Ratings: Fringe Slips to New Low, Chuck Steady

Fringe‘s best episode of Season 4 to date sadly drew the Fox series’ lowest rating to date, dropping 15 percent week-to-week to a 1.1 — and on 11/11/11 (as one Tweeter noted).

Fringe had matched its previous all-time low, a 1.2 rating, with this season’s second episode, but notched increases here and there since.

Fringe‘s Joshua Jackson Reveals Peter’s Wrong World Dilemma: ‘He’s Got to Get Out of Dodge!’

Among the night’s other genre fare, NBC’s struggling Chuck (3.2 mil/0.9) at long last stabilized, Marc Berman’s TV Media Insights reports, while its freshman lead-out Grimm (5.2 mil/1.5) dropped 13 and 17 percent, respectively. The CW’s Nikita was flat at 1.9 mil/0.6, as was Supernatural (1.8 mil/0.8).

UPDATED: Turning to CBS’ Friday drama line-up, the freshman bubble show A Gifted Man held steady at 8.25 million viewers and a 1.2 rating, CSI: NY (10.16 mil/1.7) inched up a few percentage points, and Blue Bloods (11.2 mil/1.7) dropped double digits but still led the night in total viewers while tying CSI: NY for the top demo number.

1. xav says:

I’m not surprised. I’m a diehard Fringe fan and I’ve been watching Grimm and watching Fringe whenever. After following the characters for three seasons it’s frustrating to have all their development wiped away.

• gajdos says:

“I’m a diehard Fringe fan and I’ve been watching Grimm”

so you are not a diehard fan. thank you.

• Liz says:

LOL at your reply.

• Liz says:

LOL at your comment.

• TigerNightmare says:

None of us have a Nielsen box, so it doesn’t matter which one we watch live. Me, I’m going to watch both of them later on.

• sc says:

Nielson boxes aren’t that big of a deal anymore…the cable company keeps track of what you watch and what you DVR and then they report it to the Nielson company.Nielson then tabulates the numbers from this information!! .it is not only about an actual box anymore. So watch live!!!

• TigerNightmare says:

I don’t have cable (or a cable box), so screw that.

• Simon Jester says:

@TigerNightmare – And yet, you feel qualified to proclaim that “none of us have a cable box”? I guess “us” refers to you and the voices in your head.

• Brad says:

That is completely false.

• Rowan says:

I’m sorry to tell you – that is not true. Neither cable nor satellite providers keep track of what you watch or record unless it’s pay-per-view, which you get charged for. Just ask them yourself. The only people who are counted for TV and DVR viewing are Nielsen families. Watching on Fox.com will count as online viewing and the ratings and DVD sales overseas matter when considering whether to pick up a series, but as for TV ratings. It’s Nielsen families alone.

So if you don’t have a Nielsen box it doesn’t effect the ratings whatsoever.

• mst3k says:

sc… that is totally false. In fact, it is illegal for your cable company to monitor what you watch and what’s on your DVR. Neilson still gathers ratings by placing boxes in selected houses.

• TigerNightmare says:

@Simon Jester, I said none of us have a NIELSEN BOX, you dumb ass. Who would say no one has a cable box? Learn to read.

As Rowan said, only Nielsen boxes count. People need to do some research and stop posting about things they know absolutely nothing about.

• Kay-lay says:

“I don’t have cable (or a cable box), so screw that.
          Comment by TigerNightmare – November 12, 2011 01:22 PM PST”

“@Simon Jester, I said none of us have a NIELSEN BOX, you dumb ass. Who would say no one has a cable box? Learn to read…Comment by TigerNightmare – November 13, 2011 07:32 PM PST ”

Yes, learn to read.

• xav says:

When the characters are no longer the characters you fell in love with but shadows of them it’s hard to care anymore.

• Rowan says:

Just LOL!

• Roxie says:

So you can’t have a critical opinion of a show if you are a diehard fan? That sounds really silly to me. Who are you to judge if someone is a fan or a show or not? The person said that they are still watching Fringe, but are disappointed with the show this season. I don’t blame them. I think it has been disappointing as well, and I have also been a diehard Fringe fan. I am still watching it but not feeling the same excitement over it that I used to. I don’t have a TV so I watch all shows online and I have been watching Grimm too. I am not affecting either shows ratings, but I do think that Grimm is hurting Fringe’s ratings. It is on at the same time, appeals to Sci-Fi/Fantasy fans like Fringe does, and it is getting better ratings.

• Mike says:

I would think die hard fringe fans would show a little more patience and faith in what the writers may be planning over a longer story arc.

• Carrie says:

Exactly. I think what the writers are doing is brilliant and I anticipate a very satisfying conclusion. “Fringe” is not for those looking for instant gratification. They tell a great story, no matter how long it takes to develop, and when all of the pieces finally come together it’s just awesome.

• Steve says:

I love Grimm its an awesome show; but as a true Fringe fan, I have stuck with Fringe and watching Grimm from the DVR. Fringe just keeps getting better and better. Really enjoying this seasons storyline!

• GK says:

But Fringe is brilliant. I don’t understand why viewers are dropping. Last episode showed us that Peter may have been in another universe (not alternate universe, nor ours). And Supernatural was hilarious. Dean’s acting was priceless. First 2 episodes of Grimm was boring. I have stopped watching that.

• Roxie says:

The ratings of Fringe have been dropping since last season. Moving the show to Friday nights is what started the drop. You might not like Grimm, but lots of other people do, especially since it is getting better ratings than Fringe. If Fox wants Fringe to have any hope of surviving they really should move it to another timeslot. Fridays are a tough sell as is and having another Sci-Fi/Fantasy show on at the same time is not helping at all.

• Guess says:

I think its a shame when intelligent Sci fi is dismissed that way.

• allie8 says:

The character I am having the most problem believing in right now is Olivia. Why isn’t she more curious about Peter? After all the crazy stuff they see on a daily basis why is it so hard to believe that Peter is perhaps telling the truth? Right now Peter is the one who is the most interesting and believable. I do trust that the writers will fix this but I wish they had never gone here. They’ve lost fans and it doesn’t seem like they are gaining any new viewers. Unfortunatley this plotline could very well be the death of my favorite show next season. :(

• snazzy says:

Olivia, Peter and Walter are the main staples with the strong sides of Astrid and now Lincoln. The focal point has always been Peter Bishop and it is difficult when no one knows who he is — I am hoping that next week’s episode can be less frustrating for all.

• Mika says:

Chuck and Fringe are over. Cancel them already.

2. Paul says:

Thankfully for Fringe its not just about the ‘on the day’ ratings, the timeshift viewers, online, DVD and Overseas sales will get it a fifth and final season.

• Claudia says:

I hope so Paul there are a lot of us Fringe fans outside of US who can’t watch it live!

• Dessy says:

Do overseas sales really count?
        Um, I don’t think so.
        It sucks. I’m Nigerian and Fringe is my favourite show. I’m obsessed with it.

• Mike says:

They count. A LOT.

• S.Cutajar says:

Agreed. Fringe producers: please remember that there are Fringe fans outside the US who are absolutely thrilled by the way the storyline is developing.

And all the characters deserve a well-earned praise about the way they project a totally different universe to the ones we were accustomed to in the first 3 seasons. Obviously, Peter is the common denominator and the link. I like the way he was challenged in this episode by time travelling, time jumps and efforts by the professor and her husband to meddle with time!

• rowan says:

Overseas sales counts a great deal. So much so that a studio won’t even consider making a series that doesn’t have potential overseas appeal. So just know that those of you outside the US matter a great deal to the studios.

• Really? says:

Ratings = being able to charge higher advertising dollars. And overseas ratings mean little because most things being advertised on network tv arent bought by overseas viewers. People really need to research their answers before throwing out any old BS answer

• Rebecca says:

I see some very uninformed answers to this post. The truth is that overseas sales are relatively unimportant. Shows that flop in the US but do well in foreign countries get cancelled all the time. Also, networks air plenty of shows that they know will probably not be popular in many foreign nations. Examples are most comedies, since humor does not usually translate well from one country to the next. Other examples are most reality shows, which usually do poorly outside the US.

3. Liz says:

It’s a shame ’cause last night’s episode was the best so far.
    A similar but different context with ‘White Tulip’.
    It’s finally coming back to its root, and then this f***ing rating news come up. Great~

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I loved how Peter started getting irked by the frequent time-slips.

• Aberdeen Anderson says:

As soon as he said “Well this is going to be annoying.” I just died laughing it was so perfect!

• Mr. Furley says:

Like corporations getting irked by the DVRers “Timeslipping” past their commercials?? ;-)

• topoopon says:

You know, I think I hate the whole DVR excuse. I had a VCR in 1983! It did EXACTLY the same thing except it was a lot more manual. I had to program it (the DVR only occasionally), and it had a remote with a cord! But I could still FFWD without getting up from the sofa.
          So no. I do not accept.
          I think the difference is that as shows have gotten more sophisticated, the Neilsen audience has not. I would love to see the demos and locations of where they place all these boxes. They need a more sophisticated and more widely dispersed sample.

• Rowan says:

I was also interested in the fact that Peter thinks he’s in the wrong universe (perhaps a new timeline created by his sudden removal from existence). The means we might be watching a third Olivia, Walter and gang. I do love Fringe.

4. Tristan says:

I think they are toying too much with the audience right now. I absolutely love where the season is going, but they’re asking for a lot of patience from the viewers.

• muse says:

I will confess that the first four episodes tried my patience mightily. But I am loving these past two. Peter’s situation is heart-breaking but I think they are doing a good job making us feel for him while showing us why the other characters are reacting the way they are.

But maybe for many people, it has become too much to watch a show that is so different now. That’s really too bad because I think the writing has been top-notch, especially when compared to its competitors: Supernatural and Grimm.

5. stepha says:

I stayed home last night just to show support for Fringe! As I watched, I thought about how innovative the show is and how sad that so many are missing it. I’d hate to see it canceled before the writers have a chance to complete their story…

• Annonymous says:

As long as the love story between Peter & Olivia develops before its over…

• Olivia says:

Haha, their love story is my least favourite part of the show.

• Ben says:

Peter will bring you around before long, Olivia. Have patience, only a few weeks.

• forrest says:

As echoed by previous posters, Fringe will not dwell on a particular storyine for more than a few episodes. The ‘red’ storlines took time, but they were not permanent formats for the show. Massive Dynambics as the evil empire has faded from view. William Bell, thanks to Mr. Nimoy has moved from a central character (theme) to oblivion. Nothing lasts for very long in the Fringe writing continuum, so it’ll change focus very shortly based solely on its track history.

6. Katie says:

I love love love Fringe, but I don’t have much hope anymore that it will make it past season four. I hope the writers have a good plan in the works for wrapping it up this season in a satisfying way.

• S.Cutajar says:

Dropping ratings mean that people are not understanding FULLY the superb storyline where Fringe is adopting an increasing amount of abstract (physics/deep-space astronomy) theories that couldn’t be explained otherwise. And this amazing feat assumes more importance when one follows closely the storyline… I’m confident that the intelligent US public would eventually understand why this change in the storyline is being done! But people need to be patient… everything will fall in line. I absolutely like how every episode is paving the way for yet much more interesting episodes (and I dare say, seasons) ahead!

On the other hand, I rather intrigued by the absence of Walternate and the alteruniverse character, which have no made a significant showing during this season! Why? Is there a specific intention that is yet elusive for us Fringe fans?

Looking forward for next Friday showing.

• Tusk says:

The episode two weeks ago when the shapeshifter communicated that the serum worked, and the ‘other side’ said it was sending the others (paraphrasing). I think you’ll get your fill of Walternate and company :).

7. BonesFringeFan says:

I’m so sick of these pathetic Nielsen ratings. How the frick are we supposed to help save Fringe when less than 1% have Nielsen Boxes? A new ratings system is desperately needed and I hope Fox realizes that everyone who is sitting at home Friday nights watching fringe live DOESN’T HAVE A NIELSEN BOX!

8. Dessy says:

Well, this sucks hard (1.1,11-11/11) but I’ve convinced myself to try not to worry about these ratings anymore, and enjoy the (depressingly, probably last) season of my favourite show; and really the best thing on TV.
    It is very upsetting, though. I mean, that episode was heartbreakingly beautiful :(

9. Audrey says:

The best episode so far,it felt like I was watching “White Tulip”. A f*cking shame that this amazing show is struggling so much,f*ck all of those motherf@kers with a goddanm f*cking Nielsen box. Joke on the stupid Grimm,choke on it…yeah I’m angry.

10. Mike says:

I think we have to wait and see how the other shows did last night. If they all suffered 15% losses, then clearly the headline for this post is moot. Now if Fringe as the only one that went down in double digits, then it’s time to worry. If Fringe did a 1.1 WTF could Chuck, SPN, Nikita, etc done last night? Now I know why networks are hiatus-ing so much earlier this year like the CW with Vampire Diaries this past week.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I’m as glass-half-full as anyone in the business, but a show’s ratings/trending, as far as its host network is concerned, is primarily relative to the other shows on the same network. Come renew/cancel time it’s, “Who are the strongest players on my bench?” and all.

• Mike says:

I agree with you as well. But I think from FOX’s stand point they have the whole,’We don’t want to seem like dicks if we cancel this show that we put on Friday nights after we said we would give it a chance in this slot.’ In my opinion, if they cancel it, it would seem like they were totally lying when they said they ‘believed’ in the show and would get reamed over the coals. That said, I know that networks take back what they say all the time. Also, any other show they could put in this time place next season doesn’t have press/critics/online backing like they do for this existing show. It’s a show that keeps the network in the press’s eyes. It’s a toss up, but from what I have been reading and analyzing from the past interviews from EP’s, actors, etc I think they are planning a season 5 so hopefully we will still get to see it. And I’m pretty sure the 3 week hiatus because of baseball didn’t help with audience longevity either. It gave them a reason to watch something else live and watch Fringe on DVR. This was very rambly. I apologize but I love analyzing this stuff! :)

11. Dessy says:

I jusy HAD to comment (rant) again; This is so unfair! Why?? Fringe is so awesome! Why do so many factors contribute to its bad ratings?? Why do all sorts of crappy reality shows get higher ratings? Why are we using a stupid Nielsen system?? What am I going to do without my favourite show next season?

12. Leah says:

I’m shocked,this show keeps getting better but the ratings are getting worst,it doesn’t make any sense. How? Why?

• forrest says:

I think Fringe challenges the viewer to watch and pay attention to detail. The masses that flock to procedural dramas, reality TV, and “2 and a half Dumbells” requires little thinking, just reacting to the laugh track and call it entertainment. IMHO. Also, I filled out a Neilsen diary last May (no box) Fringe got my viewing vote, but ‘ratings’ continue to drop. So I just enjoy the episodes that are available and will worry when renewals come up in May.

13. Alyssa says:

I’ve watched the first two episodes of ‘Grimm’ and have to say that it’s nothing special. There doesn’t seem to be much of a story line and to me it feels like it will end up being rather repetitive. Now ‘Fringe’ is an amazing show that just gets better and better every single week.It may be a bit odd at times, but keep in mind that it’s a J.J Abrams show…Remember ‘Lost’ anyone? It wouldn’t be an Abrams show if it wasn’t a bit quirky and made you actually think.

14. Cathy says:

Amazing show overall and absolutely brilliant episode last night. It’s unbelievable to me that more people aren’t watching it.

15. miss scarlet says:

the fact of the matter is that Fringe is in a Friday night slot where a lot of people just aren’t going to watch, and it has to compete with Supernatural & Grimm (both genre shows and one with a really dedicated fanbase). it doesn’t really matter how good Fringe is. I haven’t watched since the first season, but it was a great show.

• Dee says:

It’s interesting because a lot of people thought Grimm would take Supernatural viewers away, when, in fact, Fringe viewers have jumped ship.

16. JAO says:

So, they stuck the show into the “dead zone’ of Friday night and everyone is surprised the show has slipped? I suspect the DVR tallies might show Grimm or Fringe having higher viewership if you take that in consideration. We DVR BOTH shows and watch something else. Fringe is good and Peter is like that warm cardigan you put around you that makes you feel happy.

Stick with something fans or FOX! Even NCIS did not start to become a hit until it’s 5th year. You can’t keep moving shows and expect the fans to follow. Look at the poor Good Wife on Sundays.

17. Jess says:

I’m a huge Fringe fan since the beginning. My husband watched the first 2 or 3 episodes with me, but he wasn’t all that into it (felt like it was an X-Files rip off which, well, it sort of was back then). I stuck with it and watched it get better and better and better!

My husband is now bummed he didn’t stick with it, too, and wants to start watching it but understandably doesn’t want to start NOW. He’s missed a lot of great stuff and I would have to explain a LOT if he came in now. His plan is to watch it, at some point (which might mean never, heh) from the very beginning. Like DVD or whatever.

My point is, there’s no way new viewers are going to start watching it now. It would be too confusing. So maybe some viewers are dropping off for whatever reason and no new viewers are being generated. I don’t know. I don’t know how anyone could watch up to last week’s episode and then not tune in last night for it! Why? How?

18. JeffDJ says:

I actually felt that last night’s episode felt like true classic Fringe, so it’s a disappointment that the ratings were so low. It’s a shame it’s on in a deadly timeslot against both Supernatural & Grimm, not to mention CSI:NY. I guess we can only hope that FOX’s devotion to the show will continue.

19. Side3 says:

Last week I did the Nielsen tracking booklets. I made sure I watched Fringe live!

• mrflamethunder says:

Hey, one Nielsen-owner’s spotted. Good to know you watched Fringe.

• caro brazil says:

yes!!! love you!

• Chris says:

I love how it’s 2011 and they have you doing the ‘booklets.’ You’d think by now there would be a more reliable way for them to tally the audience viewing. LOL!

• BonesFringeFan says:

Finally! You’re the first person I ever heard of with a Nielsen box! Thank you thank you thank you for watching Fringe and please please continue watching :)

• Gusar says:

He doesn’t have a box. November is Sweeps month, meaning Nielsen diaries are “sweeping” the country. That’s what he has – a diary, not a box. You receive a diary, fill it with what you’ve been watching over the course of a week, then send it back.

20. Barb says:

It’s a big shame that Fringe isn’t doing better than it should. I do have to admit season 1 was horrible (only saw two episodes and that was enough) but once season 2 revved up, it’s been one of my favorite shows. It doesn’t help that it’s on a Friday night which is really the graveyard for FOX shows. Maybe they need to move it to another night. It sure worked for X Files, why shouldn’t it work for Fringe. It deserves so much better and should complete a five year run to finish the overall show properly.

• I_Captain Blanco says:

Not sure you can state with any credibility that “season 1 was horrible” if you “only saw two episodes,” but you *are* absolutely spot on in that season two was where the show really got going.

21. caro brazil says:

c´mon….If you have a Neilson box them by all means watch Fringe live….or Neilson box´s boss suport fringe!…change some people who has the machine…grrrr…so sad =// the best show =))…jonh noble…anna torv..josh….seth…all the cast and crew..

22. Andrea says:

Although I’m not surprised, I am a bit bummed about the ratings. I agree with others who have said that season four hasn’t had the best start (I didn’t like being told that all the relationships I had grown fond of for the last three years were now completely changed). However, last night’s episode brought back a lot of the elements that I love about Fringe. I love how Peter acts like the viewer and is able to say to the others “This is not right. I don’t belong here.” I can’t wait for next week (I can’t believe we’re already at the midseason finale…I feel like the show just came back).

23. M says:

I desperately want to know Nikita’s ratings. This Nielsen rating crap has to go.

24. nyyankeedude says:

Love Fringe. Will always watch it either live or DVR. Like Grimm. I DVR everything to skip the commercials. These polls need to be changed to include DVR watching. Otherwise they mean nothing.

25. kevin says:

Still using my CHUCK fix on Fridays and I wonder what’s going to happen during next week’s Fall finale on FRINGE.

• Aiden says:

Me too. Loving the two shows right now. The quality is good regardless of the numbers. Trying not to fret too much about the ratings right now..

26. opus says:

Does TVLINE hate Fringe? First you post a story entitled “Fringe’s Peter wants Out”, which sounds like star Joshua Jackson wants to leave Fringe (instead of just Peter wanting to get back to his own world), then you publish Fringe’s ratings without giving the ratings of other shows to compare it to. And why did Fringe’s ratings come out so early when it is now 3:00 and no other ratings have come out? This really looks like you are making an actual effort to get Fringe, the best show on TV in my opinion, cancelled.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

We promote FRINGE probably 2x as much as the next two TV sites combined. As for FRINGE’s latest ratings, a Fox insider revealed them this morning on Twitter, shortly before the full Nielsen report usually comes out. Alas, this week that report is delayed. Conspiracy theory debunked :)

• M says:

Can you do the same for Nikita? Nikita deserves better ratings, The CW doesn’t promoted enough, is just not fair. BTW Fox promotes their shows a lot. They are always running radio commercials, and magazine adds.

• Rachel says:

I was gonna say, you guys have made it really clear that you like Fringe!! I come here for all the scoop on it. Pretty convinced TVLine had something to do with it getting a 4th season…. ;)

• Liz says:

Relax :)
      I believe most TV sites like to use FRINGE as it generates good traffic.

• Ben says:

Opus, you’d be amazed at how much clout tvline have. One or two articles is routinely enough influence for them to get tv shows cancelled. Especially their favourite shows.

27. Janelle says:

The last time I watched Fringe live was back in January/February when I had a broken leg. I’M 19 AND YOU WON’T CATCH ME INDOORS ON A FRIDAY NIGHT. I really LOVE the show though,without a doubt the most intellectual thing you’ll find on FOX/netT.V . As for Grimm,I’m sure I would be interested if I were a 15 year old boy. Nothing special there,you can already tell it will be too repetitive and the main character lack charisma. American T.V viewers are interesting..very interesting.

• KOs says:

Aren’t they interesting? Looking at some of the most watched shows, I totally don’t understand.

Since season 4 I am totally thrilled that how many details they are looking after to show a different world, slightly different but interesting. I think that’s brilliant but I’ve seen so many comments saying they are not patient enough to wait for Peter’s return. I don’t know why they got annoyed by the whole Where’s Peter Bishop thing. It is experimental and brave move for the writer to do so and I would just swear I will follow Fringe till the end because of all these intellectual elements they put into the show. They just don’t see the big pictures. Too bad. But that’s their way of watching the show, i guess.

28. NikkiQM says:

Keep up the great work promoting Fringe. I read your articles here on TVLine everyday and love all the Fringe news and interviews. Hopefully the show survives another season, it deserves as much.

29. Joeh says:

Fringe is too smart for a public that watches mindless CBS procedurals. It should really be on cable.

• Chris says:

I find your comment interesting in the fact that I wonder if ‘behind closed doors’ this is a conversation. Honestly, this show on cable on a weeknight would be doing a cable net a service. Wonder if they ever thought about airing this show on FX.

• KOs says:

good point. the Shows on FX so far was above ok. American Horror Story and Wilfred are my favorites now. Fringe would be great on FX.

30. Chris says:

Also, Grimm’s numbers went down double digit percentage wise last night too. (According to Marc Bermann.) Went from a 1.8 to a 1.5. Forgot what percentages is was down – like 13% – or something close.) I wonder why no one is talking about how it was both shows, not just one that went down that much. And the other shows, were low rated too which is now the norm for them, but their numbers were steady from the previous week.

31. Jack R says:

For the love of quantum physics, get this show out of the ratings wormhole ofFriday nights! Aside from FOX’s own Terra Nova, most ‘genre shows’ (sci Fi/fantasy) on every other network are running on FRIDAY NIGHTS. I’d hate for this amazing show to be run off it’s time slot by something like Grimm.. which isn’t bad, it’s just no Fringe.. but Fringe never belonged in this slot to begin with. Put it back on Thursdays with Bones.. Or Mondays and double team it with TN, and let it breath again.. For that matter, put it in X-Files old slot on Sundays. .Anything.. just get it out of Fridays. It semi worked in the spring because there’s less to do over the winter for the target demos of this show than there is in the Fall (football, HS & College events, World Series, etc..) but Fall in this time slot has NEVER worked for any show. Period. If FOX lives the show.. they need to MOVE IT.

32. Alex says:

Come on guys…we can do better with Fringe! If we can band together like people did for Chuck last season and just push it into a final fifth season, that would be fantastic. But alas, unlike NBC Fox is in REALLY good ratings shape. I guess Fringe is just too smart for the majority of the 20 million people that watch NCIS each week….
    It would be a real shame if it was canceled without a proper ending, there’s so much deep rooted mythology that deserves to be wrapped up properly.

33. Loren says:

11/11/11 my 21st birthday and a freaking 1.1 for Fringe REALLY? What a present..

34. Aimee says:

I’d love to see Fringe as a straight run show in the summer. Even 13 episodes…

35. Linda says:

I think the Nielsen rating sucks. They really need it updated somehow. Last year, I was a Diary Nielsen family and even those aren’t included in the ratings. They just wanted to see what the shows diffenent neighborhoods watched.

I watch Supernatural live and I think those numbers would be higher if ratings were acquired differently.

36. M3rc Nate says:

Unless it has nothing to do with the content, i can kinda understand the slight dropoff of viewers. I love fringe with all my heart, but Season 4’s episodes have made me realize how much of the show i love is drawn from the relationship between Peter and Olivia. And of course the relationships between everyone.
    With that being whiped away, it has made the first few episodes the most boring of the series. Even now with Peter back, its not his “Universe” so he doesnt really care, hes not chasing after Olivia trying to convince her, or anyone else, hes just trying to get home.
    I watch live and Tivo it, and no matter the episode will always watch live, but like i said, Season 4 has been the weakest of all the series IMO. Almost worse is from interviews from the cast on this site, it will continue for quite a many episodes of the season. He will probably get back home in the last 2 episodes of the season or something.

37. Snapy says:

I watch Supernatural at 9, DVR Fringe and watch it at 10. Supernatural was a lot of fun last night!

38. Nikki says:

I always watch Supernatural live but the problem is that even though I specifically tune my satellite to the CW channel as soon as the show begins, the feed suddenly switches (though it’s technically still on the CW) to some other station and the logo shows up at the bottom of my screen (CHCH or Metro14) neither which represent my own city. It does this every time I try to watch a show on the CW and it’s bloody frustrating!

• Marc says:

You must be close to a Canadian border because you’re picking up the channel (CHCH) that carries it here. I live in Canada but on the Detroit border and they switch CW over to CHCH a lot when there is a Canadian channel with the same program — which sounds like what’s happening to you. I am not sure why but it’s been like this forever in Canada.

• Sonia says:

It’s called simultaneous substitution. It’s so Canadian networks don’t lose money on the shows they’ve paid for from American networks, which they would if viewers watch them on the American channels instead (and to make sure canadian viewers are watching Canadian advertisements).

39. Rachel says:

I’m getting kind of sick of the nobody-knows-Peter thing. I really miss his affect on everyone, and Joshua Jackson’s chemistry with the cast. Since they don’t know him, they keep blowing him off, and it makes me mad!

40. Lambsilencer says:

Those ratings are good news for Nikita. The show is keeping steady with the 0.6 rating for weeks now, and is constantly growing its over-all viewers by a tenth of a million week-to-week. I think The CW should be pleased.

• Rebecca says:

IMO, the Nikita numbers stink. A .6 is lousy even for Friday, and the 18-34 demos are absolutely putrid.

• Mike says:

like lambsilencer said. Nikita is definitely doing good for CW. Of course it would be better with 0.7. But 0.6 on a friday not bad at all and it is the 3rd best in viewers for the CW. More eyeballs is always a good thing

41. Jack says:

What the hell! Fringe was the best show on tv on Friday night. People don’t enjoy quality shows anymore.

42. Petra says:

Change the show’s title to NCIS:FRINGE…problem solved..YOU HEAR THAT ABRAMS?

43. I adore Fringe, such that I have yet to see Grimm because it’s on at the same time. I hate that it’s on Friday nights because that’s a death day of the week for television series. I haven’t enjoyed a show with parallel time as much going back to Dark Shadows. I just hope Fox keeps it on the air because it’s one of the most intelligent shows on TV–one that requires active listening from the audience.

44. Steve K says:

The biggest mistake was moving Fringe to Thursdays when it was doing fine on Tuesdays

45. Ana Muller says:

More people NEED to watch Fringe. If this show gets canceled before they explain everything that needs to be explained I’ll be so frustrated I’ll probably stop watching TV altogether.

46. Allison says:

I would love to be rid of the Nielsen system. It seems all that Nielsen families are interested in are crappy reality TV shows and tired CSI clones, not quality TV like Fringe. As TV and the Internet merge, I hope a new system will rise so that what I watch gets taken into account.

47. Hershon says:

I’m a Fringe fan but Overseas viewers don’t mean chit Programs are sold and renewed based on viewers that will buy from commercials Overseas viewers don’t buy from US commercials, duh!

48. Nat says:

Supernatural will probably drop next week.
    After the crap episode they showed us this week, which ones of us, the psycopaths fans, will come back to watch next week?
    Let’s see.

49. Ali says:

I love Chuck and Fringe and it makes me so mad they don’t get the views they deserve!!

50. Ethel says:

I used to love Chuck but now with Morgan being the intersect, it has gotten to the point of just being annoying. Morgan predictably screws everything up then accesses the intersect..etc. He was more of a lovable character when he knew nothing about Chuck. I am trying to watch but tend to fast forward a lot