Eddie Murphy Drops Out as Oscar Host — Who Should Replace Him?

Get More: Awards, Controversy, News

It’s back to the drawing board for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Less than 24 hours after embattled F-bomb dropper Brett Ratner resigned as producer of the 2012 Oscar telecast, Eddie Murphy has dropped out as host.

“I appreciate how Eddie feels about losing his creative partner, Brett Ratner, and we all wish him well,” said Academy president Tom Sherak in a statement.

Added Murphy: “First and foremost I want to say that I completely understand and support each party’s decision with regard to a change of producers for this year’s Academy Awards ceremony. I was truly looking forward to being a part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but I’m sure that the new production team and host will do an equally great job.”

Comments (125)

• How about someone with some class…Helen Mirren.

Comment by Jake – November 9, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Conan O’brien would be a great host. I’d love Louie CK, but he would be way too r-rated for the academy.

Jimmy Kimmell and Billy Crystal would do a great job as well and Ricky Gervais would be hilarious, but he’d upset all the primadonna’s who don’t like to be poked fun of.

Comment by Chad – November 9, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I rather pick TOWER HEIST as one of the worst movies of the year but I can’t really think on who should replace Eddie Murphy to host the upcoming Oscars on February 26th.

Comment by kevin – November 9, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NPH would be legen…..dary! Or bring back the best host yet – Hugh Jackman!!!

Comment by Girish – November 9, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stephen Colbert to bring some truthiness back to the celebration of godless sodomites that is the oscars

Comment by Jess – November 9, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justin Timberlake, the guy was funny in SNL, plus he could sing dick in a box

Comment by David – November 9, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh please…you must mean Justin Trouser Snake…

Comment by Jake – November 9, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Fey and Poehler. I don’t want to watch an Oscar show that resembles Parks and 30 Rock.

Comment by Davey – November 9, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Muppets!!!

Comment by Kyle – November 9, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hugh Laurie!

Comment by Vero – November 9, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Craig Ferguson!!

Comment by susela – November 9, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Muppets. Nuff said.

Comment by Neva – November 9, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote goes for Ellen DeGeneres.

But I’ll be happy as long as it’s anybody BUT Conan O’Brien. That guy is a douche.

Comment by Courtney – November 9, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that…the muppets would be a riot.

Comment by Jake – November 9, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What the hell? Conan O’Brien is WIDELY considered to be one of the nicest people in show-business. Going out of his way for other people. Get your head out of your ass.

Comment by JohnDoe – November 9, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NPH – all the way!

Comment by Marc – November 9, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted in the poll for Billy Crystal, because I always enjoyed his Oscar telecasts. But I wouldn’t be disappointed one bit if NPH and Hugh Jackman hosted together either.

Comment by Anon – November 9, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Daniel Day-Lewis.

Comment by D – November 9, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really believe the host should be a film actor/actress, not just a TV personality. And comedic timing is essential. Therefore, I’d vote for Billy Crystal, Bruce Willis, Christopher Guest, Dan Ackroyd, Martin Short or Chevy Chase.

Comment by Templar – November 9, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch the Oscars to see who won the awards. Not to see writers stroke their egos over the jokes they wrote, or the actors delivering those lines.

Not to mention, losing the lame, often insulting jokes, would cut the Oscar time in half, something everyone agrees needs done.

So my vote is anyone but a comedien, and get back to the basics of just presenting e awards.

Comment by Joe – November 9, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris AND Billy Crystal!!!

Comment by Taryn – November 9, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Muppets!

Comment by izikavazo – November 9, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Considering that NPH and Jimmy Fallon absolutely suck and have never been funny, I’ll have to pick Jon Stewart or Billy Crystal.

Comment by JohnDoe – November 9, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HUGH JACKMAN. Best host since Billy Crystal.

Comment by LB – November 9, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tina Fey and Amy Poheler would be perfect. Would also like to see Whoopi Goldberg host again, although since Brian Grazer is on as host, why not try and get Eddie Murphy back first?

Comment by ths_smith – November 9, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about DAVE… Chapelle!!!

Comment by Peg – November 9, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stephen Colbert — he sings, he dances, he’s a great screen presence — the millennial Billy Crystal!

Comment by JW – November 9, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitley Tina Fey and Amy Poehler! Maybe with Jimmy Fallon making an appearance! That would be awesome :)
    Tina Fey said once she wouldn’t do it alone, but with Amy together? Please ask her!

Comment by Leonie1988 – November 9, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris!!!

Comment by suzi – November 9, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NPH! NPH! NPH!

Comment by silviam – November 10, 2011 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jimmy Fallon!

Comment by anna – November 10, 2011 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …ary

Comment by Amanda – November 10, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NPH!!!!

Comment by jj – November 10, 2011 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like sometimes I’m the only one who remembers Jon Stewart’s stint as Oscar host as being super awesome. Should Tina&Amy be unavailable, he is my #1 pick.

Comment by Hannah – November 10, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guys, this probably is a bit of a longshot but…what about Seth MacFarlane?

Comment by Taryn – November 10, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it should be Anne Hathaway & Hugh Jackman

Comment by Lucas – November 10, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just happen to not find him funny at all. Clearly you disagree. That’s your prerogative.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how wrong you deem it to be. It’s a little thing called “free speech”.

Comment by Courtney – November 10, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post