Ratings: Grey's Fall Finale and Private Practice Rise Versus CBS Repeats, Bones Dips

With CBS’ Thursday dramas in repeat mode, both Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice seized an opportunity this week to post ratings gains.

Uncorking its emotional fall finale, Grey’s drew 11.2 million total viewers while scoring a 4.0 rating, up 17 and 11 percent week-to-week. (You can read my spoiler-filled review here.)  Private Practice then went on to enjoy identical percent increases, delivering 7.7 mil and a time slot-winning 2.9 opposite a Mentalist rerun.

Save the Dates! TVLine Presents Your Guide to Fall Finales and Winter Returns

Seattle Grace’s gain was Bones‘ loss, however, as the Fox procedural dipped double digits from its strong season premiere to draw 8.83 mil and a 2.7.

Elsewhere on Thursday:

8 pm | Big Bang Theory dominated the night with 15.7 million total viewers and a 5.2 rating, down just a hair versus last week’s boffo numbers; Rules of Engagement (11.8 mil/3.6) held even steadier. The X Factor‘s Top 11 results show (10.2 mil/3.3) was down 11 percent week-to-week.

Charlie’s Angels ascended to TV heaven with 5.13 million viewers and a series-low 1.1 rating. NBC’s sitcombo of Community (3.47 mil/1.5) and Parks and Rec (3.6 mil/1.8) fell double digits.Vampire Diaries‘ fall finale drew 3.33 mil and a 1.3, flat in total audience but down 19 percent in the demo.

In Review: The Grey‘s Anatomy Fall Finale Is Flush With Drama — What Did You Think?

9 pm | The Person of Interest repeat placed second (behind Grey’s) in total viewers with 9.1 mil. The Office (5.9 mil/3.0) dipped 6 percent, while Whitney was rock-steady at 4.3 mil/2.1. The Secret Circle‘s fall finale drew 2.16 mil and a 0.8, down 5 and 11 percent.

10 pm | The Mentalist repeat dominated the hour in total viewers, with 10 mil, and placed second (behind Private Practice) in the demo (with a 1.9). NBC’s bubble-riding Prime Suspect (4.8 mil/1.2) gained 7 percent in audience while holding steady in the demo.

What were you watching this Thursday?

1. TinCan says:

I think I will skip X Factor and just read Slezak’s write-ups. Saves time and Michael is so funny!

2. kevin says:

Watch Charlie’s Angels final episode last night. Still very sad and emotional now that the iconic reboot is over but I’m very grateful and a lot of respect to ABC for giving us a new generation of the franchise and producer Drew Barrymore. Minka Kelly, Rachael Taylor, Annie Ilonzeh, Ramon Rodriguez and of course Victor Garber (the voice of Charlie) are definitely the true stars of the series and we hope they’re moving on to do other projects in the near future and when I watch the final scene with the Angels together in the basketball court, it makes me feel so sad and emotional just like it did in the pilot (the yacht scene). Thank you ABC for giving us the opportunity and appreciation you show us for making CHARLIE’S ANGELS the show to watch every Thursday night at 8 p.m. and showing the love and respect of the iconic franchise and definitely earn our wings together. ANGELS WILL LIVE ON FOREVER.

3. rod says:

im worried for Parks and Rec and Community, the ratings have been lower than ever but both shows are so good!!

4. Stormy says:

I have a feeling that Bone’s new squintern is Zac part deux . He is too polite and too respectful, exactly what fits a psychopath. Think DeNiro in Cape Fear.

• kyra says:

omg i love him :) RIP V.N.M.:(

• Amy says:

His accent drove me CRAZY. It was terrible! And the writers clearly hate him – they gave him the lamest lines ever. I’m from NC and NO ONE here talks like that. Even in the boonies….

• Ana Muller says:

I know he was a psycho but I loved Zach, wish they’d bring him back. About the new squintern, I like him, so that means he’ll probably get killed off or will start helping a serial killer.

• AnnClau says:

Do all the characters you like always suffers, die or go help serial killers too? It does that to me. I mean it’s like they’re wiating for me to really like a character and them they torture him, kill him, make him go crazy something. In every show.

5. Sam says:

For some reason Rules of Engagement doesn’t get the credit it deserves. Rules had the second highest numbers of the night in terms of total viewers, which it also had last week. Furthermore, a 3.6 demo rating is nothing to scoff at.

Well, here’s to hoping CBS starts treating Rules better, and the powers that be in the TV commentator / review world give it some truly earned props for it’s solid ratings regardless of how often it’s moved around.

• Pete says:

Here here!

Rules of Engagement is currently one of the best sitcoms on TV but has always been overlooked by the public and press. The figures for this season clearly inidcate that people like the show, it’s high-time CBS show it some more respect.

In my eyes it has the best ensemble of cast on TV, especially with Patrick Warburton there.

6. dee says:

we love bones is funny plus has mystery to it cant wait to see where it goes from here

7. Girish says:

Those are awesome numbers for TVD. But now that it went into 2 month hiatus mode, the numbers may fall upon its return. Stupid move to have a 2 month hiatus CW.

• shaun says:

You nitwit,all shows go on hiatus around now.Returning Jan 5th is actually a speedy return.

• Eric says:

You moron! 2 month hiatus is a long time! Many shows r going to hiatus from december!

• Russ says:

Actually season 2 stopped on Dec 9th and came back Jan 27th, if you look at a calendar that equals 7 weeks.
          Season 3 stopped on Nov 10th and comes back Jan 5th, if you look at a calendar that equals 8 weeks.
          So its only one week longer, but season 2 came back with 11 episodes season 3 has 13 episodes left. So I think its that equals out.

8. Marissa says:

I think Whitney has been getting better, but there is no way it should be getting more viewers than either Community or Parks & Rec. That is just wrong.

• dane says:

The writing for Whitney is okay and is improving.. but the actress (Whitney Cummings) is really just terrible. She always looks like she’s smirking and thinking of a private joke. It’s irritating.

9. Ely says:

Am… If you don’t like it don’t watch it!! There are a lot of people who watch it, that’s why it’s still on!! Just sayin…

10. tahina says:

Now that Booth and Bones are becoming a family, their chemistry is dimming.

• lucyinthesky says:

I for one think their chemistry has rather improved from last season when Booth was in love with that Hanna person and they were practically like strangers. I like it so much better now, don’t know if in comparison to all previous season, but comparing to season 6 alone their relationship even without the will they/won’t they thing has gotten a lot better, it was about time they stopped relying on sexual tension to make the show work anyways, 6 years is enough I was getting bored.

• dane says:

I think you are wrong. The sexual tension has dimmed – but that’s because they are a couple now. But they still have chemistry in spades. It can’t all be about ‘will they/won’t they’ – because that can’t sustain a show forever.

I am intrigued by the new dynamic and I am curious to see how the writers keep the Odd Couple vibe going.

• Christina says:

Are you kidding me? Compared to season 6, their chemistry is off the charts. I’m enjoying this season so much more than the previous one. It was as if they were perfect strangers even during the second half of the season (when Hannah had left), but now I can feel their closeness again, and to me, that’s more than enough to keep me watching.

• AnnClau says:

I think Booth and Bones being together is quite nice. It’s going great. I was so afraid it was gonna do like House and Cuddy in House and go all wrong and get the show all dying and not good anymore but it’s actually awesome.

11. fernando says:

I will miss Charlie’s Angels, Last night was the best ep.

12. Nina says:

It’s sad to see the angels go, I loved the show, I know in time it would have been a great show, last night proved how good it was getting.

13. Jess says:

I think Bones may have dipped because it was the Fall Finale of Grey’s. Grey’s had some pretty strong Promo’s over the week so. Grabbing a fair bit of attention. Plus all the media blogs have been running spoilers on Greys all week and kinda leaving Bones in the dark.

14. Annie says:

Bones had to evolve, the chemistry matured and the humour of the well written script retained

15. NEK38583 says:

tvseriefinale is reporting that ROE has been cancelled by CBS. Is that true ?

16. Lisa says:

I don’t like the new Bones intern. I like the ‘southern man’ but Finn’s fake accent sucks and his hick talk and poor grammar is unacceptable in such a work place as the Jeffersonian. I was really annoyed and found it hard to finish watching Bones and that made me mad.