FX Extends Sons of Anarchy's Fourth Season

FX is extending Sons of Anarchy‘s ratings-rich fourth season by adding a 14th episode.

“Creatively, this has been Sons’ best and biggest season ever,” FX executive vice president Nick Grad said in making the announcement. “[Series creator] Kurt [Sutter] asked us to consider adding an extra episode to fully close this current chapter of the Sons saga. By adding the extra episode, it wraps up a magnificent season in extraordinary fashion. This is a real bonus for fans of the series.”

FX — which last month renewed the gritty drama for a fifth season — will now air Sons‘ Season 4 finale on Tuesday, Dec. 6 at 10/9c.

Sons of Anarchy‘s Theo Rossi Details SAMCRO’s ‘Murky’ Future

The news comes as a bit of a surprise given that just last week Sutter tweet-vented that though the season-ender contains what he called three episodes’ worth of story, the network was unable to accommodate “a 2-hour finale” or “extend our season [because] programming [is] already set.” Guess SAMCRO came out on top again.

Thoughts on Sons of Anarchy‘s extended season? Hit the comments!

Comments (47)

• this just totally made my day – I LOVE SONS OF ANARCHY!!!

Comment by Catherine – November 7, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for the @tweet today. This is such a great show. Writing, characters and the conflict of the bad guys are the good guys? Love it. Great site, I will be following you. ~Access TV Online

Comment by Access TV Online – November 8, 2011 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is the best tv show ever!!! Jax couldnt get any HOTTER!!!

Comment by heidi – November 9, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS IS THE BEST CANT WAIT TILL TUESDAYS AND SEASON FIVE COULDNT BE SOONER

Comment by DAVE – November 16, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Clay’s death no doubt

Comment by Chalice – November 7, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just hoping Tara makes it out alive in tomorrow’s night ep. Anyone want to make a guess on the over/under?

Comment by alr – November 7, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She has to die. It’s the event that will set Jax in motion to take out Clay.

Comment by AJ – November 7, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tara doesn’t have to die for Clay to be in deep doo..Opie may find out what really went down with his dad and then it will all hit the fan. personally, I think clay should live, but be REALLY in a bad way. We kinda need Ron Perlmans nasty little self on the show.

Comment by molly – November 9, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yea plus her dying is like the only way jax would stay in charming for the 5th season i also having a feeling opie is gonna find out clay killed his dad and something is gonna go down with that

Comment by Joe McD – November 15, 2011 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If she doesn’t die it would be ‘jumping the shark’. Getting kidnapped by the Cartel and then miraculously surviving and be okay? I don’t think so. Also, she has been getting on my nerves lately.

Comment by V – November 7, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Getting on your nerves? Why? Because she’s the only one trying to make any attempt at rational thinking? My God! Her and her kids are going to end up paying for greedy Clay… And I will be so sad because her character is the basically the eyes of the viewer. She’s the “normal” one attempting to navigate this crazy biker world.

Comment by Rae – November 7, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Her and her kids”? REALLY?

Miss a few days of English class back in school, did ya?

Comment by Sam – November 7, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She isnt Abels mom

Comment by Jeff – November 7, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She IS Abel’s mother! Giving birth does not make you a mother any more than donating sperm makes you a father.

Comment by boyohboy – November 7, 2011 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i think that tara should get gangbanged by the whole chapter starting with clay…and gemma eating her out while jax does his mom in the butt

Comment by chinoloco – December 19, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t think the show deserved an emmy last year even though Sutter made his feelings known. Sure a nomination as in order. But this year, it should not only be nominated but also win. I am a huge breaking bad fan but this season of Sons has been every bit as good, if not better.

Comment by AJ – November 7, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey I will happily take more SoA! And if it’s needed to give this season a strong finish when it’s been so great so far, all the better.

Comment by Tee – November 7, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is so much going on we really needed this. Tara doesnt have to die, I dont know where Kurt is going with it, but she doesnt have to die for Jax to wan to kill Clay, he just has to find the letters and find out Clay put the hit out on Tara, that will send him over the edge.
    Also Tara is annoying me for the simple reason she should’ve told Jax and not worried it she’d lose him. If she wouldnt told him from the start it wouldve made him closer to her not the club now when he does find out she lies about something so big he’ll feel betrayed and then thats why he’ll get closer to the club and try to fix it.
    I hate that everyone is lying to him.

Comment by Isabelle – November 7, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • best news ever!!!!! Sons needs more than 13 episodes ever year!!! best show on tv by far

Comment by mama kris – November 7, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tara doesn’t have to die but I wouldn’t be sad to see her go. I don’t think we are going to have to worry about Jax killing Clay, as soon as Opie figures out that he killed his father after killing his wife, he will do it. I do think that if Opie doesn’t kill Clay that Jax will and will also want nothing to do with Gemma because he is gonna know that she is just as responsible for everything as Clay is. I love Ron Pearlman and he is doing such an amazing job as Clay but I can’t say as I’ll miss him if they do kill him because Clay is plain EVIL.

Comment by Raechel – November 7, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tara’s taking the babysitter with her. Pretty sure someone’s gonna be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Comment by Dave – November 7, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • who is making book on the babysitter biting it instead of Tara?

Comment by molly – November 9, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Clay will not be killed by anyone he is the show, without him it is just pretty boy Jax…..

Comment by ChangoKid – November 7, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want to agree with you, but at the same time, I just don’t see how Clay manages to get out of this season alive. He’s killed Opie’s wife and father, Jax’s father, put a hit on Jax’s old lady, and now he’s betraying the trust of Gemma. Throughout the season the only people on his side have been Gemma, Jax,and Tig. Now they’re all gonna turn on him. Everyone else is either dead, 100% against him, or in the case of Juice, in his own world. It’s him versus the club now, I can’t see how he outlasts this.

Comment by Julie – November 7, 2011 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Clay gets out alive by getting busted at the Irish deal and making new friends in jail.

Comment by Joe – November 22, 2011 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SOA is based on Hamlet. Tara/Ophelia dies in the act four/scene seven. All the other key characters, including Jemma/Queen Gertrude, Clay/the King, and Hamlet/Jax, die in Act Five. . . The letters are the ghost of King Hamlet.

See here:

Unless FX wants to draw out the series due to ratings, Tara should die soon.

This is one of the best shows that has ever been on television, and I wonder if it could maintain its excellence if they drew it out because people like it. I would much prefer that they let the story maintain its integrity and have events happen when they seem most important for the story.

Comment by Christine – November 7, 2011 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @christine The first season of SOA was ‘based’ on Hamlet. Ophelia was was Wendy not Tara. This has been stated multiple times by Kurt Sutter…….that article is from 2008.

While it may have similar themes to Hamlet, it is in no way following the same storyline.

Comment by Suzanne – November 7, 2011 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i know for a fact that if clay dies (even if he sends the out the hit) then the show will lose interst, on the other hand someone has to die in this epic saga (i pay it is not juice).
    i reckon the Sons, laroy’s one 9ers and alverez’ mayans will team up to destroy the cartel.
    man i love this show.

Comment by eddie – November 8, 2011 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tonights episode was by far, the best episode yet!! It easily could have been the season 4 finale!!!!!!!! Kurt Sutter is an amazing talent! And to think we have 4 episodes to go!! Great show, great show!! Thank you Mr. Sutter!!!!

Comment by bosco – November 8, 2011 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night was awesome! Tara didn’t get killed but it sounds like Clay may not survive the season or so they want us to think. I can’t wait to see how or IF Clay manages to get out of all this he’s done that’s just piling up…..killing Opie’s wife, Piney, the hit on Tara & then beating the crap outta Gemma can’t forget he some how was involed in Jax dad’s death. Tara’s the only one affiliated with the club that doesn’t agree with them……she’s a wild card with the info she has & I think after getting hurt she’s gonna go a lil evil. I truly don’t think it’ll be Clay either…..I think it may be Juice or dear old police cheif!

Comment by MJ – November 9, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it coming i can’t get enough of SOA this is the best show ever!!! wish it was longer!!

Comment by Heather – November 9, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Clay lives but this locks Jax in and added bonus is Abel’s mom back. So many ways to go but all bad for Clay and power for Jax and Opie.

Comment by hugh – November 9, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show could run 53 weeks a year and I wouldn’t miss an episode…Man, I’m hooked! Great acting is as much of the attraction as well as the story lines and whole concept! Well done FX on another show…or two? or three? or….?

Comment by beaker49 – November 9, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am so addicted to this show. Me & my dad both have Samcro hoodies, & we count down started Monday how many hours are left until 10:00 on Tuesday<3

Comment by Trina – November 24, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad that there will be another episode. After watching last night’s show, I was shell-shocked. How do the actors handle such horrible things happening? Tara’s hand, Clay’s beating of Gemma… holy cow, I need closure!

Comment by TMH06122001 – November 10, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AN EMMY CONTENDER… CAST AND SERIES!!

Comment by Linda – November 15, 2011 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show.. The suspense keeps you going week after week. Clay, as bad as he is, keeps the show “alive”. Jaks and Gema balance out the show. The club members are all terrific.

Comment by Susan – November 16, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is definately the best show on tv right now. All i know is that Clay has to die soon.

Comment by wle72 – November 18, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems strange that Abel’s mom reappears just as Tara is injured, so she most likely is going to be killed. But both boys will need a mom and Jax will need someone to pick up the pieces. That will keep him in Charming for season 5 and hopefully taking over as President. Whatever happens to Tara…CLAY NEEDS TO DIE!

Comment by KV – November 22, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that Clay needs to die. I completely hate him. But from the preview, it looks like Opie took care of it (:

Comment by Trina – November 24, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thats good! that means the seson wilol end on my B-day.
    thats a good present.

Comment by michael dauzat – November 22, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OPIE IS THE ONLY TRULY RIGHTOUS BIKER ON THE SHOW, THERE JUST SEEMS TO BE A LOT MORE DOPE AND GUN MONEY FLOATING AROUND A SMALL ONE PERCENTER RED AND WHITE SUPPORT CLUB FROM OVER IN THE VALLEY. “JAX” IS SO BUSY TRYING TO PLAY A HEART THROB RATHER THAN FILLING HIS SPOT AS NUMBER 2 MAN AT THE HEAD OF THE CLUB. ANYWAY I’M STILL HANGING IN HOPING IT WILL GET IT RIGHT SOON

Comment by TOM CRAMER – November 23, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about Opie. But about Jax, I think he should focus on being a father. His family should not be brought up around the club. It should be their choice if they join Samcro, or any MC. But if they’re raised around the club, they’ll be pretty much force fed that it’s the way to go.

Comment by Trina – November 24, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, I have to say that I am ecstatic that the season is extended. I hate the fact that it’s ending, & i cannot wait for the next season to start <3

Comment by Trina – November 24, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that clay should die and tig and Gemma will hook up again!

Comment by Simplelife – November 29, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • N hésitez pas a partager cette article. Il en vaut vraiment le coup. Cela me paraît fort intéressant. Amicalement,

Comment by expert en technique seo – October 30, 2012 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post