As OLTL's ABC Finale Nears, Kassie DePaiva Has Endgame Wish for Todd/Blair, Laments MIA Max

Get More: Daytime TV

As One Life to Live enters its final weeks of production of episodes to air on ABC, series vet Kassie DePaiva has a firm opinion on how she’d like Blair’s love life to shape up before the sudser migrates online.

After relating how “so excited” she was when OLTL lured back Roger Howarth — affording her the chance to play out the “RogerTodd” and “TrevorTodd” story with the Daytime Emmy winner and his successor Trevor St. John — DePaiva told reporters at the set on Tuesday, “I think the best is yet to come, but I hope that Blair and Todd end up in each other’s arms for the ending [on ABC].

“That would be closure for the fans,” she explained, “and I think it would be closure for Blair and Todd.”

One possible obstacle to that happy ending: Howarth has not (yet?) inked a deal to be a part of OLTL‘s planned continuation via TheOnlineNetwork.com, as DePaiva and others have. Could the actress be counting on her longtime leading man to sign on the dotted line?

One Life to Live’s Florencia Lozano, Tuc Watkins and Two Others Join Online Venture

DePaiva explained her stance thusly. Whereas “the old Blair,” upon being presented with two Todds and the dark-and-handsome Tomas (played by Ted King), “would have completely jumped in the sack with everybody and been like, ‘Let me see which one is the best, who will offer me the most,’ this ‘new and improved’ Blair — this seasoned Blair — has started to smarten up when it comes to the men and the priorities in her life.

“That being said,” she continued, “there is an undeniable chemistry between Todd and Blair that will not go away, and history is there to prove it.” And what better irony than to have Llanview’s most Sturm und Drang couple wind up the happiest? DePaiva concurred, effusing in her native Southern twang, “Wouldn’t that be suh-weet?!”

Online Hub for All My Children and One Life to Live Gets Name, Launch Date

Turning to one of the other (of many) men from Blair’s past, DePaiva also shared her disappointment that while OLTL in its final weeks on ABC will trot out familiar faces such as Erin Torpey (ex-Jessica), Catherine Hickland (Lindsay), Fiona Hutchison (Gabrielle) and Roscoe Born (Mitch), her real-life husband did not make the cut.

“I’m really shocked that they didn’t bring Max back,” she said, barely holding back tears during what was already an emotional day of interviews. “Jim DePaiva made a huge contribution to the show, and I don’t know if it was intentional, the snubbing… but it doesn’t take [his contributions] away. Women of my generation still think he’s hot, and I’m married to him so I’m the luckiest one here!”

OLTL fans, what do you make of DePaiva backing T’n’B even though Howarth is a question mark for the show’s online continuation? Hit the comments, and don’t miss the long-running sudser’s ABC finale, slated to air in January.

Comments (54)

• If TOLN doesn’t get more cash, they can sign anyone they want but they won’t be paying anyone.

Comment by Jim – November 8, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Kassie! And, she’s totally right — Todd and Blair have undeniable chemistry, even after all these years. I hope RH continues on with Prospect Park and we can see TnB be happy (or as happy as those two screw-ups can be)! Also agree on James. This show needs Max. Are you listening, Prospect Park?

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore (and Chuck Bass) – November 8, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I “WANT” ROGER HOWARTH 2 JOIN THE ON LINE WEBISODES SOOO BAD, THAT IF HE DOESN’T I’LL B CRUSHED! HE’S STILL HOT! THE MAN’S STILL GOT IT!!!…EVEN MORE….

Comment by darleen – November 9, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Damn, I thought I saw somewhere that James was coming back for a few episodes. I want to see him again….and Cassie…you are correct…he is still hot…you lucky girl you!!! Come on OLTL actors…sign onto PP…us fans are awaiting you ALL anxiously!!! We ALL fought to keep OLTL airing…the least you can all do is appreciate all that us fans have done. Don’t disappoint all of us!!

Comment by karen – November 10, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TV Line really shouldn’t talk about the move online as though it was a done deal – because it is not. The televised finale may indeed be “it”.

Comment by Lisa – November 8, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I don’t think the online thing is ever going to happen. They jumped in way too soon without knowing the costs, etc.

Comment by Debbie Downer – November 8, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I just do not see it happening with the online thing. I have really tried to stay positive, but it will NOT happen. I hope I am wrong. There is no “new” news, so I am afraid it is the end of the show.

Comment by Nea Adkins – November 9, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If PP wasn’t going to continue on with OLTL, why would they sign so many actors? I truly believe this will happen. I can’t wait for OLTL to continue online, not just for our enjoyment, but to show ABCD what an idiotic idea it was to cancel this great show. Us fans got our show to continue, w/all the hard work we all have done since April. I’m looking forward to be able to continue viewing my favorite show for years to come!

Comment by karen – November 10, 2011 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KASSIE is SO RIGHT, she knows exactly how these characters are mean to be written and played, as does co-star Roger Howarth. Let’s just hope for a Roger signing so it can continue back to the glory days of T&B.

Comment by Kim – November 8, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The glory days of T&B ended a long time ago and should remain dead and buried. Blair needs to move on with Tomas. She and Todd are toxic.

Comment by Tony – November 9, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tomas is boring and TnB will never get old, no matter how “toxic” they are. Timeless and beautiful couple, always have been and always will be.

Comment by wtfisthisshow – November 12, 2011 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She and Tomas are BORING. Todd and Blair are a supercouple, one of the best, and should end the show together. Tomas can go choke on a scarf.

Comment by Fiona – November 23, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally agree with her on Max! He wa a huge part of the show! I was wondering why they didn’t bring him back and do not at all understand why they would bring back Gabrielle but not Max…what’s the point of even bringing back Gabrielle if Max isn’t with her?!?!

Comment by Liz – November 8, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I can’t believe they aren’t bringing Max back!! He was the only character I really wanted to see back on the show before the finale! I thought since he was married to Blair then he would for sure come back! What is OLTL doing?! I mean come on they brought back Erin Torpey but they can’t bring Max back?!

Comment by JAmandaFan – November 8, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They didn’t ask James DePavia back! Max is one of my favorites I was really hoping to see him. I love Kassie, and Todd/Blair, I do hope we get to see them happy and together!

I do hope Roger signs with PP, but not holding my breath.

Comment by raelee514 – November 8, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • p.s. Matt thanks for the interview with Kassie.

Comment by raelee514 – November 8, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was so nice seeing her today. Quite literally, as soon as she sat down, before taking a single question, she thanked us, the press, for all of our support over the years, as she got choked up and let slips many tears. Poor thing.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 8, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s a sweetheart! I hope PP’s plans work!

Comment by raelee514 – November 9, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They didn’t ask James DePavia back! Max is one of my favorites I was really hoping to see him. i can understand kassie being upset that they are not bring max back that is so disappointing i would have like to see him back on oltl i would have enjoyed it if blair and max became a couple i hope PP will sign james to come back in jan

Comment by Jill – November 8, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love to see Max and Blair back together again on PP. Thank you Prospect Point for giving us back our favorites, and allowing my favorite soap of 40 years remain alive and active!!!

Comment by Elizabeth – November 19, 2011 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The online thing IS a done deal. It starts airing online the week after the tv version. Smh

Comment by tashanelynn – November 8, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IF Prospect Park can secure ahead of time sufficient financial backing/advertisers to pay the contracts.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 8, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Even if the online version sees the light of day, I doubt it will last long. Outside of the fact that revenue streams for online content are extremely iffy, the simple truth is that the majority of the audience for soap operas remains traditional, staid, and skewing older. Very few of the people who make up the majority of the dwindling daytime drama audience will even know how to make the jump to online viewing.

Comment by CJ – November 9, 2011 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sorry CJ, but you are wrong. The actual truth is that the majority of the audience for soap operas is extremely diverse in all areas. ABC/D has found this out already in the outcry that followed the announcement of the cancellations. You are also putting down many people when you state that the majority of them will not know how to view online, how rude! I am in a chorus that 95% of the members are over 65, and they ALL use computers and the internet. Change and innovation occur: just like radio to television…it is now television to internet.

Comment by Robynne – November 9, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How beautiful is that woman? And she seems to have a wonderful soul. Too bad tho powers-that-be couldn’t leave the soaps alone. ABC will lose many viewers once OLTL is gone.

Comment by Bobby – November 8, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want to see Roger Howarth’s Todd continue on OLTL 2.0! There is so much history between Todd & Blair. He has connections with practically everyone on the canvas. I’m grateful that we’ve been treated to Roger Howarth returning to the role before OLTL ends it’s network run but I would be heartbroken if he didn’t continue in this role online. I also think it would be cool if James DePaiva’s Max showed up in Lanview–maybe a Todd/Blair/Max or Cord/Tina/Max triangle.

Comment by JoAnn Leepard – November 8, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww, love Kassie! And I am so with her on the Todd/Blair relationship! I really hope that they get those two together before the show goes off of the air!

Comment by Fates3 – November 8, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good interview, but this long time fan can do without another round of Todd & Blair; even for a finale. Um, Blair has not matured or been seasoned, the kissing test was proof.

Comment by Ashley – November 8, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I and many others will just be sick and broken-hearted if not given a happy ending for TnB. There is so much doubt as to whether this Prospect Park plan is going to work at all ever – the writers could have them be reunited, evolved and happy for the end of the network show and then have them crash and burn going into online production if the project does indeed fly and they just cannot sign Roger. If they can sign Roger, lord knows there is plenty potential for great dramady while letting them hang out in marital bliss-land, at least for a little bit. It is clear Kassie is loyal to us crazed TnB fans – I don’t know if it is a huge group or not, but I surely DO know it is an intense one that doesn’t begin to know how to give up. We NEED to see an at least temporary redemption/evolution for two such profoundly damaged screw-ups – it gives us ALL HOPE. It is very confusing that OLTL did not choose to bring back Max for the finale – he has such HUGE history with the show, and is just a fabulous and charming talent. VERY VERY ODD.

Comment by cri cri – November 8, 2011 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have enjoyed Kassie ever since her days on Guiding Light. I’m glad she will continue with the show, but as we all know (soap fans who read the blogs) PP does not have the financial backing yet. Plus, what about AMC? Two stars have signed on and it’s 2 months til Jan. No, I don’t think PP is going to save the soaps. Sad.

Comment by TimWnTX – November 8, 2011 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I better get a Todd and Blair reunion before the show ends its run on abc, or I will not be a happy camper.

Comment by ADC – November 8, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have not been a regular viewer for many years but I always paused when Blair came on the screen. Great actress and a strong female character. Too bad about James. I loved Max.

Comment by Cindi – November 8, 2011 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love that gal. I for one am hoping for the tnb happy ending and will follow them to whatever place that oltl will end up. I have waited for them to be togther for so long and I know many have. Let us have our chance to see these two happy even for a little while. Thanks KdP for all your wonderful word over the years.

Comment by debbie b – November 8, 2011 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really hoping that Max Holden would make a return to Llanview. He’s one of the characters I really wanted to see back for the ABC ending.

Comment by imasoapfan – November 8, 2011 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Max and Luna, she has to come back

Comment by Genie – November 8, 2011 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love, love, love KDP! She’s my favorite OLTL actress. It’s too bad that JDP is not coming back, Max was a very important character, and it’s odd that Gabrielle AND Luna are appearing, but not Max. Even Cord and Tina are there to nod at the past, Max being there would have been excellent.

Anyhow, I agree with KDP on the Blair/Todd thing. They are my favorite supercouple, always have been, always will be. I would love to see them back together again. They have been magical ever since their first scene together. Almost all of my all time favorite scenes involve Todd and Blair. I hope we get a payoff for that awesome couple!

Comment by wtfisthisshow – November 8, 2011 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Max was an outstanding actor, and funny too. I wasn’t happy when he left.

Comment by dee dzz – November 8, 2011 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roger Howarth, sign your contract! I am all hyped up for a continuation of Blair and Todd being together in the online version of the show.

I do wish they would have brought both Max and Luna back for the ending. It’s strange they didn’t. But at least I got my Cord/Tina reunion. Those two go back to my beginnings with the show back in the mid-80s. Yep, I’m old.

Comment by Amber – November 8, 2011 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1million percent, in agreement with Kassie.. Todd ad Blair are and always be true soulmates and since they brought Roger back to OLTL, Todd and Blair belong Together.. They and all the fans deserve to see this “superCouple” have some happiness. As for Prospect Park, they should offer Roger anything to stay with OLTL 2.0… Tomas was brought on as a short-term role and he has been signed? Hopefully PP with make some deal with Mr.Burke, President of NBC/Universal/Bravo/USA & 11 other networks and air OLTL on tv and on-line. Daytime Dramas’ (our soaps) belong on broadcast tv for all the millions of viewers to continue watching veryday. Todd and Blair forever. And Max should have been asked to come back too! ABC = A Bad Channel.
    Love Roger and Kassie, and Todd & Blair Belong in each others Arms!

Comment by Dee – November 8, 2011 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would’ve liked to have seen Max (and Luna) return, no matter how briefly. Max has history with many characters on the canvas and adds a fun, sexy vibe.
    I don’t know if I want to see Todd and Blair again, despite their chemistry, they are not good when they are together. I’m still hoping for TSJ to return and REALLY have a storyline with his brother and family.
    Hope things come together soon so The OnLine Network really will start up shortly after OLTL stops airing on ABC. Keep working Prospect Park, we are with you!
    Thanks for the interview Matt.

Comment by CTwildheart – November 9, 2011 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always loved Max. He has always been one of my favorite men on OLTL. I can’t believe they didn’t bring him back. A lot of bad casting decisions (including getting rid of Trevor St.John) in recent years has helped to bring OLTL to the place it is now at. Very unfortunate. I have watched since the beginning and for the most part think it is the best soap on TV even now. I hope it will continue online and that they will bring back MAX.

Comment by Denise – November 9, 2011 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should bring Max back. If there bringing all these other peeps from the past, then this was an important time for OLTL to bring back Max.

Being positive that the shows will be online and better than ever.

Comment by Ada – November 9, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everthing about OLTL is greatand there is such chemistry betwwen the two of themWE need both of the Manning boys on PP OLTL.Thank you for the joy Kassie.

Comment by Cindy – November 9, 2011 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that they should bring max back i think he’s also a good actor

Comment by athena – November 9, 2011 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love ya Kassie since your days on GL! They should def bring back Max–don’t get TPTB thinking on that one.

One of the Todds has to stay with the online version. How about both–would love that

Comment by Julianna – November 9, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you all really think that after asking him to come back for other things that they didn’t ask him to come back for the finale? For Heaven sake they are bringing Gabrielle, Lindsay, Troy and Luna back and we are supposed to believe that they snubbed JDP? Right. He’s not coming back but it’s not because he wasn’t asked.

Comment by Tony – November 9, 2011 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lmao, and who are you, an OLTL writer? If you’ve read ANY of JDP’s interviews, he has discussed how badly he was treated by OLTL during the end of his run. He even joked that they were paying him tons of money, but not even bothering to write anything for him to do except show up once in a blue moon. I definitely believe he’s being snubbed.

Comment by wtfisthisshow – November 12, 2011 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By reading the above comment, we all seem to ADORE Kassie DePaiva. She’s been the real heart of OLTL for the last 15 years, more than even Erika IMHO. Blair had severalintriguing romantic storylines that span the canvas: Asa, Max, Cord, Todd, Victor, Sam, Ross, Eli & Tomas. Blair has been a front burner character all these years — and Kassie’s never left the show. Todd & Blair are one of OLTL’s greatest all-time supercouples. In addition, we’ve watched Blair’s daughter Starr grow up before our eyes.

OLTL has been an amazing show these last month. Great writing. Great acting. Great respect for history. This leads to the strongest possible situation to venture online.

With Kassie on board, I think it will do well. Having said that, I must say I’m holding out for Roger Howarth. He and Kassie were like GH’s Sonny & Brenda. Everyone is glued to their screens when these 2 are on. Also, all the Todd & Blair back and froths with Trevor St. John doesn’t count now that “Read Todd” is back. Yes, even they were married 3 times, but I love that the New Blair and New Todd are same enough, but different enough, too. I don’t feel either characters would act the same way as before. 8 years is a long time, especially in soap time! Todd, especially, is different.

So my comment is mostly that (1) I’m hopeful for the online incarnation of OLTL and (2) that Roger and Kassie need to work their magic in OLTL 2.0!

Comment by katherine – November 10, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS REMINDS ME OF THE TEN COMANDMENTS,,,NAY SAYERS. TRUST PP INC. THEY ARE NOT SOME GROUP OF IDIOTS. THEY HAVE BEEN IN THIS BUSINESS FOR YEARS. THEY KNOW WHAT TO DO AND HOW TO DO IT! I TRUST THEM 100% AND AS A FAN, I WANT TO BE A PARTNER. WE SHOULD BE PAYING IN ORDER TO WATCH SO THAT THEY HAVE THE $$ NEEDED TO GET OUR SOAPS ON THE WEB. GIVE THEM THE CREDIT THAT THEY DESERVE! THEY ARE TRYING! I WOULD BE HAPPY TO PAY A FEE TO HELP THEM WITH THE COSTS. THANK YOU PP INC. REMEMBER FOLKS…. ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY!

Comment by Robin – November 14, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kassie and Roger, as Todd & Blair, are and will always be pure magic.
    Blair & Todd are a super star couple. We the fans are wishing for a happy ever after.

Comment by Vee Cameron, – November 19, 2011 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not only am I disappointed Max isn’t coming back but I’m confused. Gabrielle and Luna are appearing & they’re dead. So, who are they appearing to?

Comment by rehanna – November 21, 2011 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kassie i want to see oltl go forward i hope donald trump steps ups to save are soaps your loyal fan i hope they don’t drop oltl too i would be heartbroken we love you and james and oltl

Comment by Jill – November 23, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should bring back Max Holden, he was an important part of this show. I liked Trevor St. John in the role of Todd. He is such a believable actor, so naturel. Trevor is so handsome, Roger Howarth is just plain ugly.Ted King is also really sexy. I thought General Hospital made a big mistake in letting him get away.

Comment by Dolores – December 2, 2011 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Max should definitely been brought back! Why did they ever let him leave?I hope Prospect Park makes all the fans happy and shares in their dreams. Hopefully, it will also come with great financial success for Prospect Park! One Life To Live hopefully lives on- and On….

Comment by Paula Staab – December 5, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post