Starz Renews Spartacus For Third Season

Starz must be feeling pretty confident about Spartacus‘ second season (not to mention new leading man Liam McIntyre): The network has greenlit a third season more than two months before the premiere of Season 2.

“The executives at Starz have been extremely supportive in giving us creative freedom and allowing us to tell the story in a rich, yet bold way that leaves an indelible mark on its fans,” notes exec producer Steven S. DeKnight.

Production on the as-yet-untiled third season will begin in early 2012. Meanwhile, Season 2 — titled Spartacus: Vengeance — bows Friday, Jan. 27 at 10/9c with McIntyre succeeding the late Andy Whitfield in the title role.

“There is no denying the impact Spartacus has had in the marketplace with fans across the globe thirsting for the continuation of the epic tale,” said Starz’ managing director Carmi Zlotnik. “Vengeance brings unparalleled action and drama to Starz viewers in January. We are thrilled to come to an early agreement that allows the writers and talent to get right back to work in preparing for season three.”

Press play below to see why Starz is so fired up for Vengeance.

Loading video...
TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Renewals, Scoop

1. This is awesome news. I loved the first season and the prequel season. I can’t wait to see where it goes from there. Thank you Steven DeKnight!!

2. Michael Sacal says:

Wouldn’t it be a fourth season? Vengeance might as well count as the third season since it follows Gods of the Arena.

• xav says:

Vengeance follows Blood and Sand. Blood and Sand, though it aired first, is preceded by Gods of the Arena. GotA is basically Season 0, as a small prequel mini-series that was borne from trying to give Andy Whitfield time to recover

3. Fido says:

I’ve put towels around my tv in readiness for the new season, cos each time I watch an ep the screen literally oozes testosterone. (great news about the “next season will be so awesome we’ve already greenlit the one after” thing).

4. DUH says:

didn’t they also renew before season 1 even aired?

5. Kristin says:

I’m confused … how is the upcoming called “Season 2″?

6. Isabelle says:

I will forever miss Andy in the role and on this earth as the wonderful man that he was but I know he wanted the show to continue and for that I will be watching. I’m sure Steve S can take the show to even higher levels writing wise and I’m excited for s2.

It goes like this for those wondering:
    Gods of the Arena: Prequel to season 1
    Blood and Sand: Season 1
    Vengeance: Season 2
    Untitled: Season 3

7. Chad says:

I also agree that I think of this upcoming season as season for so I take this renewal to mean season 4. It is confusing to people. I know they consider the previous season to be a “mini-series” but whether it’s 6 episodes of 13 I just think of it as another season.

8. Adam says:

I’m psyched to hear that this great series will continue. I saw Lucy Lawless pimping the upcoming season not too long ago. Is she in it? I thought she died at the end of Season 1.

9. Donna says:

Lucy hinted that it wasn’t fatal. Don’t believe she’ll be having any children ever, though.

10. pv says:

Awesome! I love that Starz is being so supportive of their prrogramming. By renewing their shows so soon it gives the viewer faith and encourages viewers to watch, knowing they won’t have the show cancelled on them. More networks should do this, it would most likely result in increased viewership.

11. tarryn says:

I’m gonna be watching this with a heavy heart.
    RIP Andy Whitfield :(

12. Jazmin says:

It’s going to be hard for me to watch it, I loved the 1st. season mostly because of the great job Andy did, so I don’t know, the story and the whole cast are amazing too, but I just can’t see this guy as Spartacus, not yet, I guess it’s too soon for me.

13. UK Fan says:

Spartacus Vengeance is Season 3 the poster needs to get his facts right. Season 1 was Blood & Sand, Season 2 was Gods of the Arena and Season 3 is Vengeance. Is there going to be a season 4? The way season 3 is climaxing I don’t think there will be?

14. Steve says:

No…..Gods of the Arena was a prequel to the first season. So it doesn’t count in the series as a season.

I’m glad to read that a season 3 is official.

After series finale of Spartacus, Starz should begin a series about Hannibal!!!

“Hannibal, son of Hamilcar Barca[n 1] (247 – 183/182 BC)[n 2] was a Punic Carthaginian military commander and tactician. He is generally considered one of the greatest military commanders in history. His father, Hamilcar Barca, was the leading Carthaginian commander during the First Punic War, his younger brothers were Mago and Hasdrubal, and he was brother-in-law to Hasdrubal the Fair.”

I hope see this on Starz in January 2014 or 15!

15. somayeh says:

Is there anybody who tells me when the third season will come ? I can`t wait to watch the thirds season…..I would appreciate if you could share your news with me…

16. sandra mcallister says:

Little bit confused – can anyone help? I watched the 2nd series first (I know!!), but I am now watchig the first series. Sparatacus wife has just turned up at dominus house and has been attacked on the road and has died, but in series 2 she died in the cave!! Am I wrong? Please can someone clarify??????

17. K.Sulev says:

WIll there be another season after Vengeance?