Ratings: As CMA Awards Dominate Night, Harry's Law Is Only Show to Gain

ABC’s broadcast of the CMA Awards dominated Wednesday’s ratings, delivering 16.3 million total viewers while scoring a 4.8 with the coveted 18-49 demo. Those numbers are on par with the kudoscast’s 2010 performance, with the demo number upticking ever-so-slightly from last year’s all-time low.

Facing that stiff competition, almost all Wednesday fare dipped a bit, save for NBC’s Up All Night (which held steady with 4.8 million viewers and a 1.8 rating) and Harry’s Law (7.1 mil/1.3, up 18 percent in the demo to match its season high).

Just a few notes….

* The X Factor‘s Top 11 performance show drew 10.14 million total viewers and a 3.7 rating, down 14 and 7 percent week-to-week.

* CBS’ Survivor (10.6 mil/3.1) fell double digits, while Criminal Minds (11.3 mil/3.4) slipped 8 percent in the demo.

* Come 10 o’clock, both CSI (10.1 mil/2.5) and SVU (6.64 mil/1.9) got smoked by the CMA Awards’ third hour. Both procedurals dipped about 5 percent, with SVU copping its lowest rating ever.

What were you watching Wednesday?

1. Joe says:

The CMAs easily is the most entertaining awards show out there with easily the most talent to be showcased. Always a good show. And brad and Carrie did an amazing job as hosts. Carrie was stunning!

2. Jessie says:

Good ratings for the CMAS. There must be a lot of dim-witted yokels in this country. :-/

3. jasin says:

Now will NBC order the back nine for Harry’s Law???

4. Marlon says:

I watched American Horror Story, one of the best shows on air right now. How is that doing? Anybody know? Cause there aren’t that many episodes left and I was hoping it would have been renewed for a 2nd season already :(

5. Lisa says:

The CMA show is very entertaining and all is performed live with no lip synching. Last night’s awards was fabulous and funny. Though, I don’t know what was up with Nicole Kidman’s hair; very bad. Lionel Richie has the smoothest beautiful voice; he was a super treat and he has a country album coming out. The Glen Campbell tribute almost had me crying. Glen looked great. Wow!

6. Lisa says:

Carrie Underwood’s gowns are hit and miss. The picture above looks like she is wearing a life preserver around her neck. It was a bad look and looked even worse under the bright Tennessee lights.

• dan says:

My 14-year-old fashionista daughter thought that Carrie’s dress in the picture above was horrible. She couldn’t believe that Carrie was wearing it! She liked most of the other dresses that Carrie wore during the hour or so she watched the show.

7. kevin says:

Wonder if Brad and Carrie goes five for five to co-host next year.

8. Lisa says:

Last night, I was thinking about how I’d like to see Dolly Parton on stage. I was kind of upset that they stuck the Glen Campbell tribute in towards the end and that they didn’t perform more of his songs. When Glen got up on stage they gave him a guitar, he pulls a pick from his pocket, strums a few then they cut to commercial. When they came back it was just Brad & Carrie again.

9. robinepowell says:

I have not watched Harry’s Law this season, except for the season premiere. I tried to follow it but couldn’t, so I dropped it.

Too many changes, both cast and the setting. I enjoyed more last season, when she was in the shoe store in a bad neighbourhood. If the show gets a third season, I’ll be very surprised.

Instead I watch SVU and if I can, I watch Criminal Minds @ 9:00. I used to watch CSI, but not this season. Just couldn’t get into it, since they’re preparing for Catherine’s depature.

10. Holly says:

I know they come out later, but can I put in a request that we get an update on cable shows ratings in general on Wednesdays? I know that a lot of people care about American Horror Story and I personally would love to know how Psych is holding up in the numbers as the season moves along.

11. Alana says:

Boring night zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

12. Marc says:

Nice to hear about Harry’s Law, I really enjoy the show!

13. jon says:

I love Harry’s Law. I am sooo sick of awards show, dancing shows, singing contest shows, catfight shows…when will these ever end. It is so sad that there are so much more of you who only do easy watching that your kind of shows dominate.. Thinking shows like Rock Center with B Williams will never stand a chance..

14. Doug says:

I only watch t.v. when Carrie Underwood is on.

15. Pat says:

Harry’s Law is one of my favorite shows. Love Kathy Bates. Enjoy the sensitive issues they explore. Everyone I talk to likes the show too.