Ratings: AMC's Hell on Wheels Enjoys Heavenly Debut – Did You Watch It?

Get More: News, Ratings

Hell on Wheels got off to a promising start in the ratings Sunday.

AMC’s Western-themed drama attracted 4.4 million viewers to rank as the network’s second-best series premiere in history (behind zombie phenom The Walking Dead).

“I congratulate the entire cast and crew of Hell on Wheels for pulling off a project of this scope,” said AMC prez Charlie Collier in a statement. “Bringing the grandeur of the old west and the building of the railroad to life is no small feat and the Gaytons, with their team, have delivered a beautiful world of which we are all so proud. We look forward to sharing the lives of these characters in the weeks and months to come.”

TVLine readers, meanwhile, thus far have given Sunday’s premiere an average ratings of “C+” (per the poll below), suggesting Wheels‘ may take a hit in Week 2. Will you tune next Sunday?

Comments (19)

• im amazed that micheal ausiello likes good tv, he usually only talks about crappy tv :)

Comment by lol – November 7, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss my Deadwood. :(

Comment by Tania – November 7, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed Deadwood definitely gone too soon

Comment by Bob – November 7, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too.

Comment by Amber – November 7, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is a good show-but I really miss Al and Woo Who/Woo?) and the incredible acting/writing. Best C*cksucking drama ever!

Comment by Christine – November 13, 2011 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed HOW and I’m surprised at all the negative reviews.

Comment by PJL – November 7, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that’s the guy from Crossroads. He looks so gross now.

Comment by Snapy – November 7, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The worst thing that could happen since THE KILLING.

Comment by kevin – November 7, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I stopped watching The Killing after 3 epis.

Comment by Lisa – November 7, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed it! Solid first episode. I’ll check a few more out and decide if I’ll keep watching.

Comment by s. – November 7, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was a little clunky in the middle, but I thought it ended on a strong note and really created some intrigue with the mystery and the revenge aspect. I will certainly continue watching, see how it goes and expands

Comment by Neva – November 7, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed the pilot very much and look forward to the rest of the season. Quality television.

Comment by MoreTears – November 7, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it. I thought the production values were top notch and with all the new schlock on tv right now, it’s a big step up. I don’t know who the main villain/railroad prez was but he sure reminded me of the professor in Rocky Horror.

Comment by BeachBum – November 7, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s Colm Meaney, he played Chief O’Brien, on Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Comment by Christine – November 13, 2011 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AAAAHHHHHHH!!! Not only did I forget to watch this, I forgot to watch The Walking Dead last night too. AAAAHHHHH!!!! Here’s hoping I can find reruns on AMC without having to wait a whole week.

I was really excited about Hell on Wheels, I can’t believe I forgot to watch it. I LOVE Westerns. AMC + a Western-themed show seemed like an unbeatable combination to me.

Comment by Amber – November 7, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll give it a couple of episodes, but not a show I usually like. Others who, do, I’m glad it did well

Comment by Scott – November 7, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I “watched” the episode by FFing through it until I found the “exclusive” clip from next week’s tWD. I do plan on doing a proper watch later this week.

Plus, I think a lot of people who are fans of other AMC shows, such as tWD and Mad Men, will give anything on AMC a try simply by default. I am one of those people, however, I have only stuck with half the shows.

Comment by Pam – November 8, 2011 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Refused to watch it for a few reasons. #1 reason was that it looked like a cheap rip-off of Deadwood. I also have decided to boycott all new AMC shows due to the fiasco called The Killing. I’ll still tune in for Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, & Mad Men, but I’m not watching any new shows on AMC

Comment by JR – November 8, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the acting in The Killing was some of the best ever on TV (despite the show), and I liked HOW very much. But “what do I know. ” AMC is still doing a better job than most other cable and network, including even much of HBO.

Comment by MarilynM – November 11, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post