The X Factor Recap: Movie Violations

Things I don’t want to see ever again on The X Factor: Two-hour commercials promoting Adam Sandler’s latest “film.” Any/all of the judges channeling Randy Jackson in their critiques; back-critiquing performances they praised in the previous week; trying to take credit for their rival mentors’ successes; and smiling smugly as if it was them, not their contestants, who hit those big-ass notes. Adherence to “theme weeks” that are flimsier than Paula Abdul’s non-electronically enhanced singing voice. Promotion of the idea that a Pepsi commercial is the single greatest signifier of musical success. And Steve Jones giggling the word “whoopsie!”

Whew! Now let me just take a deep, cleansing breath, and we can talk about the Top 11 performances on this dubiously constructed “Songs from the Movies” night — including armies of backing vocalists,  L.A. Reid’s chair-dancing prowess, and Simon Cowell’s love of that Kate Hudson masterpiece You, Me and Dupree. (Hey, at least it wasn’t Fool’s Gold.)

Stacy Francis Whitney Houston’s “Queen of the Night”
I don’t know what Stacy did to upset the X Factor styling team — maybe she damaged their eardrums with last week’s “Up to the Mountain” holleration? — but the grand unveiling of her forehead courtesy of a wonky center part and that red vinyl cocktail-waitress minidress did her no favors in her quest for a $5 million record contract. Even worse, though, Stacy’s own mentor seems to be working against her, too. “Queen of the Night” is one of those rhino-charging compositions that doesn’t really allow for subtlety or modulation, and not even a safari guide with a shotgun can slow its relentless advance. Forced to deliver the ditty while writhing inside a jungle gym with a pack of backup dancers, Stacy looked befuddled, and at times, her voice strained so hard it took on the peculiar “stuck in the throat” qualities of a cartoon frog. Alas, her rival mentors could taste the blood in the water, with L.A. obnoxiously declaring he likes Stacy better when she’s crying (really, dude?) and Simon lasciviously noting he only wanted her to wear that dress if she’s visiting his home (classy!). At least Nicole kept her focus on the things that matter most: “You shined from within tonight.” (Oh, Nicole!)

Marcus Canty: Rose Royce’s “I’m Going Down”
Maybe it shouldn’t matter, but I hated that L.A. chose the same track for Marcus that Jazzlyn Little performed during her awe-inspiring audition that aired less than two months ago. By comparison, Marcus’ vocal came up just a tiny bit short — but then again, he had to contend with lung-crippling levels of dry ice and a silver sequined jacket that clung to his left arm like Katy Perry clings to Auto-Tune. (Uh-huh, I said it!) That said, Marcus proved he’s got soul and power by managing to distract me from the weird montage of playing cards that whirled against the backdrop, and while I’m not 100% sure my X Factor crystal ball had his Kris Allen-esque face (srsly! something about them looks similar!) floating in the middle of it, I don’t think he’s going to have to go back to mowing lawns to make his rent money, either.

Drew Ryniewicz: Coldplay’s “Fix You”
Set aside the fact that Simon tried to convince us that “Fix You” is known as a You, Me and Dupree soundtrack cut (and the fact that the show’s producers think it’s from the soundtrack to Chris Rene’s life). Set aside Drew’s self-designed patchwork tutu with silver bodice that signaled the wisdom of her auditioning for X Factor, not Project Runway. And set aside L.A.’s testy “everything you sing sounds alike,” even though “Fix You” is a huge departure — in terms of tempo, tone, and genre — from Nelly’s “Just a Dream.” (What does he want? Ke$ha’s “Blah Blah Blah”?) Fact is, Drew nailed every note of the song, managed to completely channel the track’s wistful yet hopeful emotion. Is it really such a bad thing that she has an instantly recognizable tone to her voice that doesn’t sound like it was run through a personality-deleting computer program?

LeRoy Bell: U2’s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”:
Does anyone associate this song with Runaway Bride, really? Okay, I just had to ask. Anyhow, it was nice to see LeRoy paired with a song that allowed him to fill the rock-soul niche that’s been largely absent from X Factor’s inaugural season. Sure, LeRoy’s cadence in the opening verse seemed a tad behind the beat, and no, maybe he doesn’t have so much charisma that he can afford to donate a few pints during the next Red Cross drive, but as Simon said, he was “dignified, in control, and classy” — and couldn’t every reality show use a little of that sometimes?

Lakoda Rayne: Keith Urban “Somebody Like You”
Why do Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall need six backup singers on stage — and possibly another 50 or 60 voices piped onto the X Factor‘s cavernouse (French for cavernous*) soundstage? I actually enjoyed the portions of the performance where you could make out the girls’ individual voices — except for those harmonies gone awry in the final chorus — but Paula refuses to showcase them in a stripped-down, acoustic setting that would allow us to see how talented (or not) this quartet really is. Then again, given Paula’s feedback — “I see you all over Pepsi!” — I probably shouldn’t really get my hopes up for stripped down and acoustic, should I? (*actually just a typo that made me giggle)

Astro: Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” (with original lyrics)
To paraphrase Joan Jett, I hate myself for loving this performance. But how can I deny that the kid’s skills behind the mic are bordering on awe-inspiring. Oh sure, I rolled my eyes when Astro said he’s been “writing and producing” since he was 10. (Producing what, exactly? His fourth-grade homework assignments?) And yes, I feel an unnatural rage whenever his Dwayne Wayne photo appears on my TV screen? And worst of all, he’s got no sense of humor whatsoever. But my head swiveled just like L.A.’s as Astro declared: “I got classics that y’all ain’t even hear yet/ I made it this far and I ain’t shed a tear yet.” Thankfully, Paula interrupted my reverie by telling Astro he “transcends a myriad of genres.” Say wha? I must’ve missed the weeks the kid tackled country, big band, and new age.

Melanie Amaro: Michael Jackson’s “Man in the Mirror”
I understood why L.A. criticized the choice of Michael Jackson’s inspirational ballad for Melanie — Simon seems to be painting her into a corner labeled “telethons and holiday CDs only” — especially since she had to perform in front of a backdrop of “sad words” that dissolved into “inspirational” ones. What’s more, the paint-by-numbers arrangement didn’t really allow Melanie to take any liberties with the melody and frequently attempted to bury her massive vocal behind a wall of white noise. So it’s really saying something that in spite the fact that Simon really should’ve made that change and given Melanie something offbeat and hip — I even made some suggestions last week that dude ought to consider! — she turned in one of my favorite performances of the night. Yep, she’s that good.

Stereo Hogzz: Christina Aguilera’s “Ain’t No Other Man”
Paula has some weird obsession with highlighting the arms of the band’s lead singer, Trace. Usually, the guy takes the stage with his garments ripped asunder at the shoulders, but this week he rocked a gray blazer with leather sleeves! Okay, that’s neither here nor there. And it’s not giving due credit to the Hogzz for a snappy, gender-modified take on Christina Aguilera’s fast and furious “Ain’t No Other Man.” I kind of love that this quintet hasn’t succumbed to Boyz II Men syndrome and given us ballad after ballad after ballad. And even though there were a few vocal imperfections over the course of the performance, I thought the choreography was slick and sophisticated enough to almost make me forget those backup dancers in the clear plastic bubble skirts.

Josh Krajcik: The Beatles’ “With a Little Help From My Friends”
I worry about Josh, people! No doubt, he’s one of the most promising vocalists in the competition — save for last week’s off-key debacle — but I don’t think Nicole really has the slightest idea of how to showcase him. Channeling Joe Cocker’s version of “With a Little Help…” is the kind of thing that gets you a job on a cruise-ship tribute band, not a $5 million recording deal. And the wacky staging — which Simon hilariously compared to “Dracula and the Brides” — didn’t do Josh any favors, either. I’ve got a feeling Josh has some pretty strong ideas of what he’d like to sing and how he’d like to sing it; here’s hoping he flexes that creativity next week. (Cut to Nicole, seething at me, with a “Don’t hate; congratulate.”) Okay, Nicole, I’ll admit: He sounded pretty great. And I throw you that bone because you told Steve Jones to zip it on live television, and someone really needed to do that.

Chris Rene: Coolio’s “Gangster’s Paradise” (reconfigured as “Pastime Paradise”)
I don’t want to make any kind of “light from within” or “you stood in the center of your own truth” observations — Nicole and Paula give us plenty of that already — but there is something about Chris that transcends whether or not he hits every note, or perfectly completes every phrase. I loved that Chris wrote a lot of his own lyrics for a Coolio number that would’ve seemed a little peculiar in its original form, and I loved the fact that he performed with such charisma and conviction, I barely noticed the army of backup dancers who popped up behind him. Whether or not those qualities can carry Chirs all the way through the holiday season and into the Season 1 finale remains to be seen, but there’s a relevance and excitement to him that make me excited to see him try. (Well, as long as he stops shouting “love life!” every 30 seconds.)

Rachel Crow: Etta James’ “I’d Rather Go Blind”
I really appreciated that Simon admitted to not having done a good job showcasing Rachel’s talent over the first few weeks of the competition, and sure enough, his choice of an Etta James ballad erased any doubt that the 13-year-old kid possesses the kind of vocal firepower that might even have Stacy Francis ducking for cover behind a speaker stack. Granted, there were a couple little wobbles in Rachel’s lower register — and there was perhaps a whiff of studiedness that made me feel like she wasn’t so much feeling the lyrics as she was reciting them for her acting coach — but that might just be me being nitpicky and protective of my favored ponies Drew and Melanie. Either way, Rachel should never again have to endure a giggling line like this from Steve Jones: “I wanna eat her up!” No, Steve, that is not how we show personality. Try again!

And with that, my prediction for Most Likely to Land in the Bottom Two: Stacy Francis and Lakoda Rayne

Probably Going Home
Stacy Francis

What did you think of this week’s X Factor? Who was your fave? Who’s your Bottom 2 prediction? Sound off below, and for all my reality recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Hilla says:

I don’t think Stacy is going home.. She has the sob story the producers cannot do without…

• msmaka says:

Agree, I think if it comes to Stacy vs one of the groups (or Leroy possibly) in the bottom two she would likely survive.

• hope springs eternal says:

I don’t know — they haven’t been going on about her backstory as much the past couple weeks. Maybe they’ve milked that one for all they could, and now that they’ve had time to build out some of the other contestants’ histories, they don’t really need it anymore.

• Aunt Sassy says:

Well, since her back-story has been exposed as being pretty much all lies, I am not surprised they stopped talking about it.

• ramification says:

But its not really lies, she hasn’t had a big break, she was a jobbing singer, people make it seem like she was a massive star before and hid it and it’s simply not true, she was saying she never believed in herself before to take it to the next level. The editors of the show cherry pick comments to make it into an interesting narrative.

• Erin says:

It’s not the “I haven’t been a big star” lie that they’re talking about now as much, ramification. It’s the fact that she’s been exposed by the “abusive ex” and everyone who knew them as having lied about that part of the story. If you haven’t read the article in which he is interviewed yet, he’s considering legal action against her for slander.

• Shindig says:

I feel like the whole “she lied” controversy made them shift gears with that. I wouldn’t mind it if she got booted, but I think she’s safe. She does actually have a fanbase. My bet is either on Stereo hoggz (spelling? lol) or Lakoda Rayne. or maybe possibly somehow Marcus. Either way, I think one of the groups is going. Lots of people in the pop-country voting block might eat up the Dixie C– I mean, Lakoda Rayne!

• these aren't the chicks you're looking for says:

I really liked the Dixie Chicks, but “Landslide” last week proved just how far Lakoda Rayne are from being in their league. Unless they improve by leaps and bounds every week, I suspect the pop-country voters are going to get bored and just not vote as much.

• FazeCraze says:

Yeah, last night she said something about how she’d had a lot of opportunities in her life but how none of them had worked out. Kind of a different message than the one she stuck to during the auditions.

• Mercedes S says:

But her sob story is fake!! Stacy played a gospel singer in “Bonfire of the Vanities” MORE THAN TWENTY YEARS AGO, and has done tons of movies and TV-shows…

• tommytomted says:

Stacy was done tons of movies and TV shows? You mean like “Girl Singer #1″ in “Fastlane”. These were small parts, and very few of them. And only one movie! In 21 years! Not tons! And there was 10 years between her small role in The Bonfire of the Vanities, a bomb by the way, and her small role on Third Watch. 10 years!

Tons of movies & TV shows? 12 small roles in 19 years is not tons of movies & TV shows. Mercedes S needs to do some homework before she runs her mouth.

Hey Mercedes, ever heard of IMDB?

2. b-line says:

bottom two: stacey and stereohogz

3. Ryan says:

Slezak, you really dislike Lakoda Rayne! While they are far from my favorite, I have never quite found them as bad as you do. As for my bottom two picks: Stacy Francis and Stereo Hogzzzzzzz. I hope it’s Stacy, but I will not mind the “group” of 5 dudes where 1.5 of them actually sing going away.

• Jason says:

Slezak has always hated the really sexy women!!! I was really surprised when he came around to Haley after criticizing her for weeks. I guess if a women is sexy and attractive on the show it takes an absolute perfect, undeniable performance for Slezak to like them.

4. Delon says:

Everyone was pretty solid, except for Stacey. This first season is shaping up to be better than i had anticipated watching audition rounds. I feel like the show can only go up from here.

5. seriously? says:

Still no acknowledgment that “reconfigured as Pastime Paradise” means “with the original Stevie Wonder lyric in the sample”? LA & Chris deserve some props for taking the song back to its roots; not just reconfiguring “a Coolio number.”

• seriously? says:

And I’ll add — it’s not just the lyric change on the chorus — Chris’s original verses track better to the message of Wonder’s original than Coolio’s version, too. The guy knows his history; gotta admire that.

6. Sarah says:

This is how I know I am enjoying X Factor more than any other show like this because there are no easy vote offs. The first 5 people on Idol are usually so terrible that you have a few weeks of voting. On X Factor, each week is interesting and each act is very talented. There is no one that is horrible and it will get harder and harder each week. I can’t wait to see what’s next!

7. Alienate says:

Bottom 2: Sterohogzz and Leroy

8. JDuro says:

Jeez someone get this fool a copy of “Songs in the Key of Life”.

Loved Lakoda Rayne. Theirs was the most fun performance of the night. They just keep getting better each week. I expect they’ll be safe.

• RT says:

There is something about Lakoda Rayne that I just can’t put my finger on that makes me not care for them. Also, I am not sure why a group needs back-up singers. It was hard to know what was them singing and what wasn’t. I’d like it better if it was just them. I noticed the same with the Stereo Hoggz.

• Volcfom says:

They’ve had back-up vocals for all of the performances, but this is the first week that they’ve shown them on stage. Probably from all the backlash about Stereo Hogzz members not singing.

9. Allieoop says:

Oh, Michael . . . How can you not love Astro’s Dwayne Wayne photo?!

10. TinCan says:

I am getting tired of LA’s comments — he is starting to seem as full of himself as Simon is. Enough with the bickering between the “mentors.”

11. Evey says:

Loved Melanie & Rachel’s performance

Liked Drew, Josh, Astro, Chris & LeRoy

Stacey, Stereo Hoggz, Lakoda can go now

Marcus – on the fence still

12. MacTheMovieguy says:

StereoHoggz are going home.

13. Joshtinpowers says:

The 2 rap songs were the only songs that I truly identified with the movies they came from.

14. Scorpiosue1102 says:

I’ll ask this, why did StereoHoggz need so many back up singers too? If you’re a group shouldn’t your harmonies be enough? Also, I thought it was kind of weird that the leader singer of SH has a higher voice than Christina. It just sounded off to me.

Bottom two are Stacey Francis and StereoHoggz. SH going home.

• RT says:

I agree about the back-up singers. It’s the same with Lakoda Rayne. For me, I can tolerate the Stereo Hoggz better because they have more charisma and chemistry as a group and had a better overall performance. I just can’t get behind Lakoda Rayne, and hate the name.

15. apropos of nothing says:

Not that anybody’s going to care, but from a disability perspective, I thought Rachel’s lyric change made the song distinctly more offensive. The “I’d rather go blind than see this” idea relies on the assumption that going blind is something that, in general, sucks (so if to “see you walk away” is even worse, that’s really bad). That’s cool by me — sighted people *do* usually like being that way, and find the experience of losing their sight (*going* blind) to suck mightily. But change that to “I’d rather be blind,” with the same implication that just *being* blind is the thing that sucks so much, and a lot of people who just happen to be blind and don’t particularly mind it aren’t going to like having their lives characterized that way for the sake of a rhetorical device in a song.

I might refrain from grumbling if there were some redeeming value to the lyric change, but considering that it didn’t actually seem to serve any useful purpose (in fact, putting on my writing teacher hat, I’d say it’s a step backwards — “be” is a more passive, therefore less powerful, verb than “go”), it just seems like they’re insulting more people for no good reason.

• Eli says:

Anyone who claims to be happy they are blind is either A. Lying or B. Trying to make himself feel better.

• your ignorance is showing says:

I didn’t say people are *happy* to be blind, but plenty of people who’ve been that way all their life see it as no big deal at all.

• J. May says:

I may be wrong, but I don’t think she changed anything. The lyrics progress from “go” in the 2nd verse to “be” in the final verse. Is that correct, anybody?

• apropos of nothing, and mistaken, too says:

Wow, you’re right — I totally did not remember that from Etta James’s recording (and after the “You’re My Sunshine” bit last week, I was expecting random lyric change-ups from Simon), but I just dug up my copy, and it is indeed exactly the same, lyrics-wise. The real difference is just that Rachel went for the powerful finish, where in the version I’ve got Etta James kind of fades out, so Rachel actually had my full attention for that final line — which is totally a credit to her, of course. I still don’t like the lyric (and now I *am* going to notice it every time I listen to Etta James, too, darn it all), but yeah, totally not Rachel’s doing. Thanks for the pointer!

16. Jim Dorsey says:

Well, here we go. As mentioned yesterday, there are at least five potential stars in this group, but maybe we can now see that Rachel Crow is one of them…

What’s also interesting is that she’s better at producing herself than the show is. And the Beyonce comparison is way off base. She’s more of a belter in the tradition of Janis Joplin for lack of a better choice…

They mispresented her, but she now has it back on track and it’s less likely that they’ll get it wrong again…

She’s a belter. Let her belt…

And who really gives a rip that she’s 13… she’s not going to be 13 forever, but she may be around that long…

Get a grip. Rachel Crow is looking like a major talent…

What fun…

• b-line says:

rachel was more like sharon jones than anybody else

• jamezd says:

b-line, liking your sharon jones call a lot… just saw her on youtube kickin’ it with michael boob-lay… nice…

rachel can also think about covers of shirley bassey or jennider holiday…

• Karen A. says:

First, I LOVED Rachel’s singing tonight. It was thrilling. And second, does anyone else find it a little uncomfortable to watch a girl with her apparent low level of maturity singing like that? She acts like Little Orphan Annie or some other kid but sings like Janis or Aretha. If she can act a little more grown up when she’s not singing, it might help. But she’s probably too young to live up to her voice–I think that it’s another one of those ‘channeling’ things, like Jackie Evanko.

I do think that Rachel was grabbing her crotch last week, though.

Do I want everyone to sing church music??? Not really.

• tommytomted says:

So Jackie Evanko is another one of those “channeling things”

Karen A…have you lost your mind? You are not fit to carry Jackie Evanko’s bags!

17. evie says:

Josh sang Beatle’s “WALHFMF??” Thought his voice was fantastic, but didn’t even recognize the song. I don’t know if that was because Cocker’s version was so different from the original or because the back-up singers were way too loud and actually drowned out Josh’s voice and words most of the time. I was very disappointed by the song but I still like Josh and would like to hear him perform R.C.’s “Georgia ON My Mind.” I, too, am astounded by the talent on this show. If I liked rap I would like all the contestants equally.

18. db says:

Does it bug anyone else that the audience needs to chirp all the way through any slow song? From beginning to end whether a cool note or note, they pop in to the song and its hard to feel the moment for me…..

19. Jim from Chicago says:

Stacy and the Stereo Hogzz in the bottom two, possibly Drew. Stacy going home.

Don’t know what you were listening to, Slezak, but I absolutely loved Lakoda Rayne’s performance.

20. Jurybox says:

Bottom two will be Stacy and Stereo Hogzz, with Stacy going home because they won’t take a group out again.

Except for Simon’s smug smile, I was magically entertained by Rachel’s performance as she got back to the singer she presented to us in the audition rounds. Good for you, Rachel, for getting your own artistry on stage again. What an amazing voice!

I love Melanie Amaro but this was not her best performance.

Drew was a bit annoying in her rendition of the song, but she still has an awesome voice and is just lovely (even with the weird dress).

Astro will be around a few more weeks for sure.

Love Josh, but wish he didn’t overdue the Joe Cocker impersonation. He’s much better than that and I hope next week he does something else.

No one else stood out very much for me, except for the awfulness of Stacy’s performance.

21. A says:

Love Josh. Give him a Tom Waits song…Walzing Matilda maybe??

22. lorna wright says:

Astro is a talented kid – but can only do the one genre
    He’ll never win X factor

• avasinatra says:

that’s true but it worked out well enough for Jay Z.

I doubt that he will win either but he is going to be signed by someone.

The fact that L.A. got Lose Yourself for him is major. Eminem doesn’t let other people use his music unless he’s getting paid.

• Billy says:

Out of respect for Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Sibelius, Mozart, and all that is holy, please try to refrain from using the words music and Eminem in the same sentence.

• tommytomted says:

Astro has already won himself a career. You don’t need to win X-Factor to win. Look at all the runners up on Idol who went on to be much more successful than the winner.

23. Kelsey says:

I disagree, idols talent is better and more diverse and Stacey and stereo hogz are terrible.

24. Liz says:

Would love to hear Josh do “When a Man Loves a Woman.”

25. Kelly says:

Note: Simon clarified that he did not pick Rachel’s song; she selected it herself.

26. postress says:

My prediction: Bottom 2

Stacy Francis and Stereo Hoggz

All I can say is, Producers what’s up with the groups having background singers? That’s a total head scratcher??? I thought the whole point of a vocal group was harmony within the actual group?

27. ohreli says:

“ ‘I wanna eat her up!’ No, Steve, that is not how we show personality. Try again!”

He learned that from Cat Deeley. Worked for her!

28. Libbie says:

I wish the producers would tone down the audience yelling and screaming throughout the songs and the judges comments. I find it very distracting.

• Billy says:

In this respect, they sure could learn a thing from the producers of American Idol. Hope next episode Stevie Jones shouts out “Silence, you ninnies!”

29. crn says:

Amen to that.

30. Scott says:

Thanks Mike. I look forward to your recaps as much as I do the actual show. For the record, I can’t wait to see where Drew is going to go!

31. karenb says:

“even a safari guide with a shotgun can slow its relentless advance” lmao! Where do you get this stuff? You kill me!

As your fellow Kris-fan-in-crime, I really don’t see the resemblance with Marcus,but I will take a look tonight!

Astro coulda been signed after his KrisKross performance. He will definitely be picked up whenever his run ends on X. If it ends.

I hope it’s Stacey that leaves tonight, but I worry that it may be LeRoy.

32. AndyLuvr says:

Again I ask: what is it that the live audience and judges are hearing that those of us at home cannot through our speakers? Stacy Francis was HORRIFIC? Her weave/wig was a mess and her vocals were ear splittingly atrocious. How did this woman make it this far?

I’m Melanie Amaro all the way. That girl has solid technique and a beautiful sounding instrument.

• AndyLuvr says:

The above is supposed to say, “Stacy Francis was HORRIFIC!!!” – no question mark.

• K says:

I think that Stacy was horrific tonight, but is usually brilliant. She said that she wanted to be a pop star, not a ‘church singer’, but it works much better when she’s a church singer. And why try to act cute? She’s not cute, she’s in her ’40s and beautiful–act your age, Stacy.

33. Jason says:

Slezak – I just don’t get your continued hatred of Katy Perry.. I have seen her live in concert. She is an amazing vocalist with her own style and originality. The only thing I could tell she uses is backup singers and backing tracks in the chorus. There may be a little autotune in California girls but that was the producers choice as it is the style of the day. It is not out of necessity like Britney Spears. It is an artistic choice. When Katy sings the ballads and most of her songs she doesn’t use autotune and she is perfectly in tune. She is an amazing performer. You probably only hate her because she is outselling all your favorite divas. (Alison Iraheta, Kelly Clarkson). Actually every female on the planet with possible exception of Gaga.

34. Rohit says:

Micheal’s nitpicking with Astro – no sense of humor – really? I find Astro more refreshing and interesting than Drew – he’s 15 and writes (really good) lyrics and raps like a pro! He seems nice and humble, and is very gracious when he’s praised. His “attitude” is a typical swagger which is the norm where he grew up..get over it already! I think Drew will get boring very soon…Brooke White 2, definitely.

35. Brent says:

Has anyone noticed how Josh Krajcik seemed to be channeling Jack Black in that final verse? I thought he was singing a song from the creepy, oily version of School Of Rock.

36. kristine c. says:

Drew all the way! I want a Drew-Melanie Finale. ^________^

37. Volcfom says:

Michael, you really need to watch this:
    “Pastime Paradise” by Stevie Wonder

• Volcfom says:

P.S. I still can’t get over the fact that when I close my eyes and just listen, I can still tell that Rachel Crow is too young. Her voice will be great in ten years time, but until then I’m not buying it.
      She needs to develop a little more; she had a few scream-sing moments on the notes she can’t quite hit yet.

38. stephen foreman says:

How Are You,Your family,and Your Friends Doing? Concerning the Gigantic X That Fell To the Planet Earth Matches Up Perfectly With The Scripture That Says Did’nt I See You Fall From Heaven Like As Lightening??????????

39. stephen foreman says:

The Holy Bible Is The Only Book That History Is Historically Alligned With!!!!!!!

40. J says:

I can’t STAND Lakoda Rayne. They bore me to tears. I’d rather they go home, at least I enjoy listening to Stacey sing. I coudl do without the Stereohogzz as well, I think. Everyone else was pretty good. My favorite’s still Josh. I favor Rachel, Chris and Astro as well.

41. Geo says:

Drew sounded just as rehearesed as Rachel Crow, IMO. “And ig-nigh-igh-igh-igh-ght your, bones.” Every syllable (and the three added ones) was so calcualted that it made me uncomfortable.