school crime-fighter against the ultimate modern-day hero. (Their female counterparts will have their later this month.)

Oh, and if you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

On your mark, get set, vote!

Comments (477)

• What the hell Slezak? I’m so torn I don’t even know if I can vote! Both so scrumptious in their own unique ways. Gahhhhhhh!

Comment by Christina – November 13, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Apparently true Alex fans know, he doesn’t really care about competitions like this. Win or lose, he knows who his real fans are and how much we support him.

Comment by Maddy – November 13, 2011 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *likes*

Comment by mickmcgarrett – November 13, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I bet he didn’t care about not getting the PCA nom, right?
      Wonder then why was Hawaii 50 director Peter L. asking people all the time on Twitter to vote for him and the show in the PCA. Seems to me they cared , a lot. Too bad “true Alex fans” are just a small bunch so they made no difference at all in the voting.

Comment by Pam – November 13, 2011 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No worse than you begging for votes for Nathan during your twitter drive/voting frenzy as you call it.

Comment by ** – November 13, 2011 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, but we WON !

Comment by Pam – November 13, 2011 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Would you like a trophy or something? I only brought it up because you did. Your the one bad-mouthing this guy for doing the exact same thing you just did.

Comment by ** – November 13, 2011 09:07 PM PDT
        • I don’t think she was criticizing the begging for votes. Just saying that begging didn’t get Alex get enough votes from fans for a nomination but it did get Nathan enough.

Comment by Shaz – November 13, 2011 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Short memories? Alex fans have been bombarding online polls for years and often winning them. I remember in one poll, a fan bragged about voting 600 times a day! It just seems that this time (so far, at least) Alex is pitted against someone who has a larger (or more dedicated) fanbase. So no sour grapes, Alex fans. Besides, thanks to you, Alex’s charity recently placed 2nd in the Cadilac charity challenge, which is a far bigger and more meaningful accomplishment than yet another online poll designed to drive hits on a website.

Comment by Shaz – November 13, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • And Castle fans just had a Charity Event raising $$ for , Puppies Behind Bars, The Young Storytellers Foundation and Best Friends Animal Society.
            All TV shows and actors help with charity events , I just didn’t think this was the place to mention it, but because you did, I decided to post it.

Comment by Emily – November 13, 2011 09:53 PM PDT
          • Alex doesn’t care about awards. Lenkov wanted him and HFO to place of course but Alex doesn’t care. He never puts himself up for any so that shows he doesn’t care, the actors put themselves forward for Golden Globe and Emmy noms and Alex never does. Yet Nathan does, as if Castle is ever going to win an emmy!

Also in the real world – rather than a totally stupid vote where nutty people can vote a gazillion times – no way is this poll representative. Because if so Bones would not have gone out. David Boreanz is a much bigger hearthrob in real life with way more women lusting after him but he’s gone out to an older, fatter guy that no one I know cares about. The fact is that a few majorly insane fans vote repeatedly on these things. Any poll that isn’t a one time only voting thing is totally irrelevant as nine times out of ten it’s about fifty crazy people who need a job or a hobby. Or someone who fixes it with a bot.

Comment by Bluejays – November 14, 2011 05:53 AM PDT
          • @ Bluejays-
            So you basically just said that Castle is the better fanbase/show by saying, “Any poll that isn’t a one time only voting thing is totally irrelevant as nine times out of ten it’s about fifty crazy people who need a job or a hobby.” In case you haven’t noticed, this is a one time only poll and yet Castle Still beat out Bones AND is currently beating H50.
            I don’t understand these fandom wars, why cant we all just like a show and its characters and be done with it. The only good thing coming from it is it brings to light who the classier fanbases are…

Comment by Kim R – November 14, 2011 08:04 AM PDT
          • Bluejays, you just don’t know Nathan Fillion’s fans personally so you think he’s not that popular. Boreanaz was a mainstream star way longer than Fillion, but Fillion had an enormous “grass roots” kind of popularity for years and his fans are way more varied and loyal because of that. As I see it, when he got the Castle gig all those fans (+ new ones) just got their chance to “express their love” and talk about him in mainstream.
            If you noticed he gets way more press coverage than “Castle” actualy deserves, being an average kind of show. I think it’s because he has a lot of press people as his fans from those years of being nice and friendly and underappreciated. Plus the cult geek factor. Knowing Nathan Fillion is considered to be cool and hip and all that.

I am a die-hard Alex fan but I have to admit that Fillion’s kind of popularity kinda fascinates me and I think he’s a very interesting guy. He’s not as hot as Alex, that’s true, but he’s not a nobody at all. And I don’t like hating on him, he seems like a very good man.

BTW Boreanaz is 2 years older than Fillion

Comment by alexfan – November 14, 2011 08:43 AM PDT
          • I dont care about geek cool, fillion is nothing to me. I’m apalled to see that Alex is loosing to this guy when he in fact is more popular an hotter. I dont see what you see in him,he seems like an average guy who happened to get on TV by chance and I dint think he has many fans really,just some crazies. His not interesting,geeks are not cool,I dont know what your talking about, look at him and look at Alex.Alex looks like a demigod and this guy like an avarage hungover guy on the street

Comment by kia – November 15, 2011 04:45 AM PDT
  • McGarrett of course

Comment by Rosie – November 13, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Nathan!!!
    Vote for him in the PCA in the TV drama actor category, and for Castle in TV crime series!!!!

Comment by Nat – November 13, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you want to stare at someone go with AO. If you want funny, charming, intelligent, handsome, and a self depricating wit that is unmatched on television then this poll is simple. NF as Castle.

Comment by Lisa – November 13, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Castle doesn’t win, this world is unjust.

Comment by Elizabeth – November 13, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No worries. We made the PCA. Nathan and our Castle cast will be in our TVs on January in the PCA ceremony. Everyone will watch them! That is awesome for Nathan and our show.

Comment by Lucia – November 13, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hey, I’m Nathan’s fan, but even I think you’re a bit too sure of yourself and annoying. Nobody won PCA yet and neither Nathan no Castle need this sort of annoying fans hating on other fandoms and actors. Stay classy please

Comment by jaya – November 14, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alex is gonna win this! Alex will beat this round! I’m not gonna let Castle get away with this!!
    VOTE FOR ALEX O’LOUGHLIN!!!
    COME ON PEOPLE!!!

Comment by Mrs O'Loughlin/McGarrett – November 13, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How many times can u vote here? When u read,We have already counted your vote, that means you cannot vote again?

Comment by Ann – November 13, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McGarrett all the way! Alex O’Loughlin is a god

Comment by Kellie – November 13, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McGarrett!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by alavenia – November 13, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally agree -AOL handsome and super witty.

Comment by Mcgarrett all the way – November 13, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Alex will win this one because Nathan’s fans are too busy voting for him in the People’s Choice Awards. Of course Alex’s fans have nothing to do there ;)

Comment by keira – November 13, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McGarrett all the way. He’s hot, he’s intense, he’s charming and he is a total BAMF! The look he gets in his eyes sometime makes me wanna make out with the freaking tv screen.

Comment by Jessica – November 13, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I might have actually done it….

Comment by Isabelle – November 13, 2011 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just cannot get enough of Alex O’Loughlin……

Comment by Rusty – November 13, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McGarrett!! Alex is the best! <3

Comment by Alyssa – November 13, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still Richard Castle for me. The other guy may be all fit and stuff, but Castle has those amazing baby-blue eyes and gorgeous smile. Plus, he’s a gentleman, funny and adores the ladies around him, will do anything for them and his friends. Now that’s my idea of a crushable man. So, therefor him.

Comment by CharlieBlue – November 13, 2011 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, Nathan is a gentleman, as is RC. And I am voting for him. But AS a gentleman, I doubt he’d be pleased with the obnoxious rudeness of some of my fellow fans. No need to denigrate the man you don’t choose. And btw, Stana is friends with that man. He is supposedly also a gentleman himself. Even more reason to behave like a decent human being here.

Comment by NewMommy – November 13, 2011 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, I am fully aware of, that Stana is friends with Alex and I wasn’t really aware that my comment was harsh. All I said was, that I’m not into the fit guys body-wise – I wasn’t commenting on Alex O’Loughlin’s personality.
        Which ties into this: I was talking about CASTLE as a character, cause that is who we are voting for here. The characters they play, NOT the actors playing the characters. I’m just more attracted to the likes of Castle’s personality, than the likes of Steve McGarratt.
        I have explained myself and that’s all I’m going to say about this. Alright.

Comment by CharlieBlue – November 13, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why people have to diss the person they’re not voting for. Just vote, say something nice about your guy and move on. Geez!

Comment by Terry – November 13, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has to be Alex. Some say he doesn’t have talent. Playing the straight man is ALWAYS the hardest thing to do. I have seen some of his other work, and he is totally different in those rolls. So, he’s hot, smart, talanted and just look at his eyes. They say more than words. :)

Comment by pixiegold – November 13, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hawaii Five O all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Marrisa – November 13, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Again, we’re voting for the character, NOT the actor. Which discounts Alex’s charming accent, or Nathan’s internet presence. Between the two characters, I would choose Castle’s charm, twinkling eyes, humor and intelligence over Steve’s abs every time.

Comment by MelindaB – November 13, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The other guy’s not bad, but Steve McGarrett is one hot piece of ass. Those abs, those biceps, that adorable smile…is it Monday yet?

Comment by Jenny – November 13, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nathan is just soooo charming.

Comment by Martha – November 13, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Alex, he is amazaing!!!

Comment by Janet – November 13, 2011 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as a straight dude i’m gonna have to go with McGarrett cause he gets my girl hot and i always get lucky after H50. remind me to send that guy a thank you note.

Comment by matt – November 13, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle, Castle, Castle and Nathan, Nathan, Nathan all the way!

Comment by southerngirl – November 13, 2011 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McGarrett rocks baby:)!!!!

Comment by Sami – November 13, 2011 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McGarrett, has to be

Comment by Sami – November 13, 2011 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good to see the so called ‘mature’ Castle fandom at work again. Big laugh!!You all going to dig up dirt on Alex to make him look bad to.

Comment by Anonymous – November 13, 2011 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Castle (and Nathan Fillion), but McGarrett is definitely hotter.

Comment by Mikaylah – November 13, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those eyes, :). Nathan is adorable and always so nice with his fans. A Total class act.

Comment by Julia – November 13, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McGarrett all the way. I love Castle too but not the same way, McGarrett has it all.

Comment by Isabelle – November 13, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t go wrong with Castle! Hands down my favorite along with the rest of the cast. They always make me laugh!

Comment by Kristy – November 13, 2011 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to stop laughing. Alex O is completely hotter in every single way… bod, personality, eyes, charm, wit and sorry Castle is obese! Why is it that if an actress gains 5 lbs, OMG she’s a heffer but nobody thinks anything that Castle looks like he ate a PAN-AM plane!
    Fuggin’ hypocrites!

Comment by Jasmine – November 13, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Voted McGarrett, but have a question. Have you seen anyone obese, like, ever? I have. So let’s not get carried away here, Nathan is not obese in the least, not very fit – that I agree with. I just don’t like when people start to exaggerate this things just because it’s the “stars” we’re talking about. You would never call obese a guy like that in real life, would you? It’s just not true. So let’s imagine like we all are real people here and behave accordingly

Comment by cava – November 13, 2011 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 5 or 8 pounds up or down r easiy fixable. But at least Nathan has a natural smile instead of a porcelain smile as Alex .That is not fixable. :)

Comment by Tammy – November 13, 2011 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What a rude specimen of human.

Nathan’s a big guy – big, not fat. As Castle he’s always dressed in stuffy suits. Have you seen him in a tshirt? Yeah. Checkmate.

Comment by Tallulah – November 13, 2011 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has to absolutely, positively, no doubt about it be Castle. He’s a man, a real man and Nathan plays him so well. McGarrett is terrible, no character at all. Alex isn’t bad to look at but it’s going to take more than his looks to have a career. I’ve seen him in a couple of movies and he wasn’t bad but on this show he’s terrible. If you took his gun away he’d just be a pretty face standing around doing nothing.

Comment by kadydid – November 13, 2011 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Again, that is your opinion. I hope your not stating what your saying as fact. People who dislike Castle can say the same thing about him.

Comment by ** – November 13, 2011 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CASTLE IS NOT EVEN IN LAW ENFORCEMENT.

Comment by Jillian – November 13, 2011 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle beat Booth? (how it should be, but whoooa)
    I’m thinking he might actually win the People’s Choice -feed the birds-

Comment by Tallulah – November 13, 2011 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Only reason is because you all cheated and you will not change my mind about that. Again, your opinion. Given a fair shot, the votes for Booth might have came out differently. Are you not counting your chicks before they hatch? Castle has not won yet and until he does I would not be tooting my own horn, yet.

Comment by ** – November 13, 2011 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What gets me is how all the fanbases against Castle are saying that we cheated our way to the top. Why do you all keep saying that? We wouldn’t say it about you if we were losing. “Oh we’re not winning so the opposing group cheating is the ONLY option available as to why we didn’t win.” Yeah that’s it, considering we’re all so tech savvy and can hack into tvline’s computer and put in a million votes for Rick/Nathan. When are people going to grow up and realize that This poll is a ONE VOTE ONLY poll! Even if Castle doesn’t win I’ll still be proud of our fandom, just because we’re Not a bunch of crybaby sore losers.

Comment by Kim R – November 14, 2011 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oh shuddup half you guys are voting for nathan fillion and not richard castle himself

Comment by lexi – November 14, 2011 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle all the way

Comment by allison – November 13, 2011 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Richard Castle all the way! A guy who makes you laugh always wins in my book

Comment by Cher – November 13, 2011 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is this even a question? yes, Castle is charming and all, but Alex o. has to be the hottest guy in the universe!!!!

Comment by blushingbride – November 13, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Abs? Hotness? age? weight? These are all shallow basis for deciding in who to vote. Yes the poll is abt who’s crushable, but ppl need to know that it takes more than the reasons above to be really crushable. That being said, NATHAN / CASTLE for the win! he is hot, talented, funny, charming, geeky, adorable, dorky, handsome, and he is not fat as many of u will say! Solid fans have loved him for years and we will love him forever! Go Castillions and Browncoats!

Comment by kristel – November 13, 2011 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ARE YOU KIDDING UMM RICHARD CASTLE DUHH

Comment by Layken – November 13, 2011 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Voted for Steve but the guy from castle is not fat.

Comment by kelly – November 13, 2011 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he totally is compare the s1 and s4 photos big difference

Comment by rj – November 14, 2011 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i swear i saw him taking it off on the insider he’s wearing a fake front part hair & he showed it to the reporter i swear

Comment by kari oloughlin – November 13, 2011 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • haha, swear away, it won’t make you right. It’s a well known trick Nathan does, watch here at 0:25 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_afnu8Xx20

Comment by garth – November 13, 2011 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? Took it off? As in removed it from his head and u saw his scalp? Post a video to prove it. Evryone who knows Nathan knows that its a trick he does, even did it in Castle.

Comment by ??? – November 14, 2011 03:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DON’T MAKE ME CHOOSE!!!!!

*head explodes*

Comment by Ace – November 13, 2011 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle, always.

Comment by Caro – November 13, 2011 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CASTLE!!!!!(:

Comment by Beccaboo – November 13, 2011 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without any doubt Castle. I love Castle and I wonder why there is no DVD serie in Italy

Comment by Silvia Massa – November 13, 2011 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Long live the Geek God… Nathan Fillion as Castle of course!

Comment by Karen – November 13, 2011 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow smart move to put these two men opposite to each other My vote will go to Alex and thats only because some Castle fans say nasty things about, why Alex don’t have a PCA nomination. I’m 54 years old so I have seen many shows but I never have seen such a nasty fandom as the Castle’s fans. Show some RESPECT for some other fandom to PLEASE!!

Comment by Bea – November 13, 2011 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Honestly, I like both shows and see rudeness by (a minority of) people on both sides.

Comment by Shaz – November 13, 2011 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oh, believe me, all fandoms are alike in that respect

Comment by carah – November 13, 2011 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle all the freaking way. Nathan is such a hottie!

Comment by Caskett – November 13, 2011 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post