Exclusive

Scoop: True Blood's Joe Manganiello Teases 'Unbelievable,' Werewolf-Centric Season 5

Move over, witches. True Blood is trading sorcery for a whole lot of howling.

And hair.

The HBO drama’s upcoming fifth season will be packed with werewolves, and the man beast leading the resurgence — Joe Manganiello (a.k.a. Alcide) — is champing at the bit to get started.

“Oh my god, I can’t f—ing wait,” he enthused to TVLine at the after-party for this year’s Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show (airing Nov. 29 on CBS). “The fact that they’re basically busy casting an entire new pack of werewolves is unbelievable. There’s going to be like a werewolf show within the show this this year, so I’m like a kid about it!”

Among the lycanthropes making tracks to Bon Temps: late pack leader Marcus’ mother, Annie (played by Winter’s Bone standout Dale Dickey); a hot young she-wolf named Rikki; and a hard-bodied fiftysomething named J.D. who sounds suspiciously like Alcide’s never-before-seen father.

“It may not be what you expect,” teases Manganiello of the character, adding, “Alcide’s dad is in [Charlaine Harris' fifth Sookie novel]. Whether or not he makes an appearance… well, that’s a question for [executive producer] Alan [Ball].” (With reporting by Matt Webb Mitovich)

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Liz says:

Except no one gives a crap about the werewolves.

• Juliana says:

hahahha… ^ This!

• Sy says:

For serious. And besides, werewolves are so season 3. Not looking forward to Alcide getting more screentime, potentially.

• Momo says:

Well said!! Weres=ZzzZzzzZzzz

• Guess says:

Yes! The werewolves are BACK!!! No disrespect to the witches …and King Russell still is the best bad guy so far – with Marie as the best bad gal – but the werewolves have diffent packs, codes and allies and the show has barely scratched the surface on them so far: I can’t wait for True Blood’s next season!

• Morgan says:

F@ck yeah. I can’t wait. I love Alcide and his sexy ass body. If it was all vamp all the time it would probably get boring. I love that they throw different twists into the show.

• rcwblessed says:

I wish they’d stick to the vampires!!!!!

• Snake says:

Erm, “someone” here!

Werewolves are just as diverse as witches and vampires alike in True Blood Universe, we only saw the nazi werewolves working for Russell last year, Marcus’s pack was barely hinted at Alcide’s initiation.

• Kat says:

False. If it’s well executed and made compelling because of the ramifications of what happened with Sam/Marcus and Russell on the loose, count me as one of the few who gives a crap.

• Delon says:

Werewolves are the least interesting of the supernatural beings. Besides, Alcide is just a dumb eye candy for people with unrefined taste in men.

• Maggie says:

Is that the green eyed monster speaking? If you aren’t jealous, I don’t know who is.

• DONALD CRADDOCK says:

What a joke, for people with unrefined taste in men. Like you’d know what taste good. Alcide is by far the best looking sexiest man on the show yet.

• taim says:

the weres on the show are lame, in the books they had at least a purpose and I am not interested to see alcides abs and his lack of acting skills… really AB never gives the fans what they want, book 5 was one of the most boring one, and suddenly they take out that storyline…

and Alcide doesn´t have a special face, just his body, but the lack of acting skills make him dull and boring…

• Maria says:

Oh no no no nooo!!! Eric wins hands down all the time!! When he’s on screen, he commands an overwhelming …..presence!!!!

• Grimmykins says:

Frankly, my dear, that is your opinion. Why bother commenting if you don’t like them? I have been waiting for the were’s to get their due for years now. Can someone please tell me where the hell Quinn is?

• Kylee says:

I have been wondering the SAME thing! Are they just not going to bother with the were-tiger that we’ve come to love from the books?

• SuzyQ says:

He’s coming, remember the first time she offically met him was at the fight for pack leader? so HOPEFULLY we’ll get to see him this season! I cannot wait to see how they handle him, and by that I obviously mean what goregous hunk of man-flesh gets to play him!

• gloria says:

Quinn is in the next season.i wish the writers would get a little closer to the book, at least as far as thw weres are conserned. love the books, love the show. does any one know when the fall seasons starts?

• emily says:

QUINN!!! now that’s what i’m waiting for!!! (thinking jason momoa would be perfect!)
          true blood is a summer show :( bummer that we have to wait that long!

• Jenn says:

I read somewhere that when Charlaine Harris was envisioning the were-tiger Quinn, Vin Diesel was the man she saw. It would be interesting to see if they get him and put the violet contacts in. (purrrr)

• lulu says:

Yeah! Where is Quinn????

• tari k says:

I TOTALLY agree with you. I miss him since his character didn’t make it on “Game of Thrones”. Can’t imagine a better Quinn! :)

• emily says:

i read that too, about vin diesel. i hope not. i mean, he’s ok, but there are better, much better choices!

• J says:

I love all the characters…even the werewolves!!!

• sandra says:

sorry sweetie but if u had read the books this was going to come….
      and im excited everyone joins in vamps shifters etc…except for the witches…im not sure

• gloria says:

alcide is hot,but i wish that they would stay closer to the book.i’m not sure how they are going to turn it around.

• eddie says:

BRING BACK MARCUS!!!

• Damian says:

Haha Liz! speak for yourself! Have you seen Alcide naked?

• Marlene Emmett says:

I don’t want Alcide sniffing around Sookie.
      But I don’t mind seeing him without his clothes on.
      And I’d like to see who they have picked out to play his dad??
      This should be really interesting?
      So yeah, bring on the wolves!!

• Jared says:

About time they show the wolves more. Would be better if they made them more like underworld and not this underdog filth compared to vamps..

Vamps suck.

• sam says:

well it is part of the show and i liked how they added something different but still staying on the line about supernatural and i like sookie and alcid together i think their so cute but everyone has their own thoughts about tv and wat shound and shouldn’t happen

• betty jane hartline says:

who’s the actor that was the voice of Darth Vader?—that’s the guy i imagine as Quinn :)

2. NCSouthernBelle says:

Love me some Alcide! Can’t wait for next season!

3. Joe B. says:

If they do this Joe has to step it up with the acting. Stunningly attractive yes, but he needs some time with a Larry Moss …

… or some acting coach. Maybe Sally Kirkland? Someone, though.

Because all the movies you audition for won’t be about a crew of male strippers.

4. spacemonkey says:

Alcide is actually pretty much the only character I care about in this show anymore. Him and Jason I guess. So I wouldn’t say no one cares about the werewolves.

5. anda says:

What about Eric? And Bill and everyone else?
    As much as I like the whole wherewolf ideea… true blood is about vampires!!

• Snake says:

Eric has a double agent working for the Authority as a SISTER – well, Godric’s other porgeny – this is so much BETTER than The Vampire Diaries!

6. Eric says:

So, they want me to ditch the show now! Come on! Bring the focus back to the vampires and get a new writing team, last season sucked!

7. Amy says:

All I can say is – I hope Allan Ball and his team start steering away from the book plots more; it was about this point in the series that I started enjoying the book plots less. I still read them; I just don’t enjoy them as much as the earlier ones.

• Alice says:

It was about this part in the book series that Alcide devolved into an irredeemable, manipulative jackass. I did like the vampire convention though. It was fun to have the contrast between the powerful, mysterious vampires and the most boring, un-glamourous context ever, a trade show.

8. Amanda says:

Love love love Alcide! If Sookie isn’t with Eric, my next vote would be for him.

• Annonymous says:

In a perfect world Alcide and Sookie would be married by now, in Bon Temps: she’s still the fairy who shot his wife in cold blood. My guess is that Eric would have fight werewolves this time, if he really wishes for her to be Pam’s stepmaker.

• jennrae says:

Cold blood?! Debbie had come there to kill Sookie, AND she blew Tara’s head off. Who knows what she would have done if Sookie hadn’t shot her first?

• Morgan says:

I totally agree. Go sexy manly Alcide! LOve Eric too but I like his bad boy side way more than his sensitive side.

9. Beth Ann says:

I love Alcide, can’t get enough of him on the show! If I were running the show, I’d have Alcide, Sookie & Eric have a hot threesome! Yum! I don’t know why people are hating on the werewolves, especially after the debacle that was Marnie the annoying witch, and that ridiculous hippie freak lady from the second season. Bring on the werewolves! And more naked Alcide, please.

10. Momo says:

And….WHO CARES ABOUT WERES???
    I thought the show was called True Blood because of vampires not boring plots like shifters and weres. Book 5 and 6 were the worst in the whole series because no vamps. I think i’ll watch the show via youtube.

• Meme says:

I thought it was True Blood because of the different races of supernatural beings at play, it’s like Supernatural only from the prey’s perspective rather than the hunters. The preys are not just vampires.

11. Allie De Capria says:

About dang time! I am so tired of one wolf for like five vamps.

12. Lina says:

Werewolves? YAWN.

13. Superbee69 says:

Count me in as someone who doesn’t give a crap about the Were’s or the Hot Shot shifters. ugh.

I have never been less enthused about True Blood as I am coming into season 5.

14. CharlesP. says:

It’s great that Joe M is so excited about the upcoming season.
    However, I don’t share that same excitement.
    I really feel like TB is not producing the quality of writing that they exhibited in the first three seasons.
    IMO, the writing has become more of a “Fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants” approach and without any forethought. I truly hope they step it up next season.
    The Were’s and were-panthers have been rather unimpressive thus far.

15. AndyLuvr says:

I’m glad about this because I was afraid “True Blood” would go the Quinn the Weretiger route from the books, of which I was not too fond, and if people think the TV show already has too many characters, that’s nothing compared to the mess of narratives and number of characters in “The Sookie Stackhouse Novels.” Perhaps in Season 5, Alcide becomes the proxy for Quinn in the books, which is fine by me. The more Joe Manganiello is featured in “True Blood,” the better!

16. Fsanchez says:

Unless they make the Weres stronger or more interesting, Season five is gonna be the worst season imaginable…..with Weres.

17. Ummm says:

I think it’s funny that he’s “champing” at the bit. Trying to imagine what that might look like.

• Danyelle says:

That’s actually the right saying. Americans keep messing it up. Champ means to bite. I applaud TVline for getting it right.

18. Michael says:

I think some you guys have misinterpreted the title of the show and the events of the first 3 seasons to mean that this whole series is all about the vamps. I don’t really care for the wolves either but this is a show about supernatural beings *not* just vampires. the books focused on vamps for a bit and then they too progressed to focus more on the other supernatural beings. Sookie was not originally written to just parade around on Bill’s and/or Eric’s arm forever.. Also I think that season 4 is not being given a lot of credit. I think it was a fantastic season but it seems lately that if plots do not twist the way the viewers want them to then it automatically means bad writers and then people call the season crap. Plot twists that make you angry and characters being killed off are things that make a good show a good show. People get too comfortable with things and cry foul when those things are taken away but I honestly think it’s time some of you just got over it.

• Allie says:

I agree with you on this. If you want to see the same thing over and over and over, go and watch the Reality shows they feature on TV now. Such boring crap week after week after week.

19. auraeulogia says:

Why don’t give them a chance to prove that werewolves can be interesting? I’m sure that season 5 will be plenty of other subplots to be entertained . Not all has to be about vampires ( it will be extremely boring).They already leaked some plots around AVL and Eric’s sister.

20. CC says:

What about Quinn?? I hope they don’t do away with his appearance this season.

21. Fsanchez says:

True Blood Weres are never gonna be interesting because their shifters that only change into normal wolves. We already have shape-shifters, we dont need anymore lame-ass stories of one-animal shifters. Because of bad writing about the Weres, theres no way they can ever be as interesting as vampires and Shape-shifters.

22. Lou says:

The fact is….Joe is getting a huge fan-base on Twitter and Facebook. He popularity with these Ladies is keeping him alive in True Blood. Lets face it he couldnt act his way out of paper bag! He needs to change his lifestyle and take a step back. Does he want to be known as a celebrity or an actor.

23. Augusto says:

I agree – for me the werewolves are the sub subplot of TRUE BLOOD.
    The vampires have all the great quirky lines in the script. The wolves seem to be dull and boring.Prove me wrong in season 5.
    The 4th season was the best so far.

24. Jennifer says:

For all the ones posting that no one carea about the weres, you obviously never read the books.. so quite being lazy and slow and pick em up. Charlaine harris wrote about them in her books and it is only right that they are in the show. Besides the fact that though it is named True Blood, neither the book nor the show is about just vampires. It is about all supernatural species and what happened after one decided to go public. And as a side note: i agree with the one post that it would be really freaking hot to see a Sookie-Eric-Alcide threesome (sorry Bill just dont really do anything for me).

25. m_zerby says:

anyone who has read the books know that we’re only JUST scratching the surface of different supes. each have their own part in the story lines that affect sookie in one way or another. she’s involved being “friend of the pack”, a telepath for vampires, related to fairies, and she also comes into contacts with different were’s (such as the were panthers, and a were tiger), beings from other dimensions, and also dwarfs, elves, and a fairy war. putting all these different elements together create this world that is believable if any of these things actually exists. so you may not care about the wolves, but they’re apart of her world.

26. Brittney says:

Y don’t some of you read the books!!!

27. ashley says:

Alcide= W.I.L.F!!

28. Johnny says:

CAST the kid from FALSE BLOOD already … 11 episodes hundreds of thousands of views best stuff about true blood on the Internet, how is he not on the show yet?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJZaVsZhT_s&sns=em … Episode 2 one of my favs with 77k views

29. Luz says:

Great, more stories that no one cares! This is vampire show, it should be focus con vampires, Bill, Eric, Jess or Pam!

30. BECKY PUTMAN says:

I agree if the other weres look like Alcide. Bring them on! But don’t take away Eric & Bill. Absolutely love this show!

31. Cheryl says:

What the heck is wrong with you people! Alcide is one of the hottest guys EVER. I hope he spends most of the season naked. Aside from the writing, plots, acting, ect., what makes the show so much fun to watch is the fact that is total eye candy. I think people find the werewolves boring because until now they have been secondary characters. I’m sure the writers will give them a good story just like the witches.

32. Lori says:

Lol this is so true

33. LInda says:

I’ve read all the books so far and the ones I didn’t like were the ones that dealt with the fairies! I hated the fairy war. Who cares about fairies anyway? Of course in the books, Claudine (fairy cousin) was helpful to Sookie, and not malignant, like on the show. I like the weres and Alcide was interesting in the books, so I don’t mind seeing more of Alcide – just keep Eric in the mix!

34. Fsanchez says:

Whats the point of introducing supernatural creatures in the show if their just gonna be inferior to vampires. Weres are there to make the vampires, and shifters, look good. The Weres in the book series are just as pathetic as the TV show Weres, their always getting their ass-kicked by everyone and everything. Nobody cares about the Weres because they are poorly written. The vampires get all the attention in the show, every other supernatural creature(mostly weres) are treated as stepping stone for the vampires.

35. Wesley says:

I can’t wait to see the Wolves. Love me some Alcide. He is one HOT Werewolf. Don’t get me wrong, love the vamps just as equal, especially Eric. But now it’s time for the Wolves to have a play in the show. Does anyone know when the air date is???

36. Tammy says:

Love love Alcide…they should put him and Sookie 2gether..there both freaking hott da sex scenes would b da bomb I can’t wait for more werewolves and gettin Alvide naked……

37. Truebby1122 says:

I AGREE!!!! I want to see Quinn. He was my absolute favorite from the books, and I want him to be brought into the movies.

38. Cindy says:

I really like the werewolves being in the mix of things. I agree that they should not just focus on the vampires. The vampires are “hot” but so is “Alcide”… That is one great looking guy and his body – WOW!!! I have not read the books but if they always stuck to the way it’s written it would not be near as exciting. I think each season has been exceptionally good. Never a dull moment…

39. erin says:

Where does quinn fit in and amelia ? :-(

40. Josie says:

When were vampires friendly to any human?

41. Queen Eriom says:

I want Alcide to show blc d voice sound like him but at d end it was dif wat happen to Alcide in season 5

42. Chynna says:

I love Alcide. Lord knows I do… But… BRING ME QUINN

43. Veronica says:

Yes he is sexy and they need to give him a lot more airtime and Sookie needs to whip it on him cause I sure want to lol

44. hrq says:

It doesn´t matter if the books say something.. It should focus on what people WANT to see (vampires) !

45. Licia says:

This means Quinn may not be far behind. Even though I love the Eric x Sookie relationship, I’ve been looking forward to seeing who plays Quinn and where the show goes with it. :) Things on the show, versus the books, are always different but I never know what to really expect! I mean, c’mon, Tara? Wow. So looking forward to this new season! The seasons are too short!

46. Queen Eriom says:

Wat about Alcide father

47. jodi says:

I think they’ve done a great job with the series period. I don’t want them to spew out a regurgitation of the books. I like that there are similarities but not so many that I know exactly what is going to happen each week. I admit that I’m more into the weres than I am the vamps anyway. Joe makes it drool worthy. I sure hope Quinn makes an appearance this season though because I could never decide if I was more Team Alcide or Team Quinn!

48. Lilgreenmomo says:

No one gives a crap about werewolves? Oh Rly? ¬_- The more Manganiello on my screen the better as far as I’m concerned ;)

49. Me says:

Obviously most of theses people with th rude comments or comparing true blood to vampire diaries haven’t read the sookie stack house novels!! I love what they are doing with the show and Alcide Heveraux is hot and I can’t wait to see plenty more of him in season 5!!! Vampire diaries are for babie and true blood is for grown folks!!!!

50. Rina says:

Can’t wait ’til Season 5. Waiting sucks. Bring on more hot naked werewolves. I think the goal of S4 was to show that all werewolves were not drugged out crazies like Russell’s wolves in S3. This is a realistic supe world, and all weres and shifters are ordinary citizens not monsters. But now the Shreveport werepack is in crisis–their leader was murdered. So the fangs and claws will come out, and we will see what being a werewolf is really about. I don’t think the werewolf storyline will take away from the vamps. Bill and Eric will have their hands full with the Authority, Russell E, and each other, not to mention whatever trouble Sookie manages to get herself into.