The Vampire Diaries' Joseph Morgan Previews His Mystic Falls Homecoming: 'There Will Be Blood'

It’s Homecoming season on this Thursday’s episode of The Vampire Diaries (airing at 8/7c on The CW). But while the Mystic Falls gang will be in for a treat thanks to a special appearance by My Morning Jacket, they’ll also have the unfortunate task of trying to kill the man who booked the band: The dastardly hybrid Klaus.

TVLine caught up with Klaus’ portrayer, Joseph Morgan, to chat about his adventures in party-planning, “epic” showdown with Mikael and plans for newbie hybrid Tyler.

Glee, Vampire Diaries Lead People’s Choice Noms

TVLINE | It’s been a while since we’ve seen Klaus in the present day. What has he been up to?
Obviously, something got him incredibly scared of Mikael. As we learned in the last episode, Mikael is Klaus’s stepfather, and the two of them have a long-running feud. So in terms of what Klaus has been doing, he’s been amassing some protection. He’s been getting himself ready for an inevitable confrontation with this vampire who feeds on vampires. It’ll take a lot to bring Klaus back to Mystic Falls. But if he does come back, he’s going to come fully loaded. He’s going to come ready.

TVLINE | But Klaus does come back in this week’s episode. What prompts that?
There’s a plan being concocted by some of the Mystic Falls regulars to lure Klaus back, so that they can have a crack at destroying him again. In his mind, he was always going to come back. There’s a huge, huge Homecoming party — hence the suits that everyone’s dressed in — which is actually thrown by Klaus.

TVLINE | Klaus throws the Homecoming dance?
Something goes wrong with the [original] Homecoming party, so Klaus steps in as a friend of Tyler’s. [He] throws a huge, huge party to generate more popularity for Tyler, and also because it appeals to his ego and [allows him] to play to a crowd.

Vampire Diaries Hot Shots: Klaus Crowned (Homecoming) King!

TVLINE | So he’s got a potential career as a party planner?
[Laughs] I’m not sure I would say that. If he could fit it in between ripping out hearts and breaking necks, maybe he’d plan a few weddings or something. I just know everything is decadent with Klaus. So really, if you imagine that kind of guy throwing a party, he really spares no expense. I mean, he managed to hire My Morning Jacket on very short notice. He obviously has some connections there.

TVLINE | Last week, Rebekah found out Klaus killed their mother. How is that going to affect their relationship? Is she going to turn against him?
I imagine she’s going to be pretty upset with him. It’s probably the most devastating piece of information that her character has ever received. It will definitely have some dramatic ripples and effects on Klaus. And heaven help him when someone pulls the dagger out of Elijah and he finds out.

TVLINE | Please pull that dagger out soon, by the way.
Yeah, I know. I hope they do that soon as well. I’m desperate for them to pull out the dagger. I’m telling them, “I’ll do it myself, if no one else does.”

TVLINE | How would you describe the confrontation between Klaus and Mikael in this week’s episode?
It’s a thousand years in the making, so it’s going to be huge. The whole season so far, they’ve really ramped up the action and tried to really make it more and more dramatic and epic. This episode won’t disappoint. It will be a huge, huge confrontation. There are talks aplenty. There are lots of different people getting involved. There will be blood. It’s going to go down.

The CW Schedules Tree Hill‘s Final Season and New Remodeled Series, Plus Returning Favorites

TVLINE | They are both so powerful. Is Klaus capable of killing his stepfather?
Either of them is capable of killing the other, really. I suppose it just depends on who has the greater plan and the weapon and the means to do it. They’re both incredibly hard to kill. There’s potential for it to go either way. You just never know what’s going to happen on this show.

TVLINE | Is there an emotional struggle for Klaus, too, in not wanting to kill one of his only remaining family members, even though they have a pretty contentious relationship?
Absolutely. It is possible to hate and love someone at the same time. That’s very much the relationship. Klaus was desperate for the appreciation and attention and blessing of his father. That was incredibly difficult for him growing up, feeling hated and ostracized like that, and so there’s an incredible emotional attachment to seeing his father again and having that meeting. Whatever action takes place, the emotional confrontation is infinitely more interesting.

TVLINE | Where does Tyler fit into Klaus’ hybrid race plan? And is it really all just because he’s lonely?
It’s two things. One is he’s incredibly lonely. He wants a family. He doesn’t understand that friendships aren’t built on fear, and so he’s siring this race of hybrids to be his surrogate family. The second thing is that he’s protecting himself. He’s building an army. He knows Mikael is coming. That’s why he fled at the end of Episode 5. He’s trying to put a wall of soldiers between himself and whoever wants to come and have a go. So it’s really a bit of both.

TVLINE | That does not sound good for Tyler.
[Laughs] Well, nothing is ever great for anybody who gets involved with [Klaus], is it? It’s always a bit difficult. He really doesn’t place too much value on his friends. One is as good as another, you know?

1. ollie says:

so exicted to watch this ep but it sucks we have to wait so long for new ones uhh

2. Russ says:

This episode is going to be crazy, or as TVD fans know a normal episode. But I hope that Rebecca doesn’t die, I feel like she might with the turn of events last episode.
    WHEN WILL WE FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO KATHERINE!!!!!!!!

3. Josh says:

They need to start dealing with some of these bad guys. It’s getting a bit much. Katherine, Damon, Stefan, Rebeka..all these dangeorus poeple walk around and they can’t and won’t kill them because fans think they’re “cool”.

Sometimes its better just to let the cool villains go before you’re forced to put them in some gray are and then just take out everything that made them interesting. I want Klaus to get it…I like him, I really do. But I want him gone…

• Crazydude says:

Dude are you for real? Stefan and Damon are not bad guys. Same can be argued for Katherine and Rebekah. You must not have been watching the same show.

• Josh says:

For season 1 Damon was a bad guy. And he keeps going back and forth between good guy and killer of innocents/rapist of minds(and Andie). right now Stefan is a bad guy, as you know, he’s sans human emotions(at least he WAS). Katherine is a bad guy because she’s a self serving witch who’ll kill whoever she needs to to get her way; like when she forced Tyler into killing someone or when she ripped out an innocent girl’s spine(TOTAL good guy move).

Rebeka just a few weeks ago took an innocent girl and double fed on her with Tyler, to bring him over to the dark side.

But no, seriously, they’re good people. They just like to kill innocent humans. I don’t know what show I’m watching at all!

• Brooke says:

No one’s arguing that they’re “good people.” But they’re not really the antagonists or villains, either. I don’t know how interesting the show would be if the conflicty and dark characters were just GONE, what would drive the drama? I’m glad that it’s not all black and white, and that the darker characters have likeable sides to their personality as well. It’s more fun to watch this way.

• Josh says:

No one is saying that everything needs to be black and white. Good characters can turn bad and vice versa. But to say Katherine of all people isn’t a bad guy….She’d kill Elena in a heart beat if it suited her plan or agenda. She’s a remorseless killer with no care for anyone but herself. Yeah she has a sympathetic side(her past) but that doesn’t make her any less of a villain, it just makes her a more complicated villain, which is good.

But to say “They can’t kill off the bad guys…” is false. Buffy killed off the bad guys each season, sure Dru, Angel, faith and Spike stuck around but the Master, Glory/Ben, the Mayor, Trick were all interesting too. But what made them really lasting villains and great was that they were eventually defeated. Heck you might as well throw Angelus in there because he did sort of die.

I like Klaus but this show really needs to take care of the major bad guys some because it make the good guys look ineffectual. Bonnie, Damon, Stefan, Caroline and now Tyler are all powerful. Let’s see that. Yes the villains are cool and fun to watch but sometimes it’s best to let the villain go to really make them have a lasting effect.

4. Miranda Valenti says:

Can I just say that I love, love, LOVE Klaus! He’s probably my favourite character/villain on the show right now. I honestly love him more than Damon, and way more than Elena and Katherine.

5. Q says:

Klaus totally ruined the show. For some reason, the writers feel the need to constantly force him down our throats. He’s the reason why Sara Canning was “let go” (because they needed to add him to the regular cast) and now he’s the reason why Tyler’s character development will be completely and utterly destroyed along with Tyler and Caroline’s relationship. Those two aspects were the main reason why I was watching. Where was that Romeo and Juliet storyline they were going on and on about? I’m guessing it was a big huge lie. So with those two things ruined, why should I bother to tune in when it comes back in January? Why should I continue to support a show that has betrayed me as a viewer with zero explanation?

• lorna says:

Disagreed. I miss Sara Canning, but he has taken Stefan to a new, or old, side, since Stefan was evil before. He’s sort of helped push Elena and Damon together, and Alaric is now closer to Elena and Jeremy. He’s changed everyones lives and brought in a new level of danger. Plus he is sexy as hell. Plus, I’m sure Klaus will be killed at the end of the season, and Tyler won’t feel the compulsion or whateever it is. So keep your britches on. I despise Bonnie, but I continue to watch.

6. Ava says:

This episode looks like it is going to be EPIC! I can’t watch it tonight and I know it’s going to be IMPOSSIBLE to avoid spoilers once it’s aired.

7. E says:

Klaus is THE reason that I watch this show. He has the best lines, the most potential for a complex (read: INTERESTING) character, and a subtle sort of animal appeal. Bravo to whoever dreamed him up, and bravo to Joseph Morgan.

8. 2ezz4mee says:

Joseph Morgan IS THE REASON I WATCH this show too!! I love love love love him!!! They need to keep him on, or give him his own show!