Eddie Murphy Drops Out as Oscar Host — Who Should Replace Him?

Get More: Awards, Controversy, News

It’s back to the drawing board for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Less than 24 hours after embattled F-bomb dropper Brett Ratner resigned as producer of the 2012 Oscar telecast, Eddie Murphy has dropped out as host.

“I appreciate how Eddie feels about losing his creative partner, Brett Ratner, and we all wish him well,” said Academy president Tom Sherak in a statement.

Added Murphy: “First and foremost I want to say that I completely understand and support each party’s decision with regard to a change of producers for this year’s Academy Awards ceremony. I was truly looking forward to being a part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but I’m sure that the new production team and host will do an equally great job.”

Comments (125)

• I think Neil Patrick Harris should be on your list.

Comment by PJL – November 9, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree!!! I’ve been saying this for 2 years now. Make it happen Academy!

Comment by Louise – November 9, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How about Joe Paterno?

Comment by pennan – November 9, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREED!!! Can we start a campaign now?

Comment by LKM – November 9, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG – YES. I voted for Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, who would be fabulous, but I would have voted for NPH if he’d been on the list. He’d be the best by far.

Comment by Cantare – November 9, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Another “other” vote for Neil Patrick Harris

Comment by John Berggren – November 9, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • omg that would be legend… wait for it…….

Comment by Amanda – November 9, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How does one go about starting a campaign (twitter or otherwise) to make this happen?

Comment by John Berggren – November 9, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TOTALLY, TOTALLY AGREE! NPH!

Comment by P – November 9, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • After seeing NPH and Hugh Jackman (who has hosted in the past) at the Tonys, I think those two together should host the Oscars. It would be AMAZING.

Comment by Anon – November 9, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Definitely NPH and Hugh Jackman as a team!!! That would be the best Oscars ever!!! (But I’d take a solo NPH as well…)

Comment by Lindsey – November 9, 2011 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Add me to the NPH list!!! I voted “other” because I didn’t like the options offered.

Comment by Luminosity – November 9, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love him too much on the Emmys. Just stay with them. Let some new blood take the Oscars gig.

Comment by BJohnson – November 9, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I’m putting forward Neil Patrick Harris as well. Bonus points if he presents as Dr. Horrible :)

Comment by Riley – November 9, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Automatic channel changer there if Neil Patrick Harris hosts.

Comment by JohnDoe – November 9, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Hugh Jackman again.

Comment by Michael – November 9, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would LOVE Jimmy Fallon. Tina and Amy would also kick ass. The academy needs some good, reliable entertainers/comedians to host.

Comment by Mel – November 9, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Melissa McCarthy….or co-host with the entire cast of Bridesmaids!

Comment by Amanda – November 9, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Anything more than 3 minutes of Kristen Wiig makes me want to put a bullet through my skull…

Comment by Lee – November 9, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Neil Patrick Harris, he has proven that he can host award shows.

Comment by Amanda – November 9, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …dary.

Comment by John Berggren – November 9, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Jimmy Fallon?

Comment by Debaloo – November 9, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was gonna be my suggestion. He was an awesomely, incredible host at last years Emmy’s (it might also have to do with my huge crush on him!)

Comment by Karen – November 9, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NPH! NPH! NPH!

Comment by lariet50 – November 9, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always thought they should ask Will Smith. He can sing, he’s funny and he’s been nominated for an Oscar.

Comment by sunny – November 9, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris for goodness sake! Or Hugh Jackman.

Comment by KT – November 9, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Louis C.K.

Comment by Alicia – November 9, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robert Downey Jr e Jude Law!!!

Comment by Ligya – November 9, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris and Ellen DeGeneres!

Comment by Jim – November 9, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You just hit the magic combination. I love when he guests on her show – those two just have an amazing chemistry.

Comment by ATLgroove – November 9, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t you think they’d make a lovely couple?

Comment by No Gaydar – November 9, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hugh Jackman AND Neil Patrick Harris. That would be awesome.

Comment by JLCOLLINS – November 9, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They waste so much time on this awards show – Why do they need a host? Just have an actor introduce some clips of the nominees and then announce the winner.

Comment by Annie – November 9, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about some of the most famous ‘B’ actors of all time host together? It could make for great comedy as they crack self-depricating jokes about their careers being the polar opposite of all the nominees.

Comment by DN – November 9, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Joel McHale, or Neil Patrick Harris? They should be on the list.

Comment by Georgina – November 9, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris!!!

Comment by Siobhan – November 9, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NPH all the way baby!!!!!

Comment by Annabelle – November 9, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tina Fey and Amy Poehler
    Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law
    Ellen DeGeneres

Comment by Mads – November 9, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler & Tina Fey or Amy Poehler & Will Arnett or Amy Poehler & Seth Meyers :)

Comment by Linda – November 9, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • REALLY!!!!!?!?!?!?! with Seth and Amy

Comment by Lime – November 9, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tina Fey and Amy Poehler hosting together would be the best award show everrr!!!! That would be awesome if they hosted together.

Comment by tinypplrock – November 9, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also vote for either Neil Patrick Harris or a return of Hugh Jackman.

Comment by Charissa – November 9, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally I don’t think the double header of Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin has been bettered.Their chemistry is incredible.

Comment by RD – November 9, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • tina fey alone!!!!

Comment by peter – November 9, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris!!!

Comment by Lada – November 9, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick and Hugh teamed together. Duh!!!

Comment by annie – November 9, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ROBERT DOWNEY JUNIOR FTW!!!

Comment by Kate – November 9, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously? No one is sick of NPH hosting stuff? I feel like in the last few years he has gone from this humble, hilarious actor to an arrogant jerk whose jokes tend to appeal to the entitled more than anyone. Awards shows are already so snobby, what a nightmare he or Hugh Jackman would be. Oh, guess what? They are going make jokes about their celebrity friends! And Broadway! And then! They might (definitely will ad nauseum) break into catchy little song and dance numbers written wholly by other people! And it will be soooo unexpected! And crazy! Nope.

Comment by kat – November 9, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second this.

Comment by jennrae – November 9, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And I think it’s a load of bullpucky.

Comment by tarc – November 10, 2011 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone said it earlier, so I’ll just remind you:

Joel McHale.

Comment by James Reardon – November 9, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris

Comment by Laurel – November 9, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NPH or Jimmy Fallon

Comment by Lizzy – November 9, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. This is the answer.

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler doing it would really suck.

Comment by Sg. Grant – November 9, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Troy and Abed. In character

Comment by John – November 9, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! Troy and Abed at the OS~CARS!

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – November 9, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I LOVE this!!! Troy and Abed at the OS-cars would be amazing… As would Joel McHale… Or any other Community combination! Although Abed hosting the Emmy’s would probably be even better… How great would that be, if Danny Pudi stayed in character the entire time and analyzed everything as Abed… Can’t imagine a better awards show!

Comment by Lindsey – November 9, 2011 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • this would actually make my year

Comment by airhead – November 10, 2011 12:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get Matt Stone and Trey Parker to run the show and hire NPH to host.

Comment by Dryden – November 9, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank gods! I am not a fan and was not looking forward to him! I’d say almost anyone is a better choice!

Comment by Samantha – November 9, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I don’t like Eddie Murphy so I wasn’t going to watch, but now I will!

Comment by Snapy – November 9, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m with the people who have suggested Neil Patrick Harris and Jimmy Fallon. Possibly the two of them together.

Comment by Emily – November 9, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris or Ricky Gervais

the best award shows of these last few years were hosted by them.

Comment by Polly – November 9, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gervais is better as a presenter; he can come out and be outrageous for three minutes and seem refreshing. But he doesn’t carry a whole show well.

Comment by susela – November 9, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tina Fey and Amy Poehler will be great….

Comment by Nasir – November 9, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy all the way!

Comment by Troyenne – November 9, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris is awesome, and I would probably tune in for a bit if he were hosting. But I’m sure there are plenty of other people who could do a good job, as well, and he did just host the Tony’s. I don’t really have much of an interest in the show itself, though, so unless the host were someone I really liked, I probably wouldn’t bother watching.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – November 9, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris or Hugh Jackman, period.

Comment by Jon – November 9, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Jimmy Fallon, Tina Fey or Amy Poehler plz. they are not funny

Comment by Taryn – November 9, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler and her hubby Will Arnett!

Comment by CCam – November 9, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ooo, yes – Jimmy Fallon!!!!

Comment by Saracen Riggins – November 9, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think dwayne Johnson should host…charming, charisma, funny, and has a ton of live hosting experience inc snl

Comment by Ham – November 9, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ellen Degeneres or Jimmy Fallon…. Oh, actually I want Rove McManus. That guy’s funny, witty and sexy.

Comment by EvaneSam – November 9, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aisha Tyler or Maria Bamford

Comment by Jake – November 9, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Hugh Jackman and bring Neil Patrick Harris to him and you have epic awesomeness – everybody who saw them at Tonys knows how great they are (together or seperately)

Comment by Ella – November 9, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Conan O’Brien. Or Larry David. If you put Wanda Sykes on there you can rule out me watching. Annooying and not funny. At all.

Comment by AJ – November 9, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would take Wanda over O’Brien any day…They need to cancel his dumb ass show..he is not even worth watching.

Comment by Jake – November 9, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jake, just about every intelligent comedian out there would disagree with you on Conan. He’s one of the funniest and nicest guys in show business. Was an SNL writer when it was funny, as well as the simpsons. There is a reason Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Louie CK, Paul Rudd, Will Ferrell, Ricky Gervais, etc. all love to work with him.

Comment by Deniro – November 9, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And that is fine. I just don’t see why everyone is so gaga over him, I don’t think he is that funny and I try to watch his show but it’s painful.

Comment by Jake – November 9, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Surely TBS is not the only channel you have? You don’t have to like it, but why wish for it to be canceled when it simply being on the air shouldn’t affect you whatsoever?

Comment by jennrae – November 9, 2011 04:29 PM PDT
        • Facts vs. Opinions my friend. I don’t find most of the people you mentioned entertaining :/
          Aside from that, I wouldn’t mind Wanda. I wouldn’t mind her as much as half the people on the list anyway

Comment by Shindig – November 11, 2011 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau, Paul Rudd and Jason Seigle, Seth Rogen, Steve Carrell, pretty much anybody from the Apatow click.

Comment by Josh – November 9, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jimmy Fallon!

Comment by Melissa – November 9, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get someone RELEVANT now. Seriously, the Academy has picked awful hosts for too long.

Comment by pv – November 9, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they try to get someone who has broad appeal, since they want the younger demographic without alienating the older people who watch every year. Whoever has been making the decision over the last couple of years has been stunningly out of touch with what’s current, particularly whoever pulled the trigger on Franco and Hathaway.

Comment by jennrae – November 9, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post