Glee Preview Video: Watch the Troubletones Tackle an Adele Mashup

And now a clip from next Tuesday’s Glee (8/7 c on Fox) that will have you wondering why the heck Mercedes was forced to attend New Directions’ booty camp. Indeed, Ms. Jones shakes it on down with Santana, Brittany, and the rest of the Troubletones on a mashup of Adele’s “Rumour Has It” and “Someone Like You” — which just so happens to be the show’s 300th musical performance!

Glee Season 3, Episode 5 Recap: The Sex Factor

Rachel and Kurt, beware, this performance is visually awesome. And vocally (thanks to Amber Riley and Naya Rivera) it’s even awesome-er. Press play, enjoy, repeat. Then hit the comments and share your thoughts on this little slice of preview heaven.

1. Jessica says:

Naya Rivera needs to release her own single ASAP. Phenomenal voice and actress.

2. Kirsty says:

Naya is incredible!!! follow me on twitter @IHeartBrittana

3. dead. says:

This is absolutely amazing! Naya and Amber .. simply flawless!

4. Sen says:

At first, I was a little concerned about the gang splitting up, but if it means more wonderful goodness like this, I am all for it!!

Wonderful job by both ladies!

5. Elisa says:

Amazing! Probably one of my favorite performance… boy those two girls can sing! i was skeptical, but I was so happy to be proven wrong. This was incredible. Definitely going to buy it as soon as available on Itunes!

6. Matt says:

This is the most captivating performance I’ve seen all season! Can’t wait!

7. dee says:

Very nice, ladies. Shame they don’t have enough members to compete at sectionals. Or have we forgotten about the rule (I think it was 12 members) that required New Directions to complete their ranks with fillers?

8. me says:

Absolutely incredible!! I’m in love.

9. Mel says:

As much as I hate the “Mercedes is a Diva and left New Directions” storyline…I LOVE seeing these ladies front and center… so I guess I can start to overlook the storyline…

10. Ryan says:

That’s got to be one of my favorite mash ups ever. Have they been holding back all year so the songs Shelby arranges are so much better than Will’s songs?

11. LC says:

Amazing performance!!! Favorite so far this year. BUT, the clear devastation on Santana and Brittany’s at different points face makes me nervous…

• Ian says:

I agree that is an AWESOME performance by the Queens of Glee duets and the Troubletones. I was also concerned about the looks Santana and Brittany were giving each other, they both looked very sad. I do hope that they stay together as the pairing should be a godsend to the writers… ‘the bitch’ and the ‘stoopid one’.

• PoliVamp says:

I think they were performing for New Directions, so maybe they were just uncomfortable?

12. Lisa says:

Can’t wait for the episode.

Never realizied how great Naya’s voice is until more recently. Cudos to the powers that be for highlighing her voice more.

Naya & Amber sound amazing together, as were Naya & Lea this week on the West Side Story music.

Three very strong female vocals, hooray for Lea, Amber & Naya.

• champmav says:

Well said, you echo my thoughts exactly, and without feeling the need to denigrate other singers just to praise one. I like you.

• Lisa says:

I hear you. All 3 have different vocal talents, and each are great in their own way. No need to put one down to justify support for another, there is room for all.

Also, whether people love or hate Santana, Naya Rivera does a fantastic job at portraying her. Her facial expressions alone draw you in to what she is feeling. Congrats to her too for being given the opportunity to show everyone what she’s got as an actress.

13. the girl says:

This is super cray cray. And in a good way. I totally got what I wanted, More Santana and Mercedes spotlights. Thank you Grilled Cheesus. I am loving it.
    Now if they could find a couple more good reasons for Brittany to bust out her amazing dance skills, I would be positively giddy with, well, Glee.

14. Rebecca says:

When Glee gets it right, they are phenomenal! It is such a shame that the show has been so up and down for the last year or so, but numbers like this restore my faith that the show can someday get back on track. New Directions better watch out!

• dan says:

But you gotta admit the show is much more consistent this year than last season. It may not be season one, but the first four (or is it five?) episodes have been better than just about anything (other than Grilled Cheesus) in season two.

• Lauren says:

I don’t know… this season has not held my attention AT ALL. I feel like the storylines are all over the place, and there are just too many characters for me to care about. I agree that last season wasn’t great, but I do remember quite a few episodes that I really liked (Comeback, Blame it on the Alcohol, Duets, Furt) and some performances that I still play over and over (Unpretty/I Feel Pretty is my all-time favorite performance). This season had yet to yield any performances that I absolutely loved… until this. Hopefully this means Ryan Murphy and Co. are getting back on track. We’ll see!

15. Michelle says:

Who directed this show? It looks FANTASTIC

16. KSM says:

Glee is always at its best when they do mashups!! Love this!

17. Caiti says:

Is it bad that I like the Trouble Tones more than New Directions?

• Josh says:

I think a lot of people feel the same as you after this performance. I think everyone has gotten kinda bored with the New Directions. Mainly Rachel and Finn. The Trouble Tones are more like the underdogs and everyone loves to root for the underdogs.

• Megan says:

I will root for anything that Santana’s in! Having said that, the Trouble Tones are way better than the New Directions as their lead singers are actually the best singers in the group, unlike New Directions who’s leading man is far from the best male singer…

18. Jennie says:

AMAZING!

19. Taylor says:

This is the first must-buy song of the season for me. I can’t wait for it to show up on iTunes! Anything that features Naya is generally a win in my book, but this is just incredible.

20. GLEEFUL FAN says:

This performance is definitely comment worthy! This is one of my favorite and performances from Glee this far. I am a fan of the original songs, so I was apprehensive, but this is a stunning version. So much power and emotion behind Naya’s voice. While Glee might be uneven, at least it is still capable of giving us moments like this.

21. Joel says:

Hands down the best performance fo teh season for me thus far. Naya kills it every time!

22. ReneeSays says:

More Naya please! (could live w/less Amber-sorry). In any event, Glee may be the most inconsistent show I’ve ever watched. Some eps are so badly written and the plot winds through seasons like a drunken sailor and then some eps are classics, groundbreaking, amazingly entertaining.
    So what to do? I’m guessing booting Ryan Murphy from his own show would be the right place to start. Do you think Change.org would let us start a petition:)?

23. Wow says:

Way to go ladies! Naya and Amber sound great together as always. What’s left of the New Directions are going to have to pull out all the stops to live up to this. Whatever other issues Shelby is having this season, she can still manage to direct one heck of a show choir performance.

24. Betta says:

Amber! Amber! She’s incredible! Whatever she sings comes out beautiful and this time she was outstanding. This performance stole my heart. Personally I’m not a big fan of “RHI” and -and this is just a personal opinion based on my personal taste- wasn’t too thrilled of some parts sang by Naya… And yet those two won me complitely. Thier voices together are one of the most beautiful match ever and this is my favorite Glee musical number.

25. O'Brien says:

I predict they have to combine.

But WOW. That is one of my favorite numbers they’ve ever done. INCREDIBLE.

26. Liz says:

This is INCREDIBLE! Definitely my new favorite glee performance. Naya Rivera is amazing! I’m actually really happy they divided up New Directions, it gives her more time to shine!

27. Matt says:

Wow. Great performance. This is what I want to see from glee. Great arrangements and stellar performances.

One thing that’s always bothered me is these kids never practice routines. New Directions always look like a free form mess compared to the Warblers and Vocal Adrenaline who actually look like the practice routines. Why don’t we ever see that? Why don’t they show the struggle? Thats drama.

This looks like Shelby really worked the song and came up with a routine. Bravo.

• SC says:

Thing is, New Directions has a bunch of people who can’t dance (Finn, Puck, wheelchair-bound Artie [who would be one of the best otherwise], the soon-to-return Sam; even Rachel to an extent is poor), so they could never do a number like this.

Here they’ve plucked two of the best dancers (Brittany and Santana) and an adequate one (Mercedes), and surrounded them with a bunch of professional dancers, whch is what they do with Vocal Adrenaline.

• Lauren says:

I’d like to preface this with saying that I love Naya and Amber’s voices and I really respect Michael Slezak but what video were you people watching?!? Mercedes doesn’t dance. Not once. She never does anything more difficult than a step touch, rock back,arm raise type move in the whole thing. Not to mention that most of the time she’s a beat behind or not extending her arms as much as the other girls and they cut away from her in any shot where they are dancing something even remotely requiring coordination. She shows about as much dance ability as Finn in this video. I love the music but in this video, just like every New Directions number, it looks to me like she has a whole lot less show and more choir. She is a park and bark singer, just like she said. It’s not acceptable but it’s how it is and it certainly isn’t changing in the Troubletones.

28. Pia says:

“…will have you wondering why the heck Mercedes was forced to attend New Directions’ booty camp.”

Maybe the reason that she can dance now is because she was in the booty camp. #duh

29. lau says:

I think I have already seen it about 20 times, not kidding. In my opinion, this is the best number performed on glee. The editing is stunning.The dancing and the singing is flawless, and if you ask me, this has to be one of the best acting moments of Naya Rivera. she kills it every single episode and with this performance and her storyline I hope she gest the recognition she deserves. I might be getting to excited, but I think that if FOX and Glee producers want and do it right, Naya could at least score some nominations, because her acting is perfect. With one simple look you can see how Santana is feeling every single time.
    Heather’s dancing is amazing, and her little looks at Naya are also amazing.
    Amber’s vocals are perfect for this songs
    and also, the looks on shelby and will are interesting
    new directions got themselves some competition!

30. Denise says:

that.was.amazing.

31. Dara says:

Wow, this was wonderful. So glad to see Santana getting some spotlight, she’s very talented. Loved this mashup. Now I hope we get to hear some Quinn soon too, she is so underrated but actually has a lovely voice.

32. Paul says:

I don’t even care what song New Directions is singing. This is the best mash-up on the show ever (even better than I Feel Pretty/Unpretty), and quite possibly on of the best songs on the show ever. The Troubletones win this competition hands-down.

33. Candice says:

I haven’t watch Glee since the pilot, but after this performance, I really want to give it another try. Fantastic.

34. Craig says:

Absolutely phenomenal. Vocals are spot on, dancing is sick, and the interpretation is particularly compelling. Bonus points to Naya for acting especially well; you can really feel her fear in re: losing Brittany.

35. Summer says:

Naya Rivera is AMAZING. (So is Amber Riley, without a doubt) but omg, her piece here gave me goosebumps – in a really good way. Beautiful!

36. caitlin says:

OMFG!!!!! that was amazing!!!!!

37. cynders says:

Best I’ve seen this season – I was almost ready to give up on the show after this week’s very LAME episode, but now I’ll have to watch – if only to see this performance again…

:-)

38. Kristine says:

I’ve watched this video so many times, it’s so good! This has replaced “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” as my most favorite Glee song ever! Is there going to be a full single or is this it? I hope they do a full cover mash-up, it’s definitely worth it!

39. Cate says:

Scanning the web I’ve yet to read a negative comment about this song!! I’m not giving one either, it is fantastic! This season might have been more consistent in story, but the music has been very ordinary. Someone mentioned in the comments this is the first must-buy song of the season and I agree. 5 episodes and no truly outstanding songs. What I love about this one is that it is not just a karoake version of a popular song, it is an original arrangement. Like last year’s I Feel Pretty/Unpretty, the arrangement and blend of the songs is what makes it a stand out. Plus Naya and Amber’s singing!
    Hope this marks a turning point in the lacklustre S3 song choices.

40. Ray says:

The group was good but each singer in the group that I’ve heard before like Santana and Brittany could headline that group. There were probably others in the group who could have done so also but just haven’t been given their opportunity to shine.

41. Kat says:

What is up with Glee this year? Lea Michelle is their best singer and we’ve barely heard her this year? Naya is getting all the solos and she’s good but not great! Same for Amber! Though I did read somewhere that Naya was putting in a very intimate form of overtime with the producers and execs so maybe that explains it! I probably fast forward through half of Glee this season…it’s such a disappointment!

• Josh says:

Lea isn’t the only singer on the show, and I’m sorry, but what we’ve got from her so far this season is leagues below this number. Your insinuation that Naya is sleeping with a producer is insulting, and more than a little childish.

42. sladewilson says:

Naya and Amber killed it. Naya’s been doin da damn thang all season and Amber is always rockin’ it. They did Adele proud…

43. Christina says:

I really don’t like this. The Rumor Hast It part doesn’t have the same cheekiness and emotion, and honestly Mercedes can’t pull this song off. While Naya can hold her own with the vocals of Someone Like You, an amazing feat in itself, the beauty of the song is gone. It’s just way too busy and these songs are in no way connected in any way, shape or form. I am not going to say they are butchering Adele, but really I wish they would stop covering her songs. It’s repetitive, especially since they are only doing songs from 21, but also they aren’t doing it so well.

44. dan says:

I almost like the Troubletones more than New Directions. I’m predicting Quinn gets Shelby canned for fooling around with Puck, and the two groups are forced to recombine.

• Russ says:

Oh I didn’t think of that, but this website said Idina Menzel had a 10 to 12 episode arc.

• Volcfom says:

My guess is that Shelby uncovers Quinn’s plot as moves for the safety of her child. That, and she’ll need space from Puck after she realizes they have feelings for each other for the wrong reasons.

45. Shiloh says:

That was pretty good. I’m surprised because Adele is one of the hardest artists to cover. Very rarely do I hear someone do a cover of one of her songs and even come close to her talent. And even more surprising, Naya is better than Amber in this. Amber does a good job and she’s the one with the powerful voice so I expected her to do better, tbh. But Naya does a fantastic job on this.

• dan says:

Amber belted it out, but Naya gave more emotion to the song. It’s such a great performance on her part, by far her best.

• murley says:

i think naya was the standout too. amber has a beautiful voice but rarely has the nuance that lea and naya do. try a little tenderness was the exception but she is really more of a belter. different gift but on this song naya blew me away.

46. Net says:

WOW….chills!! nice

47. Diz says:

OMG my artistic soulmate, you’ve been listening. Thank you.

48. Christina says:

I would also just like to point out the hypocrisy of Mercedes and Santana. I wonder how many of those background girls are going to get solos. My guess is zero. So they don’t have a problem with one person being the most talented person in the group and getting the solos, they just don’t the like the fact that they aren’t the most talented singers in New Directions. They know they can’t beat Rachel, so they make their own group that they can dominate. Really hypocritical.

• Liza says:

Ahahahha, you are being ridiculos. I was waiting for this kind of comment (After reading throught tumblr and such, I knew it was coming). I get that you are bitter because your fav. characters is not getting solos (welcome to the world of those who don’t like Rachel or who’s favorite charcter is not Blane/Kurt/Finn.). But aren’t you tired of bringing up this thing: Rachel has had 2 seasons of “one person show”, and she sure will get dozen in the future, don’t worry (as much as I don’t like her voice, I have no problem admitting she is a great singer… just find it boring and flat… De gustibus non disputandum est). Now, you can ship Rachel all you want but 1) it’s pretty possible that those “singers” in the background are not singers at all but simply professional dancers. 2) Mercedes and Santana can both beat Rachel without any big effort (as much as you don’t like it, Asian F was proof of that… rachel herself was well aware of the fact that Mercedes did better then her. She said it herself. If you count Will and Jesse as “neutral judges” we have a problem… Rachel is a great singer but so are the other members of Glee Clubs. If you are bitter, well, I’m sorry, but we’ve been waiting for others to shine for 2 seasons…

• Christina says:

I don’t like Rachel, I think she is grating, but I think how the show treats her is kind of odd. I think its a hypocritical message to say that bullying Kurt is wrong because he is gay, but it is okay to bully Rachel because she is annoying.

In the end I think that Rachel is a technically a better singer. I hear it every time they have a “diva off.” Just because the character on the show admits Mercedes is better, doesn’t mean that in reality the singing of Lea isn’t better. In the end it comes down to preference on whose voice you like better, but I don’t think Santana and Mercedes are interested in sharing. I think they just want to hog the spotlight, exactly like Rachel.

And somebody is singing back-up vocals in that song, I’d like to know who they are.

Just so you know, my favorite character is Quinn, not Rachel. And actually I can’t stand Kurt or Finn. You so have me pegged! I am just an intelligent viewer that can spot hypocrisy a mile way.

• Josh says:

But wouldn’t you have to agree to some degree that Rachel brings a lot of it on herself? She pretty much is treated the way she treats others. And it’s hard to tell who has the best voice on the show. They auto-tune everyone’s voice until you can hardly recognize it.

• Michael says:

I actually don’t think they do alot of auto-tuning for the show. many of the main characters and even a few minor characters have broad way experience and you can’t auto-tune a live performance. you can lip sync yes but i find it so easy to tell when someone is doing so. Now im sure vocals on the show are pre recorded because when acting in musicals/music videos artists don’t actually sing it they just lip it so they can focus on the acting more but if you saw any concert footage of the glee cast on tour you would see that they really don’t sound that different live. these guys really are just talented.

• Christina says:

I understand that argument, but I think it is impossible to tell because it is a chicken and the egg situations. I think it could be argued that she is demanding the spotlight, because she knows that nobody likes her. If she isn’t necessary to the group vocally, then because they hate they are going to kick her out. I think that was why she was threatened by Sunni. I’m not saying that is always the thinking behind her actions. I can easily admit she is annoying as hell sometimes. But, one way or the other, I think that it still doesn’t mean that people can bully her. If people tried being her her genuine friend or being compassionate to her, I think she may calm down some. But, that’s just a theory, because the writers on the show continue to have the rest of the club be hostile to her.

• 14A says:

Hear, Hear! I’m with you on this one Christina. I was recently re-watching the first season (netflix, my golden god) and was struck by how all the other school groups they went to watch sang their songs as a group and not as a lead and some background vocalists. It all blended together which is something that the New Directions never really did.

That being said Mercedes and Santana being leads in the his new group is hypocritical to the max. What about Brittany?! When is she going to get a Troubletone solo?

• Lauren K says:

The main substance of this argument is the same that goes on all over the world. Pop culture vs. classic training. Lea Michele doesn’t sound anything like Amber because she is a trained Broadway singer. Amber is a pop singer. If they are both singing pop or R&B Amber or Naya will sound better than Lea. If they are both singing Broadway or classic style then Lea will stomp on Amber, however Naya gave an amazing account of herself in West Side Story and I HATE that musical. Lea’s voice in WSS was hauntingly beautiful and she never sounds better than when she’s doing things like I feel Pretty/Unpretty, I Dreamed a Dream or those kind of songs. I wish they’d stop trying to have Lea sing pop songs, she doesn’t know how to imbue the emotion in that style like she does in classic pieces. Jon Groff stomped on her in Rolling in the Deep and I listen to that song over and over and wish he was singing it with Naya. They have amazing on screen chemistry but she just doesn’t emote when singing that kind of music.

49. Gaby says:

Amazing performance!! Santana and Mercedes are jsut perfect together, i can’t wait to see the whole episode on tuesday!..