TVLine Items: Vampire Diaries Nabs Pretty Little Alum, Southland Stages 227 Reunion and More!

Vampire Diaries‘ Paul Wesley is bringing his personal life to work.

The actor’s real-life wife, Torrey DeVitto, has landed a recurring gig on the CW saga.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Pretty Little Liars/One Tree Hill alumna will play an intelligent (and beautiful!) doctor who finds herself fascinated with Matt Davis’ reluctant do-gooder, Alaric. DeVitto makes her Mystic Falls debut in Episode 10.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Southland is staging a 227 reunion with former co-stars Marla Gibbs and Regina King. Gibbs is set to appear in the Jan. 24 episode of the TNT drama playing Granny, a family member of a suspect in a murder investigation being conducted by King’s Lydia.

With Regis Philbin’s final days on Live! drawing near, the long-running ABC daytime talk show is making sure its other co-host is staying put. Kelly Ripa — who has occupied one of the show’s signature high chairs for 10 years — has signed a deal that keeps her with the syndicated gabfest through 2017.

The second season of IFC’s Portlandia (which premieres Friday, Jan. 6) will feature guest appearances by Modest Mouse’s Isaac Brock, Sex Pistols’ Steve Jones, The Smiths’ Johnny Marr, singer/songwriter Joanna Newsom, Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder and St. Vincent’s Annie Clark.

Disney Channel has renewed its animated hit Phineas and Ferb for a fourth season.

The TV Academy Foundation’s Holiday Online Auction has begun, and among the TV goodies you can bid on are True Blood premiere party tickets, a meet-and-greet with the Community cast, dinner hosted by the gang at Hell’s Kitchen and much more. A complete list of the items up for sale can be viewed via the following link.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Jake says:

This show is lame unless you are an emo teen.

• lorna says:

actually, plenty of adults watch vampire diaries, and it is critically acclaimed, so yeah. and im excited, torrey is an excellent actress.

• Michael says:

UGH! This is so annoying. The show is not an emo, teen show. WATCH IT :)

• Jake says:

I have and stopped.

• wordsmith says:

I’ll agree that it started off that way, but the show has steadily gotten WAY better over the past few seasons.

It’s still very CW, but it may be the best thing on the network right now, and it’s good tv – regardless of what channel it airs on.

• kwei94 says:

Yes, the first season was (for me) absolutely terrible, I ended up fast forwarding through about 50% o fit, the second season was bearable, there were two or three storylines interesting enough to keep me watching, but the third season! I am so impressed. It’s not amazing, but it’s certainly is getting up there! I am actually so impressed with the writers! The characters are finally developed characters, the story movies quickly, but not too quickly, and there are some FANTASTIC storylines this season so far!

I only can hope Vampire Diaries continues to improve.

• Russ says:

TVD did start off a little lame and emo, but the second Damon snapped Vicki’s neck and she turned into a vampire that all changed. I still haven’t seen a show since that has utterly shocked my like that. It was only gotten better and I love it so much.

• Kalie says:

I also had to give up on the show. It started out very boring, slowly improved and now it’s a mess. All they seem to care about is crazy twists and cliffhangers, violence and sex. There are so many plot holes. Not to mention, the actress who plays the main character is terrible.

• J says:

Weh? Obviously, you haven’t meet Katherine yet.

• Kim says:

I think people mistake disliking the character as the actress being bad. I agree with others when I say if you think the actress is bad you can’t have seen her transformation between Elena and Katherine.

• lorna says:

Nina is ok, she does do the emotional Elena scenes well, but can’t do range with Elena other than that, she does Katherine decent as well. Not the best actress but she is better than Blake Lively by far.

2. Dahlia says:

Huh, I knew they were dating but had no idea they got married. A little disappointed that she’s playing a human since she was supernaturally frightening as Nanny Carrie on One Tree Hill, but I’m glad Alaric will be getting some again…

3. kevin says:

Didn’t know Regina King was on 227 before she hit it big on SOUTHLAND. Don’t know what character she played on the hit sitcom back in the days.

4. britt says:

I couldn’t stand her on OTH. She annoyed the hell out of me with biting her lip every 5 seconds.

5. Alicia says:

Funny how TVLine regularly reports on contract negotiations/renewals, even links to external sources (if the news broke elsewhere), but has yet to make any mention about House MD’s future hanging in the balance… and being decided between Shore and Fox/Universal TV in the coming days.
    With all the House guest star “scoops” covered, one would think you’d be on top of that sort of thing…

6. fernando says:

I hope she still can stay on PLL, I love Melissa and Spencer scene they always come out to be the best.

7. Lena says:

This show isn’t lame. Nor do you have to be an emo teen to watch it. Yes it’s about vampires, but it is beautifully written, the cast is phenomenal, and it may be a little dark but it is a show about vampires for crying out loud!
    And why did you even look at this article much less say this show is lame? Why did you take the time to say that. And just because it’s not your taste doesn’t mean it’s lame. If you don’t have anything nice to say…

8. Jake says:

The last time I checked this was the US and everyone is allowed to express their opinion…

9. Danielle H says:

Did NOT know he was married; no one ever talks about that! Don’t hate on TVD, it’s amazing. Much more mature the TSC and some of their other fare.
    Also cannot believe Ripa has been on LIVE for 10 years already. Wowzers.

10. Beth Ann says:

The last time I checked Jake, nobody even uses the term “emo” anymore, and even if they did, it doesn’t describe The Vampire Diaries at all. Now SCRAM if you don’t like it and let us enjoy it!

11. Jake says:

When was the last time I used the word “SCRAM”? hmm, that’s a tough one. I have to agree with Kalie’s comment posted above…Beth Ann, I am not saying you cannot enjoy the TVD, I was just posting my opinion. I believe that is a right that I am granted as a US citizen, especially after giving 8 years to the US military. A choice I made so that you and everyone else can come on here too and post your comments and have the freedom to watch what you want to watch.