Exclusive

Glee's Chris Colfer on Kurt and Blaine's 'First Time,' Showing Skin and Romance With Karofsky

Chris Colfer is kissing and telling about this Tuesday’s top-notch episode of Glee that finds Kurt and Blaine (Darren Criss) rounding the bases together for the first time. But the poignant hour isn’t all about S-E-X. It’s also about awkward reunions (welcome back, Karofsky!), new villains (hello there, Sebastian!) and brand new sets (gay bar!). The Emmy nominee weighs in on all of the above and answers the most asked question in the Klaine community. Yes, I’m talking about that question.

TVLINE | Over the summer you told me you were going to pitch [Glee co-creator] Ryan Murphy a Kurt/Blaine story that had never been told on TV before. Was this the story?
No. I’m still pitching. [Laughs] My story might be a little too controversial.

TVLINE | Can you say yet what that story is?
No, I don’t want to jinx it. But trust me, you’ll know. Your jaw will hit the floor.

TVLINE | What was your reaction when you read the script for this week’s episode, “The First Time?”
Prior to getting the script Ryan approached Darren and I and told us that they were doing a virginity episode, and Darren and I just kind of looked at each other with wide eyes like, “Huh? What?’ And while we always have faith in the writers, we were a little skeptical. But then we got the script and shot it and everything was fine. What I thought could be raunchy and over-the-top was just very sweet and emotional. That’s kind of how it is with Glee. Ryan will come up and tell me they’re [tackling] this big, sensitive issue and I’ll freak out. But then I have no reason to freak out because it’s always handled really well.

Glee Exclusive: Smallville Vet Cast as Sam’s Dad!

TVLINE | This is arguably the most intimate you and Darren have been together — as characters and as actors. Was it awkward?
Not really. We just kind of dove in. People always make a big deal about a kissing scene or a love scene, but it really isn’t. You have to realize it’s you, another actor and a room full of 40 crew members.

TVLINE | When fans heard that I had screened the episode in advance they bombarded me on Twitter with very specific questions about the love scene.
[Sigh] I know.

TVLINE | Specifically, they wanted to know if you were shirtless during it. I broke the bad news to them that you were wearing a shirt.
[Laughs] I was totally [prepared] to have to do a shirtless scene. Or at least wear like a tank [top] or something. I even asked if I could wear a tank and they said no.

TVLINE | Did they say why?
I think having two gay guys having sex on television was enough. They didn’t want to [reveal] a bunch of skin on top of it. I was like, “I want to wear a tank! Let me wear a tank!” [Ultimately], I wore a T-shirt.

Glee Spoiler Alert: 8 Things You Must Know About the Sex-cellent Episode, ‘The First Time’

TVLINE | My favorite scene in the episode was the one between Kurt and Karofsky [Max Adler] at the gay bar.
That was absolutely my favorite scene as well.

TVLINE | What did you like about it?
First, I was excited because I never actually shot a scene at a bar before. And there are just so many cool things you can do as an actor: you can grab your drink, you can play with a cherry, you can lean on the bar, you can lean on a stool. I loved that. And also it was great to see that character again and see what happened to [him]. The honesty behind [Karofsky] is kind of heartbreaking. That’s his life now. That grungy bar is the place where he found acceptance.

TVLINE | There’s a small segment of the Glee fan base pushing for a Kurt/Karofsky romance. And I have to say, after watching that scene, I kind of get it.
I think it’s a great idea. I think people love Kurt and Blaine so much that they would never stray from that. But maybe if Blaine and Kurt take a break that would be a great alternative. I would like to see that happen.

TVLINE | Speaking of which, the episode also marked the introduction of the first real threat for Kurt and Blaine: Sebastian.
Oh my God. I was so excited. When I found out that there was a character coming in to try and take Blaine away from Kurt my first thought was, “Why does nobody ever love Kurt? Why does nobody love me. Why does nobody ever pursue Kurt?” My second thought was that I was so excited that there was something coming up between Kurt and Blaine besides the puppy-dog love scenes they’ve been in since Season 2. I was so excited there was some kind of drama. I got to play Kurt in a territorial light, which I was excited about. I like Sebastian. I like his presence.

TVLINE | What kind of threat will he be moving forward?
We’ll see. I think Sebastian is one of those very promiscuous, driven characters that once they have their eyes on something they don’t give up easily. Let me just say this won’t be the last time we’ll see Sebastian try and steal Blaine.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. jackie says:

THANK GOD.I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO DISLIKED SEBASTIAN’S ACTING.
    HIS STUPID SMILE THROUGH THE WHOLE SCENE.THE GLEEKS FAWING OVER HIM IS
    INSANE. CHRIS IS HOTTER, AND THE GLEE PRODUCER RM DOESN’T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT
    HIS CHARACTER. WHY CAN’T HE BE ALLOWED TO WEAR A TANK TOP. ARE THEY AFRAID
    HIS BODY WILL BE HOTTER THAN DARREN’S.WHAT A BUNCH OF IDIOT’S.

• adam says:

THANH YOUR so much I thought I was the only who couldn’t stand this new guy’s acting it is just awful. I really hope his storyline is a short one I really don’t wana watch him on my screen. If they wanted drama for them they should have brought in Blaine’s father to see how he responds to Blaine’s relationship with Kurt. That would have been more interesting.

• Jim says:

I think the reason for the t-shirt is actually in line with Chris’ character. Kurt is naive when it comes to sex, and based upon the discussion with his dad, he’s a bit of a prude. Wearing a shirt seems completely likely until he was more comfortable.

2. Kate says:

Lol. You keep pushing Kurtofsky Ausiello. If nothing else, it’s entertaining to watch you try and shift focus from the real love triangle happening in the episode.

• Jim says:

I appreciate that not everyone would like to see Kurt get together with Dave. Despite the protestations about the “message” it would send and that it’s “triggering”, the likely reason is that some fans don’t see this as an attractive couple. I’m gay and my personal experience only, is that it’s likely not so much that Kurt would like Dave, but Dave likely would have issues with being around Kurt, since Kurt is flamboyant, very comfortable in his own skin, and somewhat of a sterotype. Dave, as a character, finds this awkward, so likely wouldn’t be attracted to that.

In any event, Glee is going to have to do something a little more interesting than some of the lousy storylines they have going, whether you like Kurtofsky or not, to deal with their falling ratings and generally mediocre plotlines and reviews.

3. Andrew says:

Kurt has always been one of my least favorite parts of Glee. I don’t like the actor particularly, especially his singing voice, and as far as a gay character, I think Kurt is a ridiculous caricature. He has been more tolerable with Blaine, and some of the storylines they have given his character were powerful, but the show overall is such a mess anyway that it has taken away a lot of the impact. I do hope that they don’t make Kurtofsky a thing, however. It sends a pretty bad message – not one of redemption, but that abuse is ok as long as you are sorry (until you do it again). I would like to see them as friends, perhaps, but that is all.

• jake says:

Caricature? Kurt has always been the most developed individual on the show. He’s had an amazing journey that unfortunately the other characters haven’t also been granted. Just because you don’t like his voice or he’s too effeminate for your tastes doesn’t make him anything less than a wonderful complex character with a lot of layers past his clothes.

• Andrew says:

I have never had a problem with his being effeminate. I do have a problem with him being a checklist of every bad gay stereotype imaginable. I don’t find him to be a wonderfully complex character, as they do not exist on Glee. The show does not have that much depth. All of the characters are often bad cliche stereotypes. They have ruined Sue, who used to be the funniest part of the show but now is just a cartoon character waiting to drop an anvil on the Glee club. I do give Glee some credit for some of the boundary pushing they have done with gay storylines, but I think overall that Kurt and most of the characters are badly written. True, I don’t like the actor’s singing voice, but then I also can’t stand Finn’s voice either. It isn’t about him being gay. It’s about Glee being as deep as a puddle.

• jake says:

Again, I feel you’re holding onto the surface features. He likes fashion, he has a high voice, etc. But you see deeper into the character through Chris’ portrayal. He’s not perfect, he has intense insecurities and conflict within himself that he overcomes over 3 seasons. Although I feel these were better shown in S1 than 2, but they are still there and keep him from being what you accuse. He’s grown and matured as a character more than any other (though Puck was subtly given a bit of depth too last season), just look at the pilot to whatever season 3 episode we’re on now.

• Jim says:

I think your assessment is bang on!

4. tyler says:

To everyone who is saying Max is better than Darren, I disagree. Max and Darren are both okay actors, but neither of them are emmy or golden globe material. Why does Kurt’s only option have to be Blaine or Max? I just hope if they do bring on someone new for Kurt (once Klaine breaks up of course), they’ll look for someone who can go toe to toe with Chris Colfer in the acting department. That would be something to see.

• Ash says:

I agree with you RE: Max and Darren. They both have their strengths (Max was great at the aggressive bully stuff and Darren can really sell a music performance) but neither of them are worlds better than the other and neither of them can hold a candle to Chris. I had hoped the Grant would be good so watching Kurt and Sebastian go toe-to-toe over Blaine would be exciting , but he’s clearly playing in the shallow pool when it comes to acting.

5. Stefanie says:

I hope Ausiello sends Chris Colfer a care package or something for generating so much interest in this article based mostly on two or three questions. Chris Trollfer is our king!

Oh, I am ticked off at the writers for allowing Darren Criss to wear a tank top in the sex scene but not Chris Colfer. Pretty gross double standard in play there, and I hope people don’t just let it slide. Call them out for that crap! Showing some bare arms of a gay guy – even if his character is supposed to be pretty effeminate – isn’t going to harm anyone.

6. K says:

God, how do you survive? Everyone has some sort of bias.

7. K says:

“until you do it again”

Now that’s just offensive, just from a general point of view, nothing to do with the show.

It also tells me that you weren’t really paying attention last season, if you really think Karofsky would be capable of such abuse again.

8. K says:

Right, because Chris couldn’t possibly change his mind with the direction Karofsky’s story took.

9. Federico says:

I can’t wait to see Max Adler back on Glee!!!! And i’m dying to hear him singing!!!! He MUST be on New Directions!!! ^_^

10. K says:

Didn’t they divorce in the end? Lol, just sayin’.

11. K says:

Right, because redemption, change, and forgiveness are the components of a truly damaging message. Karofsky is one of the few characters who’s had real, consistent character growth. He and Puck both.

• Carla says:

He can be redeemed and changed while he’s dating someone else. He’s apologized to Kurt and as far as we know Kurt has forgiven him. Kurt does not owe Karofsky a single thing beyond that. And accepting Karofsky’s apology is more about Kurt than Karofsky anyway. I’m not trying to be mean to you or other people who ship Kurtofsky, but that is the biggest problem I have with the fans who rally for this. You all are worried about Karofsky and not Kurt. I’m all for Karofsky getting into a healthy relationship, but it doesn’t/shouldn’t NEED to be with Kurt.

12. lol-glee says:

I don’t know why people are surprised about Chris’ interest in a Kurtofsky storyline. I’m not an advocate of Kurtofsky but I’m guessing the Kurtofsky bar scene has somehow changed Chris’ feelings towards the possibility of a potential relationship and if I’m going to trust anyone’s judgement, it’s his. There is no reason for people to be censoring Chris’ opinion since none of us have even seen the episode. He obviously loves doing scenes and storylines that challenge him acting wise and Kurtofsky is certainly a welcome change from the very mellow dynamic Kurt and Blaine have. I’m sorry but Darren’s acting is no where near as good as Chris’ and I can see that they struggle to keep up a believable chemistry from the promos alone. I know they’re good friends in real life and I understand they both do ship Klaine but from a fairly objective standpoint they aren’t really bringing it to the table and unfortunately it’s something neither of them can fix – you either have chemistry or you don’t. What’s worse is that the writers decided to juxtapose Klaine’s first time with Finchel’s first time. Here you’ve got a couple with very believable chemistry and whose characters have gotten around three years of build up being compared to a couple with lackluster chemistry and minimal build up between the transition from friends to boyfriends. I think a lot of Klaine shippers are so focused on the fact that they are one of the few progressive gay relationships on TV that they forget about the fact that a relationship is a relationship, regardless of sexuality. If you strip away the fact that Klaine is a gay relationship, the dynamic and build up falls short of original expectations. Klaine is quickly degenerating into Tike and although I do understand why people like the steadiness of these two relationships, TV is there for viewers to learn from problems and relate to the conflicts the characters go through. I’m sorry but nobody will tune into a show week after week if the characters don’t have conflict. As for Sebastian I think he’ll bring in some interesting conflict for Kurt and Blaine that’ll hopefully develop their relationship more than we’ve seen. Conflict is always good in television. Conflict fosters character growth and development and while I don’t ship Klaine, I would, at the very least, like to see them develop into a more mature couple.

13. CJ says:

I wish there’d do a spin of for the warblers starting back when Blaine first went to dalton, that way we’ll get the warblers without them taking screen to from the others while we still get to see the dalton boys. I’d also prefer them to do a spin of with kurt and rachel after high school instead of keeping them in glee. That way everyone wins, it may be hard to maintain several different shows at a time but thats why you get someone to help. This is because if everyone is staying next year plus adding even more people, with they way people are going on about screen time this season there may not be another season and people will just keep complaining. Me I think I’d rather watch the warblers, I love their scenes. I just take what I can get, I skip the parts I don’t like and I keep my mouth shut, It’s not like they will ever listen to me, they’ve all ready said they were’nt going to do spin offs but it would solve must peoples complants.

14. Carla says:

I never knew so many people had such wrong opinions.

15. RD says:

The actor gives an interiew and everything you care about is why he wasn’t shirtless. That’s ridiculous.

16. sarah says:

Thank you for asking about Dave Karofsky, us Kurtofsky fans realy appreciate it! You’re awesome! :D

• Andrew says:

I am not sure how you can be a fan of a character who tormented someone so badly he had to go to another school out of fear for his life. You don’t just tie that up in a nice bow and say all is forgiven, let’s date now! Yes, Karofsky has his own struggle, like so many self-hating gays who take out their hatred on others (see: politics). It is great that he can come to like himself, but it doesn’t undo the abuse.

• Jim says:

I don’t think she’s suggesting that being a fan of karofsky implies that she condones the abuse. She can speak for herself, but as some have pointed out here, in some very minor screen time, the Karofsky character has generated a lot of discussion, and arguably has had the most development of his character. This is either a testament to the actor, or to the controversy of the storyline which, like it or hate it, is interesting. A person may not agree, or feel that Kurt and Dave would work because of their past, but the prospect is intriguing. The same can’t be said for most of the other characters on this show.

17. Marie says:

Firstly considering the hate-train Chris got when he at one point stated he doesn’t support a relationship between Karofsky and Kurt, it doesn’t surprise me at all that he said it this way. It’s an alternative.
    His choice of words makes it pretty obvious that he likes Klaine tho, he never mentions them breaking up, just taking a break.
    I for one hope that the writers never even consider it, I have personal reasons to find it horribly offensive and wrong. You don’t date someone who assaulted you, it would be horrible to show kids that that’s okay.

As for the shirtless thing… Although a part of me gets where that comes from, I’m still a bit offended. I’ve always assumed that Chris hasn’t wanted to or simply hasn’t mentioned it, but now that he clearly says he wanted that.. Almost all the other guys in the main cast have been shirtless on screen, and those who haven’t have at least worn just a tank or so.
    I don’t even care about the fact that I don’t get to see him shirtless, but it bothers me that he was denied it because there’s no good reason for it.

18. Ana says:

T-shirt? T-SHIRT?! *insert graphic of Chris when cameras stopped rolling during the Thriller shooting* this is so sad ;__; but ok, I understand.

19. David says:

***TIME OUT***

STOP ALL THE HATE!!!

THIS IS TOO MUCH!!!

There is enough darn hatred in this world! Glee fans should not be like this. It’s awful!

20. Jo says:

Personally I hope that Kurt will be with Dave and Blaine with Sebastian :)

• Amelie says:

hm
      I’m taking the time and thinking about it but… I don’t like those two characters… also it would mean enduring a cheating/emotional infidelity storyline.

I like Kurt with Blaine. I’m probably going to stick with them.

21. Anna says:

Oh, please… a Kurtofsky romance is all I’m asking for now that the rest of the show is so plain boring… and Seblaine, yes… that could be interesting too!
    I’m looking forward for the next episode just for David and Sebastian!
    Colfer and Adler are great actors and they can bring out the best in each others when they are together… and Criss, who isn’t such an amazing actor, has way more chemistry with Gustin (or Michele) than with anybody else…

22. Zane says:

Any single thing on the planet would be more interesting than boring Klaine so I really can’t blame Chris if he is pushing for smg else, whatever it is. I’m not really crazy about the Kurtofsky idea, but they still have more chemistry than Klaine.

23. Paige says:

How on earth are they at a bar?! They’re in high school….

24. lolcats says:

TVLINE | When fans heard that I had screened the episode in advance they wanted very specific details about the love scene.
    [Sigh] I know.

25. Jem says:

I’m curious as to what the controversial storyline is.

I’m intrigued as to why Chris has changed his mind; especially given his firm stance about his own experiences and how he’ll never forgive his own bullies. However, he’s always been one that cares more about Kurt’s story than any relationship Kurt has/may have.

Personally, I am very much against Kurtfosky as anything more than friends, and I don’t think they will go there, but if they do, what can I do? I’d just stop watching.

26. tyler says:

I think Karofsky needs a few years of anger management therapy before they should consider pairing him with Kurt. I can see it now, whenever Dave gets irritated with Kurt he’ll just slam him into something. People don’t change overnight.

27. mawhi says:

Kurt and Karofsky? It’s scary to me that people entertain that. He threatened to kill him. He harassed and abused and tormented him. This isn’t Beauty and the Beast. (Watch, now that I’ve said that the storyline’s gonna happen and they’re gonna use songs from Beauty and the Beast.)

28. tyler says:

Apologizing doesn’t fix everything. How many battered partners have been apologized to only to end up beaten again. I agree a character like Karofsky could be redeemed, but realistically he needs years of therapy. I hope Glee won’t go there just because some fans think it would be hot. Young people should be able to see a healthy gay relationship portrayed on Glee. I’m not the biggest Klaine fan in the world, but I think the couple could remain interested if the writers were less lazy and didn’t have to revert to the tired old triangle plotlines. Aren’t there alot of other issues they could explore with a teen couple? I guess it’s too much to hope for with Glee.

• RD says:

Sorry Tyler, but if you don’t see the difference between domestic violence and 17 years old boy who acted out of fear, then something’s wrong with you. I’ve been there – inner coming out is very difficult process. Fortunately, Chris Colfer understands and is willing to give that story a chance. And do I have to remind you he’s very smart, wise and tolerant person?

• alan says:

Thanks for this.

29. O says:

I just read the replies to this article. Crazy Klaine and Kurtofsky fans are so annoying.

30. ME! says:

I have to agree with Chris about the Sebastian-Storyline. I’m really disappointed that Kurt is the jealous one again and that, just to put some drama into Klaine, they couldn’t think of anything better than another lovetriangle. And I also agree with the Karofsky part, that’s the only part of that episode I’m excited about right now.
    I always wanted Kurt to be pursued,but seems like that’ll never happen.

31. dess says:

lol kurtofsky shippers. dave must be the most boring character on that show. ohh an angry gay dude who bullies. LETS ALL FEEL BAD FOR HIM BECAUSE HES SO CONFUSED. ugh.

32. Molly says:

Why does RIB think the only way to have drama with Kurt and Blaine is to have a boring love triangle? it was stupid with Finchel and it will be stupid here. There are so many other options. Kurt and/or Blaine is victim of a hate crime, they get involved in the gay rights movement, Blaine’s parents dislike Kurt because his super-gayness makes them uncomfortable, Kurt worries about his future with Blaine when he goes to New York and Blaine stays behind, something other than another guy (like differences in personality or goals) gets in the way in a realistic fashion…the possibilities for a dramatic storyline that’s more interesting than some silly love triangle are endless.

• charlene says:

I agree. But the Glee writers seem to only know how to do love triangles, when in reality most couples don’t even come near situations like that.

33. Desiree says:

I think this is going be one crazy episode for Kurt and Blane. I can’t wait to see it. Thing are going to get inersting.

34. Em says:

im just WAYYYY to excited for this episode!!! i luv klaine!! although i do love them, its exciting to finally c some drama come in!!! and yes… i was also REALLY hoping for a shirtless scene!! lolz!!! <3 em both!!! cuties!! :D

35. Bob says:

Its just a.tv show sheesh. Get over yourselves and enjoy it for what it is

36. hal says:

Karofsky did pursue Kurt

37. Tammy says:

Guess we’re finished with watching Glee. How sad since we really like Damian!! Just not going to have more “gayness” shoved down my throat. I have gay friends who think it’s too much, so this opinion is not just coming from a happily married Mother of 2!!

• Hannah says:

Aw. That makes me sad. I mean, there are gay people in the world, in high school. ): I’m sorry you’ll stop watching Glee. I think sometimes it’s a little lacking in what I believe in (I for one don’t believe in sex before marriage) but there can be some good messages in there. IDK.

38. lia says:

Exactly! I really want to see Blain. Get jelous…

39. HD says:

I TOTALLY ADORE CHRIS COLFER! HE IS AN AMAZING ACTOR AND ARTIST AND A FANTASTIC HUMAN BEING! MORE CHRIS COLFER’S INTERVIEWS, PLEASE! HE ALWAYS HAS THE BEST AND THE MOST HONEST ANSWERS! I CANNOT WAIT FOR MORE CHRIS COLFER / KURT HUMMEL ON SCREEN! THANK YOU.

40. Adam says:

“That” question was whether Kurt takes his shirt off?? I thought for sure it was going to be “who’s the top and who’s the bottom?”

• Ms. Pierce says:

Please! I think we all know the answer to that. Kurt is for sure the more timid an uncomfortable one. Even if he decides later that he doesn’t want to be a bottom, he will be on the bottom for his first time. He’s too unsure of things. He’s going to let Blaine take control. There is no doubt in my mind.

41. Georgina says:

I think everyone is misinterpreting Chris’ statement about Kurtofsky. I doubt he actually likes this pairing, but he’s sure can be intrigued with the acting possibilities. I mean, for an talented actor as Chris is always more thrilling to participate in a controversial couple storyline, than being a in super cute and super boring perfect relationship.

42. Abby says:

I really want Brittney to be with Rory a little but i always liked Blaine and Rachel together.

43. NLynn says:

Well since Sebastaian is going to try to get in with Blaine apparently, I think a friendship between Dave and Kurt would be great! A friendship not a relationship. Maybe Kurt could help try to distract Sebastian with Dave as a way to help his new friend fit in, and as a way to get some of the heat off Kurt’s man! LOL I think this sounds like a plausible idea!

• Amanda says:

Oh my, you are reading my mind! After the spoilers were released, the new character Sebastian will be hitting on Blaine, I thought – what if Kurt will try to hook him up with Karofsky?

44. Mads says:

WOW. You would think fellow Gleeks would have more respect for others’ opinions, but judging by these comments, thats not true. Its so sad…

45. Ms. Pierce says:

I can’t wait to see the gay bar! I’m so glad they are going to one. I’m sure it won’t be too overly scandalous, though. This is Lima, after all. Also, I’ve been hoping for a Kurt/Karofsky romantic story line for a while. I think it could actually be pretty good. I mean, I like Klaine a lot, and Darren Criss is super cute, but, let’s cut the crap, he’s so short. Idk how many more camera angles they can imagine up before they just have him stand on a stool. lol

46. Fredo says:

I absolutely love + fully support the idea of a Kurtofsky hook-up. Bring on the reformed teddy bear!

47. Sierra. Prichard says:

I love u kurt

48. annie says:

klaine 4 ever !!!! dislike the fact that glee is making drama btw the two, I mean ya stuff like that does happen in relationships but in this case don’t like it one bit , ya it is a good call as a director of a show to find new storylines,but I’m not a fan of this although I am BEYOND Excited for tuesday night because generally here in relationships what there doing in this episode is a intimate beautiful thing with any two couples

49. Hannah says:

Whatever makes Kurt happy. That’s all I say. :) I love Darren, and he can act, you can’t blame the writer for lack of a character. Maybe they could introduce Blaine’s (unsupportive) parents, or talk about his past bullying more. Add some depth. That would make Blaine more interesting. But I do love Klaine, because Kurt is happy and Lord knows he needs some happiness. Blaine does seem flat, but is that really Darren’s fault? I’m not opposed to Kurtofsky, but I don’t think it’s a good message. But that’s just my opinion, I understand if you don’t feel the same, I’m not trying to stir anything. :)