Scoop: True Blood's Joe Manganiello Teases 'Unbelievable,' Werewolf-Centric Season 5

Get More: Exclusive, News, Scoop

Move over, witches. True Blood is trading sorcery for a whole lot of howling.

And hair.

The HBO drama’s upcoming fifth season will be packed with werewolves, and the man beast leading the resurgence — Joe Manganiello (a.k.a. Alcide) — is champing at the bit to get started.

“Oh my god, I can’t f—ing wait,” he enthused to TVLine at the after-party for this year’s Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show (airing Nov. 29 on CBS). “The fact that they’re basically busy casting an entire new pack of werewolves is unbelievable. There’s going to be like a werewolf show within the show this this year, so I’m like a kid about it!”

Among the lycanthropes making tracks to Bon Temps: late pack leader Marcus’ mother, Annie (played by Winter’s Bone standout Dale Dickey); a hot young she-wolf named Rikki; and a hard-bodied fiftysomething named J.D. who sounds suspiciously like Alcide’s never-before-seen father.

“It may not be what you expect,” teases Manganiello of the character, adding, “Alcide’s dad is in [Charlaine Harris' fifth Sookie novel]. Whether or not he makes an appearance… well, that’s a question for [executive producer] Alan [Ball].” (With reporting by Matt Webb Mitovich)

Comments (142)

• Mmmmmhmmmm cannot wait for all of those abs! I have devoured the books each in a day. And cannot wait for the next season! I made a wish last season… for Alcide and Eric to be naked in the same scene with Sookie and that was granted. So for now I cannot wait to sit back and watch the “Wolf Pack”!! :) YUM yum YumMy!!

Comment by Marie Curtis – November 14, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hell yeah! I’ve always been team Eric AND team Alcide. He should get more screen time!

Comment by Alm – November 14, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You ppl are crazy comparing the vamp diaries to True Blood lmao…the differance between the two is that the vamp diaries is a series for teens and True Blood is for adults lol.Alan Ball is a genius!!

Comment by ERICA MCDONALD – November 14, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • definitely not, the show got ruined because AB turned it into a cheesefest the books got butchered so much, I don´t even recognize the characters anymore…

Comment by taim – November 14, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!! He has the best body on the show, followed by Ryan Kwanten.

Comment by Sookie Wannabe – November 14, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s what I’m talkin about quinn was one of my fav’s in the book!!!! Can’t waot to see who they cast for hos character!!!

Comment by cris lang – November 14, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great books, great show,we look forward to season 5.

Comment by chris lagos – November 14, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the werewolves !

Comment by Judy Paranish – November 14, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOO HOO, are you KIDDING me!?! I’ve been waiting and waiting for more Alcide time and I can’t wait!!! Dude is gorgeous and if the whole show was him without his shirt (and possibly pants too) I would be just fine and dandy with that. YAAAY, BRING ON ALCIDE, THE HOTTEST WEREWOLF EVER!!!

Comment by Ghazala – November 14, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im ready for Quinn. Weretiger time!!

Comment by Ktate – November 14, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by July – November 16, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG yes… After seeing how sexy they have portrayed Alcide I can’t wait to see Quinn!!! Hope they find someone as sexy as the character in the book !!

Comment by Lisa – November 14, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will take all of the Alcide I can get! Love this show, gets better each season.

Comment by Britney – November 14, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my goodness, reading some comments here just shows how shallow true blood has become, I am a woman and alcide does nothing for me, I don´t get his appeal and the actor only tries to sell his body and he cannot act, the show has really turned into popcorn for people who watch the show without their brain function. and seriously, in season 3 no one recognized Alcide and just now that he walked around naked a few times in season 4 he is the new hot thing all of the sudden *eyeroll*…and if they are doing the relationships like in the books there will never be an alcide sookie hookup and both actors are quite dull so it would be horrible… Alcide saw sookie even have sex with eric, it would just empasize on Alcides stupidity if there is a hook up..

the weres are so dull and boring on the show, who cares…

and the show got ruined a lot this season, I think I am done with it, its ok to stray away from the books but to destroy character trades of central characters from the books, the best example are sookie, eric and pam just to prop up another one with Bill, who most people don´t even care about has ruined the series, the forced love triangle is so ridicolous… Alan ball should stop to constantly glorify his alter ego Bill and therefore ruin other characters, bill seemed to have even more screen time than sookie in season 5, its just horrible…

Comment by taim – November 14, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree.. i likee amelia in the books…

Comment by Jennifer – November 14, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE True Blood, Vampire Diaries and Twilight..I love all things supernatural.. Were as Twilight and Vampire Diaries are more of a love story type, they are all branching out into werewolves and other supernatural things..My only negative thing to say would be the season isnt long enough and I wish they didnt make us wait til next summer to see what happens next..I love the show as is so KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK writers…I can hardly wait from season to season or episode to episode……

Comment by Linda – November 14, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm I wonder if the reason the big bads(witch, mary ann, etc.,) are so annoying is so that we feel the full effect of “good riddance”. Although the vamps are my faves it would get boring without the other supernaturals. So bring on the Alcide and I’m real excited to get to know Scott Foley’s character.

Comment by pebbles – November 14, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My taste in men is very refined. I like my men unrefined. Get the difference? It’s called “Bad Boy Syndrome.”

Comment by Lisa C – November 14, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alcide brings variety to the show..not to mention sex appeal, strength, and one species cannot exist without the other…Bring on the lycanthropes…WooF!

Comment by Lycan – November 14, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Speak for yourself. Yumm. Lol

Comment by luenhoek – November 14, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A lot of people are talking about how “Alcide” can’t act…I LOVE True Blood but I’m sorry, none of them can act really. Eric and Bill are good. But Sookie is pathetic along with Sam. I laughed so hard when Tommy died and he said “its so sad” it was HORRIBLE acting. But honestly I keep watching because I love the plot and sexy Eric and Alcide. Mmmmm! Oh and to me season 3 was the worst.. it built you up all season then fizzled out. Season 4 is my fav!

Comment by sami – November 14, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry, was this written in English?

Comment by Shanna – November 14, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For those who have read the books Quinn!!! I hope they bring him in. He was one of my favouritres. He would be so hot too.

Comment by KEG – November 14, 2011 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! YES! YES!!! More airtime for Alcide. Cant wait.

Comment by Angela – November 15, 2011 04:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • y’all haters say wat u want.i say ts tym joe got his due.n’4 d actng i bet he’s gonna up his game.yay i can’t wait!n’ 2 tara haters just a shame coz rutina was gret.ts not evryday u get a gret depiction of an angry southern gal that well.cant wait g d summer

Comment by allie – November 15, 2011 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with you Eric is incredibly sexy .

Comment by Melissa – November 15, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Joe means more me watching. Love the show.

Comment by Trina Pendragon – November 15, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Sookie doesn’t want Eric I’ll have him….mmmm…Best show ever!

Comment by Krissy – November 15, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, love, love TB! but I do think it’s time to bring in another hot female to give Sookie a bit of competition. It’s about time for her to work for all the attention she is getting from all the gorgeous men ;-)

Comment by Leon – November 15, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • /For those of You complaining- can U do better? Those without crticise those with mean anything to you? U don’t like the characters don’t watch the show. I love the show the only 2 characters i didn’t like were Maryanne and Marnie but i didn’t whinge about it. I can’t wait for season 5 or the new book to come out.

Comment by Hazel – November 15, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this storyline it is a natural progession.

Comment by Coleen – November 15, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh yeah! More werewolves. Just what we needed. I’m over the dogs. Need more vamp action. I guess the wolves will give Sookie something new to hump so to speak.

Comment by Caylisto – November 15, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely LOVE TB, have read all the books. I think the producers do a good job of sort of sticking to the main storylines within the book, like they do have to obviously change things for it to work as a tv series but the bones of the books are there in the background.

I too CAN’T wait for the arrival of Quinn. I hadn’t heard that Charlaine pictured vin diesel when she wrote him, but thats gas because that’s EXACTLY the picture i had in mind when reading him! (That and a sorta yound bald bruce willis! ;) ) I think I just found the perfect person to play him though, google Farin Tahir – image of masso Quinn!!

Comment by lesley – November 17, 2011 01:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anyone who say these Weres are “cool” or “amazing” isn’t a werewolf fan or doesn’t know what a real werewolf is. Is everbody really looking forward to next season to see Weres getting their asses killed by everyone and everything so easily?

Comment by Lexo – December 6, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’ld lv 2 c alcide n sookie together. Bill compton u rock, cnt wait 2 c season 5

Comment by victoria – December 6, 2011 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post