Once Upon a Time Scoop: Lost Grad Emilie de Ravin Brings Belle to Life

Emilie de Ravin is bringing a whole lot of beauty to the already gorgeous Once Upon a Time.

The Lost alumna has been cast on ABC’s fantastical freshman drama, playing the fairy tale world’s illustrious beast lover, Belle, TVGuide.com reports.

Details surrounding the role are being kept hush-hush, but Belle will appear opposite her burly suitor Gaston, and the two are said to have ties to Robert Carlyle’s skeezy Rumplestiltskin. De Ravin’s Once debut is slated to air in early 2012.

De Ravin — who played single mom-turned-feral island dweller Claire Littleton on Lost — has remained fairly quiet on the acting front since completing production on the ABC drama back in 2010, appearing only in a pair of indie flicks and the big-screen romantic drama, Remember Me.

Excited to see her back on ABC? Sound off below!

Comments (51)

• Wow, no way!!! Can’t wait for this!!!

Comment by Sharon – November 8, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erm, no.

She could dye her hair or wear a wig and she still wouldn’t embody the hardiness and compassion that is Belle

Comment by fansworth – November 8, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She does actually, perfectly.

Comment by Emily – July 6, 2013 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it!

Comment by A – November 8, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She would’ve been more appropriate as Aurora, in my opinion.

Comment by Anna – November 8, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor casting decision

Comment by Ant – November 8, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great! Belle is one of my favorite fairy tale characters and I’m sure this great show will do her justice.

Comment by Ashley – November 8, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Belle is NOT a blonde!!!! She’s a doe-eyed brunette! She better be dying her hair or wearing a wig!

Comment by Shari – November 8, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love her!!! Can’t wait.

Comment by Denise – November 8, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • EMILIE IS AMAZING!! I CAN’T WAIT FOR THIS!

Comment by Teresa – November 8, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sticking it out in that town must be hell for Belle. Of them all she knows their must be more than this provincial life.

Comment by ultimate troll – November 8, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this made me laugh. and got that song stuck in my head.

Comment by murley – November 8, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Emily and love the idea of her being one of the princesses … just not Belle. Totally wrong casting choice.

Comment by mallen12 – November 8, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s a great actress I just don’t know if she’s right for the part of Belle. I agree she’d be better as Aurora. However, you never know why they picked her. Maybe they’ll put her in a brown wig and she’ll be awesome in the part and completely blow our minds.

Comment by Stephanie – November 8, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love when people hate casting choice simply because of hair color…

Comment by Samantha – November 8, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is brilliantly cast–but I’ll admit I had some doubts with Jennifer Morrison but look how that turned out. I don’t really see her as Belle, but let’s see what they do with her.
    If they can transform Jennifer Morrison into a believable child of two fairytales, I’m sure they can do something with Emilie. We just have to wait and see.

Comment by Amber Naomi – November 8, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope she dies her hair. :/
    I’m not sure how I like this casting. Belle is my favorite princess an Emilie just doesn’t feel like the right fit to me. Maybe she’ll surprise me.

Comment by Gabby – November 8, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes, the disney version of beauty and the beast has a brunette belle but in fairy tales beauty is often depicted as a blond. most, if not all, versions of the story never specify her hair color at all. in fables, the comic this is undoubtedly inspired by, beauty is blond. i am excited to see emily on tv again.

Comment by murley – November 8, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe, but the most known version is the brunette Disney character. I just can’t see Emilie as Belle, and not because she is blonde.

Comment by krista – November 8, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The show is set in the modern day. Hair dye exists right?

Comment by Jason – November 8, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love it!

She was made to be Belle, now the question is : Who was the Beast? Because my money is on the Sheriff.

Comment by Guess – November 8, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No! Sherrif has to end up with Emma- if only because they keep meeting when he arrests her and I think that’s fun.

Comment by Alice – November 8, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously? I hope you “die” ur brains…

Comment by Beast – November 8, 2011 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like this casting. Emily is a great actress, but she is not the right person to play Belle. Someone like Regan would have been a better choice. As Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney tale I was really looking forward to seeing Once’s take on it, now I’m a little less eager…

Comment by Claire – November 8, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i can’t stand the kid on this show–he’s a horrible actor and ruins the show for me.

Comment by Tim – November 8, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree completely. He really needs to go.

Comment by matt – November 8, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! It’s not just him, most kid actors are terrible. They haven’t learned the difference between saying a line and acting.

Comment by Jamie – November 8, 2011 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she could be cinderella or sleeping beaut..but bell is a brown eyed brunette! they have to at least put a wig on her to make it look believable!

Comment by anna – November 8, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!! I love her! I get really excited when LOST actors end up back on my screen, and am especially excited that it’s happening on a show I really enjoy!

Comment by Matt – November 8, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And of course she’s showing up on a show created by a couple of LOST writers, which I’m sure didn’t hurt in helping her get cast. I’m with you though. Any chance to see some of the LOST cast back up on the screen is a good time. Looking forward to Alcatraz (another JJ Abrams production) at mid-season with Jorge!

Comment by Mike – November 9, 2011 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hopefully she will bring her babahh and charrrlah.

Comment by zoey – November 8, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m OK with it. It’s just too bad they can’t bring back Lenny to play Lumiere!

Comment by Kartoff – November 8, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like a good choice to me, whether she dyes her hair or not. Emilie is a good actress.

Comment by Justin – November 8, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get all this ranting about her hair color. “Once” is based on fairy tales, not Disney movies. There’s no reason Belle has to be brunette. The story only specifies that she’s beautiful, and judging by her name, French. Emilie is certainly beautiful, and if de Ravin is her real last name, she’s of French ancestry, too. I think she’ll fit the bill nicely.

Comment by Ace – November 8, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, Once has a very big Disney streak as ABC is owned by Disney. Jiminy Cricket was just ‘The Cricket’ in the original story, he’s Jiminy in Once. He has a pet dalmation which I think we’re meant to take as pongo. The dwarves have their Disney names. Maleficent not only had her disney name but a costume with a nod to the disney version. We are told Gaston is showing up in this, another Disney invention based on the tale’s handsome suitor.

Comment by fansworth – November 9, 2011 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know she was cute on Lost but every time I see her I think of what a Grade-A bitch she was on Roswell. Can’t like her.

Comment by Captain – November 8, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This made me SO happy :D My favourite actress will be on TV again :’)

Comment by Domilie4ever – November 9, 2011 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Belle? Why not Jasmine then?
    Belle is beautiful but simple she’s not Peter Pan’s fairy. The most famous Belle(s) are brunette (top is the disney one that is the version with villain Gaston)
    Emilie’s fans are so biased! I bet that you would even change Snow White kind of beauty if Emilie was chosen for that role. She isn’t that great of an actress.

Comment by Poly – November 9, 2011 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with the person who said she would make a good Aurora.. I don’t know what the show has in store for Belle (and…. what?!? Gaston??? I hope whoever gets casted for this sings the Gaston song from the movie hehe! But he’s not Belle’s «suitor»!) but I just hope they know what they’re doing with my favorite Disney Princess…

Comment by Julie – November 9, 2011 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shut up! that’s too cool. Love how they are linking all of the characters together… I wonder if they’ll have Middle Eastern tourists named Aladdin and Jasmine check in… ha.

Comment by Justin K – November 9, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God people, it’s not freaking Disney, it’s does not say anywhere in the fairytale that Belle got brown hair. Get over it. Are you 3 ?

Comment by Arianne Martell – November 9, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • belle is NOT a brunette. the original is a blonde, i don’t know why some of you people are only stuck on one belle from the animated movie. emilie’s facial features are perfect, and she looks like a princess already, so i think she’ll do this role justice. some of you are morons for judging without watching first. open your mind people. just a little.

Comment by mack – November 9, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Calm the hell down. People had stated the reasons of why they don’t like this casting choice and they may be right.
      Belle is not blonde. She was blond in some movies that no one watched and cares about and she may be blond TOO in some illustrations but the most famous Belle(s) are brunette like in the disney version and the ones from Broadway. So no wonder why people picture her like that! The ABC is owned by disney it’s just obvious that they’re gonna use the disney version (with brunette Belle) as a reference (since they own that version!) thus using Gaston’s character that is from the disney version only.
      But it isn’t only the hair color. Emilie is a mediocre actress that they recycled from lost. She’s totally overrated.
      People want to see someone new. It just doesn’t make sense to cast Emilie if they’re gonna put an ugly wig on her to make her a brunette.

Comment by Danae – November 12, 2011 04:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wake up people! beauty and the beast, “la belle et la bete” was NOT written by walt disney… it’s pretty sad when half the population gets their education from movies…

Comment by fifiwereking – November 9, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s sad to read how brainwashed some people are by the Disney Movies.

Comment by Kitty – November 10, 2011 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nooo!! she is not right for belle at all!

Comment by carrie – November 10, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Belle is a princess! Princesses each have an aspect that makes them deserve the title, such as kindness, love, et cetera.

Comment by Jiminy Cricket – November 11, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see Claire back on the scene!

Comment by mori – November 13, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see Claire back on the scene! But as a brunette?

Comment by mori – November 13, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think casting her as Belle is a HORRIBLE idea. She is very talented, but she is not Belle. I love this character so much and I’m so disappointed. She would be much better as a different character. Love her talent, hate the choice.

Comment by Anon – November 27, 2011 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So… basically, I want everyone who ever said casting Emilie was a bad decision last November to go back and watch her freaking acting in that episode. She’s amazing as that character.
    And I’m also going to throw it in all your faces because she’s now a regular.
    Ha.