It's Official: Billy Crystal Returning as Oscar Host

Billy Crystal to the rescue!

The nine-time Oscar host has agreed to replace Eddie Murphy as emcee of the next Academy Awards ceremony.

“Some of the best moments of my career have happened on the Oscar stage,” said Crystal in a statement. “I am thrilled to be back there. Actually, I am doing this so that the young woman in my pharmacy will stop asking me my name when I pick up my prescriptions.”

Don Mischer, who is producing the 84th Academy Awards with Brian Grazer, said in a statement, “With Billy, we’re moving forward with one of the greatest hosts in Oscar history. His return … is, in a sense, a celebration.”

News of Crystal’s Oscar comeback comes a day after Murphy dropped out in the wake ofF-bomb dropper Brett Ratner’s resignation as the telecast’s producer. Grazer and Mischer will now oversee the ceremony, which will air Feb. 26 on ABC.

Thoughts?

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Awards, News

1. S says:

That’s not The Muppets!

• Brent says:

No surprise from a group that’s too stuffy to realize that just putting up a couple of 20-something year old actors as hosts for the spectacle will not just automatically make 20-something year olds want to watch a long, drawn out boring telecast congratulating themselves on movies that typically do not interest 20-something year olds.

2. Gitte says:

Welcome back Billy!

3. Alexandra says:

It should be good. The Muppest hosting would be a joke.

4. Brent says:

Boo! The Academy claims that they want to make the show more relevant to a younger crowd and so they hire a 63 y/o man? Oh wait! Makes total sense!

5. Valerie says:

Love this song-and-dance man. He’s been missing from our stage and screen for so long. What about Ellen?

6. Sarah says:

The question mark in the title is counteracting the “It’s Official” part. Is this real or not?

7. Katie says:

Why didn’t they just ask him in the first place??

8. Jon says:

Please, anybody but Billy Crystal!

9. kevin says:

Hope the upcoming Oscars will definitely bounce back from last year thanks to Billy Crystal. He’s deserve to be back as host but I don’t remember when was the last time we saw host the big awards ceremony.

10. Mark D says:

Cool……

11. johnnyt says:

You don’t have class if any of the movies brought to the Oscars don’t interest you.

12. Darren says:

No disrespect to Billy Crystal but me thinks they are looking back to past glories. It makes the most sense to have a comedian or humorist but does it need to be an American or Canadian. Why don’t they go for the best option be it Australian, British etc.

If they cannot draw a well known name for such a prestigious event then that says more about the Oscars as a concept of entertainment rather than the substance of awards.

Maybe I’m wrong

13. Joe says:

Crystal hasn’t been relevant for 15 years. This is going to be a disaster.

14. Louise says:

This is not Neil Patrick Harris. Sad now

15. Matt says:

25 million viewers and a 1.3 rating

16. Jane says:

Lol @matt

17. Billy says:

If 2012 happens to be the end of the world then it’s fitting that Crystal hosts the last Oscars ever

18. Tim says:

I like billy but I’m still disappointed that its not Eddie. I was looking forward to his resurgence into the adult world again after his long stay in kiddie land. Seriously how does one go from “Raw” to “Daddy day care”? Come back Eddie!

19. carrie says:

Boo!!! MUPPETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Christian says:

I like Crystal, but I think they need to some kind of combination of Steve Carell, John Stewart, and Stephen Colbert.

21. Mikaylah says:

I was hoping for NPH or Jimmy Fallon.

22. nodk says:

As a replacement- not too bad! He’s proven himself before, and He can be great!

23. scorpo says:

It is a shame that they feel they even need a host. More and more the award shows are going host-less and guess what? They are coming in under time. The Oscars should take note from the Globes who went with out a host last year.

24. Bethany says:

Why is everyone griping about Billy hosting? The 20-something’s that plan on watching the Oscars don’t care if it “relates” to them. I can tell you, as a 20-something, I would have preferred Billy Crystal host last year AND this year. The Academy Awards is supposed to be a very classy event that recognizes and awards the *best* in the business, not worrying about demographics. I thought that not only having 2 hosts was a terrible idea, having Franco and Hathaway co-host was probably the worst move the academy could have made. And I’m a fan of both of them. Billy Crystal is genuinely funny and can relate to everyone. As a 24 year old female, I think he is a brilliant choice to host… again… For the 10th time. Clearly something seems to work.

25. Ashley R. says:

Well, if Billy Crystal wasn’t a good host the first 9 times, he wouldn’t have been asked to come back for the 10th time. He has always done a great job and of course he keeps us laughing. =) ROCK ON, BC! Sucks about Eddie Murphy though..he’d have been fun, too.

26. maggie says:

It’s great to have Billy back to show them how it should be done. After the disaster last year they really needed to have someone who knows what they’re doing.

27. Girish says:

Well, I don’t know the guy. But it sucks that they cannot bring back Hugh Jackman or invite Neil Patrich Harris to host. Those two would have been great. Hugh was the best Oscar host to date.

28. kirads09 says:

Billy is probably the best Oscar host ever. Yes!