Ratings: Terra Nova Roars Big, Dixie Not Whistlin'

On a night when most every primetime show rebounded from last week’s Halloween doldrums, a particularly gripping episode of Terra Nova roared the loudest, gaining 16 percent in total audience (with 7.7 million viewers) and surging 24 percent in the coveted 18-49 demo (hitting a 2.6).

That teed up House to enjoy gains of its own, rising to 7.54 mil and a 2.7.

Alas, not every show was on the upside. The CW’s Gossip Girl (1.27 mil/0.6) was down 7 and 14 percent from its last fresh outing, while lead-out Hart of Dixie (1.4 mil/0.6) dropped 30 and 25 percent from the series highs it scored on Oct. 24. What what?

ABC’s Castle was the other show that slipped, down 10 and 7 percent from last week’s to 11.26 million viewers and a 2.5 rating.

8 pm | Dancing With the Stars was up double digits, to a best-since-premiere 18 million total viewers and 3.3 rating. CBS’ sitcombo of How I Met Your Mother (10.36 mil/4.4) and 2 Broke Girls (11.34 mil/4.5) was up 5 percent in the demo. Placing far behind Terra Nova, The Sing-Off (4.2 mil/1.4) was flat.

9 pm | Two and a Half Men, with 14.52 million viewers and a 5.1 rating, was up 4 and 9 percent, while Mike & Molly (12 mil/4.2) saw similar gains.

10 pm | Castle led in total viewers, while Hawaii Five-0 (10 mil/3.0) came away with the demo win. NBC’s Rock Center newsmag (3.5 mil/1.0) shed 15 percent of its premiere audience but held steady in the (measly) demo.

What were you watching this Monday night?

1. kevin says:

12-19-11 The date TERRA NOVA becomes DOOMSDAY TV. Watching Hawaii Five-O last night to see guest star Greg Grunberg reuniting with fellow HEROES co-star Masi Oka and that hilarious scene in the morgue and looking forward to see HART OF DIXIE last for one season tops ’cause I like Rachel Bilson post OC days but the series is going down south from here especially whether Scott Porter could joining the ranks of FNL alums that would’ve carry their own series before getting cancel just like Minka Kelly did with CHARLIE’S ANGELS and CBS comedy lineup still taking the pages of NBC comedy lineup on Thursdays formerly known as MUST SEE TV back in the days.

• George says:

I totally agree about Terra Nova. It hasn’t justified the expense. With budget Terra Nova Fox could of made three separate quality compelling dramas. Instead Fox is stuck with a contrived mess.

The only way Terra Nova will see a season 2 with a big budget cut and revamp. Where most the writer and producers are let go and put in places with less power.

• Doug-H says:

That morgue scene was great.. a real wink to the Heroes fans who might have tuned in to see GG.. He played almost the same role on H50 except an FBI guy instead of a cop but he sure acted the same.. He sure looked familiar!!! ha ha

2. Beth says:

I am really enjoying ‘Hart of Dixie’ and ‘How I Met Your Mother’ this season. I hope that ‘Hart of Dixie’ picks up in the rankings. I know that it wasn’t on for a week, and I’m hoping that maybe people just didn’t realize it would be back on after just a week away. Robin and Barney’s relationship on ‘How I Met Your Mother’ is back on the map after yesterday’s episode, so I think that will keep it up for future weeks since it was already up in the ratings after this week’s episode. I’m really excited for November sweeps! I’m really enjoying this season of TV so far. Check out tvmovielove.com for my thoughts on these and other shows.

• Lacey says:

Everyone has a right to their own opinion but I feel like you are not a true HIMYM fan if you’re happy with this season. Barney and Robin making out in the end of an episode doesn’t put them back on track and most likely means we will be tortured with more Nora and Kevin. Lily and Marshall are no longer the incredible characters they were and whine all the time. Ted’s intelligence decreases with every relationship.

3. tahina says:

I will never understand demo vs total viewrs ratings, which I know is very significant for shows get cancelled or renewed. There have been several shows however, that have been dangling forever, sorry Chuck/Fringe fans, just an example, and still there they are. What takes?

• Lisa says:

I tape all the Friday greats (Chuck, Fringe, Supernatural, Sanctuary, Ghost Adventures) and watch them over the weekend. I am still hoping Grimm gets moved to Syfy Tuesday permanently. I refuse to give up my Fringe/Supernatural time slot for Grimm.

4. Lisa says:

I really like Hart of Dixie :) Love Castle!

If viewing is down it’s because the holiday season is upon us. We got Turkey on the brain and Xmas stuff, too.

5. Samantha says:

Hart of Dixie is a show I could not get in to. Not a huge Bilson fan anyway but it was just too fake and forced.

I still like Terra Nova even though it looks really fake too (the dinos are okay, it’s the sets I’m talking about)

• Renee says:

And I like the sets, but last nights dino was not at all believeable. I actually rolled my eyes. But I enjoy Terra Nova it is light fun. I hope it gets another season.

6. Amber says:

Last night’s episode of Terra Nova was an improvement but the show still suck. That show along with “Allen Gregory” should be destroyed ASAP!! I’m starting to hate FOX.

7. fernando says:

The ratings for Hart Of Dixie were down due to it was out last week, most people just forget about it and then return next week when they know its back on, i’m sure next week it will go back up.

8. Pam says:

7.7M viewers does not sound like a lot for a show that has got to be expensive to create. However, I do enjoy the show in all its cheesy glory! I love sci-fi so I do appreciate the cheesy sci-fi, which in all honesty, is most sci-fi shows.

• davey says:

If sci-fi is done correctly the results are Fringe and Battlestar Galactica! Sci-fi should not be “cheesy”, that’s for sure!

9. Boiler says:

C’mon folks…forget about the idiotic Dancing With the Stars. Too bad about Hart of Dixie. Its a fun show to just sit back and enjoy!!

10. Liz says:

Too bad people forgot about Hart of Dixie last night. It was a really good episode with good character building for Lemon. The CW really screwed it up and murdered its momentum when it wasn’t on last week. I wouldn’t be surprise if most people skipped it last night because they thought they just be tuning in to another repeat of Ringer.

11. O says:

Oh no, Hart of Dixie is really funny and a good show!! People should tune in!!! PLEASE!! I don’t want it to get cancelled!

12. Aidan Williams says:

This is still great news for Two and a Half Men’s Ratings Episode 8 was really funny and the show story gets better and better. You Rock Chuck Lorre.

13. Anne says:

CW made a mistake on not having Hart of Dixie off last week, it was building an audience and I think that week off messed up the progress. Hopefully, it bounces back next week. I really enjoy it!

14. Alicia says:

Last night’s Castle was not my fav; Alexis needs to scram. Was so excited for her to graduate, go to Stanford, and hopefully be off the show, but now I see TPTB were just stringing viewers along.
    OF COURSE she was never going to Stanford, of course she would break up with Ashley; that way she can attend some university in NY, end up with a crazy roommate and just *have to* live at home while commuting to school. Nothing is going to change; I feel so cheated.

• nitemar says:

Agree! Castle needs to do something with Alexis. I find Martha more exciting than her granddaughter. Please send her off with Ashley or to Peru with the Job Corps! Last night started very exciting but it was rather a let down afterwards. ABC hello, November sweeps!

15. Rachel says:

I disagree with just about everyone here! I really like Terra Nova! I think the cast is awesome, and I really like how they’re answering a lot of questions already. It’s really fun to watch!

16. Amanda says:

I’m just so happy we now have two slaps left now and got to see two additional ones last night!!

17. Michelle says:

This is what happens when the CW tries to prop up Ringer at the expense of other shows. The repeat last week totally messed up Hart of Dixie’s momentum. Morons.

18. A.R. says:

I agree that the CW made a mistake by taking ‘Hart Of Dixie’ off the schedule last week. When a new series is just building momentum, a week off affects viewership – as the ratings clearly show. However, I’m hoping they won’t repeat the mistake, because I’m really enjoying the show!

I also watched ‘Castle,’ but I have to admit I didn’t enjoy last night’s episode very much. I may be alone, but I miss the interaction between Castle and his mother and daughter. If it’s all about the case all the time, or always centered on the precinct, it becomes too much like other crime shows for me.

19. Sarah says:

Hart of Dixie was getting big and CW ruined it. Hart is soooo much better than Gossip Girl

20. Patsy says:

Thanks to the posters who explained the Hawaii Five-0 morgue scene. I have never watched Heros, so I didn’t understand the scene in the morgue, now that it I do, it was very clever. H50 is my favorite show, and Terra Nova is my second, so I hope it continues to pull in viewers and is renewed.

21. Anonymous says:

Just crossing my fingers Hart of Dixie goes back up next week. So upset it started doing so good, then they had to replace it with Ringer reruns.

I don’t get it, why didn’t they show two encore episodes of Hart of Dixie last week when it was off air to gain more viewers? Instead they put Ringer in Hart of Dixie’s spot? What a joke.

22. Daniela says:

I hope The CW lets the guys over at “Gossip Girl” know that this will be the show’s last season before Christmas, so the writers can prepare for a series finale. These numbers are awful…

23. L says:

Hart of Dixie is my favorite show this season (that was a shock for me!). I hope it picks up in ratings – and that the CW will stop trying to cram Ringer down our throats at its expense.

24. LO says:

I actually enjoyed Heart of Dixie-before it was kinda boring but it’s starting to pick up which pleases me. Now if only they could get rid of GG. I keep thinking the OC all over again-call me weird or crazy but I think GG is going down a similar path. All I think is why? Anyhow, I have also say I like Ringer-not the reruns. Once is enough. I agree give Heart of Dixie more support CW!

25. Teddy B says:

Stupid question…but what happens 12-19-11?

26. Plum says:

I am loving Terra Nova, yes to mock but also because it’s just great fun and I adore Stephen Lang. When they start herding giant dinos with torches on Hawaii 5-0 I might consider watching that.

27. tami says:

I love Hart of Dixie! A fresh show with a fresh cast, written very well, I am hooked and want more!!!