Starz Renews Spartacus For Third Season

Get More: News, Renewals, Scoop

Starz must be feeling pretty confident about Spartacus‘ second season (not to mention new leading man Liam McIntyre): The network has greenlit a third season more than two months before the premiere of Season 2.

“The executives at Starz have been extremely supportive in giving us creative freedom and allowing us to tell the story in a rich, yet bold way that leaves an indelible mark on its fans,” notes exec producer Steven S. DeKnight.

Production on the as-yet-untiled third season will begin in early 2012. Meanwhile, Season 2 — titled Spartacus: Vengeance — bows Friday, Jan. 27 at 10/9c with McIntyre succeeding the late Andy Whitfield in the title role.

“There is no denying the impact Spartacus has had in the marketplace with fans across the globe thirsting for the continuation of the epic tale,” said Starz’ managing director Carmi Zlotnik. “Vengeance brings unparalleled action and drama to Starz viewers in January. We are thrilled to come to an early agreement that allows the writers and talent to get right back to work in preparing for season three.”

Press play below to see why Starz is so fired up for Vengeance.

Loading video...

Tags: ,

Comments (25)

• This is awesome news. I loved the first season and the prequel season. I can’t wait to see where it goes from there. Thank you Steven DeKnight!!

Comment by William Butler – November 7, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wouldn’t it be a fourth season? Vengeance might as well count as the third season since it follows Gods of the Arena.

Comment by Michael Sacal – November 7, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Vengeance follows Blood and Sand. Blood and Sand, though it aired first, is preceded by Gods of the Arena. GotA is basically Season 0, as a small prequel mini-series that was borne from trying to give Andy Whitfield time to recover

Comment by xav – November 7, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve put towels around my tv in readiness for the new season, cos each time I watch an ep the screen literally oozes testosterone. (great news about the “next season will be so awesome we’ve already greenlit the one after” thing).

Comment by Fido – November 7, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • didn’t they also renew before season 1 even aired?

Comment by DUH – November 7, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m confused … how is the upcoming called “Season 2″?

Comment by Kristin – November 7, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It comes after Season 1

Comment by xav – November 7, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Spartacus: Gods of the Arena” was a prequel and technically *not* the second season.

Comment by Zoe – November 7, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will forever miss Andy in the role and on this earth as the wonderful man that he was but I know he wanted the show to continue and for that I will be watching. I’m sure Steve S can take the show to even higher levels writing wise and I’m excited for s2.

It goes like this for those wondering:
    Gods of the Arena: Prequel to season 1
    Blood and Sand: Season 1
    Vengeance: Season 2
    Untitled: Season 3

Comment by Isabelle – November 7, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s really not that confusing.

Comment by xav – November 7, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • For some it seems to be, no harm in posting the order

Comment by Isabelle – November 7, 2011 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also agree that I think of this upcoming season as season for so I take this renewal to mean season 4. It is confusing to people. I know they consider the previous season to be a “mini-series” but whether it’s 6 episodes of 13 I just think of it as another season.

Comment by Chad – November 7, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m psyched to hear that this great series will continue. I saw Lucy Lawless pimping the upcoming season not too long ago. Is she in it? I thought she died at the end of Season 1.

Comment by Adam – November 7, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the trailer for season 2 they show what happened to her and what to expect in the new season. She is alive.

Comment by Isabelle – November 7, 2011 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lucy hinted that it wasn’t fatal. Don’t believe she’ll be having any children ever, though.

Comment by Donna – November 7, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! I love that Starz is being so supportive of their prrogramming. By renewing their shows so soon it gives the viewer faith and encourages viewers to watch, knowing they won’t have the show cancelled on them. More networks should do this, it would most likely result in increased viewership.

Comment by pv – November 8, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna be watching this with a heavy heart.
    RIP Andy Whitfield :(

Comment by tarryn – November 8, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s going to be hard for me to watch it, I loved the 1st. season mostly because of the great job Andy did, so I don’t know, the story and the whole cast are amazing too, but I just can’t see this guy as Spartacus, not yet, I guess it’s too soon for me.

Comment by Jazmin – November 8, 2011 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spartacus Vengeance is Season 3 the poster needs to get his facts right. Season 1 was Blood & Sand, Season 2 was Gods of the Arena and Season 3 is Vengeance. Is there going to be a season 4? The way season 3 is climaxing I don’t think there will be?

Comment by UK Fan – March 25, 2012 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No…..Gods of the Arena was a prequel to the first season. So it doesn’t count in the series as a season.

I’m glad to read that a season 3 is official.

After series finale of Spartacus, Starz should begin a series about Hannibal!!!

“Hannibal, son of Hamilcar Barca[n 1] (247 – 183/182 BC)[n 2] was a Punic Carthaginian military commander and tactician. He is generally considered one of the greatest military commanders in history. His father, Hamilcar Barca, was the leading Carthaginian commander during the First Punic War, his younger brothers were Mago and Hasdrubal, and he was brother-in-law to Hasdrubal the Fair.”

I hope see this on Starz in January 2014 or 15!

Comment by Steve – March 25, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there anybody who tells me when the third season will come ? I can`t wait to watch the thirds season…..I would appreciate if you could share your news with me…

Comment by somayeh – April 8, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Little bit confused – can anyone help? I watched the 2nd series first (I know!!), but I am now watchig the first series. Sparatacus wife has just turned up at dominus house and has been attacked on the road and has died, but in series 2 she died in the cave!! Am I wrong? Please can someone clarify??????

Comment by sandra mcallister – May 16, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WIll there be another season after Vengeance?

Comment by K.Sulev – May 28, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post