Dexter Boss Teases a 'Life-Altering Realization' for Deb, More Professor Gellar Mysteries

Get More: Interviews, Previews, Scoop

Will Deb ever discover the true identity of her vigilante/serial-killing brother? It’s the question that’s been hanging over the Showtime thriller (airing Sundays at 9/8c) for six seasons now, and in a recent interview with TVLine, showrunner Scott Buck hinted that said reveal may not be as far away as you think. The exec producer also helped unravel the mystery that is Professor Gellar and his sidekick Travis, and teased another shocking finale.

TVLINE | Deb appears to be increasingly conflicted with just about everything in her life. Is this something that continues throughout the remainder of the season?
Her journey by the end of the season will reveal some very life-altering realizations. Deb is someone who is very much a spur-of-the-moment, acting-on-every-impulse person; she’s not someone who has taken the time to peer too deeply within. [At the end of the season there] will be a circumstance in which she will finally do that; she’ll discover things about herself that she didn’t really know before.

TVLINE | In particular, Deb seems frustrated in her relationship with her brother Dexter. Will that factor into the aforementioned realization?
There’s going to continue to be strain for these two as Deb continues to examine her relationship with her brother. She’ll perhaps take a step back and look at her brother in a slightly different light…

Exclusive: Dexter Boss on the Shocking Return of [Spoiler Alert]!

TVLINE | Let’s discuss the mystery shrouding Professor Gellar. The widespread theory is that he is not alive and, therefore, functioning as Travis’ version of Harry. Care to comment?
We’re trying to be a little bit different this year and not go down some of the typical paths we’ve gone. There are surprises along the way, so I don’t want to say too much about that, but [Gellar] is obviously a very important character for Dexter’s arc this season.

TVLINE | So, there’s no way I’ll get you to confirm or deny his existence?
[Laughs] By saying yes or no it will send people off in one direction or the other, so I’d rather keep them guessing about who this guy is.

TVLINE | Travis is difficult to read, though in recent weeks he seems to be coming more into his own. Are there more layers to him that will be peeled back as the season progresses?
His character is going to go through some radical changes and will ultimately surprise people very much toward the end when they see exactly who he is. He is not exactly who he seems to be, this tortured, tormented character.

TVLINE | And it’s safe to assume there is more to come between Travis and his sister?
There will be some big changes coming up between Travis and his sister, played by Molly Parker.

Dexter‘s Jennifer Carpenter on the Deb/Dex Scene She’s ‘Scared’ Of

TVLINE | Dexter’s secondary characters — namely Quinn, Masuka and Batista — seem to be acting out this season, treating cases and evidence  frivolously. Will their actions come back to haunt them?
These are characters who are taking steps in the wrong direction and there will be consequences for everything that they do.

TVLINE | Comparatively, we’ve seen a lot less of LaGuerta this year. Was that a plot device or a behind-the-scenes decision?
LaGuerta continues to be very important to the show. We’ve just moved her upstairs to a new position [within the precinct], but by the end of the season, she’ll prove to be even more powerful than we ever realized.

TVLINE | Should fans expect a cliffhanger finale, à la Trinity’s season, or something more closed-ended, like last year?
Our finale opens more doors than it closes.

Comments (46)

• I heard a rumour that Deb is going to reealize that the reason she’s chosen to be with such terrible guys is because she’s gay. Anyone else hear that?

Comment by Rocky – November 13, 2011 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I haven’t heard anything officially but I completely agree with this theory. All season I’ve been getting a gay vibe from Deb, and with the introduction of her therapist it doesn’t seem impossible.

Comment by Steph – November 13, 2011 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually thought deb was going to develop a relationship like that with batista’s niece but then she ended up with the lab intern.

Comment by Cat – November 14, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deb gay? Possible, I suppose but I think it will be her finding out about what Dexter does.

Comment by aj – November 13, 2011 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Specifically I think it will be her seeing something in the Hanks character’s sister (Molly Parker) that reminds her of her own relationship with her brother.
      Dots connect. Deb swears. Dex is found out.

Comment by ultimate troll – November 14, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know! Doakes will make his triumphant rise from the grave, and expose Dexter! And get it on with Deb. DOAKES!!!!!!

Comment by Pat D. – November 13, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deb is going to find out about Dex AND I think she’s gonna figure out she has a thing for Jamie, the nanny. I’ve felt a vibe ever since they were fighting in the apartment.

Comment by t – November 13, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG, I’d be LMAO if they reveal that Deb is actually gay/bi. As a lesbian I would be thrilled to see a young and powerful lady loving Lieutenant on a tv show (one of my all time faves with that), but alas I don’t think they’ll do that. It’s Showtime, home of Queer As Folk and The L Word, it’s not like they’d take big risks having LGBT characters so if they wanted to go that route they would have done it before season six… well, I guess? I don’t know, because I’ve felt the same vibe you’re talking about.

But as seriously as I take the whole idea, I have to admit that it would be funny as hell to see the F-bomb queen puking rainbows when she sees Jamie lol (and let’s face it, little Batista is a cutie)

Comment by Monkeyrat – November 13, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares if deb finds out. It would been great as a game changer for season 5. This show is now unofficially a popcorn fun type show. It has lost it chance at being what progressive in cable TV a long time ago. With it writers and producers season formulas.

Comment by George – November 13, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Deb should never know the truth about his brother. c’mon.. it’s not a soap opera.. and why this could be good as “game changer” anyway? I like the game the way it is.. Dex is a serial killer. I hope he will continue doing his “job” without BIG changes but good stories.

Comment by David – November 13, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be lame. Dexter needs to be exposed, go on the run, get caught, arrested, jailed, tried, sentenced and executed. I want the final episode to be Dexter on death row about to get the chair. Now THAT would be a dramatic finish!

Comment by Snapy – November 13, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, and I’m sure it’s how the last season will play out. Dexter will be jailed, but continuing his revenge killing behind bars, for instance, hunting down the men who gangraped him.

Comment by Johnny Pooper – November 14, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Season 3 and second half of season 5 have really hurt Dexter credibility to actually tell good stories. The Writers and producers don’t even acknowledge bad criticisms. In their head this show is still great. The fact that it using a season formula proves its far from it.

Comment by George – November 13, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seasons 3 and 5 were actually my favorites. I don’t understand why people are so down on season 3, especially. I can see why season 5 wasn’t for everyone but season 3 was great!

Comment by Ashley – November 14, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why the writers didn’t continue on form Season 4 where Deb began really hovering around the truth about Dexter. Season 5 completely evaded that arc and now here we are at the middle of Season 6 and nothing. As for Gellar, I really hope he’s real because if he isn’t then for me this season officially sucks because of its’ predictability. And finally if the big reveal for Deb is that she’s gay, I’m giving up on Dexter. I don’t care whether she is or isn’t but this is something they had a chance to do with her character in the last five seasons and putting it in now makes me think of SyFy comes up with its’ stories for movie of the week – spin the bottle I think.

Comment by Rob – November 13, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. I haven’t really gotten invested in the DDK storyline because I keep looking for clues that Gellar is real. They’ve dragged it out too long. And who gives a flying flip if Deb is gay–how would that carry the story forward? Now Deb realizing the truth about Dexter would be a game-changer, although I’m not sure what I think about that. I just can’t see Deb not turning on Dexter. Harry had years to adjust to the idea of Dexter as a serial killer and it still destroyed him. If he were remorseful, I could see Deb going with him to turn himself in, but beyond that?
      I have to say, the show is definitely leaning towards cheesy these days. It seems almost like a parody of what it once was. Silly lines like, “You don’t turn the other cheek, you slice it” are eye-roll-worthy. The “Nebraska” episode has to be one of the worst in recent memory, especially considering that they brought back Brian Moser, which should have been good. Instead, they threw it away. It was basically a filler episode that accomplished nothing.

Comment by jennrae – November 14, 2011 01:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I spent the first half of the show thinking they were saying DeeDee Kay, and then pissed that I didn’t know who they were referring to. lol

Comment by SophiaWasHere – November 14, 2011 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks for clearing that up! I too was wondering who Deedee Kay was hahaha.

Comment by Nicole – November 14, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I used to think that Deb would never NOT turn Dex in. Then at the end of last season when she let Lumen and Dex go (without looking behind the curtain) she really exposed a crack in her personal code. She felt for the girls that those guys were torturing and killing. Now I think she might be convinved to not turn him in. That being said, if next season is the last season of Dexter then I hope Deb finds out in the finale and next year deals with the aftermath.

Comment by Ava – November 14, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they don’t turn Deb gay because I actually liked her with Quinn so that would be dumb imo but I wouldn’t mind her finding out about Dexter

Comment by s – November 13, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think anyones taken into consideration that perhaps Deb will die by the end of the season? Considering that in real life that Michael and Jennifer divorced, it might be viable option…

Comment by Rob – November 13, 2011 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Eh. If they kill Deb, Dexter would really go off the rails, the character and the show. Interviews with Jennifer Carpenter make it seem like they get along just fine and are best friends. That could be nonsense but both actors seem professional enough to work together fine.

Comment by jennrae – November 14, 2011 01:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t agree more. This show really missed some great opportunities to do something special, instead it’s just mediocre.

Comment by dj – November 13, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else think that intern is up to something…something no good?
    I predict he becomes a bigger player by the end of the season.

Comment by Rocky – November 13, 2011 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought that about Harrison’s nanny (the Irish lady) in season 5, and nothing ever came of it. Did they wrap up what happened to her at all?

Hell, I’m still bitter at how quickly they wrapped up Trinity and Rita. Remember all the rumors about how it wasn’t Trinity who killed her? Other than Quinn’s suspicions of Dexter, no one else ever brought up that it perhaps wasn’t Trinity’s doing.

Comment by SophiaWasHere – November 14, 2011 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The minute I saw the intern in Dexter’s house thanks to the babysitter I knew that he was there to do some snooping or something else evil. I can tell he puts the evil in devil. Or not.

Comment by Martha May Marlene Mojo – November 14, 2011 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought that too. I feel like he hero worships Dexter and might be a serial killer in the making

Comment by Laura – November 27, 2011 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deb looks… weird in that pic with her hair all tied back like that. Something about the eyes maybe? Perhaps it’s just me & doesn’t Colin Hanks look like a much younger version of Sean Murray?

Comment by Jerri – November 14, 2011 02:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they don’t make Deb gay. It would be so stereotypical and cliche where the tough policewoman must be gay. Will she get the cliche haircut too?

Comment by Rik – November 14, 2011 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if Harry and Brian will ever have a “head to head” with Dexter being stuck in the middle of the two. Would’ve been a great scene IMO.

Comment by Jerri – November 14, 2011 02:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really, really hope it ends with her realising she’s gay. Would be awesome =D

Comment by Patricia – November 14, 2011 04:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No it won’t. It’s the ol’ “tough woman = gay” cliche. :-/ but, i wouldn’t be surprised if the writers went down that road though, seems every TV show now suddenly has straight characters realizing they’re actually gay. latest trend perhaps

Comment by Jo – November 14, 2011 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • For real? The latest trend? You’re ridiculous.

Comment by Katie – November 14, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not gonna happen Michael and Jen still remain great friends.

Comment by Kstyle – November 14, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay so here is the deal.
    Deb finds out she is into Girls, hooks up with her therapist or baby sitter
    Professor Gellar is just Traviss Dark Passenger and Dexter will let Travis go or kill him

Comment by Sam – November 14, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i dont think gellar is all in travis’ head. if i remember correctly, during last nights episode they interviewed “the whore” and she said she heard two people talking

Comment by chris – November 14, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think trend was meant to insult anyone. All @Jo was doing was pointing out that It seems like most of the hit shows right now DO have at least one gay actor. Can you name a few that don’t? It’s a valid point.

Comment by Harper – November 14, 2011 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This comment was meant for @katie. : )

Comment by Harper – November 14, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I truly hope they don’t do the Deb is now gay, nothing against that lifestyle, but it just wouldn’t fit in with her character…….and would seem the writers are searching for story arcs and also trying to please certain groups out there. Love this show regardless though……

Comment by fearlessfife – November 15, 2011 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know about the Deb/Gay thing. This last episode really made an effort to make it seem like there was still a chance for her and Quinn. They had a heart to heart and kiss in her office that was left open ended. Also, in the past few seasons she liked her man sex way too much for her to suddenly be gay.

However, I find the nanny annoying. Not well written and the actress indicates like crazy.

Loved the last episode though.

Comment by Vincent Hanna – November 15, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve heard rumors about Deb being gay. I think with the introduction of the therapist, this could slowly develop into a relationship. If this is true, I’d say good. She has always had this “lesbian” vibe in my opinion, so the story would go perfectly with her character.

I know some may argue that she has been with way too many men and she seem to enjoy it, but there’s always that chance of discovering a new sexuality which is tottaly possible. So I won’t put this rumor down just yet.

Comment by Shakz – November 16, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • However, I do like Deb with Quinn… So if she isn’t gay, I hope they’ll end up together :)

On the whole Deb finding out about Dexter’s secret issue, I really hope this TV series will end up with the department (which Deb is leading) investigating about the murders Dexter was a part of. This would be an interesting way to end the show, the department hunting their own guy.

I know that is a very simple thought out story line, but something simple yet dramatic could really be a nice way to end this show. And I hope Deb finds out. But I haven’t formulated an opinion on how Deb should react yet.

Comment by Shakz – November 16, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Deb is not gay, i like the character the way she is but its time that she already finds out about dexter, on the books she finds out during the fight with the ice truck killer, it would be great to have her battling with her responsability as liutenant and her brother activities.

Comment by andres – November 17, 2011 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder how Dexter can continue to kill people and no one notices they are gone. Shouldn’t some of them turn up missing? Ben if they are criminals or bad people, someone should notice they are gone or missing, right?

Comment by David – November 17, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think a cool twist would be that Dexter finds out being a seriel killer really is in a person’s makeup when…he discovers Deb is one as well! The he is left to decide whether to kill her, help her, or compete with her.

Comment by Salmoni – November 20, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Season 3 (and the Prado storyline) still is the weakest season. Season 5 was a very strong return to the show’s story telling roots. Verdict’s still out on Season 6, but I’ve high hopes for it. Collin Hanks & EJO are both good, enjoyable actors, so I’m more than willing to watch until season’s end.

Let me preface my next sentence with this — Homosexuals (in real life) deserve social equality (and part of that is the right to get married in churches of their choosing). If Deb’s big character arc is that she’s gay, it will be the epitome of the writers’ laziness and just one more tired TV cliche. If Deb “comes out”, she should quit Miami Metro and become a high school PE teacher. If I wanted to see lesbians, I’d watch a lipstick girl-girl adult movie.

Comment by Blake – November 20, 2011 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post